PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Silly Season

maximilian
4th October 2010, 19:38
Seems like this could be one of the most uneventful silly seasons in a long time, especially compared to last year. It may well be that we don't see a lot of line-up changes and get something that looks very similar to this year with the obligatory mediocre but well-sponsored new drivers breaking into/staying in F1.

The boring option:
RedBull: 1 Webber / 2 Vettel
McLaren: 3 Hamilton / 4 Button
Ferrari: 5 Alonso / 6 Massa
Mercedes: 7 Rosberg / 8 Schumacher
Renault: 9 Kubica / 10 Petrov
Force India: 11 Sutil / 12 di Resta
Williams: 14 Barrichello / 15 Hülkenberg
Sauber: 16 Kobayashi / 17 Perez
ToroRosso: 18 Buemi / 19 Alguersuari
Lotus: 20 Kovalainen / 21 Trulli
Virgin: 22 Glock / 23 d'Ambrosio
Hispania: 24 Yamamoto / 25 Maldonado

Or we could have a more exciting line-up and more movement with some of those rumors out there coming true:

Ferrari: 5 Alonso / 6 Kubica
Mercedes: 7 Rosberg / 8 Heidfeld
Renault: 9 Grosjean / 10 Raikkonen
Villeneuve: 18 Villeneuve / 19 Ricciardo
Lotus: 20 Massa / 21 Kovalainen
Virgin: 22 Glock / 23 Chandhok
Hispania/Epsilon: 24 Senna / 25 Klien

Y'all's thoughts? ;)

Nikki Katz
4th October 2010, 19:48
I don't think that Renault will keep Petrov, though I'm not convinced they'd be willing to pay Raikkonen millions either. They could go for Sutil, Glock, Heidfeld etc as cheaper options.

Other than that, I think that if there are no buyouts then your boring option looks pretty likely. Someone buying into one of the many for sale teams could change all that, but personally I think we're more likely to simply lose Hispania.

jens
4th October 2010, 21:09
The most exciting part of the silly season is the second Renault seat. Still eager to know, what is going to happen. The signing of Räikkönen would be big news for F1 world. The retaining of Petrov would sound strange considering his performances. Hiring someone third would simply be interesting.

Funny that Villeneuve Racing is looking to buy either Toro Rosso or HRT, after their 13th team application was rejected. :p : Other than that - Esteban Guerrieri, who has been having an impressive WSR campaign, could join HRT if they make it to 2011. Wonder if a Spanish driver like Clos would also come into consideration for HRT in their current form. Wonder if Virgin is seriously considering hiring d'Ambrosio as their second race driver for 2011.

As for the "exciting" part, I'd be happy if Grosjean got a drive in at least somewhere like Virgin. Considering Renault's position and experiences, I understand, why they wouldn't be willing to take a gamble on him at the moment, so driving and proving himself somewhere else would be a fine start.

maximilian
4th October 2010, 23:26
As for the "exciting" part, I'd be happy if Grosjean got a drive in at least somewhere like Virgin. Considering Renault's position and experiences, I understand, why they wouldn't be willing to take a gamble on him at the moment, so driving and proving himself somewhere else would be a fine start.
I'll second that. I would think he might have an outside shot at Trulli's Lotus seat in connection with the Renault engine deal...

keysersoze
5th October 2010, 02:45
Seems like this could be one of the most uneventful silly seasons in a long time, especially compared to last year. It may well be that we don't see a lot of line-up changes and get something that looks very similar to this year with the obligatory mediocre but well-sponsored new drivers breaking into/staying in F1.

The boring option:
Ferrari: 5 Alonso / 6 Massa
Mercedes: 7 Rosberg / 8 Schumacher
Renault: 9 Kubica / 10 Petrov
ToroRosso: 18 Buemi / 19 Alguersuari
Lotus: 20 Kovalainen / 21 Trulli
Virgin: 22 Glock / 23 d'Ambrosio
Hispania: 24 Yamamoto / 25 Maldonado

Or we could have a more exciting line-up and more movement with some of those rumors out there coming true:

Ferrari: 5 Alonso / 6 Kubica
Mercedes: 7 Rosberg / 8 Heidfeld
Renault: 9 Grosjean / 10 Raikkonen
Villeneuve: 18 Villeneuve / 19 Ricciardo
Lotus: 20 Massa / 21 Kovalainen
Virgin: 22 Glock / 23 Chandhok
Hispania/Epsilon: 24 Senna / 25 Klien

Y'all's thoughts? ;)

IMO . . . same dog. Different fleas.

