PDA

View Full Version : IZOD's Mike Kelly on their 1st season

NickFalzone
7th October 2010, 00:30
I know with marketers it's often hard to tell the difference between the BS and honesty, but my impression this season from IZOD/PVH is that the marketing side of this company really has a genuine interest in the racing and popularizing it in our culture. Some here would say that these are efforts in futility, that IndyCar will never get back to its heights. But that being said, a genuine promotional/branding partner could not IMO be a better fit for the series right now.

Also, what I have noticed and appreciate both from Mike Kelly and Randy Bernard, is that they apparently have taken some interest in what the hardcore fans want from the series.

WMJQPq8elyQ

Mark in Oshawa
7th October 2010, 07:46
Nick, at least it appears that IZOD and Bernard care about the series....and understand that they have to appear to listen to the fans. Tony George cared about the series because his family money was invested, but I never felt he understood the series and how it needed to operate.

Lousada
7th October 2010, 10:56
Hinchcliffe throws out these questions like a pro. If he can't get a ride, maybe he should consider a new career as a reporter.

But back on topic. It's very nice what IZOD is doing for the series with their activation and branding and sorts. But Randy should realize IZOD is just a series sponsor. They come and stay here for a while, but eventually they leave again. Indycar must go on, but when IZOD leaves, Indycar is stuck with all these changes. Like that stupid trophy. The Indycar identity must be independent of IZOD, instead of becoming exactly like the IZOD identity.

Civic
7th October 2010, 10:59
I was in New York last month and there's a huge IndyCar sign in Times Square!

Lousada
7th October 2010, 11:06
I was in New York last month and there's a huge IndyCar sign in Times Square!

It's been there for a while. If I remember correctly the first time was with Hunter-Raey's Rahal-Letterman car, the one in Ethanol colours when he had that victory at the Glen.

maximilian
7th October 2010, 16:05
If they have supposedly taken some interest in what American race fans want, then they shouldn't have withdrawn their sponsorship of a top American driver and top-10 finisher in the series, leaving his team to scramble for a new sponsor!

anthonyvop
7th October 2010, 17:01
If they have supposedly taken some interest in what American race fans want, then they shouldn't have withdrawn their sponsorship of a top American driver and top-10 finisher in the series, leaving his team to scramble for a new sponsor!

Yep.
Especially considering it was him who brought I-Zod to the series in the first place.

Poor Andretti Racing. Lost to big checks in a span of 48 hours.

maximilian
7th October 2010, 17:18
Yeah, that sponsorship withdrawal coupled with the idiotic championship trophy were 2 items in the last couple weeks that kinda demolished the goodwill IZOD has created with me as a "fan" [by sponsoring the series]... :rolleyes:

Dr. Krogshöj
7th October 2010, 19:11
It isn't normal for a series title sponsor to sponsor a drivers as well. Andretti has five months to find a sponsor for RHR, and if they don't, I bet Izod will step up at the last moment to keep him in the series. But until then, they absolutely should pressure Andretti to find a proper sponsor for that car.

anthonyvop
7th October 2010, 19:45
Does Mikey, or many of the other teams, even have a professional PR/marketing person on staff?

Yep....But it is a really tough sell. Trying to get $8 Million + for a product that has a Value of about $1 Million takes a very special salesman.

NickFalzone
8th October 2010, 03:24
Randy Bernard

KDJvUW-PvT4

Enjun Pullr
8th October 2010, 17:14
AA has a fat marketing department.

Izod didn't step in to add to 2010 races for RHR, that was done by AA finding a combination of associate sponsor checks.

That wouldn't suggest Izod will jump in and save the bacon as 2011 approaches. Cavin said on Trackside last night that IZOD may still subsidize a car, and a personal services contract with RHR, but they were not pleased with the deal they got from AA.

Why they feel the need to sponsor an individual entrant is beyond me. The way they did it this year seemed foolish: when the money was running out, Kelly was offering free advertising to prospective partners to come in and fill the void. That's what the Aquahydrate deal was about. Blink.

Izod would get more out of dedicating that $2 or $3M to marketing the Series more effectively, and settle for having their name on every car like it is now.

Will Rogers
12th October 2010, 13:21
"I know with marketers it's often hard to tell the difference between the BS and honesty,..."

Nick, just so you know, the problem you refer to is a common affliction that is by no means limited to marketers. We'll give you a pass this time...

Enjun Pullr
12th October 2010, 21:53
More from Kelly:

http://inside.izod.com/post/1299009419/izod-rates-2010-indycar-season-an-11?ref=nf

And nothing would make me happier if it was all true. But there is a big wart in there, and it opposes some information given by Kelly's boss last month. Chirico said that Izod was seeing a positive return on the marketing investment, and a resultant increase in orders. Kelly was involved in that conference call, and fails to mention any such specifics about perceived ROI.

One of them is being accurate?