PDA

View Full Version : FIA Academy

Sulland
6th October 2010, 16:54
JWRC has its last season in 2010, and the FIA Academy for Rally will take over.
Some news here, and we will know more after Spain.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=no&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-magazin.de%2Ftop%2Ftopnews%2Fd16%2Fd%2F2010%2F10%2 F06%2Ffia-akademie-twingo-oder-fiesta%2Findex.html

OldF
6th October 2010, 20:09
IMO this is the right way to go for the youngsters. No rallies overseas and R2 because they’re real competition cars compared to a N4. Using the same make for all drivers is also fair but which one to choose.

ProRally
6th October 2010, 20:44
No more Pirelli Star Drivers, now FIA will select 5 out 16 drivers on 23rd this month during shootout in Spain, and those 5 will get WRC Academy drive.
Winner of 2011 season gets 2012 SWRC drive !!!

Francis44
6th October 2010, 20:46
Good decision, better for everyone.

bluuford
6th October 2010, 21:04
No more Pirelli Star Drivers, now FIA will select 5 out 16 drivers on 23rd this month during shootout in Spain, and those 5 will get WRC Academy drive.
Winner of 2011 season gets 2012 SWRC drive !!!

I red from somewhere that two of those 16 must be women?

Motorsportfun
6th October 2010, 21:34
IMHO, it's good to have a one-make series, just like many formulas... cheap car, low budget, big prize.

Sulland
6th October 2010, 23:15
So how are the 16 chosen - is it the NSA that chooses, or how is it done ? So you can not get a budget and drive the series yourself ?

Rally Hokkaido
7th October 2010, 07:23
Australia has two representatives - Brendan Reeves and Molly Taylor.

Molly was nominated by the FIA Women and Motor Sport Commission.

http://www.mollytaylor.com.au/home/

I believe Brendan was nominated by the FIA APRC Working Group based on his performances in this year's APRC.

Rallyper
7th October 2010, 14:33
Sweden´s young talent Fredrik Åhlin is nominated. He´s son of Susanne Kottulinsky. Been driving Subaru N12 in swedish championship.

Sulland
23rd October 2010, 20:04
What is happening on the shootout, is it tomorrow, or how does it work ?

Mirek
23rd October 2010, 20:33
Stages were today, interviews are tomorrow.

Sulland
23rd October 2010, 21:55
Ok thx, so are the results official tomorrow then ?

Mirek
24th October 2010, 12:44
http://wrc.com/news/new-fia-wrc-academy-revealed/?fid=13843

Some more details about the Academy.

N.O.T
24th October 2010, 13:54
more money for WIlsons piggy bank to waste on his talentless kid.

Woodeye
24th October 2010, 14:08
Is the complete list of the nominated drivers somewhere available for everyone to see?

AndyRAC
24th October 2010, 14:13
Why are they using M-Sport Fiestas?? Couldn't they find another Manufacturer??
I'd have preferred a non-Citroen/Ford car........

Mirek
24th October 2010, 14:34
Is the complete list of the nominated drivers somewhere available for everyone to see?

All six drivers chosen from PSD will be revealed at 16:30 today. Other WRC academy drivers couldn't even apply as the registrations haven't been opened yet.

Sixteen nominated drivers into PSD shotout are for example here: http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11258

PLuto
24th October 2010, 15:38
Six drivers chosen: http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11259

darkstar
24th October 2010, 15:50
so there are those 6 chosen driver´s and all others who want, can compete too, is that right?

i would have liked the twingo r2´s best, because they make some nice bang-sound on shifting, just like the clio r3, witch ford and citroen not really have.

but ok, so maybe wilson can earn a little more money to compete against citroen ;) ;)

Mirek
24th October 2010, 15:56
so there are those 6 chosen driver´s and all others who want, can compete too, is that right?

As far as I understand the entries are limited as they will use same cars. Other drivers must apply for some later qualification but I don't know exact criteria. The difference between going there through PSD and normal application is that PSD winners will drive for free.

Pinto
24th October 2010, 16:05
Well done to Craig Breen great to see an Irishman in there

noel157
24th October 2010, 16:24
Winners:

Brendan Reeves New Zealand
Craig Breen Ireland
Andrea Crugnola Italy
Fredrik Ählin Sweden
Jan Cerny Czech Republic
Molly Taylor Australia

Other than Taylor and Breen I know little about the other drivers. Can some of our members from the relevant countries tell us a little about them?

Mirek
24th October 2010, 16:55
Jan Černý is 20 years old from Příbram. He was driving rallycross before he got driving license and than youngster cup here together with for example Martin Semerád. Than he drove almost all Czech rally events plus some European championship events, European Clio Trophy. He drove as many events as possible with various cars (206 RC, C2 R2, Clio R3, STI N12, Evo IX) but I think that Clio suits him most. He showed himself most when he won Monte Carlo 2010 prologue and kept in fight on top but later broke wheel. In Ypres he again won shakedown but than lost time due to wrong tyre choice and finally crashed trying to get time back. In Barum rally he won quite a lot of stages among 2WD but due to wrong tyre choice he lost a lot of time. He was also 6th overall in Elpa with C2 R2 (his first ever gravel event). Last year he was close to be selected in PSD competition but there were only 2 drivers chosen. Lately he had great run in Rally Jeseniky in our sprint championship where he was 7th overall among WRC, S2000 and N4 cars and by one minute fastest 2WD on 70 km. In Czech International championship he either won among Citroën Trophy or retired with broken driveshaft, nothing else. His next event is Rallye du Valais.

