PDA

View Full Version : Sochi, Russia, 2014?

UltimateDanGTR
14th October 2010, 16:49
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87444
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/10/14/russia-to-join-f1-calendar-in-2014/

interesting development. at least its not another race in asia. sort of.

my view on this is if it is true, then at least they've got 4 years. good on them. Im not sure how popular F1 in russia will be by the time if this happens, my hope is big because of Petrov and maybe in the future Aleshin ofcourse.

and we have an apparent track layout image already;

http://www.f1news.ru/news/f1-61258.html

a very monaco-esque looking part of the track there, with a mixture of slow and boring corners as only Tilke would do...mind you, there are some half interesting ones thrown in there as well.

Lets see how this develops.

Sonic
14th October 2010, 19:12
I'll beLieve it when I see it. For almost as long as I've followed F1 there have been suggestions the a Russian GP is but a season or two away, and it always amounts to nothing. We've even had several proposed track designs and locations before.

However I would be very pleased to welcome Russia to F1 if this turns out to be true. It's a huge market and we need to be there.

ioan
14th October 2010, 19:52
However I would be very pleased to welcome Russia to F1 if this turns out to be true. It's a huge market and we need to be there.

We?! Are you Bernie or do you happen to own CVC shares?! ;)

Sonic
14th October 2010, 19:57
We?! Are you Bernie or do you happen to own CVC shares?! ;)

Very droll. I think you understand the sentiment :p

Norwegian Blue
14th October 2010, 20:29
Street circuit or purpose built track? looks street by that drawing!

maximilian
14th October 2010, 23:18
http://www.f1news.ru/userfiles/61258.jpg

If that is indeed the correct layout, then it doesn't look tooooo bad? Seems to me it's more of a sweeping track, without too much MickeyMouse, less tilkish than usual?

ykiki
15th October 2010, 01:57
New races coming up in the US, India & Russia. Makes me wonder which circuits will end up being dropped? There's a lack of fans in the seats in a place like Turkey, but I actually like the circuit.

N. Jones
15th October 2010, 02:52
If they keep bringing on new tracks I think they will have to start rotating some in and out.

If they do, bring back Imola!

Duchess
16th October 2010, 05:13
I hope this heralds the boot for Bahrain and Turkey!! I don't care what the driver's say about T8, I bloody dislike watching the race in Turkey. And Bahrain has failed to excite me, let alone prevent me from napping after 2 laps.

I also wouldn't object to Valencia being struck off the calendar. Don't know what I'd replace these circuits with...maybe another South American gp?

Wild Dog
16th October 2010, 10:46
For me the track looks a bit boring, but who knows?

I agree that Bahrain should be dropped, but Turkey is okay.

Sonic
16th October 2010, 10:57
I hope this heralds the boot for Bahrain and Turkey!! I don't care what the driver's say about T8, I bloody dislike watching the race in Turkey. And Bahrain has failed to excite me, let alone prevent me from napping after 2 laps.

I also wouldn't object to Valencia being struck off the calendar. Don't know what I'd replace these circuits with...maybe another South American gp?

Bahrain? No chance. Bernie lines his pockets with way too much green from that deal. Turkey is vulnerable, but I can't say I share your dislike for the track, so many elevation changes leading to blind apex's and tricky camber shifts - sector one being my personal fave.

As you say one of the Spanish tracks can go - there's just no need for two races in one country with such a bloated calendar.

I'm still hoping (perhaps in vain) for some glimmer of seeing the French Gp return.

Mixa
16th October 2010, 11:26
I´m still skeptical for this whole Russian GP stuff. Like each 2nd year we have heard about Russian GP. I guess it was like 1997 when we heard about it the first time and still nothing haven´t never happened until now. Also we have to remember that 2014 is the olympic year for Sochi,right?? Also that kind of stuff needs quite a lot of money and building...

I still somehow hope that it would happen even when I somehow see a lot of delays in my mind and even the track layout to change a couple of times. Also this "No matter where we race,only if I get money" stuff has somehow got out of hands in F1.

steveaki13
16th October 2010, 11:44
If I were given the organising of the calender I would drop Bahrain, Turkey and valencia. Replacing them with French, USA, another South American race and maybe an African GP to give a world championship feel.

As for Russia, we will have to wait and see I think. I don't think its anywhere near guaranteed yet.

Dr. Krogshöj
16th October 2010, 11:46
Here are the contract expiration dates for current tracks.

Bahrain 2016
Melbourne 2015
Sepang 2015
Istanbul 2011
Barcelona 2016
Monaco 2020
Montreal 2014
Valencia 2014
Silverstone 2026
Nurburgring 2011
Hockenheim 2018
Hungaroring 2016
Spa 2012
Monza 2016
Singapore 2012
Suzuka 2011
Abu Dhabi 2015
Interlagos 2014

Shanghai's original contract ran through 2010. I haven't heard about a new one but China is on the 2011 calendar. It should be safe, I think Mercedes and a lot of sponsors would rebel if it was dropped.

jens
16th October 2010, 17:44
I´m still skeptical for this whole Russian GP stuff. Like each 2nd year we have heard about Russian GP. I guess it was like 1997 when we heard about it the first time and still nothing haven´t never happened until now.

Not just 1997 or something like that, but already in late 70's/early 80's there were serious discussions about a USSR Grand Prix. ;) Finally it somehow didn't materialize and F1 had to be content "merely" with a Hungarian GP as a way of crossing the Iron Curtain.

But generally F1's development as a global sport is quite notable with significant powers as India, USA and Russia joining F1 calendar in the coming years.

Duchess
16th October 2010, 22:48
If I were given the organising of the calender I would drop Bahrain, Turkey and valencia. Replacing them with French, USA, another South American race and maybe an African GP to give a world championship feel.

I would love to see a GP back in Africa as well, but the downside is that there are so few places that can host it, not to mention its relative isolation. South Africa of course is an option riding high from the thrill of the World Cup (vuvuzelas at a GP anyone?? :laugh :) , but the only other countries I could imagine having the resources to host a GP would be Egypt or maaaaaaybe Morocco.

nigelred5
17th October 2010, 14:56
http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=opulence%20i%20has%20it#i=2

amoo17
17th October 2010, 17:34
be intresting to see what they come up with