RJL25
5th October 2010, 11:24
I'd like to see Daniel Ricciardo given a go in one of the Torro Rosso's, it's supposed to be the feeder team producing new drivers for the senior team, fact is neither Alguersuari or Buemi have done much to make RBR or any other team for that matter start fumbling for their cheque books to secure their services in the same way that Vettel did when he first started at Torro Rosso, therefore in my opinion it's time for someone else to be given a go in the Torro Rosso cars.

In my opinion, for the Torro Rosso concept to work properly for Red Bull as a junior team to blood young drivers, their needs to be a maximum stay of 2 years at that team for drivers, if you can't do enough in two seasons in the STR to convince any other teams to give you a drive, then your not F1 standard son! Step aside... someone elses turn! They can't just continue to persist with Buemi and Alguersuari year after year untill one of them finally proves themselves to be capable of grand prix wins in the right equipment, and frankly thats what its all about, if your not capable of that then whats the point of developing them.

ArrowsFA1
5th October 2010, 11:36
They can't just continue to persist with Buemi and Alguersuari year after year untill one of them finally proves themselves to be capable of grand prix wins in the right equipment, and frankly thats what its all about, if your not capable of that then whats the point of developing them.
True, but to be fair to Alguersuari this is his first full season having been dropped in at the deep end with no testing or seat time last year. As time has gone on I've been more and more impressed with his performances and certainly think he deserves his seat in 2011. Buemi I'm not so convinced about.

Red Bull are finding the problem drivers have known about for a long time. Too few seats for too many drivers. If Dietrich Mateschitz does sell Toro Rosso the driver development programme may see more cutbacks.

I am evil Homer
5th October 2010, 11:42
I'd agree with Arrows...Jamie has impressed me with his work ethic and speed considering his only time with the car was race weekends. He took time to adjust but I think he's worth of the seat. Buemi seems to have stalled in his progression.

jens
5th October 2010, 11:52
A funny paradox. Not long ago there were complaints that STR is treating drivers poorly, changing them too often without enabling them to show their worth properly. Now, when they are trying to do that, they get criticized for keeping drivers in F1 too long. :p :

DazzlaF1
5th October 2010, 12:13
How I Think it'll end up

RED BULL: 1. Mark Webber, 2. Sebastian Vettel
McLAREN: 3. Lewis Hamilton, 4. Jenson Button
FERRARI: 5. Fernando Alonso, 6. Felipe Massa
MERCEDES: 7. Nico Rosberg, 8. Michael Schumacher
RENAULT: 9. Robert Kubica, 10. Adrian Sutil
FORCE INDIA: 11. Vitantonio Liuzzi, 12. Paul di Resta
WILLIAMS: 14. Rubens Barrichello, 15. Nico Hulkenberg
SAUBER: 16. Kamui Kobayashi, 17. Sergio Perez
TORO ROSSO: 18. Sebastien Buemi, 19. Jaime Alguersuari
LOTUS: 20. Heikki Kovalainen, 21. Karun Chandhok
VIRGIN: 22. Timo Glock, 23. Jerome d'Ambrosio
HISPANIA: 24. Sakon Yamamoto, 25. Pastor Maldonado

Dave B
5th October 2010, 12:50
My predictions, for what they're worth:

Massa goes to Renault in a straight swap with Kubica. They'll retain Petrov, all the talk of Kimi is a bluff.

Schumacher will have a repeat of his shoulder and neck injuries, and retire again.

maximilian
5th October 2010, 13:03
A funny paradox. Not long ago there were complaints that STR is treating drivers poorly, changing them too often without enabling them to show their worth properly. Now, when they are trying to do that, they get criticized for keeping drivers in F1 too long. :p :
Both the STR drivers have had plenty of time to adjust, and I don't buy that Algaeboy hasn't had enough time to learn and make an impact. Kobayashi and Hülkenberg and even Petrov had less time than him, and did a better job overall (with the possible exception of Petrov).

Meanwhile, Ricciardo is riding the bench for no reason, waiting for one of those 2 STR clowns to go away, despite CLEARLY having huge potential.

pino
5th October 2010, 13:35
My predictions, for what they're worth:

Massa goes to Renault in a straight swap with Kubica. They'll retain Petrov, all the talk of Kimi is a bluff.

