PDA

View Full Version : Perez in for Sauber on 2011

ZEROX
4th October 2010, 15:26
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87193

Seriously , they're going to ditch Heidfield for this kid ?
Was it a right move for the Sauber team ?
I'm not against it but...

Well , from my POV . If Sauber still perform badly next year . It'll destroy the kid future on F1 .

I'm not into Sauber that much but signing a rookie alongside a rookie ? That's a brave move for them .

What's your opinion on this ?

Sonic
4th October 2010, 15:34
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87193

Seriously , they're going to ditch Heidfield for this kid ?
Was it a right move for the Sauber team ?
I'm not against it but...

Well , from my POV . If Sauber still perform badly next year . It'll destroy the kid future on F1 .

I'm not into Sauber that much but signing a rookie alongside a rookie ? That's a brave move for them .

What's your opinion on this ?

Well Sauber has a history of finding decent rookies and putting them in his cars; Kimi, Massa, Kobay to name a few.

It does seem odd though to kick out PdlR for a grand total of 5 races just to kick Nick to the Kerb........although he must be getting used to it by now.

Ranger
4th October 2010, 15:35
Money talks.

Hope Nick finds a ride.

V12
4th October 2010, 15:38
Well he seems good in GP2, no guarantee of being good in F1 of course, but he deserves a shot. If it helps out a sponsorless team for funds as well then that's always a good thing (providing it isn't a Yamamoto-level driver getting the ride as a result)

UltimateDanGTR
4th October 2010, 16:04
Well, Heidfeld isn't getting any younger, and I think the next four GP's will establish how good he still is, and thus how much he would bring to the team in 2011.

Im happy Perez has got a shot at F1, I believe he has shown enough strength in GP2 and I can understand Sauber plucking for him what with the money that will inevitably come along with it. and sauber aren't exactly blessed with cash at the moment one would assume.

If sauber are a reasonable midfield contender next year like lately, then this is Perez' chance.

I wish him well but only time will tell.......

(as a side note, good to see a north american driver back in F1)

ratonmacias
4th October 2010, 16:35
well done Sergio. as for sauber well this doesnt bode well a rookie and a 2nd year driver. the problem both are paydrivers. this means sauber are on survival mode.

pino
4th October 2010, 16:38
Great news, it looks like this kid has a great talent.

gloomyDAY
4th October 2010, 16:39
Slim's money put to good use.

Viva Mexico!

Dr. Krogshöj
4th October 2010, 16:39
well done Sergio. as for sauber well this doesnt bode well a rookie and a 2nd year driver. the problem both are paydrivers. this means sauber are on survival mode.

Kobayashi is a pay driver? That is new to me. Which sponsor does he bring? Just because he's Japanese it doesn't mean he is a pay driver. Perez will technically be a pay driver but it is hardly a problem. He's the runner-up in GP2, not a Yamamoto or a Duno. I see it as positive news. Sauber is bringing a fresh talent into F1 and takes a step towards securing its financial situation.

steveaki13
4th October 2010, 17:39
Kobayashi is a pay driver? That is new to me. Which sponsor does he bring? Just because he's Japanese it doesn't mean he is a pay driver. Perez will technically be a pay driver but it is hardly a problem. He's the runner-up in GP2, not a Yamamoto or a Duno. I see it as positive news. Sauber is bringing a fresh talent into F1 and takes a step towards securing its financial situation.

:up:

Robinho
4th October 2010, 17:48
how is Koby a rookie, he'll be in his 3rd season next year

christophulus
4th October 2010, 17:50
Money talks, but thankfully Perez looks a lot better than the other pay drivers in F1 over the years. And hopefully Sauber's future is secure, so good news. :up:

truefan72
4th October 2010, 17:59
Money talks, but thankfully Perez looks a lot better than the other pay drivers in F1 over the years. And hopefully Sauber's future is secure, so good news. :up:

yep

what is interesting to me is how it changes the kimi return dynamic as one real decent seat is now gone in the available musical chairs.

I think the trulli seat will open up next year, as will the liuzzi seat.
Silly season now becoming not so silly with the first salvo fired

DazzlaF1
4th October 2010, 19:13
Well Sauber has a history of finding decent rookies and putting them in his cars; Kimi, Massa, Kobay to name a few.

It does seem odd though to kick out PdlR for a grand total of 5 races just to kick Nick to the Kerb........although he must be getting used to it by now.

