PDA

View Full Version : South African F1 GP Possibility

555-04Q2
18th October 2010, 11:08
There was a meeting between South African Government Officials, Municipal Authorities and Motorsport SA representatives last week about the possibility of F1 returning to South Africa soon.

The old airport site in Durban that was shutdown just before the Soccer World Cup is the site where a new race track is to be built at a value of just over US$ 2 billion.

Hope something comes of this. Government says is will support the proposal for an F1 race, as long as private sponsorship comes on board. A private consortium based in Johannesburg is aparantly willing to back the proposal.

Who else would like to see F1 back in Africa?

ArrowsFA1
18th October 2010, 13:24
It would be strange to see a South African GP anywhere but Kyalami :dozey:

I'm still wondering where/how these new GPs are going to fit into the calendar. There seems to be a general consensus that 20 races is the maximum, so that means waving goodbye to existing events, but which ones?

maximilian
18th October 2010, 13:46
2 BILLION dollars? That seems out of hand, especially in Africa. Africa is the last continent remaining that doesn't have a GP, so they really ought to be on the schedule. They have a history of F1 and I would welcome the South African GP back.

Easy Drifter
18th October 2010, 14:23
I beg to differ.
Antartica does not have a GP. :rotflmao:

maximilian
18th October 2010, 14:51
I beg to differ.
Antartica does not have a GP. :rotflmao:
True... how about an IceGP with spiked tires? :cool:

Sonic
18th October 2010, 15:00
True... how about an IceGP with spiked tires? :cool:

We'll need to drag Mika out of retirement then - he's got experience ;)

Back on topic; I would be very pleased to see a true world championship and that means returning to Africa is a must.

As for the calendar logistics I'll leave that to someone far brainier than me...

inimitablestoo
18th October 2010, 17:20
It would be strange to see a South African GP anywhere but Kyalami :dozey:
Although it has been done of course, with those Grands Prix in East London - which holds the record for the earliest and latest races in a season, incidentally (1 January 1965 and 29 December 1962, according to my sources).

I'd love to see a race back in South Africa, and not just because time zone convenience means it would be a "regular" time here in Blighty :D . That street circuit A1GP went to in Durban looked like a good track, sort of an African Surfers Paradise, but a former airfield at least sounds better than a Tilkedrome.

On the other hand, there's the Marrakech street circuit in Morocco as used by the World Touring Cars: two narrow straights linked by some perfunctory corners. No thanks.

UltimateDanGTR
18th October 2010, 20:16
I would very much like to see F1 return to Africa. Naturally, the first choice is South Africa, and rightly so.

Whether this happens or not is another story and I think we would have to wait at least 5 years if this did occur, though when you mentioned the shut down airfield I had images of CART races at Cleveland......(positive thing). Now that would be fun but they will probably find a way to tame such a dream down....

but, good luck to the project.

Duchess
19th October 2010, 00:14
I would love to see F1 back in Africa, no doubt! But they're proposing a new track worth $2bil?! Are they serious?! Is that even feasible over the next 5yrs for them? Well, if they can pull it off then more power to them. It's got my support!

Mr. Mister
19th October 2010, 02:16
though when you mentioned the shut down airfield I had images of CART races at Cleveland.

I thought the same. Airport circuits, though flat, are fantastic fun due to their width, and are great for at-the-track spectators as they can see everything. It would be nice to add something a bit different to a calendar that's getting a bit stale.

nigelred5
19th October 2010, 03:11
I thought the same. Airport circuits, though flat, are fantastic fun due to their width, and are great for at-the-track spectators as they can see everything. It would be nice to add something a bit different to a calendar that's getting a bit stale.

Which means F1 will never do it.

555-04Q2
19th October 2010, 13:56
Apologies people. The track is to be worth ZAR 2 Billion (US$ 285 Million)!

Durban is the only major city in South Africa that doesn't have a fully fledged race track. We are the sporting capitol of Africa for all other sports. Motorsport is another sport that we as a city are trying to add to our portfolio. Durban is also bidding for the 2020 Olympic Games.

I would love to see F1 return to South Africa, especially Durban. And contrary to popular belief our country has lots of money (when the government aren't stealing it), so it is possible that we can build a track and sustain it.

maximilian
19th October 2010, 14:07
Phew! 2 billion Rand sounds a lot better. For a moment I thought this was going to be an indoor facility or something, with a USD2 billion price tag!! :) Still a LOT of money anyways. Again I question the logic of having to start with a blank piece of paper instead of building on existing facilities. Another Tilkedrome is beckoning...

An airport track would be really cool, but you can bet that Bernie would never go for it (unless it's downtown NYC or something like that!!) because it's not "glamorous" enough!!

jens
22nd October 2010, 19:08

I would. :) To make F1 look like a true World Championship.

Garry Walker
23rd October 2010, 00:21
No, not really. I dont like races being held in countries where the government is lead by racists.

maximilian
23rd October 2010, 15:21
No, not really. I dont like races being held in countries where the government is lead by racists.
Hmm, if we go by human rights violations, I am afraid we'd have to strike quite a few countries off the Grands Prix list... :p And South Africa wouldn't even be at the top of the list.

555-04Q2
24th October 2010, 11:19

WTF :?: :crazy:

Drew
24th October 2010, 21:40
I'd love to see F1 back in Africa! What happened to Kyalami?

I can't help but think it might not get there though. Bernie's more interested in India and Russia, bigger potential markets = more $$$. Can SA give him as much dough?!

555-04Q2
24th October 2010, 22:40
Don't know about money compared to Russia etc Drew, but we aint poor. Kyalami is no longer the track it used to be. We would need a new track to meet the standards Bernie expects these days, hence the thoughts behind a new track.

Drew
24th October 2010, 23:09
Don't know about money compared to Russia etc Drew, but we aint poor. Kyalami is no longer the track it used to be. We would need a new track to meet the standards Bernie expects these days, hence the thoughts behind a new track.

Sure, South Africa is not a poor country but it's not widely considered to be one of the biggest or emerging markets in the world. BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) is the next big thing and by 2014 F1 will be in all 4 of those countries. The USA is to host a race again in 2012. You have to wonder whether there will be any space left or enough money to convince Bernie to put another race on the calendar.

52Paddy
24th October 2010, 23:53
I'm all for having a race in Africa. South Africa is as good a proposal as any others I can think of, though a race in Ethopia or Libya would bring a varied taste to the line-up and something I'd love to see.

555-04Q2
25th October 2010, 12:07
A race in Egypt around the pyramids would be a site to see!

555-04Q2
25th October 2010, 12:09
Sure, South Africa is not a poor country but it's not widely considered to be one of the biggest or emerging markets in the world. BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) is the next big thing and by 2014 F1 will be in all 4 of those countries. The USA is to host a race again in 2012. You have to wonder whether there will be any space left or enough money to convince Bernie to put another race on the calendar.

I agree we can't compete with the BRIC countries, but there should be a race in Africa to make it a totally global sport. There is a large emerging middle class in countries such as Nigeria, South Africa etc. There is a market here too...just not as big as China's though!!!