This is the most realistic one, however I am 100% sure that Massa will stay at Ferrari for at least another year ;)

jens
5th October 2010, 13:45
Both the STR drivers have had plenty of time to adjust, and I don't buy that Algaeboy hasn't had enough time to learn and make an impact. Kobayashi and Hülkenberg and even Petrov had less time than him, and did a better job overall (with the possible exception of Petrov).

So you're trying to argue that Alguersuari hasn't made any impact? He has outraced Buemi on various occasions and even his qualifying performances have improved significantly over the course of his F1 career. And if you are already comparing rookies, I have to say that to me Alguersuari has left an impression of a more mature racer than for instance Hülkenberg, despite being younger.

maximilian
5th October 2010, 13:57
So you're trying to argue that Alguersuari hasn't made any impact?

Yes.

Algaeboy was last in the 2009 championship standings (except the hapless Luca Badoer), and he is effectively last in the 2010 championship standings (since we can't really count the new teams by the same standard), and hasn't scored any points in 10 races now. I wouldn't call that "impact". The guy is consistently in last place overall, and needs to go.

And Buemi should be soon to follow.

jens
5th October 2010, 14:06
Yes.

Algaeboy was last in the 2009 championship standings (except the hapless Luca Badoer), and he is effectively last in the 2010 championship standings (since we can't really count the new teams by the same standard), and hasn't scored any points in 10 races now. I wouldn't call that "impact". The guy is consistently in last place overall, and needs to go.

And Buemi should be soon to follow.

But perhaps STR is inferior to the other eight established teams and that's why he is behind others in points - or is that unthinkable? :p :

maximilian
5th October 2010, 16:15
But perhaps STR is inferior to the other eight established teams and that's why he is behind others in points - or is that unthinkable? :p :
That's not only thinkable, but true. Nevertheless, he has done nothing to impress. A team's performance is most often an indicator of the drivers they employ. A real talented driver can elevate and motivate an entire team even when their car is originally inferior (a la Alonso and Kubica at Renault, Vettel at STR, etc.) and create a lot of momentum and buzz, which then attracts more sponsors, engineering talent, etc. A Buemi/Alguersuari line-up has none such momentum or buzz, they have gone stale as a driver combo and aren't going anywhere, despite occasional decent performances. Time for some fresh faces.

Sleeper
5th October 2010, 17:26
Definitely, it should also be noted that Buemi and Alguesuari have both resigned for next year so its unlikely that we'll see anyone else in those cars.

And Viellneuve, good god NO!

maximilian
5th October 2010, 17:29
Definitely, it should also be noted that Buemi and Alguesuari have both resigned for next year so its unlikely that we'll see anyone else in those cars.

They resigned? Oh good, so we won't be seeing them after all :D

steveaki13
5th October 2010, 17:33

Its a suprise to me really that both have been kept. I may turn out to be wrong. (I frequantly am) but they just don't strike me as having a long term future in F1. I can't seem them moving to the senior teams.

They resigned? Oh good, so we won't be seeing them after all :D

;)

52Paddy
5th October 2010, 17:37
That's not only thinkable, but true. Nevertheless, he has done nothing to impress. A team's performance is most often an indicator of the drivers they employ. A real talented driver can elevate and motivate an entire team even when their car is originally inferior (a la Alonso and Kubica at Renault, Vettel at STR, etc.) and create a lot of momentum and buzz, which then attracts more sponsors, engineering talent, etc. A Buemi/Alguersuari line-up has none such momentum or buzz, they have gone stale as a driver combo and aren't going anywhere, despite occasional decent performances. Time for some fresh faces.

I agree with you - especially if you think of Kobayashi at Sauber (a less experienced driver, in a car on par [or certainly not much better than] with STR). And they have less resources at Sauber too. OK, so the Hulk and Kobay have been a little over-exuberant but that's to be expected from rookies. Algae doesn't seem to me as a mature driver - more like a driver that is well within his limits and not making any visible improvement over time. Yes he's young. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

