PDA

View Full Version : But will he be worthy?

Hondo
26th October 2010, 16:12
For a change of pace, I thought I'd start the "worthy or lucky" champion debate before the end of the season. My candidates for worthy champions comes down to Alonso and Webber, any others would be lucky champions. The reasoning behind this is that they are the only two drivers completely in control of their own destinies, barring mechanical problems or collisions induced by others. If either driver wins the next 2 races, he will be champion regardless of how the rest of the field finishes and be worthy. Alonso has the luxury of being able to win one race, and go 1 - 6 on the second race. We'll see.

N. Jones
26th October 2010, 17:15
Every champion is worthy, regardless of how people perceive the driver "won" it.

Tazio
26th October 2010, 18:13
I can see where this thread is heading :wave: :beer: :burp: boo hoo!! :bigcry: :s mokin:

driveace
26th October 2010, 19:58
BUT if Ferrari and Alonso had points deducted for the race fixing,then it would be a differant situation.And so if Alonso wins people will see it as a sour ending to the year

Rollo
26th October 2010, 20:12
Every champion is worthy, regardless of how people perceive the driver "won" it.

I don't think that that's necessarily true. There is at least one incident which disproves this theory.

CNR
26th October 2010, 21:52
BUT if Ferrari and Alonso had points deducted for the race fixing,then it would be a differant situation.And so if Alonso wins people will see it as a sour ending to the year

if he wins it by under 7 points

Big Ben
26th October 2010, 22:21
whatever floats your boat. I hope he wins it by 0 points if thatīs possible.

N. Jones
27th October 2010, 01:54
I don't think that that's necessarily true. There is at least one incident which disproves this theory.

He only neat Massa by one point. That is still worthy in my book. :)

Hawkmoon
27th October 2010, 04:30

He only neat Massa by one point. That is still worthy in my book. :)

I think our English friend is talking about Schumi in '94 and the move in Adelaide that forever blighted the German's reputation in Old Blighty.

Rollo
27th October 2010, 04:55
Actually I was thinking of Suzuka in 1990 but I didn't want to sound like a broken record... broken record... broken record... broken record...

555-04Q2
27th October 2010, 05:46
1. He has chased down the two fastest cars on the grid to take the WDC lead.

2. F1 is a team sport and team orders exist whether we like it or not. Just because a rule book says otherwise does not mean is does not happen. Most people speed on the roads, the law says you can't, but we do it anyway. We are all cheating b@st@rds that break the rule books. Understand people?

3. And lastly, hell yes he would be worthy, even if he can be a bit of a prat most of the time.

Mia 01
27th October 2010, 08:37
Was MS WDC s worthy?

It will be interesting to see what approach the other teams takes next year.

Team orders from the beginning of the season?

Hondo
27th October 2010, 08:37
If Button wins the championship, it will be pure luck. He needs too much bad stuff to happen to too many other people. Hamilton would be a lucky champion, although he, like Alonso is capable of making his own luck by getting more performance from a lesser car than is thought possible. The side effect of doing that is shooting yourself in the foot but that's life in the "all or nothing" game. Hamilton also needs too many others to fail, before he can succeed. Vettle could have been worthy and in fact, could have already had this thing in the bag. Now, even if he wins the last 2 races, he'll still need poor finishes from those ahead of him so he falls into the lucky category. Webber, like Vettle, could have already had this thing in the bag but he still controls his destiny and would be a worthy champion by winning the next 2 races. Just winning 1 race and winning the championship will downgrade him to lucky. Alonso would be a worthy champ. All things considered he has been better than the car he was given to race. I'll not get bogged down in the team orders thing because I believe team orders are ok. I know of no other "team" sport where the coach tells the players to go out on the field and do whatever they feel like doing. Team racing should be no different. Alonso can take the championship with a win and a decent finish. He is in charge of his destiny.

Mark
27th October 2010, 09:04
Was MS WDC s worthy?

