PDA

View Full Version : Team JV in F1

Koz
19th October 2010, 04:47
Now they say NASCAR: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18102010/23/villeneuve-durango-chasing-f1-opportunity-possibly-via-nascar.html

So much for that.

DexDexter
19th October 2010, 08:10
Now they say NASCAR: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18102010/23/villeneuve-durango-chasing-f1-opportunity-possibly-via-nascar.html

So much for that.

So they don't have the money, ok. If money wasn't a problem, I could see them being able to buy Hispania or Toro Rosso.

Valve Bounce
19th October 2010, 09:18
So they don't have the money, ok. If money wasn't a problem, I could see them being able to buy Hispania or Toro Rosso.

If money wasn't a problem, I could buy Torro Rosso. :rolleyes:

DexDexter
19th October 2010, 09:42
If money wasn't a problem, I could buy Torro Rosso. :rolleyes:

Don't roll eye at me, there was a lot of noice about budgets from the JV camp a while ago...hot air it seems.

Dave B
19th October 2010, 09:55
In fairness, I think most of their budget plans were hinging on them getting an F1 entry. Chicken and egg.

I am evil Homer
19th October 2010, 11:18
Indeed, I think it was "we have sponsors lined up on the proviso we get entry". They didn't. Not sure anyone has enough cash up front to show they have everything in place really.

F1 is pretty much a closed shop now unless you buy into one of the newer teams.

CNR
19th October 2010, 12:34
FUk Jacques Villeneuve is amazing
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing/former-f1-world-champion-jacques-villenueve-looking-at-racing-v8s-in-australia/story-e6frfgb6-1225940891256

FORMER Formula One world champion Jacques Villeneuve could move to to Australia to race V8 Supercars full-time.

Valve Bounce
19th October 2010, 12:48
Don't roll eye at me, there was a lot of noice about budgets from the JV camp a while ago...hot air it seems.

Don't get mad at me or I'll sic StD on you. :eek:

pino
19th October 2010, 13:17

Valve, do you really have to mention StD in almost every of your post? :s

maximilian
19th October 2010, 14:01
You would think that if there really were a bunch of serious investors involved, it wouldn't have been this difficult to buy out ToroRosso. Then again, I guess Mateschitz wants a LOT more money than what he originally paid, and probably priced himself out of the market for purchase unless it's a major manufacturer calling.

It's a real shame, the re-addition of the Villeneuve name to the F1 grid would have been good to see (irrespective of how JV would do in his driving comeback). I guess we can pretty much bury that dream these days... :(

I am evil Homer
19th October 2010, 14:09
Indeed I think Mateschitz is probably being unrealistic in his valuation of a team that has stagnated and in some respects gone backwards to becoming close to Lotus.

Bagwan
19th October 2010, 14:23
Nobody knew anything about the entry attempt until just before the bid , so it isn't exactly surprising that we aren't hearing much from behind the scenes now , is it ?

And , next year hasn't started yet , if I'm not mistaken .

It could be F1 in 2011 , or it could be NASCAR for a year , and then F1 .
It could be Aussie V8s .

But , the money was there .
They thought the FIA wanted a new team , but as the development of the new entries from the year before showed to be less than spectacular , it seems they decided to push the applicants towards buying existing teams .

From JV's first comments , alluding to the fact that they wish to advance thier own design and employment philosophy unencumbered by existing contracts , it can be easily recognized that , firstly , the project is already well advanced in both areas , and that the first moves to buy existing entities have been met with less than ideal contract situations involved .

With 3 years worth of budget in hand , a deal is almost certaing to be in the works .
In fact , the talk of going elsewhere and returning later could easily be tactics designed to amplify the message that the deal is on the table for a very limmitted time .

HRT may not make it , and selling up may be the only way to continue .

It aint over until the lights go out in the opening race next year .

maximilian
19th October 2010, 14:33
I really hope you're right, Bagwan. I would love to see it. I have always been a fan of Canadian racing drivers, and the Villeneuves in particular.

Bagwan
19th October 2010, 14:46
According to the man , himself , the FIA "did a backflip" , and denied the entries .

Of course , you will never hear them admit that , simply because they will have cost the applicants a ton of cash , and presumably be responsible for it , having offered something for sale that wasn't .

And , since the original plan was to buy an existing entry , one can easily assume that the money is still there .

They took him for a mug , but , as we've seen in his options , he clearly isn't .
He can go to NASCAR with the cash , and that cash will go a lot farther there . It's no empty threat . They want him there .

Sure , it's obvious that they've spent a wad to get in already , but that can wait until 2012 , if necessary , apparently .

So , he's got backers that will go with him wherever he goes .
In a world with such financial difficulties , that is mightily impressive .

And , to keep it all so silent means the repect is there from both sides .

I still have a lot of faith this is still in the works .