Sleeper
5th October 2010, 17:42
A team's performance is most often an indicator of the drivers they employ. A real talented driver can elevate and motivate an entire team even when their car is originally inferior (a la Alonso and Kubica at Renault, Vettel at STR, etc.) and create a lot of momentum and buzz, which then attracts more sponsors, engineering talent, etc.
I think you're stretching things quite a bit there. This years car is the first that STR have had to design and build themselves (admitedly very heavily based on last years RB5/STR04) since the Minardi PS05, thats a long time for the design office to sit largely unused. Making comparisons to Vettel in 2008 is a bit pointless as the car then was a very good piece of kit and Ascanelli made some very smart calls on what updates to take from Red Bull and which ones to leave behind. You point to the efforts of Vettel, Alonso and Kubica, but neglect to mention that all of them had an experienced team mate to learn from (Heidfeld, Trulli and Heidfeld again respectively) and all made their debut's back when testing was unrestricted and had covered 10's of thousends of miles in testing. OK, its a bit more complicated with Alonso because of that first year with Minardi, but the competition wasnt remotely as strong back then anyway and he spent a year as Renault's test driver before racing for them.

I dont think Buemi is going to be a race winner, but I didn't think that much of him in the junior formules either. As for Alguersuari, his first time in an F1 car was practice in Hungary last year and a lot of his winter testing was done in the wet. His race pace is also very good but he does struggle with the front tires in qualy (so do a lot of drivers).

Sleeper
5th October 2010, 17:45
I agree with you - especially if you think of Kobayashi at Sauber (a less experienced driver, in a car on par [or certainly not much better than] with STR). And they have less resources at Sauber too. OK, so the Hulk and Kobay have been a little over-exuberant but that's to be expected from rookies. Algae doesn't seem to me as a mature driver - more like a driver that is well within his limits and not making any visible improvement over time. Yes he's young. But that shouldn't be an excuse.
Kobayashi had years as a Toyota test driver before his debut so is considerably more experienced than Jaime at driving an F1 car and Sauber have fantastic technical resources, if not financial.

maximilian
5th October 2010, 18:40
Sorry, but I am still not impressed. After 32 and 23 races each, respectively, it's time to perform. Enough "settling in and learning". Drive the car... fast. Score. At least make someone notice you exist. Guys like Webber and Alonso used to turn heads in a Minardi, which was the backmarker tream at the time, too.

Buemi was also a test driver in 2008, so he had plenty of mileage.

Toro Rosso knew it was coming, and had plenty of time to build a better car with plenty of Red Bull's financial resources. Without bright talents to develop their car and create some momentum for the team, however, they have stagnated badly and basically returned "Minardi" to where they started - at the back of the grid (never mind the heavily bleeding new teams).

And I don't buy the front tires excuse, either. That seems to be the latest convenient scape goat for drivers who aren't up to par, with Mikey S. being the poster boy!

jens
5th October 2010, 19:27
Algae doesn't seem to me as a mature driver - more like a driver that is well within his limits and not making any visible improvement over time. Yes he's young. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

I may understand the sentiments of a few people here that the current STR pair may not have a long future in F1 and are just waiting until their days in F1 are numbered (especially Buemi), but in no way can I agree that Alguersuari hasn't made any visible improvements. I'm afraid he simply isn't followed with enough attention.

When Jaime joined F1, he was horrible in qualifying, he got trashed by Buemi in the beginning of 2010 too. But lately he has been qualifying very well (11th at Singapore and was a full second per lap faster than Buemi at Spa!). Also recall Jaime's race at Singapore from 2009 - this guy was lapping 2 secs per lap slower than his team-mate, sliding all over the place, and holding basically everyone up. This year the same man was completely different - impressive pace and without unluck and car problems would have definitely scored points.

Doesn't seem mature? He managed to keep Schumacher at bay for 30 odd laps at Melbourne, in other races has put in some nice overtaking moves. Compare that to Hülkenberg, who keeps missing chicanes, when he is being threatened from behind. I remember Jaime racing quite aggressively at Spa - that's why he finally lost his hard-earned point due to time-penalty.

Sorry, but I am still not impressed. After 32 and 23 races each, respectively, it's time to perform. Enough "settling in and learning". Drive the car... fast. Score. At least make someone notice you exist.

Jaime has settled in, is indeed performing and improving on a consistent basis. Just pay attention, nothing else.

I would agree that Buemi has kinda stagnated though - he got some points in early-09 and managed to beat Bourdais, but hasn't managed to build on it.