tolis
24th October 2010, 16:57
Jan Černý is 20 years old from Příbram. He was driving rallycross before he got driving license and than youngster cup here together with for example Martin Semerád. Than he drove almost all Czech rally events plus some European championship events, European Clio Trophy. He drove as many events as possible with various cars (206 RC, C2 R2, Clio R3, STI N12, Evo IX) but I think that Clio suits him most. He showed himself most when he won Monte Carlo 2010 prologue and kept in fight on top but later broke wheel. In Ypres he again won shakedown but than lost time due to wrong tyre choice and finally crashed trying to get time back. In Barum rally he won quite a lot of stages among 2WD but due to wrong tyre choice he lost a lot of time. He was also 6th overall in Elpa with C2 R2 (his first ever gravel event). Last year he was close to be selected in PSD competition but there were only 2 drivers chosen. Lately he had great run in Rally Jeseniky in our sprint championship where he was 7th overall among WRC, S2000 and N4 cars and by one minute fastest 2WD on 70 km. In Czech International championship he either won among Citroën Trophy or retired with broken driveshaft, nothing else. His next event is Rallye du Valais.
He had also started in Rally Elpa in 2009 with an MG ZR 160, but retired in the first SS. :)

Mirek
24th October 2010, 16:58
Yes, again broken driveshaft :D

Gordini
24th October 2010, 18:00
Would have liked to see a Gordini Twingo for the academy. That would have gotten another manufacturer in to WRC, and that we need!

But good prices for the talents.

ProRally
24th October 2010, 19:10
Winners:

Brendan Reeves New Zealand
Craig Breen Ireland
Andrea Crugnola Italy
Fredrik Ählin Sweden
Jan Cerny Czech Republic
Molly Taylor Australia

Other than Taylor and Breen I know little about the other drivers. Can some of our members from the relevant countries tell us a little about them?

Brendan Reeves is from Australia..... :D

COD
24th October 2010, 20:46
Why on earth did they choose the Ford's? They had the chance of taking for example Renault Twingo. They could have lured another manufacturer to WRC, but no. Maybe FIA is happy with just two?

AndyRAC
24th October 2010, 21:11
Why on earth did they choose the Ford's? They had the chance of taking for example Renault Twingo. They could have lured another manufacturer to WRC, but no. Maybe FIA is happy with just two?

Quite agree, a perfect opportunity for a new company to join the WRC - so they give it to Ford/ M-Sport.......doh!

Mirek
24th October 2010, 22:16
Actually Renault really applied for running WRC academy. I don't know the criteria and why they decided what they decided.

rp
25th October 2010, 07:05

That´s true! Only M-Sport and Renault were applied and it must be that Ford´s offer was better, but you never now. It has said that the WRC Academy season will cost about 135 000 Euros and I think that with the other car than M-Sport Fiesta R2 it would have been cheaper.

Malcolm knows how to make business, but I doubt how the M-Sport is able to handle next year´s program. They have to prepare and service all the Fiesta RS WRCs, Fiesta S2000s and Fiesta R2s and I fear it will have an effect on the development of the new RS WRC, when all the resources would have needed to stop Citroen´s success. It is so sad that Ford´s involvement in the WRC is only possible if everything is commercial business, but hopefully also Ford of Europe is strongly (also funded, not only promoting) behind the Fiesta RS WRC and it is not only the M-Sport´s peak product...

The same story can be also with the Prodrive/Mini and BMW. Citroen has showed what is the difference between the real works team and the semi-works...

Sulland
25th October 2010, 08:54
Presentation video: http://wrc.com/video/browse-all/video-the-wrc-academy-is-launched/?vid=1845

OldF
25th October 2010, 16:41
“WRC Academy is planned for inclusion in a separate selection of the other driver talent, which compete with private financing.”

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fi&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nesteoilrallyfinland.fi%2Fsisap iirinews%2F2010%2Fsisapiirinuutiskirje1210%2Fwrcac ademy%2Fdefault.html

OldF
25th October 2010, 17:15
I think this was the first time I found some real news on FIA web pages.

OBJECTIVES, SELECTION PROCESS, SELECTION EVENT, etc.

http://www.fiainstitute.com/news/Pages/article-75.aspx

Donney
25th October 2010, 19:46
I think it is a great idea, probably the Fiesta was chosen based on the experience, price and servicing capabilities of M-Sport. Maybe Renault's involvement in F1 didn't help in terms of having the resources to support the Academy for a long time.

Sulland
25th October 2010, 22:23
Are the Fiesta and Twingo an even match in the UK, on both surfaces, or is one quicker ?

OldF
25th October 2010, 22:32
It has said that the WRC Academy season will cost about 135 000 Euros and I think that with the other car than M-Sport Fiesta R2 it would have been cheaper.

There are still some additional costs to the 135.000 €.

“The WRC Academy aims to be accessible and affordable and the basic cost of participation is set at 118,000 UK Pounds (approx 135,000 Euros) per season. In addition, drivers will have to provide for travel and accommodation for the crew, a car to participate in recce and the cost of repairing accident damage to the cars.”

http://www.rallyforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=854510&postcount=13

Sulland
25th October 2010, 22:39
There are still some additional costs to the 135.000 €.

“The WRC Academy aims to be accessible and affordable and the basic cost of participation is set at 118,000 UK Pounds (approx 135,000 Euros) per season. In addition, drivers will have to provide for travel and accommodation for the crew, a car to participate in recce and the cost of repairing accident damage to the cars.”

http://www.rallyforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=854510&postcount=13

But for the 6 Pirelli drivers the whole thing is free, is it not ?

A.F.F.
25th October 2010, 23:04
Another Fiesta-cup with selected drivers?

Why not open for all who wanted?

OldF
25th October 2010, 23:31
But for the 6 Pirelli drivers the whole thing is free, is it not ?

I don’t know, maybe it’s the local ASN (who select the driver and he/she passed the process) who pays these fees.

ProRally
26th October 2010, 07:23
Another Fiesta-cup with selected drivers?