You forgot Frentzen, but I think Kimi was his jewel in the crown, giving him a race seat after ONE season of UK Formula Renault, what a gamble that was.

maximilian
4th October 2010, 19:18
Perez has probably done enough in GP2 to rectify his appearance in F1, although I don't think he would be the most deserving driver by far. Pretty shoddy bunch that GP2 class this year, so I think it was more a lack of depth of field that gave him 2nd place in the GP2 champs. Not a fan of Maldonado at all, either. Money talks, and obviously Telmex wants a Mexican in the seat. The good news is, they actually have a halfway decent one in the pipeline.

The other good news may be that this now frees up Nick Heidfeld to do what he should have done in the first place... replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.

Koz
4th October 2010, 19:24
You forgot Frentzen, but I think Kimi was his jewel in the crown, giving him a race seat after ONE season of UK Formula Renault, what a gamble that was.

Add to the list Kubica.

jens
4th October 2010, 20:47
The news that have been waited for for half a year already, have finally arrived. :) In any case I'm waiting for the debut of Sergio Pérez with positive feelings. Unlike various other youngsters, he has been making his way up through the feeder ranks silently and basically without any hype. Despite that he has managed to improve each year and in 2010 in GP2 has already been showing such level, which warrants a shot in F1. But in any case it looks like Mexico could have a bright future in motorsports as I reckon the next up-and-comer Gutiérrez could well be even better than Pérez.

The most critical aspect about Sauber's 2011 drivers is that they have got a massively inexperienced driver line-up (Kobayashi + Pérez + Gutiérrez). I wonder, how much of a hindrance is it going to be at race weekends in setting up the car, improving as a driver by learning from an experienced partner, etc. But on a more positive note it can be recalled that in 2001 Sauber also had a rather "green" pairing, which caused a lot of questions, but despite that the team managed to perform very well.

Perez has probably done enough in GP2 to rectify his appearance in F1, although I don't think he would be the most deserving driver by far. Pretty shoddy bunch that GP2 class this year, so I think it was more a lack of depth of field that gave him 2nd place in the GP2 champs. Not a fan of Maldonado at all, either. Money talks, and obviously Telmex wants a Mexican in the seat. The good news is, they actually have a halfway decent one in the pipeline.

I don't think the GP2 field should be downplayed in such manner. Some say about each GP2 year that the field is weak. :dozey: Just because the drivers are still young, inexperienced and haven't reached the greatness of the world of motorsport yet, doesn't mean they are poor future prospects. And I wouldn't be so negative about Maldonado - IMO he is an improved version of Petrov. Has spent a few years in GP2 and managed to improve notably throughout years, although admittedly I wouldn't expect him to be a future F1 WDC contender. His main minus was the collapse at the end of 2009 in ART, otherwise he has been doing well.

maximilian
4th October 2010, 21:09
I don't think the GP2 field should be downplayed in such manner. Some say about each GP2 year that the field is weak. :dozey: Just because the drivers are still young, inexperienced and haven't reached the greatness of the world of motorsport yet, doesn't mean they are poor future prospects. And I wouldn't be so negative about Maldonado - IMO he is an improved version of Petrov. Has spent a few years in GP2 and managed to improve notably throughout years, although admittedly I wouldn't expect him to be a future F1 WDC contender. His main minus was the collapse at the end of 2009 in ART, otherwise he has been doing well.
It's just that when you look at who has come to F1 and made a real impact, it's the drivers who stormed up the ladder and pretty much were winners right away in each new series they entered on the way. I don't find it impressive when someone is in a series for 4 years, and with their vast experience and a top car (thanks to their sponsors) finally manages to win the championship (or in Petrov's case, finish 2nd), while a bunch of greater talents have surpassed them on the way, and the field has thinned out in GP2.

Roamy
4th October 2010, 21:14
Kinda the way I see it is that Nick's only change to remain in F1 will be with JVRacing is Bernie and the toad get their heads out of their "Armpits" (Pino made me say it)

jens
4th October 2010, 21:27
It's just that when you look at who has come to F1 and made a real impact, it's the drivers who stormed up the ladder and pretty much were winners right away in each new series they entered on the way. I don't find it impressive when someone is in a series for 4 years, and with their vast experience and a top car (thanks to their sponsors) finally manages to win the championship (or in Petrov's case, finish 2nd), while a bunch of greater talents have surpassed them on the way, and the field has thinned out in GP2.

Well yeah, we may not have a Hamilton in every GP2 season, but I don't think it makes the field automatically weak. I like to evaluate the depth of the field on a wider scale than just spotting the existence of one superb driver. And what is worth noting that in 2010 we had more rookies than we usually have had, so in a way it was obvious that their inexperience was showing and especially Maldonado managed to profit on it, but I don't think the ultimate potential of those rookies is so poor.

