PDA

View Full Version : Mikko Hirvonen

uranium
25th October 2010, 08:36
Is not a big secret current season might be the worst in Mikko career. I am not going to say that he is not reason of his problems. A lot of issues is because of his mistakes.
But... I'd like to notice that in my humble opinion ford this year is not reliable and good racing car as e.g. last year. A lot of technical issues say it. The car is not going well in high altitude conditions like Mexico. Gearbox fail on Mikko car several rallies ago, turbo problem in Spane, clutch issue on Latvala car in Spane. Other I cannot remember at the moment...
As for me too much for manufacture team. I recalled me constant technical issues with Subaru.
I have only one explanation for now - Fors is preparing actively to next season with Fiesta and don't care about current season.
It seems to me only, or you can also share my concerns? What is your opinion?

N.O.T
25th October 2010, 08:50
the year in the subaru was worse....Mikko is just a quitter,thats all. Latvala has a better attitude.

Tomi
25th October 2010, 09:01
Hard to say whats the problem with Mikko, even Ford only prepaire seriously for a few rallies this year, still his preformance has been really lousy, if the team mate beats the nr 1 all the time, there is no excuses really.
Rally GB is one of the most important for Ford, so they are suppost to prepaire good for once again, it will be interesting to see if J-M still will have the command.

turves
25th October 2010, 10:27
I think GB will be a big battle between Petter and JML, maybe Loeb in there too

wildsir
25th October 2010, 10:50

Ogier will win from Latvala, Loeb .... then Hirvonen.

In fairness to Finns, the Ford can't compete with Citroen this year. I just hope this new dawn of the Fiesta isn't a false one, as a season like this in 2011 could be a problem for the people writing the cheques

PS. I laughed at Henning saying on WRR that this car will be a match of the Citroen next year.... It's not even the same car, and he hasnt driven a DS3.

Hartusvuori
25th October 2010, 10:52

Never count out Ogier, though he's on a defend mode. Third place is enough for Ogier to hold on to his second place in the championship.

What comes to Hirvonen, this is a lost season for him. That become evident since New Zealand or Portugal, since then it've been clear he can't match the speed of Citroens or JML on gravel and then later in the season on tarmac either. Perhaps the crash in Finland still pounds at the back of his head. If Fiesta prooves fast and free of delivery pains, Mikko will step back up. The speed is still there.

Ucci
25th October 2010, 11:50
Definitely Mikko did't forget to drive fast....but as a real professional he should still push a bit more, not to be constantly behind his team-mate JML !!
People forget very fast that somebody was last year in the fight for a championship crown...and this year he is strugeling for top-five positions....So, Mikko, I hope you will push to the limit in GB, as this is your favourtie rally-and show to us, that you are still number 1. at M-Sport team!

MrJan
25th October 2010, 13:03

I think that it could be Petter's best chance to get a victory, GB seems to appeal to those with a touch of flamboyance in their driving style.

serial jeff
25th October 2010, 14:19
I think that it could be Petter's best chance to get a victory, GB seems to appeal to those with a touch of flamboyance in their driving style.

Agreed, Petter has won rally GB far more than anyone else this decade (4 victories as opposed to Marcus and Seb at 2 each). For sure Ogier and JML and everyone else will be doing their best as well, but none of them have ever been quicker than Seb except in Finland or snow.

I'm fairly sure it'll be either Seb or Petter to win this one. People seem to be discounting Seb since he's already won the title- but if anything that'll just make him drive even faster- he likes to win, and he's got nothing to lose.

Rallyper
25th October 2010, 15:45
Is not a big secret current season might be the worst in Mikko career. I am not going to say that he is not reason of his problems. A lot of issues is because of his mistakes.
But... I'd like to notice that in my humble opinion ford this year is not reliable and good racing car as e.g. last year. A lot of technical issues say it. The car is not going well in high altitude conditions like Mexico. Gearbox fail on Mikko car several rallies ago, turbo problem in Spane, clutch issue on Latvala car in Spane. Other I cannot remember at the moment...
As for me too much for manufacture team. I recalled me constant technical issues with Subaru.
I have only one explanation for now - Fors is preparing actively to next season with Fiesta and don't care about current season.
It seems to me only, or you can also share my concerns? What is your opinion?

