PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP - Phillip Island 2010

NinjaMaster
14th October 2010, 13:45
I'm heading down to the Island again this year and am expecting a close, hard fought tussle now that the main protagonists have nothing to lose in chasing wins. The weather forecast isn't great so an upset is a distinct possibility. Hopefully Nakano can get another good start in the wet and...oh wait, wrong year. :erm: In fact, the forecast tomorrow is for 25-50mm of rain so first practice might be on jet-skis!
Anyways, hopefully all who are heading down and all the racers can have an enjoyable, safe time. And exciting!!! :up:

Allyc85
14th October 2010, 21:46
Even with the forecast rain im still bloomin jealous! Have a great time :D

tha_jackal
15th October 2010, 02:59
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/ozzyspur/PIwetness.jpg
EEK!

tha_jackal
15th October 2010, 04:30
125: 2:40pm
MotoGP: 3:50
Moto2: 5:00

tha_jackal
15th October 2010, 05:40
http://www.atdhe.fm/index.php?option=com_lsh&view=lsh&event_id=27426&tid=60082&channel=0&tmpl=component&layout=popup&Itemid=207

for those that wanna watch FP
young bring danny kent was very impressive in 125 FP1.
xo

Allyc85
15th October 2010, 14:29
Blimey thats some bad weather, very lucky to get any running at all!

Great job by Danny kent though on very much unfancied machinery hes doing a great job on that bike!

CaptainRaiden
15th October 2010, 17:24
Looking forward to see what Lorenzo will do now that he doesn't have the pressure. I expect Stoner to win this one, with hopefully some tough competition from Rossi.

I think Lorenzo is by far the least interesting champion in recent years. I mean I honestly don't care if he became a champion, and from the looks of things, nor do many people. He tries to copy Rossi's race winning celebrations, but falls far short of creativity, and ends up looking quite ridiculous and dumb. I mean what the hell was that eating popcorn and jumping in the pool antics?! There's just something about the guy that rubs people off the wrong way.

MrMetro
16th October 2010, 13:30
Looking forward to see what Lorenzo will do now that he doesn't have the pressure. I expect Stoner to win this one, with hopefully some tough competition from Rossi.

I think Lorenzo is by far the least interesting champion in recent years. I mean I honestly don't care if he became a champion, and from the looks of things, nor do many people. He tries to copy Rossi's race winning celebrations, but falls far short of creativity, and ends up looking quite ridiculous and dumb. I mean what the hell was that eating popcorn and jumping in the pool antics?! There's just something about the guy that rubs people off the wrong way.

yeah, I could see Stoner winning, he'll want to put a disappointing season behind him with a victory at his home race. Rossi looked pretty annoyed to say the least in qualifying, getting annoyed at one of the Pramac guys(Espargaro I think) his smile to the camera in the pits look forced upon, rather than his usual positive nature.

when Rossi does his post race celebrations, he does them to make the crowd laugh, when Lorenzo does his celebrations, imo, they come accross as showing off.

Allyc85
16th October 2010, 15:18
Dam you Dangerous de Angelis, was right peed off when he nicked pole from Redding!

NinjaMaster
25th October 2010, 11:13
Ahh, t'was a good weekend indeed! A bit damp on Friday for the ride down and the couple of hours at the track before we pulled the pin and headed back to the house for a scotch and coke (then heard the bikes fire up :rolleyes: ). Saturday and Sunday were dry though a bit chilly and windy.
Whilst the racing wasn't the most exciting I've ever seen, there was plenty to keep me interested. Obviously, the most exciting racing of the weekend was the battle for 7th in Moto2. It was just amazing. Poor Thomas Luthi led the group for most of the race only to be shuffled back to 11th by races finish. It was a shame for Wayne Maxwell to see his big international opportunity end so quickly but his response to it has done far more damage to his chances at an international career.
Also, I've decided that I really don't like Scott Redding and Marc Marquez. It's not fair they should be so talented! :p
Finally, as the MotoGP race will mainly be remembered for Rossi and Hayden's epic end-of-race battle, it was a privilege to behold Casey Stoner's prowess in slithering that Ducati of his around the Phillip Island circuit. He may not have been embroiled in an exciting battle, but the experience of seeing his commitment to wring the neck of the Bologne Bullet was just exhilerating.

I actually find Jorge intriguing. Of all the tactics he had available to compete with his teammate, he decided to take Vale on at exactly his own game. From the post-race celebrations (which have become overdone)and themed helmet designs for specific races to the different coloured legs on his leathers, he's standing toe-to-toe with Rossi unlike anyone else, and got a reaction like no-one else. He's always had high confidence, bordering on an air of arrogance and, whilst he has a legion of adorers, this has always held him back from being fully embraced by MotoGP fans. And as long as he wins MotoGP titles, I don't think he'll care.

patnicholls
25th October 2010, 12:57

Can't possibly agree with this I'm afraid.

I remember Jorge's first couple of 125 GPs on the Derbi as a mere 15-year old and in the early days he certainly had a reputation as a bit of a brat. However, considering his age at the time that's hardly surprising. For me, what we've actually seen as time has passed is the immaculate maturing of not just a champion but a student of his sport. He's learnt not just the ropes of how to race well but also the PR and off-track stuff - when to move from doing his interviews in Spanish to (very well-spoken) English, getting into Twitter in both languages (how's that for willingness to engage with fans?) and all the rest. Then there's the 'mind games' with Rossi which Sete and Max lost, but Jorge - as a historian of what had happened before - decided to pay Valentino full respect and has [until Motegi!] never criticised him as well as playing up the celebrations to create a staged persona like Rossi has. It's clear that that approach has worked well.

One thing I have been told a few times is that Jorge is actually a fairly shy and thoughtful specimen and Twitter and the celebrations are his way of getting himself into his persona for taking the others on, which seems logical enough. There's also the terrible events of Misano, where Jorge was the only one of the riders who stayed behind to hear the full explanations of what had gone on - clearly someone who knows that his presence there was very important as regards looking after himself and his fellow riders.

-and, I liked his 'Fat Lorenzo' clone celebration... :)