If we look at your proposed way, then in the case of a rookie driver trashing the rest of the field in Hamilton/Hülkenberg style, we may also easily argue that the GP2 field was weak as no-one was capable of stopping the rookie. So what is a weak field? Hamilton may have been able to beat all those drivers he did back in 2006, but maybe he wouldn't have been able to dispatch an equivalent of Maldonado on top of his game with 3 years of experience so easily?

maximilian
4th October 2010, 23:21
What I was really getting at is that it's unlikely that someone like Petrov or Maldonado would really make a big impact in F1, and that it's the Hamilton and Hülkenberg-type storms thru GP2 that show the real talent, not the hangers-on who eventually win a Pantano-type championship. There may well be some good talent in GP2 (Bianchi comes to mind), but generally if they don't win or at least challenge for the title by their 2nd season in GP2 they have somewhat missed the talent boat :)

Of course, surprises are always possible, a la Kobayashi... ;)

CNR
4th October 2010, 23:45
http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/9/11206.html

Q: There have been rumours about an alliance between the team and Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu, who has been looking for a way into Formula One racing for some time. Is there any truth in the rumours?
PS: I could say that we don’t comment on rumours. That could be one possible answer. But how do rumours start? (Mexican GP3 driver) Esteban Gutierrez was already contracted to the BMW Sauber F1 team. We had him drive the car for one day last year at the young drivers test day, as this was contractually agreed and he did impress us. This was the reason why we took him. Gutierrez is contracted to us now and he has very close contacts to Mexico and especially to Carlos Slim. This is the reason why you will find Carlos Slim a bit more often in our hospitality than at those of other teams, but it is also no secret that Carlos Slim is a much-welcomed guest at all the other teams as well.

Sleeper
5th October 2010, 01:11
The news that have been waited for for half a year already, have finally arrived. :) In any case I'm waiting for the debut of Sergio Pérez with positive feelings. Unlike various other youngsters, he has been making his way up through the feeder ranks silently and basically without any hype. Despite that he has managed to improve each year and in 2010 in GP2 has already been showing such level, which warrants a shot in F1. But in any case it looks like Mexico could have a bright future in motorsports as I reckon the next up-and-comer Gutiérrez could well be even better than Pérez.

The most critical aspect about Sauber's 2011 drivers is that they have got a massively inexperienced driver line-up (Kobayashi + Pérez + Gutiérrez). I wonder, how much of a hindrance is it going to be at race weekends in setting up the car, improving as a driver by learning from an experienced partner, etc. But on a more positive note it can be recalled that in 2001 Sauber also had a rather "green" pairing, which caused a lot of questions, but despite that the team managed to perform very well.

I agree with you about Perez, top rookie and probably would have challenged Maldonado better if it wasn't for a run of really poor pitstops from the Addax team. Can't agree on Maldonado though, 4 years in top teams in GP2 and the only year he looks like a contender is the one where most of his opponents are rookies, I doubt he's good enough for F1. Not sure about Gutierrez though, winning GP3 doesn't mean much as the field doesn't look that strong.

This years GP2 field was decent, but quite erratic so its hard to tell just how good some of them are. I still expect to see Turvey and Bianchi make it to F1 in a few years though.

Placid
6th October 2010, 01:35
Mexico is my adoptive country. And I am very proud looking at Sergio to compete vs the elite. Since Sauber has Ferrari power, I hope he can fight for a Ferrari seat in the future. If Slim gets more involved with Perez and Gutierrez, there will be a chance to keep Slim as a principal. We hope they can get Alexander Rossi in a near future.

A Mexican venue would be sweet. But after what is going on, it might be unlikely.

Y SI SE PUDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Placid
6th October 2010, 19:33
Mexico is my adoptive country. And I am very proud looking at Sergio to compete vs the elite. Since Sauber has Ferrari power, I hope he can fight for a Ferrari seat in the future. If Slim gets more involved with Perez and Gutierrez, there will be a chance to keep Slim as a principal. We hope they can get Alexander Rossi in a near future.

A Mexican venue would be sweet. But after what is going on, it might be unlikely.

Y SI SE PUDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, Slim has not interest on being a partner for a team. He will focus on their drivers and funding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ioan
8th October 2010, 15:01

:rolleyes: :down:

ioan
8th October 2010, 15:03
Add to the list Kubica.

Kubica was BMW driver and was not hired by Sauber.