CNR
5th October 2010, 22:23
http://community.redbullracing.com/users/Samantha-K/blogs/index.cfm/2010/9/8/Buemi-admits-targeting-Webbers-seat-for-2012---By-MotorsportcomGMM

Sebastien Buemi has admitted he is happy to spend another season at Toro Rosso in order to convince Red Bull that he should be paired with Sebastian Vettel in 2012.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/161563/1/buemi_has_a_special_place_on_renault_f1__wish_list _for_2011.html
Buemi 'has a special place' on Renault F1 wish list for 2011

to me it would make more more sense for him to spend a year at renault f1 or lotus
http://www.sports.ie/20101005344219/lotus-announces-red-bull-technology-partnership

Lotus Racing has today announced that the team has agreed a deal with Red Bull Technology for the supply of gearboxes and hydraulic systems from the 2011 season and beyond

maximilian
6th October 2010, 00:38
Doesn't seem mature? He managed to keep Schumacher at bay for 30 odd laps at Melbourne, in other races has put in some nice overtaking moves. Compare that to Hülkenberg, who keeps missing chicanes, when he is being threatened from behind. I remember Jaime racing quite aggressively at Spa - that's why he finally lost his hard-earned point due to time-penalty.

These days, even I could hold Schumacher at bay :D

OK, I do agree that he has shown improvement, that is true. I just don't think that it's quite enough still, and that Ricciardo for example has petter overall potential.

But if you'll agree on that Buemi has stagnated, then I would say what Algaeboy needs is to clearly beat his stagnated team mate, clearly outscore and outperform him the rest of the season, and maybe we can talk. I just feel that at least one of the 2 needs to vacate a seat at the end of the year.

Duchess
6th October 2010, 03:16
Now here's an interesting little article that popped up in Turun Sanomat today about Kimi's F1 2011 intentions: http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/164335.html [in the original Finnish]

You can see the English translated article over here: http://grandprixgirlsf1-en.blogspot.com/2010/10/raikkonen-puts-stop-to-renaults-milking.html

For the juiciest quote:

"I am very disappointed in the way they have used my name in order to promote their own marketing. I have not at any stage considered seriously driving for Renault and I can assure you that I'm 100% sure that I will not drive in Renault next year, Räikkönen declares in his straightforward way."

Tazio
6th October 2010, 03:52
Now here's an interesting little article that popped up in Turun Sanomat today about Kimi's F1 2011 intentions: http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/164335.html [in the original Finnish]

You can see the English translated article over here: http://grandprixgirlsf1-en.blogspot.com/2010/10/raikkonen-puts-stop-to-renaults-milking.html

For the juiciest quote:

"I am very disappointed in the way they have used my name in order to promote their own marketing. I have not at any stage considered seriously driving for Renault and I can assure you that I'm 100% sure that I will not drive in Renault next year, Räikkönen declares in his straightforward way."The reality is that he did contact them. I have seen this rehashed in the usual way as each F1 publication has to report it. And mind you I have no doubt that Renault F1 would use this for their own promotion. As I posted on another thread the official F1 web site (a legit source) just ran an interview with Eric Bollier in which he was asked this question, followed by his response:

Q: And there is still former world champion Kimi Raikkonen in the picture…
EB: He contacted us. But once again, our main issue at the moment is whether we should keep Petrov. Only if this question is negated we will look for replacement. Regarding Kimi, I would have to speak personally with him first, look him in the eyes to see if I see enough motivation there for him to return to Formula One. It doesn’t make sense to hire somebody - even a former world champion - if you cannot be sure that his motivation is still one hundred percent. Why should you invest in somebody who leaves you guessing?

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi.../10/11337.html

All Kimi had to do was deny any further intent!
I don't see him being a victim here but I could be wrong.

Roamy
6th October 2010, 04:32
i vote option #2

maximilian
6th October 2010, 12:55
I think Kimi has egg on his face, as he probably thought Renault would bend over backwards for him to drive there, and throw loads of money his way.

Now it turns out they don't necessarily want him, and he's embarrassed in front of the world media, especially after yet another DNF in WRC.

After this, it's pretty safe to say we won't be seeing Kimi in F1 again.

CNR
7th October 2010, 11:21
http://en.espnf1.com/williams/motorsport/story/30310.html
Hulkenberg future in doubt as sponsors leave Williams

an Italian newspaper is claiming Nico Hulkenberg's (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/motorsport/driver/2790.html) race seat is in doubt as the team faces losing as many as four sponsors over the winter.
Autosprint reports sponsors, including RBS and Philips, are prepared to walk away at the same time Hulkenberg's manager Willi Weber has approached Sir Frank Williams for a pay-rise for his client.

keysersoze
7th October 2010, 13:14

I know of a certain driver on the hot-seat who prolly wouldn't mind taking his sponsors with him and learning some valuable lessons from Frank, Patrick, and Rubens.

