PDA

View Full Version : Jani Paasonen

noel157
16th October 2010, 21:42
Can somebody give a brief summary on Jani Paasonen?

Was he an example of talent that was lost, never made it out of the Finnish national championship or simply didn't have what it took to get a private/works WRC seat? Didn't go further with his Grp N Evo performances?
He's mentioned nearly every week on this site and I know little about him.

Mirek
16th October 2010, 21:53
I don't know much about his earlier career. I remember him doing PWRC in 2003 or 2004. He had also several starts with factory Fabia WRC (6th place in NORF, some crashes etc.), but never was given more chance than few single shots together with Jane Tuohino or Alex Bengue, so none of them had real chance to show something in longer term in Skoda. He is now living here in Czech republic I think. He got a bit fat. In last couple of years he's been driving regularly in Jänner Rally, sometimes in rallycross events or some rallyshows here.

Tomi
16th October 2010, 22:13
I think he did drive the first fastest stagetimes with the Mitsu WRC too, a very talented driver, he was a bit unlucky with choise of manager and at that time we did have a very good generation of drivers also, so there was not space for everyone, I belive he nowdays has a driving school with Jouni Ampuja.

gravelman
16th October 2010, 22:16
He made a very strong debut on 2002 Rally New Zealand, running as high as third, before crashing out in a Mitsubishi Lancer Step 2. I also remember him having a very high speed accident on Rally Deutschland 03 that raised great concerns about safety in the sport.

He doesnt drive a mk 2 or hail from Monaghan, so you wont hear chat of him on certain other forums!!!!

N.O.T
16th October 2010, 22:45
very talented and fast but not professional enough in his personal life. And also did the mistake to contest only gravel events....

morganmilan
16th October 2010, 22:57
very talented and fast but not professional enough in his personal life. And also did the mistake to contest only gravel events....
What do you mean with that? :confused:

N.O.T
16th October 2010, 23:58
his physical condition was very bad...i doubt he could even keep his pace/speed for whole 3 days...

A classic example where you base everything on your talent and don't work on every area of yourself that would give you an advantage

Josti
17th October 2010, 00:10
NOT is completely right on this.

It's a shame really, he did some very good things in mediocre (or bad) cars. 2005 must have been delusional for him.

A.F.F.
17th October 2010, 00:23
Made Mitsu evo 7's first stage top time at New Zealand but crashed later on. Brought Fabia WRC sixth to finishline NORF in rocksolid competition. Was fast as hell but unfortunately not too consistent with his performances.

I liked the guy very much. Like Tomi said, he made some bad choices and the time wasn't best to made those choises. With better managment he might have breaked through.

He took his time at rallying at WRC level very seriously and for the record, he dropped weight when he was at Mitsu and Skoda so he was fysicly fit at that time.

Jani Paasonen was maximum attack-kinda guy. All or nothing. Too often nothing :mark: Great to watch thoguht :up:

rjbetty
17th October 2010, 00:25
A real shame about Jani. He almost won PWRC in 2004 in what was surely it's strongest season (Sola, Galli, Arai, A.Mcrae, McShea, Higgins, Stohl, Pons etc.)

He did so well at Mitsu in 2002 often beating Alister Mcrae, and in the Skoda. His crashing tried my patience though. I guess the team bosses thought the same.

Barreis
17th October 2010, 03:28
I remember: Sorry Škoda.. Also made ford focus wrc looked like pick up.. :D

noel157
17th October 2010, 15:52
Thanks for all that guys, always good to learn.

Yep Tommy, couldn't agree with you more!

rjbetty
17th October 2010, 18:09
What was the situation with Jani's choice of manager? I never heard about that before...