In NORF the front left suspension broke when MH landing and crashing at Urria.

uranium
25th October 2010, 15:49
Btw, let's remember his crash at Finland this year. I am not sure, but it was something suspicious in his car behaviour after landing just before he started roll over. it looks for me something was broken on landing, so that could be reason of crash. Maybe I am wrong, but who knows...

What I mean, his car at landing moment immediatelly twitched to left like steering was broken or smth like that

Rallyper
25th October 2010, 16:11
Btw, let's remember his crash at Finland this year. I am not sure, but it was something suspicious in his car behaviour after landing just before he started roll over. it looks for me something was broken on landing, so that could be reason of crash. Maybe I am wrong, but who knows...

What I mean, his car at landing moment immediatelly twitched to left like steering was broken or smth like that

As I told you, the upper left suspension attach broke at landing.

Tom206wrc
25th October 2010, 17:26
Honestly I have no opinion about what happened to Hirvonen since he's constantly slower than Latvala :confused:

Barreis
25th October 2010, 18:21
When Seb.Loeb destroys you it's called complex 'cos after great Gronholm nobody came that close to SL like Hirvonen did last year.. And after Sweden win SL's luck came back and that's it.. Latvala feels more relaxed 'cos he was told: you're second driver and drive not to crash it.. Results came afterwards..

A.F.F.
25th October 2010, 22:51
I think he is suffering Tommi Mäkinen-syndrome. I think he has lost it after that roll in NORF :mark:

Sure, he wasn't up to pace before that IMO he still had an attitude. Now, he sounds like Toni Gardemeister. Put a banana in his hand you can't see the difference.

Or, he has given up for this season and wait for the next season with hopefully more equal machinery. But I don't believe that.

Something must be done in the mental area now!! His self-confidence needs a superboost if he going to be even a regular podium participant. There's much hunger around him now, Latvala, Ogier, Petter etc..

ProRally
26th October 2010, 07:55
I think he is suffering Tommi Mäkinen-syndrome. I think he has lost it after that roll in NORF :mark:

Sure, he wasn't up to pace before that IMO he still had an attitude. Now, he sounds like Toni Gardemeister. Put a banana in his hand you can't see the difference.

Or, he has given up for this season and wait for the next season with hopefully more equal machinery. But I don't believe that.

Something must be done in the mental area now!! His self-confidence needs a superboost if he going to be even a regular podium participant. There's much hunger around him now, Latvala, Ogier, Petter etc..

:D :D :D :bounce: banana......

turves
26th October 2010, 08:48
Agreed, Petter has won rally GB far more than anyone else this decade (4 victories as opposed to Marcus and Seb at 2 each). For sure Ogier and JML and everyone else will be doing their best as well, but none of them have ever been quicker than Seb except in Finland or snow.

I'm fairly sure it'll be either Seb or Petter to win this one. People seem to be discounting Seb since he's already won the title- but if anything that'll just make him drive even faster- he likes to win, and he's got nothing to lose.

Although it's Petter 4 Loeb 2 in the record books, in realistic terms it's 3-3, as, if I remember rightly, Seb 'gave up' the lead after the accident which killed Michael Park, as he didnt want to win the championship in those circumstances.

Fair point about Loeb in Wales though, and its the last outing for the C4.

Hartusvuori
26th October 2010, 09:41
Fair point about Loeb in Wales though, and its the last outing for the C4.

That would make victory for C4 in the first and the last WRC rally it've competed in. And all the tarmac events in between. Buuuuuuuut - don't count out JML either. Last year he had mechanical troubles in GB and that was altogether an end to a horrid season, but remember 2007 - fastest times on all Saturday and Sunday stages - and 2008, when he lost to Loeb just bearly after running first on Sunday. He likes the rally a lot and needs to win. Dark horses are Ogier and Hirvonen, Ogier in terms of how much progress there have been since the last year (see Finland, a lot) and Hirvonen in terms of motivation, he's entering a rally that could've won him a title a year ago, now he's picking up the pieces.

