PDA

View Full Version : Question for Champcar fans about Power......

jimispeed
5th October 2010, 05:32
Does my memory serve me right, that
will choked in Australia and hit the wall in a quest for the championship in Champcar? I remember something like this happening before for Will, while being close to a championship.

Chamoo
5th October 2010, 05:51
Does my memory serve me right, that
will choked in Australia and hit the wall in a quest for the championship in Champcar? I remember something like this happening before for Will, while being close to a championship.

I don't recall that he was in a quest for the championship. I believe he was on pole that year in Australia, a race his team put a lot of emphasis on (due to the Team Australia backing), and was leading the race by a wide margin, and just put it in the wall at the chicane.

TURN3
5th October 2010, 09:11
I don't recall that he was in a quest for the championship. I believe he was on pole that year in Australia, a race his team put a lot of emphasis on (due to the Team Australia backing), and was leading the race by a wide margin, and just put it in the wall at the chicane.

Correct, it was a non-points exhibition race. The same race Dario spun and stalled it on the opposite chicane.

SarahFan
5th October 2010, 12:33
It's 2010

What's a Champcar fan?

Chris R
5th October 2010, 12:48
yes, he has choked before, but so far he has not repeated those choke in the same manner - I kind of doubt he'll choke the next time a championship is on the line.....

I also hate to throw his team under the bus (but I will...) if they had not messed up (equipment failure??) the re-fueling at (can't remember which non-descript oval that was) he would not have been under that much pressure..... does anyone know if he had finished that race where he was running before the fuel issue how the championship would look after homestead??

bottom line is both Will and Dario (and their teams) did a great job this year - Dario & his team just did a little better... thanks to all of them for putting on a great show and giving us something to talk/cheer about......

wedge
5th October 2010, 13:24
In Champcar he showed he had speed but never the consistency nor the mettle. Too many times in Champcar he would melt under pressure.

I would like to say congrats to Will Power for stepping up to the plate to prove his critics wrong. The Andretti Cup is a bit silly and somewhat meaningless but it did mean that Power stepped up as a road racer to be reckoned with.

anthonyvop
5th October 2010, 13:45
Will was a different person all weekend. After his qualifying run he seemed nervous when he had the provisional pole and turned almost nasty when bumped by Franchitti. He just wasn't the typical smiling Will we had all grown accustom to.

Dr. Krogshöj
5th October 2010, 14:17
I think Will crashed in every Gold Coast Indy he started. In 2005 he made contact with his Team Australia team-mate Alex Tagliani in his debut race. In 2006 he was hit by Paul Tracy in the pits and then by Bourdais who tried a boneheaded move. In 2007, he was released into the way of Martinez by his pit crew and in 2008, he made a mistake while leading.

elis
5th October 2010, 15:26
It's 2010

What's a Champcar fan?

A great, loyal & knowledgable 'Family' of people who enjoyed some seriously fun & cool times watching some fabulous racing at some awesome locations with some seriously beautiful & powerful cars. If you weren't there you missed out, & continue to do so in the connections they retain & the memories they amassed. That is a champ car fan... a proud title one simply doesn't brush off, regardless of the year ;)

bblocker68
5th October 2010, 17:55
Hopefully this is another step in Will's maturation and he'll be all the more focused for next year. He'll have a good car and I'm sure his crew will provide him better pitstops, after learning their lesson..

He crashed in 2008, after re-unification. The Aussie race was for exhibition only, as pointed out above.

elan 02
6th October 2010, 05:11
Thanks elis, from this CC fans who spent all four days at Laguna Seca watching teams come to terms with the new DP 01 and cheering every move Bourdais made breaking the track record late Sunday afternoon set bye a demo run of a F1 car the year before. In a brand new car CC put forth in about one year. thanks DP, my money is on WP 2011

jimispeed
6th October 2010, 05:13
Hopefully this is another step in Will's maturation and he'll be all the more focused for next year. He'll have a good car and I'm sure his crew will provide him better pitstops, after learning their lesson..

He crashed in 2008, after re-unification. The Aussie race was for exhibition only, as pointed out above.

Somewhere there is a video on Youtube of Will qualifying in Australia, going blindly fast!!! I hope Indycar becomes as exciting as in the past!!

Mark in Oshawa
6th October 2010, 21:11
Will is a future champion. He has the speed, it is just a matter of time....

Civic
7th October 2010, 10:58
He has the first and last wins of the DP-01.

spiritone
8th October 2010, 00:34
Champcar, the series with the right VISION and the wrong leaders

Champcar, the only american motorsport series to ever challenge F1

Should i go on?

TURN3
8th October 2010, 02:21

No, that was CART.

BTW, just looked at the Team Redline unveiling at KV racing. They did the scheme on a DP01....and it looks sweet as she's my cherry pie.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th October 2010, 05:36
No, that was CART.

Champ Cars competed in CART from 1997. Alex Zanardi, Juan Montoya, Gil de Ferran, Cristiano da Matta, Paul Tracy won championships in Champ Cars. Those years made me a Champ Car fan. Just because it's merged into another series now, and a lot of us became IndyCar fans, it doesn't mean we have to repudiate what we once cherished.

garyshell
8th October 2010, 06:48

No, that was CART.

Champ Cars competed in CART from 1997. Alex Zanardi, Juan Montoya, Gil de Ferran, Cristiano da Matta, Paul Tracy won championships in Champ Cars. Those years made me a Champ Car fan. Just because it's merged into another series now, and a lot of us became IndyCar fans, it doesn't mean we have to repudiate what we once cherished.

Turn3 was right, the SERIES that you are talking about was CART. Yes the cars were champ cars. But the series didn't take on the name Champ Car until the three amigos came along. By then it was no threat to F1.

Gary

bblocker68
8th October 2010, 19:06
CART really challenged F1 when Nigel hopped over in 1993. Champcar faced an uphill battle it's entire existence..

bblocker68
13th October 2010, 17:02
CART really challenged F1 when Nigel hopped over in 1993. Champcar faced an uphill battle it's entire existence..

......and Champ Car's have been running before any of us were born. They were called Championship Cars back in the day, no? The Champcar series is something many of us would like to forget after surviving each year with black clouds over our heads.