Why not open for all who wanted?

IT IS open to all who want, they just have to be under 25years and they can via their ASN buy a drive for 135K for the season.

There are 24 cars, 6 are going to Pirelli selected and the rest are for those who want to give a shot...

Think this is great initiative by the FIA, the PSD with the Lancer evoX was much more expensive and cars where not good.

Remember the winner of the WRC Academy is going to get 500.000 euro budget for 2012 !!!

And the winner is one of the 24 !!!!

ProRally
26th October 2010, 07:36
Actually Renault really applied for running WRC academy. I don't know the criteria and why they decided what they decided.

At the start there where 5 manufacturers interested. But by Rally Finland only 2 left.

Met the Renault guys at WRC France they where trying to push but in my opinion too late.

Did a test just last week with a Twingo R2 and was impressed by the little car.

So where others.

A.F.F.
26th October 2010, 08:40
IT IS open to all who want, they just have to be under 25years and they can via their ASN buy a drive for 135K for the season.

There are 24 cars, 6 are going to Pirelli selected and the rest are for those who want to give a shot...

Think this is great initiative by the FIA, the PSD with the Lancer evoX was much more expensive and cars where not good.

Remember the winner of the WRC Academy is going to get 500.000 euro budget for 2012 !!!

And the winner is one of the 24 !!!!

Ok. :up:

OldF
29th October 2010, 16:39
The Finnish FIA Academy nominee will be Esapekka Lappi.

He’s 19 years old and this is his second year in rallying. This year he was third in Finnish 2WD championship and second in the junior championship. He won his class in Zwickau, Germany (tarmac rally) and was 6th overall.

He’s been driving karting since he was 5 years old (1996) and won the ICA Finnish championship 2007. He’s also been driving rallysprint and won 2008 all 21 junior competitions he attended.

http://www.esapekkalappi.fi/ (only in Finnish so far)

Others that now more about him can continue (what kind of person etc.).

Source: www.autourheilu.fi (http://www.autourheilu.fi/)

Barreis
29th October 2010, 16:59
I red from somewhere that two of those 16 must be women?

I like this..

GigiGalliNo1
31st October 2010, 09:08
I think the concept is great but crap to have ONE type of car in the series.

It'll be like Citroen and Ford in the WRC. Without another manu it's boring as hell.

Australian Rally Champs had a one series make for young drivers all driving Subaru Impreza RS's and I think after a season or two it was a flop.

Fair enough it gets the youngsters racing but we loose Suzuki and a few other guys too.... Rather more variety then the same thing.

ProRally
31st October 2010, 09:26
I think the concept is great but crap to have ONE type of car in the series.

It'll be like Citroen and Ford in the WRC. Without another manu it's boring as hell.

Australian Rally Champs had a one series make for young drivers all driving Subaru Impreza RS's and I think after a season or two it was a flop.

Fair enough it gets the youngsters racing but we loose Suzuki and a few other guys too.... Rather more variety then the same thing.

Yes, but remember drivers are paying to FIA for the seat/drive, so price is same for all.
Hard to do if you have several makes.

OldF
31st October 2010, 11:45
Pirelli will be the official tyre supplier.

http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/new_wrc_academy_gets_support_from_pirelli/

OldF
31st October 2010, 11:49

End of an era for Suzuki

http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/end_of_an_era_for_suzuki/

GigiGalliNo1
31st October 2010, 11:59
End of an era for Suzuki

http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/end_of_an_era_for_suzuki/

I rad that on WRC.com just before I posted. That's what has annoyed me. FIA need to think about the future and what the sport is now. Regardless which series it is, Juniors or WRC guys. One Manu for juniors is OK but I don't see the point in competition. Competition between drivers and their cars is the maximum pleasure in the sport. It would just be boring seeing Mikko, Latvala, Loeb, Ogier, Solberg etc all in one car that can do the same... (if we can say this with Loeb) haha - that's another story.

Jafry
31st October 2010, 16:41
10 years history of junior championship HERE (http://www.rally-mania.cz/news.php?id=10102) ;)
Translate to your language by flags on right top corner...

M5
3rd November 2010, 16:30
Going for Molly for Champion !!

cercle
4th November 2010, 11:39
Is there already any news in witch rallys they will start?

aykutbilir
4th November 2010, 12:29

Not yet.

PLuto
4th November 2010, 13:39

According to info from Morrie Chandler decision will be made during November/December.

NaBUru38
4th November 2010, 19:46
You bet they will be Spain, Germany, France and three or four more European rallys. The "World" in "World Rally Championship Academy" is just a brand, not reality.

PLuto
4th November 2010, 20:03
Yes, it is sure it will be european events...

tolis
4th November 2010, 20:11
Yes, it is sure it will be european events...
In my opinion, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, GB and Finland... :D

ProRally
4th November 2010, 20:13
In my opinion, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, GB and Finland... :D

In different order then.... but guess you are correct. :D :D

DonJippo
4th November 2010, 21:10
In different order then.... but guess you are correct. :D :D

If that's true then have to say Jarmo has been quite succesfull in cabinets :D

PLuto
4th November 2010, 21:12
Maybe Sardegna instead of Portugal?

Barreis
4th November 2010, 22:24
What's this: FIA Academy?

ProRally
5th November 2010, 06:25
What's this: FIA Academy?

http://www.wrc.com/wrcacademy/

Barreis
5th November 2010, 08:15
The only new thing is the 500 000..

Tomi
5th November 2010, 10:08
The only new thing is the 500 000..

yes, very cheap price, compaired to many other motorsports.

ProRally
5th November 2010, 12:12
Academy drive costs 135.000 euro for season

The 500.000 is the prize the winner gets for 2012 !! :bounce:

mm1
5th November 2010, 12:34
And 135000 EUR is a very good price, I think demand will be very high, will M-sport be able to suply cars to all the possible customers.