Mintexmemory
26th October 2010, 10:19
^ +1. Jari Matti isn't just driving for a finish and hence getting results, he has actually matured and is driving the Focus to its limit in an attempt to keep up with the C4s. Anyone who has actually watched WRC live this year can see his committment on every rally. He has worked at improving his tarmac style and on winter gravel has a great chance in Wales. :bounce: Go JML!
Mikko doesn't seem to want to over-drive the Focus and appears de-motivated.

serial jeff
26th October 2010, 13:41
Although it's Petter 4 Loeb 2 in the record books, in realistic terms it's 3-3, as, if I remember rightly, Seb 'gave up' the lead

Very true, I'd forgotten.

Any way you look at it, there are a lot of people here who could win- it's going to be the most competitive rally of the season, I think!

koko0703
26th October 2010, 17:28
I admit I'm biased but as a Subaru fan, I have never seen Mikko as a future champion or even a fast driver. Yes, he was young and inexperienced back then but 2004 season was terrible for Mikko. In 2005, Atkinson came out, and I was really excited although result wasn't too different. Both Mikko in 2004 and Atko in 2005 were prone to make mistakes but Atko showed a flash of speed here and there while Mikko was consistently slow.

I think Ford should look into different options, especially if JML develops to be an all rounder.

Allyc85
26th October 2010, 18:54
I just cant belive how different Mikko has been this year.

Last year he barely made an mistakes and drove bloody well but this year hes been no where and made alot of stupid errors like his crash in Jordan where he clipped the bank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyqdJHLwbkQ

Hartusvuori
26th October 2010, 19:30
I just cant belive how different Mikko has been this year.

Last year he barely made an mistakes and drove bloody well but this year hes been no where and made alot of stupid errors like his crash in Jordan where he clipped the bank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyqdJHLwbkQ

A lot? Ain't that Jordan flip pretty much his only driving mistake this season. Crash in Finland he couldn't have avoid. Other than that, he has just been off the pace.

Sulland
26th October 2010, 19:44
I guess that motivation has something to do with it. It is not motivating to drive on the limit when you know that the guys in the other car can drive at 90% and beat you !

Lets hope the Fiesta is better than the DS3, just to get some change......

Doon
26th October 2010, 20:43
I guess that motivation has something to do with it. It is not motivating to drive on the limit when you know that the guys in the other car can drive at 90% and beat you !

You've hit the nail on the head.

I don't think Ford or Mikko thought there was any mileage in further developing the Focus this year. The car has been off the pace for a while, and to be honest I was surprised Mikko did so well in 2009.

My only concern is that Mikko has not been hammering home the miles in the Fiesta. Nobody can say he is not a brilliant driver, leading in Greece in 2005 driving an '03 Focus and then 3rd in Spain in the same, out of date, car. He's had some dominating results since, and even this year in Sweden he was ultra quick and even Seb admitted that he couldn't keep up! (how many times has he said that recently....oh yeh against Mikko in Finland 2009!!)

I'm sure if Seb had one, off the pace unlucky season the majority of haters and armchair drivers on this forum would say 'he's lost it!' and not think to look at his machinery.

uranium
26th October 2010, 20:46
It would be interesting idea to exchange cars/teams between Seb and Mikko. What result could be then? ;-)
What Seb could show on Focus not C4...

Rallyper
27th October 2010, 01:26

Mikko has family now. Own kids. That might matter to him.

skarderud
27th October 2010, 14:07
I'm sure if Seb had one, off the pace unlucky season the majority of haters and armchair drivers on this forum would say 'he's lost it!' and not think to look at his machinery.

correct!
i remembered last season and petter solberg......
hmmm, quiet for a while there :)
mikko will be back next season, for sure!

A.F.F.
27th October 2010, 16:28

That is probably quite true. This forum has always been like that.

But, with Mikko, you can compare him to Latvala. From the victory of Sweden to this point, his battlemorale has fallen like a cow's tail. Can't explain everything with the machinery. As much as I hope it would be the case.