52Paddy
7th October 2010, 13:43
I know of a certain driver on the hot-seat who prolly wouldn't mind taking his sponsors with him and learning some valuable lessons from Frank, Patrick, and Rubens.

Who?

Ranger
7th October 2010, 13:52

Not a good move by Weber.

Hulkenberg isn't beating a 38-year old Rubens at all. He has nothing to negotiate a payrise with.

maximilian
7th October 2010, 16:00
Not a good move by Weber.

Hulkenberg isn't beating a 38-year old Rubens at all. He has nothing to negotiate a payrise with.
Yeah, I too think that was the WRONG time to ask for a raise. Hülkenberg has had a couple decent races recently, but still has his work cut out to even prove he is worthy of keeping his seat, given that there are certainly other pretty good options out there for Williams.

keysersoze
7th October 2010, 16:11
Who?

Petrov

Of course, his first choice would be to stay where he is.

christophulus
8th October 2010, 17:36
Silly season looks to be turning into boring season. Force India and Toro Rosso are keeping the same drivers, so looks like no room for di Resta.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/toro-rosso-and-force-india-confirm-2011-drivers/

Also, Trulli and Kovalainen seem to be staying at Lotus:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87248

jens
8th October 2010, 18:12
Would be surprising if Hülkenberg got replaced after all the time and effort Williams has been investing in him. Now the situation depends on, how tight is their financial situation?!

Would be harsh if Hulk lost the drive, there is clearly more to come from him and based on the career in junior categories there is clearly a fair amount of untapped potential left. But wonder, what could be his alternatives. Reserve driver at Mercedes? Actually wouldn't be that hopeless of a move - hopefully similarly to di Resta would get a few test days during the season to prove that he is worth getting promoted after Schumacher's retirement.

Oh... and I can't believe Force India is going to keep Liuzzi, especially as lately there was a news item at Autosport that di Resta is almost definetely moving up to a race driver role.

DexDexter
8th October 2010, 18:26
I think Kimi has egg on his face, as he probably thought Renault would bend over backwards for him to drive there, and throw loads of money his way.

Now it turns out they don't necessarily want him, and he's embarrassed in front of the world media, especially after yet another DNF in WRC.

After this, it's pretty safe to say we won't be seeing Kimi in F1 again.

Dont' think so. He walked away from a McLaren offer, he is not going to drive for a team that's a regular point scorer at the most.

Dave B
9th October 2010, 13:19
Oh... and I can't believe Force India is going to keep Liuzzi, especially as lately there was a news item at Autosport that di Resta is almost definetely moving up to a race driver role.
Joe Saward's blog would indicate that FI are keeping their lineup; di Resta told the BBC this morning that he's hopeful of a seat.

As DC observed, 3 into 2 won't go.

ioan
9th October 2010, 14:01
I never understood why they gave the ride to Liuzzi, what has he proved in F1 up to now?!

Robinho
9th October 2010, 14:16
keeping their lineup might mean keeping the 3 drivers but utilising them differently, ie Di Resta racing and Liuzzi reserve and tester

Robinho
9th October 2010, 14:16
plus if a seat comes up at Renault or Ferrari or Wiliams or Mercedes then i think Sutil would be happy to move on

Ranger
11th October 2010, 04:19
As I see it:

*- One driver confirmed
**- Both drivers confirmed

Red Bull** - Vettel/Webber. Confirmed. No reason for change.

Ferrari** - Alonso/Massa. Despite the rumours about Felipe I don't think there will be a lineup change for next year.

McLaren** - Hamilton/Button. Confirmed. No reason for change.

Mercedes** - Rosberg/Schumacher. No reason for change, IMO.

Renault* - Kubica/(Petrov?). Renault need to think of the lost WCC money rather than the possible Russian money of Petrov, he is wasting a good midfield seat. Heidfeld would be a much better bet but I don't know what the deal with him and Kubica at the start of the year was.

Williams* - Barrichello/Hulkenberg. Williams and Weber need to get sensible and re-sign Hulk, especially if the other option is Maldonado.

Force India* - Sutil/(di Resta/Liuzzi). Can't believe FI are even considering keeping Liuzzi. :down: 47-13 down on Sutil, who couldnt put away Fisichella.