ProRally
5th November 2010, 13:00
And 135000 EUR is a very good price, I think demand will be very high, will M-sport be able to suply cars to all the possible customers.

There are 24 cars, but 6 already taken by FIA Academy selected drivers, so 18 left...

I think it will go fast too... lets see.

Finally a good promotion from FIA for the young driver.

They do something similar for circuit

Motorsportfun
5th November 2010, 16:53
There's the finnish entry, a german entry and the winner of Italian junior rally championship, Stefano Albertini (already in JWRC with a Clio R3). ;)

morganmilan
5th November 2010, 18:25
There's the finnish entry, a german entry and the winner of Italian junior rally championship, Stefano Albertini (already in JWRC with a Clio R3). ;)
Riedemann?

alleskids
5th November 2010, 18:57
Is there a 1 driver per nation limit?

ProRally
5th November 2010, 19:51
Is there a 1 driver per nation limit?

Don't think so, everybody who is younger then 25 yr can enter... but full is full

urabus-denoS2000
5th November 2010, 20:01
Crugnola and Albertini already from Italy , so no limit

Jeppe
5th November 2010, 20:55

So who is from Finland???

OldF
5th November 2010, 21:27
Esapekka Lappi

Have a look at post #44 in this thread.

Jeppe
5th November 2010, 21:55
Well you´re right. EsaPekka Lappi is a Finnish nominee but for now on just for the Institute which is a school for rally/racing drivers..

Lot´s of talent thou but I believe that there´s still no one from Finland in the Academy. I really hope that we can get somebody from Finland who can give a shot. But 135kEur + expenses is a serious issue..

OldF
5th November 2010, 22:17
"AKK-Motorsportin ehdokkaat uuteen Akatemiaan ovat rallikuljettaja Esapekka Lappi ja rata-autoilija Joni Wiman."

http://www.autourheilu.fi/tiedotteet/muuttiedotteet/27220.aspx

PLuto
6th November 2010, 08:05
Jeppe is right. There will be training in February with all nominated drivers and they will choose only limited number of them.

OldF
6th November 2010, 14:55
Yes, OK. I thought that it was obvious that anyone is in the academy yet. So what Motorsportfun was saying is that there are nominees from Finland, Germany and Italy.

NaBUru38
6th November 2010, 21:35
Maybe Sardegna instead of Portugal?
The tarmac-friendly S2000s will do Italy, not Portugal, so my bet is you are right.

Motorsportfun
7th November 2010, 01:10
The tarmac-friendly S2000s will do Italy, not Portugal, so my bet is you are right.

Yeah, also because in Italy - if FIA, NOS and Manu will say "ok" - it will be planned the 1st leg on Thursday on tarmac! ;)

alleskids
7th November 2010, 16:48
They should do REALLY mix tarmac and gravel, in 1 stage like they did in Cyprus this weekend. Gravel set up and gravel tyres on tarmac is also cheaper on traveling costs, as they do not need to have double the equipement. And maybe even more important :) , it is beautifull to see drivers showing their skils in handling the gravel set up on tarmac.

ProRally
7th November 2010, 19:06
They should do REALLY mix tarmac and gravel, in 1 stage like they did in Cyprus this weekend. Gravel set up and gravel tyres on tarmac is also cheaper on traveling costs, as they do not need to have double the equipement. And maybe even more important :) , it is beautifull to see drivers showing their skils in handling the gravel set up on tarmac.

Changing Fiesta R2 from gravel to tarmac and back is easy....

Retlub Ecaps
10th November 2010, 02:48
Changing Fiesta R2 from gravel to tarmac and back is easy....

Yes, but using both setups means they have to ship almost twice as much gear to and from the rally.

Sulland
10th November 2010, 08:50
Yes, but using both setups means they have to ship almost twice as much gear to and from the rally.

But is'nt that M-Sports headache ?

OldF
10th November 2010, 09:55
In Spain the WRC teams had 1 hr and 15 min to change from gravel to tarmac specs. Maybe it’s more time consuming with a WRC car.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FordWRC at 1:55

Sulland
10th November 2010, 13:35
In Spain the WRC teams had 1 hr and 15 min to change from gravel to tarmac specs. Maybe it’s more time consuming with a WRC car.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FordWRC at 1:55

And M-Sport will do that on 24 academy cars, if all cars are sold. Slots as a mechanic will be awailable....

Retlub Ecaps
10th November 2010, 22:44
But is'nt that M-Sports headache ?

It's every team's headache. Moreover, given that many of the changes to the WRC seem to be about reducing costs, bringing in a new kind of mixed-surface rally which increases costs seems like a step backwards. I might be missing something, since I'm no rally guru, but I really don't see the advantage of 1-2 days of gravel and 1-2 days of tarmac over a rally that's mixed surfaces the whole way through.

PLuto
12th November 2010, 00:27
I was trying to write a small series of stories about Pirelli Shootout 2010 - http://www.autosport.cz/zavody/?id=847

It is only in czech language, si I am afraid most of you will not understand it. In that case you can check (low quality) photos from all days of shootout. Access into gallery is:

name: guest
password: guest

http://www.autosport.cz/img/fotografie/c_a81f4a9d7a34a7c5f1d2ca2401660b0b.jpg

http://www.autosport.cz/img/fotografie/c_8c8bb71c2d2f7d08c8c2ab670a881c24.jpg

http://www.autosport.cz/img/fotografie/c_6d236050a16d88b74dad876ec720292a.jpg

Retlub Ecaps
12th November 2010, 00:40
http://www.autosport.cz/img/fotografie/c_8c8bb71c2d2f7d08c8c2ab670a881c24.jpg

WTF? Instead of bringing a stand, they hired people to wear visual aids for a presentation? :D

PLuto
12th November 2010, 00:48
This was a part of team building work during seminars on Friday.