Tom206wrc
27th October 2010, 16:57

Careful, if the Fiesta is far above the DS3, Solberg P. could forget to get a victory in 2011 :p :

Gard
27th October 2010, 17:19
Careful, if the Fiesta is far above the DS3, Solberg P. could forget to get a victory in 2011 :p :

Hopefully it will be more equal in 2011. Henning says the Fiesta already is much better than the current Focus.

jacko
27th October 2010, 17:42
Hopefully it will be more equal in 2011. Henning says the Fiesta already is much better than the current Focus.

OMG!! Wilson Jr. is full of confidence about the Fiesta, now Henning is totally in love.. i think Ford and M-Sport must be fully warned from this information because those 2 are not the drivers who can judge a car on right weight, Henning is a regular driver and Wilson Jr. is.. we all know that..

About Hirvonen, a good driver, last year was his best but he will not match it anymore, Latvala is better all the time. Don't come with the argument the car is not good; i think it's the same as Citroen otherwise you can't win in Sweden and Finnland or setting best stage times in France (by Latvala).

If Ford seriously wants to beat Citroen they have to get Petter, Sordo, Duval or PG besides the 2 Finns.

mm1
28th October 2010, 07:40
Oh no, Duval again...

Gard
28th October 2010, 10:25
OMG!! Wilson Jr. is full of confidence about the Fiesta, now Henning is totally in love.. i think Ford and M-Sport must be fully warned from this information because those 2 are not the drivers who can judge a car on right weight, Henning is a regular driver and Wilson Jr. is.. we all know that..

About Hirvonen, a good driver, last year was his best but he will not match it anymore, Latvala is better all the time. Don't come with the argument the car is not good; i think it's the same as Citroen otherwise you can't win in Sweden and Finnland or setting best stage times in France (by Latvala).

If Ford seriously wants to beat Citroen they have to get Petter, Sordo, Duval or PG besides the 2 Finns.

You don't know much about Henning, do you?

cali
28th October 2010, 10:28
He's norwegian? ;) :D

skarderud
28th October 2010, 20:08

haha, good point there, gard!

hennings driving in the fiesta is a prove that the focus-package henning driving is just ****!

i understand mikkos frustration, and impressed over latvalas performance!

jacko
29th October 2010, 10:27
haha, good point there, gard!

hennings driving in the fiesta is a prove that the focus-package henning driving is just ****!

i understand mikkos frustration, and impressed over latvalas performance!

oh, you think next year Henning will be up there at the front, i'm already waiting for excuses..
Come on, be realistic. And stop with all that crap about the Focus WRC is not that good compare the C4.

Only Latvala will be a wise move by Ford to keep, the others must be replaced asap!

Viking
29th October 2010, 11:05
oh, you think next year Henning will be up there at the front, i'm already waiting for excuses..
Come on, be realistic. And stop with all that crap about the Focus WRC is not that good compare the C4.

Only Latvala will be a wise move by Ford to keep, the others must be replaced asap!

So you dont want M-sport to run a customer (Stobart) program??

I think Henning testing the car is a smart move, this early testing is not down to driving the car to 105% (well he can do that also :) ).

Hennings head is full of dampers and diffs and he can tell a good chassi from a dog.

He is probably the most experienced driver around when it comes down to have driven different wrc/gr.a cars :up:

Roy
29th October 2010, 11:18

I hope Ford can contracted a tarmac driver. He can replaced Hirvonen or Latvala in some tarmac rounds. Germany is not a Latvala rally.
But who can that be? The only who is 'free' is Sordo. So tarmac rounds for him @Ford and gravel for @Stobart? I hope so.

DonJippo
29th October 2010, 13:10
I think Henning testing the car is a smart move, this early testing is not down to driving the car to 105% .

But is he driving one next season...?

Viking
29th October 2010, 13:20
But is he driving one next season...?

Who knows :) Henning is usually hunting sponsormoney this time of year..

Bobcat
29th October 2010, 15:06
I hope Ford can contracted a tarmac driver. He can replaced Hirvonen or Latvala in some tarmac rounds. Germany is not a Latvala rally.
But who can that be? The only who is 'free' is Sordo. So tarmac rounds for him @Ford and gravel for @Stobart? I hope so.
+1, I agree with all that you say.

darkstar
31st October 2010, 18:28

i totally agree, especially with that duval thing ;) in my opinion, still the master of tarmac, besides loeb of course.