Sauber** - Kobayashi/Perez. Confirmed.

Toro Rosso** - Buemi/Alguersuari. Confirmed.

Virgin - Glock/di Grassi.

Lotus - Trulli/Kovalainen. Nearly confirmed.

Hispania - An acheivement if they even make the grid!

jens
13th October 2010, 20:01
Malllen, I haven't heard about Sutil already being confirmed at Force India. He still seems to be waiting out for either a Mercedes or Renault drive.

Wild Dog
15th October 2010, 10:57
Mallen: Your bet is quite good. But i don't think di Grassi will continue in Virgin. I have heard that Jerome d'Ambrosio is possible.

DexDexter
15th October 2010, 19:30
Mallen: Your bet is quite good. But i don't think di Grassi will continue in Virgin. I have heard that Jerome d'Ambrosio is possible.

IMO Virgin will take a paydriver along with Glock, I mean driver with talent but one that will bring money as well. Hispania will take anybody with loads of cash... :D

Josti
15th October 2010, 19:41

Giedo van der Garde is a possibility too.

Wild Dog
16th October 2010, 09:08
Yeah. Maybe Petrov if he can't get a seat in Renault?

DazzlaF1
16th October 2010, 14:08
Yeah. Maybe Petrov if he can't get a seat in Renault?

Could be likely that, Glock/Petrov at Virgin would be a decent lineup for them. And Petrov is not exactly a pay driver in the Deletraz, Inoue or Lavaggi category. di Grassi might be demoted to tester me thinks. As for Renault, lest we forget they've made an advance of 3 places compared to last season in the WCC, that means they'll be getting a lot more prize money and beneits compared to 2009.

HOW I SEE IT

RED BULL: Webber, Vettel
McLAREN: Hamilton, Button
FERRARI: Alonso, Massa
MERCEDES: Rosberg, Schumacer
RENAULT: Kubica, ??? (POSSIBLES: Petrov, Sutil)
FORCE INDIA: ???, ??? (POSSIBLES: Sutil, Liuzzi, di Resta)
WILLIAMS: Barrichello: ??? (LIKELY: Hulkenberg, POSSIBLE: Maldonado)
SAUBER: Kobayashi, Perez
TORO ROSSO: Buemi, Alguersuari
LOTUS: Kovalainen,
VIRGIN: Glock, ??? (LIKELY: d'Ambrosio, POSSIBLES: di Grassi, Petrov, Maldonado)
HISPANIA: ???, ??? (POSSIBLES: Senna, Chandhok, Yamamoto, Maldonado, Clos)

CNR
18th October 2010, 00:13
Haug backs di Resta
http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2010/10/17/Haug-backs-di-Resta-claims/gnid-79199/

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug would like Force India to give a drive to Paul di Resta next season

steveaki13
18th October 2010, 09:51
How I see the 2011 F1 line up.

Red Bull: Vettel, Webber
Ferrari: Alonso, Massa
Mclaren: Hamilton, Button
Mercedes: Rosberg, Schumacher
Renault: Kubica, Sutil
Williams: Barrichello, Hulkenberg
Force India: Di Resta, Liuzzi
Sauber: Kobayashi, Perez
Toro Rosso: Buemi, Alguersuari
Lotus: Kovalainen, Trulli
Virgin: Glock, D'Ambrosio
Hispania: Senna, Yamamoto (Not sure if they will be around)

Ranger
30th October 2010, 23:34
Senna in 'well-advanced' talks with Lotus.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=392667&FS=F1

...Really? :/

I mean, good on him but he's done nothing to earn a promotion.

Koz
30th October 2010, 23:45
Senna in 'well-advanced' talks with Lotus.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=392667&FS=F1

...Really? :/

I mean, good on him but he's done nothing to earn a promotion.

Oh, it's more to do with his name than anything else. Senna and Lotus reuniting, in nothing else but name.

Should have done it this season. There was always money in it.

But I don't know about Benna, I don't think he is as bad as the HRT has shown. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Ranger
31st October 2010, 00:12
Oh, it's more to do with his name than anything else. Senna and Lotus reuniting, in nothing else but name.

Should have done it this season. There was always money in it.

But I don't know about Benna, I don't think he is as bad as the HRT has shown. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Christian Klien, with no experience of the car, turned up in Singapore and outqualified Bruno by 1.1 seconds, smashed him in the race too.