OldF
13th November 2010, 20:13
What would be the ideal calendar for the youngsters?

This is my vision.

One snow rally (hopefully)
Two different tarmac rallies.
Three different gravel rallies.

My list is then:

Sweden (snow)
Portugal, Italy or Greece (ruff gravel)
Finland (fast gravel)
Germany (different tarmac stages)
France or Spain (muddy gravel or mixed gravel and tarmac)
Great Britain (muddy and slippery gravel)

PLuto
17th November 2010, 22:54
Programme of WRC Academy is out...

http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11361

OldF
18th November 2010, 14:34
So there’s still room for four drivers.

Who is financing the 135.000 € for the ten selected?

Sulland
18th November 2010, 14:39
http://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&ie=UTF-8&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php%3Fcl%3D11361&twu=1

NaBUru38
21st November 2010, 02:51
Will the WRC Academy eat the Fiesta SportTrophy International too?

Sulland
21st November 2010, 09:34
AS far as I have understood that is national/regional series, and have nothing to do with the academy - Renault could have won the contract, but this time did'nt.
So in my opinion two different things !

ProRally
21st November 2010, 10:49
So there’s still room for four drivers.

Who is financing the 135.000 € for the ten selected?

????
There are 24 cars, 6 are payed for by FIA Star driver.
So 18 cars still available....
But there is LOT of interest, I can imagen all gone by end of the year....

PLuto
21st November 2010, 22:51
Yes, there is lot of interest. And for sure choosen drivers wont be knonw before end of the year, because selection is on February...

OldF
21st November 2010, 22:57
Pluto, do you know if Pirelli is still going to fund the drive for the selected ones beyond 2011?

Mitch555
22nd November 2010, 22:08
It's fantastic to see two Australians being given a go after we haven't had a driver in the Pirelli Star Driver (although Paddon is an absolute star). Most of you already know of Molly Taylor from her time in the UK. Unsure of co-driver (maybe Dale Moscatt, as he has sat beside her before, or Coral Taylor, her mum, pending on Neal Bates' schedule). Molly can expect a great deal of rally knowledge behind her if she has either Coral or Dale beside her, plus assistance from Neal.

No one has commented on Brendan Reeves so far, so I might as well give you guys an insight into this wonderful guy!

BRENDAN REEVES
Brendan Reeves was a state autocross champion at 15, and in 2005 competed in his first rally as a 17 year old. 2006 he did his first round in a Subaru Impreza RS (naturally aspirated) and for 2007 was signed to the powerhouse Les Walkden team who was Asia Pacific Champion in 2006 with Cody Crocker (2003, 2004, 2005 ARC champ, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 APRC champ). Reeves finished on the podium in the first round of the ARC that year in his first rally with the team, first in a Subaru Left Hand Drive car etc. He finished 6th for the year and also tried tarmac rallying and finished second in his first tarmac rally (behind legend Jim Richards in a Porsche GT3).

2008 saw him drive in WRC New Zealand in a Fiesta, and secure a drive for Mazda in tarmac rallying (a separate sport in Aus pretty much). Won 2WD Showroom in the 5 day Targa Tasmania that year. He was selected for the Fiesta sporting trophy shootout, where he missed out on a spot (3rd).

2009 he did more international rallying, beating Paddon and Eli Evans for the Pirelli Star Driver Qualifier in the APRC Rally of Queensland. He also finished 3rd outright in the APRC New Zealand round in a leased car (Emma Gilmour's), with a stand in co-driver. He had a major accident in the fastest ARC round in South Australia where he and co-driving sister Rhianon Smyth were badly injured.

2010 he again drove for Mazda in tarmac rallying, winning Targa 2wd showroom. He was second outright at the Rally Tasmania tarmac rally (in his Subaru, run parallel with the ARC round). He then did the APRC Pacific Cup, doing the New Zealand, Australia and New Caledonia rounds. He won the New Caledonian round outright, winning the overall APRC Pacific Cup, a major achievement.

Having spoken to both Brendo and Rhi at many events, I am very glad they have got this chance to compete in the academy. Both are fantastic people who give the time to listen to any fan or interested spectator and are always very humble about their achievements. Without a doubt Brendo has got amazing talent so it will be great to compare him against the European guys!

noel157
23rd November 2010, 08:35
How will the remaining academy crews be picked in February? A panel of "experts"?

ARF
23rd November 2010, 09:52
I tend to get an idea that people mix two different academies.
One is the FIA Academy, which is basically just training sessions for rally and racing drivers. And the other one is the WRC Academy, which is basically a new name for JWRC, to which everybody can enter if meets the requirements (age factor, have not done more then 7 wrc events, have 118,000 pounds available etc).
To get to FIA Academy, first you have to be chosen by your local ASN and then by some international jury.

OldF
23rd November 2010, 12:26
If I’ve understood it right, the “FIA Institute Academy” (Global Driver Academy) is included in the FIA WRC Academy. I don’t think anyone will be selected for just the training program (FIA Institute Academy).

There are 24 cars available and 6 of them are for the drivers selected from the 2010 Pirelli shootout. By the news from FIA web sites 10 drivers will be selected from “FIA Institute Academy” so that would make 16 drivers who don’t have to pay the 135.000 € / 118.000 £ entry fee. Is this correct or are there only ten drivers that don’t have pay the entry fee by themselves (6 from Pirelli shootout and 4 from FIA academy)?

“Targeted at ambitious drivers of 24 or younger with a valid international competition licence who are ready to graduate from their national championships to compete on a global playing field, the FIA WRC Academy is set up with 24 places, six of which have been allocated to the 2011 Pirelli Star Drivers.”

“Training and tuition will be in the classroom and on the stages and like any real academy, there will be lecturers, mentors, grades and homework.”

“The Pirelli Star drivers will compete on all six rounds on the 2011 FIA WRC Academy Cup calendar and will undertake the FIA WRC Academy training and tuition programme, receiving an exceptional insight into what it takes to get to the top of the sport.”

2011 FIA WRC Academy Information Leaflet & Calendar

http://www.rallysportlive.com/2010/11/2011-fia-wrc-academy-information-leaflet-calendar/

Pirelli to support new WRC Academy

http://www.rallysportlive.com/2010/10/pirelli-to-support-new-wrc-academy/

“The top 20 finalists will be selected and notified at in early December and will be invited to the final selection event in February 2011, where the top 10 will be chosen.”

FIA Institute Academy

http://www.fiainstitute.com/education-programme/drivers-programme/Pages/Academy.aspx

“The Selection Event will take place over three days on 2-4 February 2011 at the Road Safety and Motor Sport Training Centre in Melk, Austria, which is one hour by car from Vienna International Airport. As the first day will start early on the morning of 2 February, it is recommended that participants arrive in Austria the day before. Full details about the Selection Event will be provided to the final 20 candidates in advance of the event.”

FIA Institute Academy – Applications to Close on Friday

http://www.fiainstitute.com/news/Pages/article-76.aspx

ProRally
23rd November 2010, 18:46
2 complete separate things....
WRC Academy anybody under 25 can 'buy' a seat of the 18 remaining.

FIA Institute Academy is completely something else.....

OldF
23rd November 2010, 22:47
Had to read the whole thread again to get back on track (hopefully). The title of this thread should be FIA WRC Academy.

Lets’ see if I get it right this time.

The 6 selected from Pirelli shootout will have a free drive in FIA WRC Academy + some training (not the FIA Academy).

18 drivers will be selected in February 2011. These drivers pay the entry fee (135.000 €) themselves. Couldn’t find any information how the candidates and the 18 drivers are selected. No information of who the candidates are.

noel157
24th November 2010, 00:07
Had to read the whole thread again to get back on track (hopefully). The title of this thread should be FIA WRC Academy.

Lets’ see if I get it right this time.

The 6 selected from Pirelli shootout will have a free drive in FIA WRC Academy + some training (not the FIA Academy).

18 drivers will be selected in February 2011. These drivers pay the entry fee (135.000 &#8364 ;) themselves. Couldn’t find any information how the candidates and the 18 drivers are selected. No information of who the candidates are.

Think that's just about correct, no?

ProRally
24th November 2010, 07:49
All correct, at time of WRC GB, about 80 drivers showed interest via the wrc website.
But to be fair only about 40 really potential.

There is no selection for the 18 remaining cars, it is first come first served deal. As far as I know

OldF
24th November 2010, 10:30
Thanks ProRally and ARF.

Made some calculations with the entry fees and the prize.

Costs of Pirelli drivers: 6*135.000 € = 810.00 € + 500.000 € = 1.310.000 €

Revenue from the others: 18*135.000 € = 2.430.000 €

2.430.000 – 1.310.000 = 1.120.000 €

Costs for one event: 135.000 / 6 = 22.500 €

Does anyone know how much it would cost to rent a Fiesta R2 + mechanics for one rally?

noel157
24th November 2010, 11:33
Thanks ProRally and ARF.

Made some calculations with the entry fees and the prize.

Costs of Pirelli drivers: 6*135.000 € = 810.00 € + 500.000 € = 1.310.000 €

Revenue from the others: 18*135.000 € = 2.430.000 €

2.430.000 – 1.310.000 = 1.120.000 €

Costs for one event: 135.000 / 6 = 22.500 €

Does anyone know how much it would cost to rent a Fiesta R2 + mechanics for one rally?

With rental, tyres, insurance, fuel, hotel and travel (and beer money)? Maybe around €10 - 12k or so for a 3 day rally in Europe? Slightly less if the Fiestas are only doing 2 days.

Edit - on thinking about it, might be nearer €15k, guess it depends on who the car is rented from and where.

muratgunarslan
24th November 2010, 11:46
http://www.wrc.com/content/fia_academy_livery.JPG

bluuford
23rd December 2010, 08:02
Egon Kaur announced that he has submitted an application to take part in FIA WRC Academy. He plans to start with the same car in Estonian Championship as well.

ProRally
23rd December 2010, 08:10
Egon Kaur announced that he has submitted an application to take part in FIA WRC Academy. He plans to start with the same car in Estonian Championship as well.

Very difficult, as the WRC Academy's cars will ONLY be used for the Academy, of course you can buy/make Fiesta R2 and do other events...

Jaanus
23rd December 2010, 08:58
Egon said he will buy a second Fiesta R2 for Estonian championship rallys. He is a reasonably fast driver, the 2010 Estonian champion in group N4 and will be great addition to the FIA Academy.

PLuto
23rd December 2010, 09:21
Pity is that Fiesta R2 is actually the worst R2 car. Lot of "Academy" drivers are thinking about buying their own car for this season, but after this car will be unsaleable...

Sulland
23rd December 2010, 11:30
Pity is that Fiesta R2 is actually the worst R2 car. Lot of "Academy" drivers are thinking about buying their own car for this season, but after this car will be unsaleable...

So what is the best R2 ?

urabus-denoS2000
23rd December 2010, 11:31
So what is the best R2 ?

C2 of course ... as in any class ;)

Rallyper
23rd December 2010, 11:54
Is there still classes like the old N2 or N3 classes? And in that case what´s the name? R2N? R3N?

And what about the RXT classes? Is the only difference turbos? E.g. more powered cars with same technical rules but engine? Very much to have control over for the media and spectators. Makes the sport more public, or??