DexDexter
20th October 2010, 10:05

Sorry, please don't do that. I can't take it ;)

Hondo
20th October 2010, 19:00
I seriously doubt Villeneuve will be back in F1 as a driver or an owner. Yes, he won the WDC in THE WILLIAMS like the previous drivers in THE WILLIAMS had done before him. Then he went to the dismal BAR F1 team with no real success. The high point being his pecking at Button who proceeded to best him during the season. He asked for and received an early release from his contract. He sat out most of the rest of the next season before contracting to drive for Renault the final few races and contracting with Sauber for the following 2 seasons. He brought Renault no relief on their long shot gamble and brought Sauber no piece of mind either. After BMW took over Sauber, Villeneuve got an attitude when BMW decided to try Kubica in Villeneuve's car. Villeneuve again asked for and received a release from his contract. Once it became clear that nobody in F1 wanted him he started looking around at other venues. He ended up with Peugeot and did a good job for them his first year but Quesnel, the new manager, noting that Villeneuve and Zonta were not sufficiently present during test sessions and physical preparation camps, released them the following year. Since then, Villeneuve has bounced between a yearn to return to F1 and any kind of NASCAR ride. F1 teams have politely declined his offered services and he has been unable to secure a full time NASCAR ride or the funding needed to field his own NASCAR team.

So, my point of view if I were the FIA would be:

Doubts about Villeneuve's actual commitment to F1 as opposed to NASCAR, et al.

His ability to actually get the money needed to fund an F1 team and his ability to manage a team. If he can't raise the money to compete in NASCAR, he can forget about F1.

F1 has not suffered any loss with Villeneuve being absent from the show, even Canada still wants it's race.

Villeneuve would be another Stoddard, complaining and whining about every thing under the sun although he knew what was involved when he signed up.

I don't think they want him back.

Rollo
20th October 2010, 20:18
FUk Jacques Villeneuve is amazing
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing/former-f1-world-champion-jacques-villenueve-looking-at-racing-v8s-in-australia/story-e6frfgb6-1225940891256

How? He's "already" got a drive at Super Cheap Racing:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72664&type=news&id=72664
Jacques Villeneuve is being targeted for a V8 Supercar drive with Super Cheap Racing.
- January 8th 2009

No, wait, that didn't happen... me thinks that this has the same sort of credibility behind it.

Duchess
21st October 2010, 02:04
All I can say is LOL JV. He'll never be as good as his father and he knows it. Now if only he'd leave my headlines alone, he brings nothing to the sport and I hate his wingeing.

Easy Drifter
21st October 2010, 02:16
Jacques reminds me of another JV. Jos 'The Boss' Verstappen.
Going to do this, going to do that, got this deal going and then zip.
Actually when he got a semi decent ride in the Nationwide series he ran up front on the road courses.

Koz
21st October 2010, 04:40
According to the man , himself , the FIA "did a backflip" , and denied the entries .

Of course , you will never hear them admit that , simply because they will have cost the applicants a ton of cash , and presumably be responsible for it , having offered something for sale that wasn't .

And , since the original plan was to buy an existing entry , one can easily assume that the money is still there .

They took him for a mug , but , as we've seen in his options , he clearly isn't .
He can go to NASCAR with the cash , and that cash will go a lot farther there . It's no empty threat . They want him there .

Sure , it's obvious that they've spent a wad to get in already , but that can wait until 2012 , if necessary , apparently .

So , he's got backers that will go with him wherever he goes .
In a world with such financial difficulties , that is mightily impressive .

Yeah because JV has so much credibility behind him... He has had ONE full season of F1 since 2003.

If he weren't racing himself, maybe... But the man expects to drive.
This was one of StefanGPs "would-be" drivers, right?

Oh and obviously the fact that Durango can't afford to run a car in a support series suggests that they had the money to start an F1 team. It's all a big joke really.
What you are saying is based on logic and not at all to do with the country you are from, right? :)

Bagwan
21st October 2010, 13:08
Yeah because JV has so much credibility behind him... He has had ONE full season of F1 since 2003.

If he weren't racing himself, maybe... But the man expects to drive.
This was one of StefanGPs "would-be" drivers, right?

Oh and obviously the fact that Durango can't afford to run a car in a support series suggests that they had the money to start an F1 team. It's all a big joke really.
What you are saying is based on logic and not at all to do with the country you are from, right? :)

I see you have noticed that Jacques and I are from the same country . Good for you .
Pardon me if I take his word as the truth .

He said he has three years of sponsor money . He says he will take it to NASCAR if F1 doesn't work out .
Durango was another entity working towards an entry . Do you think they had no backers either ?
Wouldn't it have been massively stupid to see either or both of these entries vying for the grid slot with no backers ?
You do know that one of the criteria for entry was to have the cash to run , don't you ?
And , you do know they joined forces , don't you ?

This is the "backflip" to which JV refers .

I will make no apology for backing my countryman .

Firstgear
21st October 2010, 15:37

Your steadfast support of JV is admirable... but this silence reminds me more of the USF1 fiasco.

Hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see JV back....but only as an owner, not trading paint with MS towards the back of the grid.

Bagwan
21st October 2010, 16:06
Your steadfast support of JV is admirable... but this silence reminds me more of the USF1 fiasco.

Hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see JV back....but only as an owner, not trading paint with MS towards the back of the grid.

No toasters here , Firstgear .

It seems obvious that the FIA backflip was more about the state of HRT and others , than it was about the Villeneuve Durango team .

It would make little sense to allow a new team in whilst losing another .

Sadly , it was , although not very nice , a very convenient way to circumvent the likely embarassment of adding a thirteenth team and getting only twelve to the grid next year .
No criteria was ever announced for the entry to be successful , thus , they had the option all along .

The FIA have seen the money , and Bernie , presumably , has seen it , too .

Wait for the end of the season .
Relax and watch the races .

It'll happen .

And , he'll leave MS in his dust .

Shifter
21st October 2010, 17:20
Well, at least this way JV racing can actually, you know, make money in 2011...

Koz
21st October 2010, 20:07
Durango was another entity working towards an entry . Do you think they had no backers either ?
No, I do not. If they had financial credibility they wouldn't be dropping out of GP2 for financial reasons, would they?
Because logic dictates, that if you can't run a team that costs 2-3 million, you won't be able to afford an F1 team costing easily 10 times that sum.

Wouldn't it have been massively stupid to see either or both of these entries vying for the grid slot with no backers ?
You do know that one of the criteria for entry was to have the cash to run , don't you ?
Yeah, USF1 has backers too, didn't they? What happened there?

I will make no apology for backing my countryman .
:)

Hondo
21st October 2010, 22:21
It sounds like Villenueve's idea of what constitutes "guaranteed" budget money for 3 years doesn't look so guaranteed to the FIA. Short of proving the cash exists in some form of escrow or trust account, Villeneuve's "guaranteed" money story is probably one the FIA has heard and been bit by before. Villeneuve wants to drive, anything, except, bless him, an IRL car. Three years of F1 money translates to about ten years of an extremely well funded NASCAR team. If he really had the money, he'd be in NASCAR now, not waiting another year to see if the FIA will let him in.

Duchess
22nd October 2010, 03:12
It'll happen .

And , he'll leave MS in his dust .

:laugh: :rotflmao:

Cris c'est drôle ca!

schmenke
22nd October 2010, 15:25
:laugh: :rotflmao:

Cris c'est drôle ca!

I'est toujours l'optimiste, Bagwan :D ;)

Dave B
22nd October 2010, 16:09
Several years ago I made a bet with Bagwan that if Jacques ever got an F1 drive again I'd eat my hat. At this rate I won't have to, it'll have decomposed all on its own. :p

Hondo
29th October 2010, 17:25
Nope, says he's done with it.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/news/Villeneuve+gives+dream/3743379/story.html

But then again, his outspokenness has been incorrect before.

Roamy
29th October 2010, 23:11
Good for JV, He will do much better in a series that is not run by fags. Plus we will get the pleasure of watching him race for years to come in Nascar.

I am sure this is just the beginning of the exodus across the pond.

CNR
29th October 2010, 23:31
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/motor/ford-to-try-and-sign-jacques-villeneuve-to-race-full-time/story-e6frey5r-1225942720918

Koz
30th October 2010, 00:30
Nope, says he's done with it.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/travel/news/Villeneuve+gives+dream/3743379/story.html

But then again, his outspokenness has been incorrect before.

He's pretty much admitting that he had no substantial budget, he thought he would be able to get one if he was ever accepted into F1. Just like USF1.
He'll make some noise about coming back in a year or three.

It's interesting how the man moved from starting an F1 team, then buying out an existing team to keep hopes alive, to moving to NASCAR for a year to get back into F1 to giving up and planning on V8s.

But you never know... maybe he will decide to go back to his music career... Or maybe he'll even start a death metal band...

Hondo
30th October 2010, 06:04
The deal Ford is offering him to drive V-8 Supercars down under is probably the best offer he'll get. Anybody else will require that he brings more than just himself to the deal. Don't forget that Villeneuve looks good on NASCAR road courses because most of those boys aren't used to turning right and left. The Supercar guys are.

Roamy
30th October 2010, 17:34
The deal Ford is offering him to drive V-8 Supercars down under is probably the best offer he'll get. Anybody else will require that he brings more than just himself to the deal. Don't forget that Villeneuve looks good on NASCAR road courses because most of those boys aren't used to turning right and left. The Supercar guys are.

The boys can't turn right is now over-hyped bullish!t. It is more like the right and lefters can't turn just left.

DexDexter
31st October 2010, 10:08
Because of our weak bend over leadership that means yours and mine we will soon have another Nuclear Nut. This time Chavez.

I am glad I probably won't be around but this freaking planet is going to "glow" brighter than the Sun, But look at the good side - perhaps you can create a temperate climate on Mars and life will continue somehow.

And God said " I think I will blow this freaking place up and start over"

And EKI said great do the Jews first!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11553239

Good for JV, He will do much better in a series that is not run by fags. Plus we will get the pleasure of watching him race for years to come in Nascar.

I am sure this is just the beginning of the exodus across the pond.

I don't think so since according to you the world is about to come to an end. :rolleyes: