PDA

View Full Version : BTCC: a feeder series?

MrMetro
25th October 2010, 14:57
I've been thinking of this for a while now, but do fans consider the BTCC a feeder series?

I don't, the reason being, is that the WTCC is such a poor championship at the moment, you would not think it is one the FIA's most prestigious championships.

The BTCC in my opinion is the most well known touring car championship in the world, its circuits are great, good grid and a good atmosphere.

RMLCruzeing82
25th October 2010, 15:47
i think all championships are feeder championships because everyone gives you the skills and lessons to race in other championships its a never ending thing

i think the BTCC is a solid championship in its own right. Alot of drivers want to be apart of the BTCC but it does give drivers the skills to do other things in there careers.

UltimateDanGTR
25th October 2010, 17:52
I think the BTCC is a very prestigious championship in it's own right, like all major national touring car championships are. We can see this by variety of cars, big fan support etc.

However, the BTCC can theoretically act as a feeder series and has before. Priaulx, Thompson and Yvan Muller are recent examples of drivers getting good international drives having done well in the BTCC.

Allyc85
26th October 2010, 17:20
As long as there is a world series for a type of racing then any national version is kind of a feeder series but the BTCC has such great racing and history that it just about rises above that tag IMO.

DazzlaF1
27th October 2010, 20:55
I think the BTCC is a very prestigious championship in it's own right, like all major national touring car championships are. We can see this by variety of cars, big fan support etc.

However, the BTCC can theoretically act as a feeder series and has before. Priaulx, Thompson and Yvan Muller are recent examples of drivers getting good international drives having done well in the BTCC.

Its also worth noting that at the moment 5 of the top 6 drivers in the WTCC standings all began their touring car trade on these shores.

NaBUru38
4th November 2010, 19:24
The BTCC has almost exclusively British drivers, teams and tracks. Racing can be good, but it lacks the prestige it had in the 1990s with several works teams and top drivers from other European countries.

PDS
4th November 2010, 20:44
Its also worth noting that at the moment 5 of the top 6 drivers in the WTCC standings all began their touring car trade on these shores.

I can only count 3 out of 6!

Priaulx, Huff and Menu!

MrMetro
4th November 2010, 20:56
I can only count 3 out of 6!

Priaulx, Huff and Menu!

well Tarquini made his name here as a touring car driver

MrMetro
4th November 2010, 20:56
Yvan Mullers career as a touring car driver was boosted by his championship victory in the BTCC

MrMetro
4th November 2010, 20:57
I know he wasn't in the WTCC this year, but Rickard Rydell got noticed in the BTCC

PDS
5th November 2010, 00:35
well Tarquini made his name here as a touring car driver

Yvan Mullers career as a touring car driver was boosted by his championship victory in the BTCC

Yes they may have made their names as touring car drivers here.. but they started their touring car careers in other countries.

Tarquini started in Italy. While Muller started in France, winning the 1995 championship, then going onto the Italian and then the German series before coming here.

BDunnell
5th November 2010, 10:40
Yes they may have made their names as touring car drivers here.. but they started their touring car careers in other countries.

Tarquini started in Italy. While Muller started in France, winning the 1995 championship, then going onto the Italian and then the German series before coming here.

I would suggest that, given the BTCC's stature at the time both Tarquini and Muller came into the championship, the very fact of both being selected to drive in the BTCC shows that they had already made their names in touring cars.