As much as it pains me to say it, yes! He may have cheated to get it in the end, and Damon Hill was probably more worthy to be 1994 champion, but that doesn't mean that Schumacher wasn't a deserving winner in that year.

ArrowsFA1
27th October 2010, 09:22
In many ways anyone other than a Red Bull driver will be "lucky" to win the WDC simply because their team have provided Webber and Vettel with the best car. One of those two should win the title.

The flip side of that is that anyone beating the Red Bulls will be deserving of the title because they will have beaten the car of the year.

Mark
27th October 2010, 11:11
In many ways anyone other than a Red Bull driver will be "lucky" to win the WDC simply because their team have provided Webber and Vettel with the best car. One of those two should win the title.

I'd dispute that. You are only the best if you get to the finish. Being quick in qualifying is nothing.

mike.flynn
27th October 2010, 12:06
I'm a ferrari fan, but i want Webber to win the WDC, I personally think he's been the best driver this year, especially after the whole front wing scandal and Red Bull obviously supporting vettel more

ArrowsFA1
27th October 2010, 12:17
I'd dispute that. You are only the best if you get to the finish. Being quick in qualifying is nothing.
It's a strong indicator of pace, and the RB6 has been on pole at 14 of the 17 races so far. That should have been converted into more points so Ferrari & McLaren can themselves fortunate that it hasn't.

Still, you're right, pole doesn't earn you any points.

Sonic
27th October 2010, 12:34
Worthy? In that he is probably the fastest driver? Yes.

In that he's a cheating one who has been involved in several questionable situations in his career of which by far the least serious was Germany this year? No. He will never be worthy.

Big Ben
27th October 2010, 15:34
itīs quite funny to see anonymous internet users analyzing so harshly the worthiness of a f1 champion... and it gets funnier the harsher the analyze gets and the more championships the subject has under his belt

wedge
27th October 2010, 15:49
For a change of pace, I thought I'd start the "worthy or lucky" champion debate before the end of the season. My candidates for worthy champions comes down to Alonso and Webber, any others would be lucky champions. The reasoning behind this is that they are the only two drivers completely in control of their own destinies, barring mechanical problems or collisions induced by others. If either driver wins the next 2 races, he will be champion regardless of how the rest of the field finishes and be worthy. Alonso has the luxury of being able to win one race, and go 1 - 6 on the second race. We'll see.

So hard to choose a worthy driver this year.

Alonso was donkey for much of the first half of the year but he is like Jimmie Johnson and peaks at the right moment.

Webber and Vettel made some dumb mistakes and have the advantage of being in the best car.

Hamilton's only dumb error was in Italy. Singapore was a racing incident and with a bit more luck could have escaped damage to the car. On that basis I'd probably give to Hamilton.

Sonic
27th October 2010, 15:49
Worthy? In that he is probably the fastest driver? Yes.

In that he's a cheating one who has been involved in several questionable situations in his career of which by far the least serious was Germany this year? No. He will never be worthy.

Trust me Pino, the word you've deleted was far nicer than the one I had in mind for Mr Alonso. ;)

N. Jones
27th October 2010, 15:50
Actually I was thinking of Suzuka in 1990 but I didn't want to sound like a broken record... broken record... broken record... broken record...

Ah. I see. I'm not sure how to respond to that! :)

UltimateDanGTR
27th October 2010, 18:02
all champions are worhty champions IMO. But;

I think Webber would be the most deserved champion. he has been consistently fast all year without making many mistakes (2 that matter all year)

though i hate to say it, If Alonso wins, then credit will be due thanks to his blistering form of late. but, with Fredisfasterthanyou-gate and his numerous cock ups and angry attitude at the start of the year, I dont see him as a popular champion. Outside of Italy and Spain.

If Hamilton wins, then seemingly it will only be because of bad luck striking Webber and Alonso in the last two races. Despite being excellent for most of the season, It seems he will be less worhty than Webber and Alonso.