Sorry wrong thread. I´ll change to the apropriate.

Mirek
23rd December 2010, 13:36
So what is the best R2 ?

The problem is that Fiesta is only normal R2 while Citroën C2 is R2 Max which is higher spec. Fiesta has good suspension but it lacks a lot of power compared to C2. But as a cup car it's good option.

Is there still classes like the old N2 or N3 classes? And in that case what´s the name? R2N? R3N?

And what about the RXT classes? Is the only difference turbos? E.g. more powered cars with same technical rules but engine? Very much to have control over for the media and spectators. Makes the sport more public, or??

Sorry wrong thread. I´ll change to the apropriate.

Nothing like RXN exists. There are only R1A, R1B, R2B, R2C, R3C, R3D, R3T and R4. Each of these is one single package of technical regulations under which particular car can be homologated. It's not a class anymore.

New system of classes works different way. It seems they found that new R classes won't be enough at least until there are tons of cars homologated in old groups A, N plus others like S1600, S2000, WRC...

So they put almost all existing cars with valid homologations (it's around 25 different kinds) and put them together in ten new classes sorted more fair than so far. New classes are signed simply by number, nothing else. 1 is fastest, 10 is slowest. Plus in WRC events there are WRC cars as eleventh class.

It's something new but there are quite reasonable pros in new system. So far we had S2000 and PC in one class. We had S1600 and R2 in one class etc. Now it's better sorted with S1600 and R3 in one class and R2 in different class with other A6 cars except S1600 etc.

But to answer Your original question closest new spec. to the old N2 is R1B. N3 has no similar option in Gr.R spec.

Bobcat
23rd December 2010, 14:08
It's all nonsense. Fiesta's R2 class wins have been frequent across Europe and, indeed, at the majority of WRC events ahead of C2 and Twingo cars.

The most saleable and affordable R2 will also be made available in the USA. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140702

Rallyper
23rd December 2010, 14:38
Thank you Mirek. Yuo are the living dictionary of rallysport! :)

Bobcat
6th January 2011, 23:04
http://www.caradvice.com.au/96991/three-young-australians-to-join-wrc-academy-in-2011/
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2011/01/06/513365.html

Gordini
7th January 2011, 20:05
What are the difference beween R2 and R2 Max regs? Is there R3 Max?

OldF
7th January 2011, 22:10
What are the difference beween R2 and R2 Max regs? Is there R3 Max?

There are no R2 Max or R3 Max regulations. There are R1, R2, R3, R3T (1.6 turbo engine) and R3D (2.0 diesel engine) regulations. The R1, R2 and R3 stand for the tuning grade (which parts can be replaced with homologated racing parts). The R1 is similar to group N regulations and R2 and R3 similar to group A regulations (there are minor differences between R2 and R3). There’s also the A, B and C grouping which stand for engine capacity.

R1A = 1400 cc (or below)
R1B > 1400 cc and = 1600 cc
R2B > 1400 cc and = 1600 cc
R2C > 1600 cc and = 2000 cc
R3C > 1600 cc and = 2000 cc

Taking the Citroen as an example the price of the C2R2 base kit is 21.700 € (tarmac kit, engine assembled, not as kit parts) and the price of the C2R2 Max kit is 37.400 € (difference 15.700 €).

The difference between the base kit and the Max kit is that the Max kit utilizes the regulations more (more homologated parts and about 10-15 PS more power).

Take your time and browse trough these regulations and find out what can be homologated (original or homologated in VR) in the different groups R1, R2, R3, R3T and R3D.

R1, R2 and R3:
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/C607AC321E6BA198C125780F003E242A/$FILE/260%20%2811-12%29.pdf

R3T and R3D:
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/9A75D0436A8B4CF6C1257802003BA524/$FILE/260D_2011.pdf

Livewireshock
8th January 2011, 00:02
In effect and to compare it to what has happened in the past. The difference between the R2 and the R2 Max kits that Citroen provide, is sort of like what Mitsubishi offered in Gp N with either a standard metal bodied Evo or the MR lightened version. One version is a better homologated racing special compared to the other.

alleskids
18th January 2011, 19:54
How many drivers are really confirmed for the FIA Academy? First the Pirelli Star Drivers:
Fredrik Ahlin (Sweden)
Jan Cerny (Czech Republic)
Craig Breen (Ireland)
Andrea Crugnola (Italy)
Brendan Reeves (Australia)
Molly Taylor (Australia).

plus new signings:
Miguel Angel Baldoni (Argentina)
Alastair Fisher (Irelan)
Egon Kaur (Estonia)
Yeray Lemes (Spain)
Miko-Ove Niinemae (Estonia)
Jose Suarez (Spain)

alleskids
8th February 2011, 16:59
18 drivers so far have been confirmed for the 2011 Academy:

Sebastien Chardonnet (France)
Victor Henriksson (Sweden)
Calle Ward (Sweden)
Fredrik Ahlin (Sweden)
Sergey Koryakin (Russia)
Philipp Knof (Germany)
Christian Riedemann (Germany)
Egon Kaur (Estonia)
Yeray Lemes (Spain)
Jose Suarez (Spain)
Alastair Fisher (United Kingdom)
Craig Breen (Ireland)
Andrea Crugnola (Italy)
Molly Taylor (Australia)
Miguel Baldoni (Argentina)

pettersolberg29
8th February 2011, 17:06
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89352

The 12 drivers have been chosen.

N.O.T
8th February 2011, 17:11
nice assortment of no future nobodies.....

ProRally
8th February 2011, 17:19
I think few more will follow next couple of days.....

pettersolberg29
8th February 2011, 17:21

Don't you think Mikkelsen will be a somebody? Kaur has a chance too. The rest I have to admit I know nothing about them!