Lotus have better choices.

Nikki Katz
31st October 2010, 01:27
I don't think that Senna's awful at all, I just think that he's not on par with either of Lotus's current drivers. He's a bit like Doornbos really - naturally talented but arrived in motorsport far too late to make any real impact.

I'd be annoyed if he got an F1 drive over someone like Hulkenberg.

Duchess
31st October 2010, 01:17
I don't think Senna's crap, but I do think Lotus have a fair bit to lose and not much to gain by brining in new (not to mention somewhat inexperienced) blood at this stage of their game. They'd be better off furthering the development of their car in collaboration with Trulli for now.

It's a romantic thought, bringing back the Lotus/Senna partnership, but that's all it is for me IMO.

Hawkmoon
31st October 2010, 02:50
Senna's been beaten by each of the three team mates he's had this season (none of whom are the reincarnation of his uncle). If that doesn't show that he has no business being in F1 then I don't know what does.

CNR
31st October 2010, 03:21
Senna's been beaten by each of the three team mates he's had this season (none of whom are the reincarnation of his uncle). If that doesn't show that he has no business being in F1 then I don't know what does.

set your mind back to 2000
Jenson Button (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2000/6.html) gets 12 point in 2000
2 points in 2001
14 points in 2002

i say put him in a race winning car and lets see what he can do

who knows he might be the next senna you know the one that lewis is supposed to be :eek:

ZEROX
31st October 2010, 03:31
Jenson Button (http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2000/6.html) gets 12 point in 2000
2 points in 2001
14 points in 2002

who knows he might be the next senna you know the one that lewis is supposed to be :eek:

Agreed !
In 2009 he almost got that Brawn F1 team seats !
IF only he got that . Only some people knows how fast he will be .

Hawkmoon
31st October 2010, 05:13
2 points in 2001
14 points in 2002

Button wasn't being beaten by the likes of Karun Chandhock, Sakon Yamamoto or Christian Klien. He was being beaten by guys who would win races. The guys kicking Senna's arse are unlikely to ever get near the podium, let alone the top step.

TheFamousEccles
31st October 2010, 11:10
Its a tough crowd, here. IMO Alguesuari has some un-tapped potential, and Buemi seems to fly under the radar a little, but being a parochial Aussie I would like to see Ricciardo get a run - he has been the best prospect to come from the wide brown land for many a year. It would be great to see him display that potential in the premier class, rather than see him come home to race V8 bloody supercars - like so many other Australian drivers with potential have done.

Don't get me wrong, the V8 series is great racing as far as (silhouette) touring cars go, but they're not open wheelers and therefore not thoroughbred racing cars. F1 is the premier class and Ricciardo is the great white hope of this large brown island IMO.

ZEROX
31st October 2010, 15:54
Its a tough crowd, here. IMO Alguesuari has some un-tapped potential, and Buemi seems to fly under the radar a little, but being a parochial Aussie I would like to see Ricciardo get a run - he has been the best prospect to come from the wide brown land for many a year. It would be great to see him display that potential in the premier class, rather than see him come home to race V8 bloody supercars - like so many other Australian drivers with potential have done.

Don't get me wrong, the V8 series is great racing as far as (silhouette) touring cars go, but they're not open wheelers and therefore not thoroughbred racing cars. F1 is the premier class and Ricciardo is the great white hope of this large brown island IMO.

From what i know, Ricciardo probably land his seats on the premier class the EASIET way that if they ditch Jaime or Buemi . OR . Buemi or Jaime goes to Red Bull to replace Webber . Which is will be late as 2012 .

And, if Torro Rosso didn't put on sale before 2011 .

Duchess
31st October 2010, 20:10
D'Ambrosio close to Virgin deal

http://en.espnf1.com/virgin/motorsport/story/32583.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I wonder if that means Lucas DiGrassi is out of the team for 2011. I highly doubt they'd be losing Glock unless it was confirmed that he's breaking his contract & going elsewhere.

jens
3rd November 2010, 14:59
Even as a Trulli fan I would understand Lotus sidelining him and hiring someone among the likes of Kobayashi or Hülkenberg, around who to try to build the future. But the likes of Petrov, Senna, Chandhok (who have all been kinda involved in rumours) etc are just not worth the effort.

wattoroos
4th November 2010, 08:59
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=393293&FS=F1Van der garde is also in the running for the seat as this report saids that he will bring double the money d'ambrosio will.