Allyc85
31st October 2010, 18:41
Duval, why would they want to waste their time and money with that crasher!!

Sordo is X10 the level of Duval and Ford should be doing everything to get him alongside MH and JML!!

N.O.T
31st October 2010, 18:59
duval is just a spoiled brat...he got his chances, he blew it with his **** character and now he can compete with village people. Nothing to offer anymore.

Francis44
31st October 2010, 21:01
I do not understand some guys really. Loeb is a really good driver and he gets ditched by some fans, Citroen builds the best cars and they get ditched aswell. Ogier is the best thing to happen to WRC in the last 5 years and fans rarely talk about him, then they support the drivers who have had the chance and missed it.
It's obvious that if you want someone to compete withthe Seb's you will have to have a large wallet, because crashes will eventually happen sooner or later no matter who you are. Dont feel sorry for the teams because they do make large amounts of money, atleast the manufacter.

N.O.T
31st October 2010, 21:57
people don't like perfection they prefer their champions to be underdogs and incompetent like they are in their lifes....

Rallyper
1st November 2010, 12:25
I tell you what people want. Competition.

If the competition isn´t there everyone will be weary of WRC. We´ve had that situation no matter how good and how much perfectionists Loeb and his team has been.

So the comments on this forum is characterized by people wanting and hoping for more action and competitness from the other teams and drivers. That affects of course the way they say things.

Awared of that makes maybe even N.O.T. to have patience with all of us other fellows...

Brother John
1st November 2010, 14:25
I tell you what people want. Competition.

If the competition isn´t there everyone will be weary of WRC. We´ve had that situation no matter how good and how much perfectionists Loeb and his team has been.

So the comments on this forum is characterized by people wanting and hoping for more action and competitness from the other teams and drivers. That affects of course the way they say things.

Awared of that makes maybe even N.O.T. to have patience with all of us other fellows...

Yes :up: , Competition is wath we want, that´s all. ;)

julkki
1st November 2010, 16:49
I do not understand some guys really. Loeb is a really good driver and he gets ditched by some fans, Citroen builds the best cars and they get ditched aswell. Ogier is the best thing to happen to WRC in the last 5 years and fans rarely talk about him, then they support the drivers who have had the chance and missed it.
It's obvious that if you want someone to compete withthe Seb's you will have to have a large wallet, because crashes will eventually happen sooner or later no matter who you are. Dont feel sorry for the teams because they do make large amounts of money, atleast the manufacter.

How is Loeb, Citroen and Ogier part of of this thread?? I thought that this thread was about Hirvonen and little bit of Ford's line-up.

Back to thread.

It's true that Hirvonen doesn't have same kind of winning mentality like Latvala. When Hirvonen has his 101% pushing mentality, he can match anybody on gravel but we haven't seen it all lately. Last year Mikko's 100% pushing was enough to fight for the top spot but this year it hasn't been enough. But the main problem with Mikko now is that his team-mate is beating him regularly. Does Hirvonen has the motivation to fight only against his team-mate after the last year when he was fighting for the WC?

2nd November 2010, 09:47
It's true that Hirvonen doesn't have same kind of winning mentality like Latvala. When Hirvonen has his 101% pushing mentality, he can match anybody on gravel but we haven't seen it all lately. Last year Mikko's 100% pushing was enough to fight for the top spot but this year it hasn't been enough. But the main problem with Mikko now is that his team-mate is beating him regularly. Does Hirvonen has the motivation to fight only against his team-mate after the last year when he was fighting for the WC?

I think you are right, he had already given up a long time ago. Mikko on a psychological down and Jari on a up. Seems also likee Hirvonen has really lost it since the crash in Finland.
I also suspect that there has been and possibly still is a rather strong silent rivalry between Hirvonen and Latvala. Any fellow Finns care to comment on that ? :confused:

DonJippo
2nd November 2010, 09:57
Seems also likee Hirvonen has really lost it since the crash in Finland.

Nonsense he has had worse results on tarmac than expected but in Japan he was right on the pace fighting for the win untill car let him down.