Mirek
8th February 2011, 17:45

I don't understand how You can judge future of 18-years old kids You know nothing about...

N.O.T
8th February 2011, 21:04
I can judge the whole project as a way of wilson to cash his check with the FIA and nothing more....all those ford cups we had throught the years only gather nobodies with money who remain nobodies even after their 18 years.

The fact that the FIA named it academy mean nothing....and most of them are going to abandon the project half way as always....

Mirek
8th February 2011, 21:55
Sorry, but You mix two different things together. The twelve entries mentioned in autosport.com article are not FIA Rally Academy but Young Driver Academy which is different thing not connected to M-Sport anyhow. Most of those 12 drivers are kart/circuit drivers.

kobefly
23rd February 2011, 18:48
Nice to see an Argentinian there, I hope Miguel Baldoni can have some successfull results.

alleskids
23rd February 2011, 20:12
Timo van der Marel (Netherlands) and Mateo Brunello (Italy) are new names to the earlier list. 20 starters in Portugal for the FIA Academy

Mateo Brunello (Italy
Andrea Crugnola (Italy)
Timo van der Marel (Netherlands)
Sebastien Chardonnet (France)
Victor Henriksson (Sweden)
Calle Ward (Sweden)
Fredrik Ahlin (Sweden)
Sergey Koryakin (Russia)
Philipp Knof (Germany)
Christian Riedemann (Germany)
Egon Kaur (Estonia)
Yeray Lemes (Spain)
Jose Suarez (Spain)
Alastair Fisher (United Kingdom)
Craig Breen (Ireland)
Molly Taylor (Australia)
Miguel Baldoni (Argentina)

rp
23rd February 2011, 20:49
Oh no! France has new Sebastien. Is he already supported by Citroen? If yes we can already know the next works driver, when Loeb will retire...

I know that Chardonnet was (how about nowadays) a Lancia importer in France and during the many years provided the best possible Lancia Stratos for Bernard Darniche (by the way the final win of the Stratos in the 1981 Tour de Corse).

Is Sebastien Chardonnet from the same family..?

PLuto
23rd February 2011, 22:15
Yes, nephew.

Sulland
25th March 2011, 09:42
Still it irritates me that FIA did not choose Twingo as the academy car. Would have been an easy way of getting another brand into WRC !

25th March 2011, 10:29
Still it irritates me that FIA did not choose Twingo as the academy car. Would have been an easy way of getting another brand into WRC !
Think of the money Malcolm he is making, kudos to him

EDIT - Didn't mean its a good thing but

Sulland
25th March 2011, 14:59
Just to clean this up, here is info on the FIA Institute Academy: http://www.fiainstitute.com/education-programme/drivers-programme/Pages/Academy.aspx

This program is for drivers in all autosport genres, and the the drivers are here:

The 12 drivers are (in alphabetical order):
Kevin Abbring (21, Netherlands) RALLY
Paul-Loup Chatin (19, France);
Albert Costa (20, Spain)
Alon Day (19, Israel)
Philipp Eng (20, Austria)
Robin Frijns (19, Netherlands)
Timmy Hansen (18, Sweden)
Egon Kaur (23, Estonia) RALLY
Andreas Mikkelsen (21, Norway) RALLY
Alexander Rossi (19, US)
Richie Stanaway (19, New Zealand)
Stoffel Vandoorne (18, Belgium)

http://www.fiainstitute.com/news/Pages/article-84.aspx

What it is in broad terms;

The FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy is a groundbreaking new project to develop young driver talent worldwide.

The project, which is being trialled in the first year with a view to full implementation in future years, involves the creation of a fully-funded training programme that provides opportunities for upcoming drivers to develop the skills they need to progress their motor sport careers.

The participation and support of the FIA's National Sporting Associations (ASNs) is helping to ensure that the most talented drivers across the world have access to this initiative.

In its first year the Academy is selecting 12 drivers to take part, with at least one driver chosen from each of the following five regions: North, Central and South America; Western and Northern Europe; Central and Eastern Europe; Middle East and Africa; Asia and Oceania.

The Academy is accessible to drivers from both the rally and racing disciplines. The FIA Institute has teamed up with former Formula One star and two-time Le Mans winner Alex Wurz as well as former World Rally Champion Robert Reid to lead the Academy training programme.

In the first instance the Academy activities will take place in Europe but this will soon develop into a programme of events and workshops across the world.

Objectives

The primary goals of the Academy are:

- to prepare young drivers to compete at the pinnacle of the sport;

- to increase skills in the area of driver and road safety;

- to actively promote the principles of safety, fairness and responsibility both on and off the track.

The Academy programme is fully funded by the FIA Foundation, and managed by the FIA Institute, as part of the Motor Sport Safety Development Fund's Young Driver Safety Programme.

Curriculum

The curriculum is delivered in six separate workshops, varying between three to five days in duration. The workshops are conducted over a nine-month period at different locations in Europe.

Alex Wurz and his company Test & Training International are responsible for the driver training aspect of the curriculum. This includes the development of technical skills, safety training, attitudes and awareness.

Robert Reid and his company ESP handle the human performance aspect of the curriculum. This includes physiology, psychology, nutrition, media skills and career management.

Both Wurz and Reid are also coaching drivers on a one to one basis throughout the season.

The full Curriculum includes the following areas:

- Physiology
- Sports Psychology
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Driving skills: theoretical and practical understanding of vehicle dynamics
- Road Safety Trainer certification
- Sponsorship and Commerce in Motor Sport
- Communication and Media
- Team Performance and Dynamics
- Interpersonal Skills
- Career Management
- Marketing
- Logistics and Planning

Most of this has been posted as links here before, but a few of us were mixing up this academy and the WRC Academy, sorry about the confusion.