If Vettel wins, then he will have to be very lucky also. BUT-He has had some awful luck (Australia, Bahrain, Korea) and that would seem to level things out. BUT, Crashing into Webber and Button and various other mistakes, he has also thrown away some great chances of his own. overall, He would be alot less worthy than the other 3.

Jenson is out of it, So I'm counting him out of this. He would need a miracle, and we'd never hear the end of such an occurance off Ioan :D

I hope Webber wins on the basis of this, though I predict Alonso. If Alonso does win it, I will still be dissapointed, and IMO it will be a bit of a shame if he is crowned world champion after all his shannigans. but, His recent form has shown Alonso is one of the best, even if he wasnt for much of this year.

whoever wins, they've done extremely well, in the most competitive season in years.

Big Ben
27th October 2010, 20:05
Nice to see you are trying Dan. You give Alonso some credit... and you take it almost all away immediately but at least you are trying... One should appreciate the good intention :p : :laugh:

steveaki13
27th October 2010, 22:36
I always feel if you win the world title you were the best driver with the best tactics and are a fully worthy World Champion.

Simples.

Roamy
28th October 2010, 02:46
As much as it pains me to say it, yes! He may have cheated to get it in the end, and Damon Hill was probably more worthy to be 1994 champion, but that doesn't mean that Schumacher wasn't a deserving winner in that year.

PHULESE there is a hell of a difference in your TEAM mate letting you by and ramming someone off the track

Hawkmoon
28th October 2010, 04:19
PHULESE there is a hell of a difference in your TEAM mate letting you by and ramming someone off the track

Schumi was clearly the better the driver in '94. Despite an inferior car and missing 3 races (disqualified from a race he won and Benetton were banned from two others) he still outscored Hill.

F1boat
28th October 2010, 08:36
For me Alonso and Lewis will be very worthy, because they have inferior cars. Mark... yes, too, because it is obvious that he is not as liked as his teammate in his own team. For me Seb won't be that worthy, because he had clearly faster car and is obviously the favored son in his team. And, of course, Jenson will be insanely lucky to win from this situation.
But on the other hand every champion who has done the job is worthy - at least to a degree.

F1boat
28th October 2010, 08:37
Schumi was clearly the better the driver in '94. Despite an inferior car and missing 3 races (disqualified from a race he won and Benetton were banned from two others) he still outscored Hill.

Great that we are still discussing MS, but on the hand for me it is laughable that we are still talking about something which happened so many years ago. Yes, Michael reacted like a beast in that situation, but yes, he was clearly the better driver that season and he is much better than Damon. Still, Damon was a solid and fast driver and won what he deserved in 1996.
End of story.

Big Ben
28th October 2010, 08:46
Great that we are still discussing MS, but on the hand for me it is laughable that we are still talking about something which happened so many years ago. Yes, Michael reacted like a beast in that situation, but yes, he was clearly the better driver that season and he is much better than Damon. Still, Damon was a solid and fast driver and won what he deserved in 1996.
End of story.

Amen

Mark
28th October 2010, 10:25
End of story.

Although that particular incident make me intensely dislike Schumacher to this very day, he was a deserved champion in 1994, which was a very difficult year for all concerned.

mike.flynn
28th October 2010, 10:46
personally think Mark Webber would be the most deserving driver for the WDC this year, been the best driver this season

DexDexter
28th October 2010, 21:38
Nobody stands out this year. All the top drivers have made unforced errors, but who cares as long as it's exciting. And I tell you what, this year's champion is more worthy than last year's when one car was too dominant for much of the season.

555-04Q2
29th October 2010, 06:03
:erm: I nominate myself as the only worthy WDC for this year :s tareup:

Sonic
29th October 2010, 09:50
:erm: I nominate myself as the only worthy WDC for this year :s tareup:

Seconded! :D

555-04Q2
29th October 2010, 10:38
Thank you :)

Big Ben
29th October 2010, 11:46