Roamy
6th October 2010, 16:47
Who is the top driver in F1 in the wet.

I am thinking
Hamilton and Alonso and perhaps a slight edge goes to Hamilton

What say you all.

steveaki13
6th October 2010, 17:55
Depends a bit on the car obviously but I think Hamilton has shown he can reach a higher level in the wet.

Also Vettel is OK in the wet. He dominated in the Toro Rosso in Italy back in 2008.
And won last years China race easily as well.

One other option is Sutil.
He only ever got near the points for Force India prior to this season in the wet.
Mind you even when having a good wet race, he usually binned it.

Robinho
6th October 2010, 18:28
i think Hailton and Vettel are probably the best. Alonso is right up there and Sutil does always seem to shine in the wet. Button also goes very well in the slightly wet/dry where he seems to have a good feel for the conditions.

Petrov is rated highly in the wet, but has blotted his copybook in slippery conditions. Rubens always used to be well suited to the wet too.

Firstgear
6th October 2010, 18:43
Button also goes very well in the slightly wet/dry where he seems to have a good feel for the conditions.
I was going to say Button as well. If he can get himself far enough behind the leaders to force the team to make a strategy call out of desperation instead of common sense - then he can be deadly. :D

F1boat
6th October 2010, 19:13
Lewis and Jenson.

Sleeper
6th October 2010, 19:41
I'd say its a three way tie between Hamilton, Button and Alonso.

N4D13
6th October 2010, 20:49
Vettel, then Hamilton and then, Alonso. Vettel won Monza 2008 on a Toro Rosso and then even managed to overtake LH at Interlagos the same year.

Big Ben
6th October 2010, 20:55
I suspect Vettel. Sutil seems to be good too. Hamilton and Alonso are doing alright in the wet but Vettel seems better.

donKey jote
6th October 2010, 21:03
Wettel :p

edv
6th October 2010, 21:57
Heidfeld

Tazio
6th October 2010, 23:19
I don't rate Fred that high as a wet weather driver. Overall talent wise he is in am exclusive group at the top, but he has had some very bad moments in rain.
Wasn't it Suzuka or Fuji where he crashed heavily in the wet in the McLaren destroying his shot at the championnship that year.
Anyway neither him or Massa are great rain racers IMO.

steveaki13
6th October 2010, 23:37
In the past Rubens was quite a wet weather master.

Pole at Spa in 93 in the Rain.
Led the 99 French GP in the drizzle
Won in a wet/dry race in Germany 2000.

Roamy
7th October 2010, 01:19
we should find out this weekend

Arjuna
7th October 2010, 03:04
Massa :)

gloomyDAY
7th October 2010, 03:13
Vettel. I was all smiles when he passed Hamilton at Brazil '08 on the last lap.

Then, Glock slid off the road.

Tazio
7th October 2010, 04:39

At a dive bar in downtown San Diego.

I thought I was going to have to request as "crash cart" at the end of that race as you were hyperventilating severely and hysterical—soldier! :s ailor: :p : ;)

gloomyDAY
7th October 2010, 06:09
At a dive bar in downtown San Diego.

I thought I was going to have to request as "crash cart" at the end of that race as you were hyperventilating severely and hysterical—soldier! :s ailor: :p : ;) :D What?! It was a good race.

Tazio
7th October 2010, 06:14
:D What?! It was a good race.

Yes it was!
Knock-on admitted he soiled himself!
As well as others :dozey: :)

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130332&highlight=Did+you+soil+yourself

F1boat
7th October 2010, 07:09
Won in a wet/dry race in Germany 2000.

with dry tyres!!!

Ent
7th October 2010, 13:30
I don't rate Fred that high as a wet weather driver. Overall talent wise he is in am exclusive group at the top, but he has had some very bad moments in rain.
Wasn't it Suzuka or Fuji where he crashed heavily in the wet in the McLaren destroying his shot at the championnship that year.

It was Fuji where he binned it. In that race, both Webber and Vettel were doing very well in the wet, respectively 2nd and 3rd with both catching leader Hamilton before Vettel ran up the back of Webber behind the safety car.

Ranger
7th October 2010, 13:50
Depends on the car - some cars have better mechanical grip than others.

This year it is McLaren that is good in the wet, last year it was Red Bull.

This still matters a lot more than the driver.

wedge
7th October 2010, 14:12

He aquaplaned. S**t happens when the track is drenched.

When you're forced to run a low DF spec car then heating up the tyres will be a greater problem.

fandango
7th October 2010, 18:01
I would think that Hamilton is the best overtaker in wet conditions, so he must have the best pace. Vettel has excellent pace too. The thing about the wet, though, is that it's never straightforward. The conditions change so much, so the thinkers in the car and on the pit wall can use this to their advantage.

Alonso is good in the wet if his setup is good. Then he can drive within the limits of grip and use good strategy. It's when he has to push and take risks with a not-quite-perfect setup that things go wrong.

How does Webber usually do in these situations?

jens
8th October 2010, 17:57

Well put. :)

Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Webber, Heidfeld, Kubica, Button, Barrichello, Sutil - all of them have had great wet weather drives, when the car is prepared excellently for the slippery conditions they have faced in the race.

To analyze their whole careers, Schumacher is probably above others as he had loads of great races, but he also has dared to gamble on setups and strategies more than others.

ioan
8th October 2010, 20:11
It's funny how people keep mentioning Alonso even though his had plenty of times when he crashed during wet races.

ioan
8th October 2010, 20:13
I would think that Hamilton is the best overtaker in wet conditions, so he must have the best pace. Vettel has excellent pace too. The thing about the wet, though, is that it's never straightforward. The conditions change so much, so the thinkers in the car and on the pit wall can use this to their advantage.

Alonso is good in the wet if his setup is good. Then he can drive within the limits of grip and use good strategy. It's when he has to push and take risks with a not-quite-perfect setup that things go wrong.

How does Webber usually do in these situations?

Webber is quite good in wet races, I would say at least one notch above Alonso.

Roamy
9th October 2010, 07:22
Webber is quite good in wet races, I would say at least one notch above Alonso.

no big deal if it rains Schumi is just going to drive off and leave everyone behind :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Valve Bounce
9th October 2010, 09:06
If it's wet, I'm betting on The Bunsen to burn them off.

Big Ben
9th October 2010, 09:15
If it's wet, I'm betting on The Bunsen to burn them off.

I think it´s in changing conditions where he thrives... he´s always slow enough to say "wtf.. let´s go nuts.. I can´t do much worse than this"

Valve Bounce
9th October 2010, 10:43
Just found this at autosport:

"It is the first time since the 2004 Japanese Grand Prix that a qualifying session has had to be abandoned and shifted back to Sunday.

Qualifying for the 2004 event also took place on 9 October, and it was Michael Schumacher who secured pole position on Sunday."

ioan
9th October 2010, 13:59
no big deal if it rains Schumi is just going to drive off and leave everyone behind :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm quite sure that you won't be laughing anymore if that happens! :D

wedge
9th October 2010, 14:58

Very true.

Remember how Webber round Button in the high speed corners in Shanghai last year like a hot knife through butter.

Wim_Impreza
14th October 2010, 12:05
we should find out this weekend

No, again they didn't drove in the rain.