PDA

View Full Version : Is Tom Onslow-Cole unlucky....

Spyder
10th October 2010, 17:24
Or was it team orders?

VkmSpouge
10th October 2010, 17:52
Was it team orders that did what?

Allyc85
10th October 2010, 20:06
You cant be saying that the team made him retire from 3 races so Chilton could be indy champion?!

UltimateDanGTR
10th October 2010, 21:03
If it were team orders, you could also argue Honda ordered Shedden to have mechanical issues for Neal's advantage.

And IMO, neither 'conspiracy theories' are true.

Spyder
10th October 2010, 21:12
You cant be saying that the team made him retire from 3 races so Chilton could be indy champion?!

Ahem.... look at all the races in 2010. Look carefully, at all of them. Also, and seperately, consider the reliability of the Fords throughout the season. Each one.

TBH I have nothing against Tom Chilton winning a championship. His family have put about 38.5 million pounds into motor sport for Tom and Max and that has helped BTCC through a tough period when manufacturers have been reluctant to invest and so they deserve a title of some sorts. I hope Tom Chilton enjoys his success and stays in BTCC for many years to come.

TOC got a free drive this season, for good reason, he brought some class to the team and has shown good form and been gracious in his... errr.... fails to finish, gear shift problems etc etc. etc.

You decide who is the best independent driver in BTCC 2010.

Spyder
10th October 2010, 21:13
If it were team orders, you could also argue Honda ordered Shedden to have mechanical issues for Neal's advantage.

And IMO, neither 'conspiracy theories' are true.

Eh?

How could that help Neal?

Allyc85
10th October 2010, 21:45
Ahem.... look at all the races in 2010. Look carefully, at all of them. Also, and seperately, consider the reliability of the Fords throughout the season. Each one.

TBH I have nothing against Tom Chilton winning a championship. His family have put about 38.5 million pounds into motor sport for Tom and Max and that has helped BTCC through a tough period when manufacturers have been reluctant to invest and so they deserve a title of some sorts. I hope Tom Chilton enjoys his success and stays in BTCC for many years to come.

TOC got a free drive this season, for good reason, he brought some class to the team and has shown good form and been gracious in his... errr.... fails to finish, gear shift problems etc etc. etc.

You could quite clearly hear TOC's car break in race 1 in the onboard replay and I dont believe for a second that the team would stoop so low as to make him retire in the others as the Silverstone team orders were bad enough.

BTCC2
10th October 2010, 21:50
Eh?

How could that help Neal?

Because then Shedden didn't take points off him.

BTCC2
10th October 2010, 21:52

Moving out of the way to drop from 1st to 2nd under the instruction of your team (which is within BTCC rules) is completely different from stopping all together.

And who was the best independent driver in 1998? But who won the independents title?

VkmSpouge
10th October 2010, 22:06

So the team purposely sabbotage their chances of the Manufacturers-Constructors' Championship by making one of their cars retire? Riiiight.

AndySpeed
10th October 2010, 22:19
And who was the best independent driver in 1998? But who won the independents title?

Tommy Rustad deserved that title...

Les
11th October 2010, 06:13

very nicely put

Bezza
11th October 2010, 12:33
Moving out of the way to drop from 1st to 2nd under the instruction of your team (which is within BTCC rules) is completely different from stopping all together.

The answer to both those questions is Tommy Rustad.

UltimateDanGTR
11th October 2010, 16:22
Because then Shedden didn't take points off him.

beautifully answered for me :) it would be another contender out of the equation, after all.

makes perfect sense actually. It makes these conspiracy theories so believable :p

Eurotech
11th October 2010, 16:33
Team Aon wouldn't have stopped Onslow-Cole taking part last weekend because there is always the chance that he could have helped Chilton take the indy title in the last race. Thats why teams often run a 3rd car towards the end of the season.....

I think this conspiracy is rediculous tbh. You could say that Ben Collins car was sabotaged on the saturday and then the same about pretty much every "technical issue" suffered by the team mates of any driver up for the championship in the last 50 years. Chilton won that title. End of.

Allyc85
11th October 2010, 20:16
Just read this on Pistonheads..

Congrats to Tom Onslow Cole
Those that matter in motorsport know he was the rightful indep. champion this year.
And he gets extra bonus points for not blowing the story, smart lad.
Hope you can land a drive next year worthy of your talent:clap:

Soo I maybe about to eat a slice of humble pie lol.

VkmSpouge
11th October 2010, 20:41
It was very unfortunate that Tom Onslow-Cole failed to score yesterday and take the Independent Drivers' Championship but then I'm sure both Tom Chilton and Steven Kane could point to races where a car failure cost them vital points.

The answer to both those questions is Tommy Rustad.

I do agree Tommy Rustad was the best privateer in 1998. But it is worth noting in the Drivers' Championship Matt Neal got 35 points and Tommy Rustad 12, so Neal was the best independent when competing against the rest of the mostly works field.

Spyder
11th October 2010, 21:10
It was very unfortunate that Tom Onslow-Cole failed to score yesterday and take the Independent Drivers' Championship but then I'm sure both Tom Chilton and Steven Kane could point to races where a car failure cost them vital points.

Can you please tell me which races you are sure that Tom Chilton and Stephen Kane had car failures that cost them vital points this season? I have checked and cannot find them.

TOC had three, (yes three) car failures yesterday. And of course several gear shift problems etc etc etc. To get the full story you really need to look earlier in the season, even before the gear shift problems that one Ford AON (just one) seemed to have.

Some say "Money talks" others say "Money swears"

But as a realist I know motor racing is about sponsors and finance. I am very pleased that Tom Chilton has won a title in BTCC. I hope it means he stays in BTCC for a few more years. His family gave TOC a free drive in 2010 and I hope it is enough to get him a sponsor for next year.

VkmSpouge
13th October 2010, 00:02
Can you please tell me which races you are sure that Tom Chilton and Stephen Kane had car failures that cost them vital points this season? I have checked and cannot find them.

Steven Kane suffered a broken differential in race three at Knockhill forcing him not even start.
Tom Chilton retired with a failure in race two at Thruxton and also had a puncture in race one.

I wonder if there would be this fuss here had Steven Kane won?

wedge
13th October 2010, 13:23
Personally I blame the Silverstone shenanigans