2nd November 2010, 10:14
Nonsense he has had worse results on tarmac than expected but in Japan he was right on the pace fighting for the win untill car let him down.

I agree, he was fast in Japan so the Finland crash hasn't been a problem for him.
I guess it's just that Latvala has gotten better than him then. :s mokin:

Francis44
2nd November 2010, 10:17
On first day of gravel in Spain he wasn't that fast either, so you argument fails.

2nd November 2010, 10:31
On first day of gravel in Spain he wasn't that fast either, so you argument fails.

Right, so in any case I think everyone can agree Hirvonen is inconsistent :)

evooo
2nd November 2010, 11:32
“After losing the title last year by a point I knew I had to win more, rather than settle for consistent points finishes, so this is the ideal start,” said Hirvonen. “It was a big win for us and I want many more this season. It’s the first time I’ve won the opening round of the year. I tried to be more aggressive from the start in all aspects of my performance. It was a brave decision yesterday to change the tyres when I did but it paid off and those kind of decisions make the difference between winning and losing."

http://www.wrcfordlive.com/?p=2550

"On occasions I wasn't brave enough to make the decisions I needed to with my car set-up or to drive more aggressively," he said. "I've learned from that and this year there will be no second thoughts. The difference between myself and the title winner last year was a single point. That translates to tiny decisions on the stages but it's those small things that make the difference between winning and coming second, and when you're brave enough to take the chances, you can feel the difference."

http://www.mikkohirvonen.com/news100214.php

Do you reckon this method of thinking led to his inconsistency?

Brother John
2nd November 2010, 15:13
Right, so in any case I think everyone can agree Hirvonen is inconsistent :)

I think Hirvonen is not the problem, the problem is for a part the Ford Focus and we know all that the Citroën C4 is the best car att the moment!

Tomi
2nd November 2010, 15:20
I think Hirvonen is not the problem, the problem is for a part the Ford Focus and we know all that the Citroën C4 is the best car att the moment!

thats true offcourse, but he is still slower than Latvala.

A.F.F.
4th November 2010, 07:54
And now he is Norwegian. As fas as Eurosport and IRC series are to believe :mark:

Tomi
4th November 2010, 10:32
And now he is Norwegian. As fas as Eurosport and IRC series are to believe :mark:

Lol, he better improve the driving quicly then, any norwegian has not won any serious rally in years.

A.F.F.
4th November 2010, 11:42
Oh but he did win Monte. There's a celebration still in Norway :D

Gard
4th November 2010, 14:31
Very funny. A norwegian will win a WRC before the next finn

skarderud
4th November 2010, 14:42
+1!

several, probably! :)

janvanvurpa
4th November 2010, 16:50
people don't like perfection they prefer their champions to be underdogs and incompetent like they are in their lifes....

My god! You finally reveal the central thing in your character and why you are so bitter and critical of men who have done so much more than you can even concieve of...

Look, just because you are an underdog and incompetent in life doesn't mean anything will change when you endlessly complain and poinlessly bitch and moan..

We get it!
You're miserable and you want everybody to know you're miserable and incompetent, WE GET IT..

But think: you won't ever find happiness or even simple contentedness if you compare your failure in life to people who have managed to drive even one short "village event"..since even as incompetent as "village drivers" are they are on the top of a mountain compared to the accomplishments you've not mastered..
So why don't you go do something that you can manage and not plague the whole forum with your posts which are 99.75% useless and unoriginal??

I think you should study hard this idea, you can then spare us:
ὡς δὲ ἐπέμενον ἐρωτῶντες αὐτόν, ἀνέκυψεν καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς· ὁ ἀναμάρτητος ὑμῶν πρῶτος ἐπ’ αὐτὴν βαλέτω λίθον.

Tomi
4th November 2010, 17:59

Seriously, when did a norwegian win last time?
And how many wins will Mikko still need to pass norway in alltime WRC wins.

A.F.F.
4th November 2010, 20:50

I agree. To the part it was funny :D

snellman
7th November 2010, 19:03

an afghan or a swede will win before a norwegian. most likely an afghan