PDA

View Full Version : JUSTICE? Slam is on Stepney to do 20 months in jail for stealing

markabilly
30th September 2010, 03:53
Nigel Stepney, the former Ferrari engineer at the centre of the 2007 spying scandal, has been sentenced to 20 months......so 1.5 years. Was justice served? How many years for the others that benefitted or "co-conspired"?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87071

Tazio
30th September 2010, 03:56
How many years for the others that benefitted or "co-conspired"?

20 minutes in the same room as Ron Dennis. :dozey:

gloomyDAY
30th September 2010, 04:18
20 minutes in the same room as Ron Dennis. :dozey: Seriously.

Valve Bounce
30th September 2010, 06:41
Nigel Stepney, the former Ferrari engineer at the centre of the 2007 spying scandal, has been sentenced to 20 months......so 1.5 years. Was justice served? How many years for the others that benefitted or "co-conspired"?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87071

..........................but under the Italian legal system it is thought highly unlikely that he will serve the sentence.

F1boat
30th September 2010, 07:07
The sentence should have been a lonely night with the Mad Max.

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2010, 08:23
Why did Stepney plot to sabotage Ferrari's cars :confused:

Was he simply just a disgruntled employee passed over for promotion out to damage his employer :confused:

I am evil Homer
30th September 2010, 09:19
Yep TBH this investigation stinks. Sure he passed information but how much etc no one will ever know.

V12
30th September 2010, 11:11
Jail? For cheating in a sport?

OK I know that something such as this transcends the sport as a whole, but I'm generally of the opinion that while as long as murderers and rapists are often let out early due to the "overcrowded prisons" excuse, non-violent criminals should be punished and deterred in other ways, be it financial, bans from certain positions, etc, to free up cells for those who actually pose a threat to society.

K-Pu
30th September 2010, 12:56
Jail? For cheating in a sport?

OK I know that something such as this transcends the sport as a whole, but I'm generally of the opinion that while as long as murderers and rapists are often let out early due to the "overcrowded prisons" excuse, non-violent criminals should be punished and deterred in other ways, be it financial, bans from certain positions, etc, to free up cells for those who actually pose a threat to society.

The problem is that it is not only cheating in a sport, it is a matter of business. Itīs been said a million times, but when there is so much money at stake, the sport is a secondary worry. If Stepney had cheated in something cheaper (a lacrosse match, hamburger-eating contest), nothing would happen, but messing with people with full pockets has its consequences.

Apart from that, law is quite nonsen... er, complex. I donīt understand (and I never will) how can a murderer get a much shorter sentence than a thief, and I wonīt never accept that some people can buy they way out of jail. And I also think there should be harsher means of dealing with corruption and massive theft from the political class, not neccesarily including jail but with proportional fines and so on... So law has nothing to do with justice. And as far as law is concerned, if you have no criminal record and receive a sentence like this, you can relax because you wonīt go to jail (pretty much the same as here in Spain). Anyway, if you are caught again, then you do go to jail (or you should).

And for the rest of the people involved... Well, thereīs always someone who getīs caught and someone who gets away free from charge. And maybe if they dig a bit, weīd realize a lot of people should be in a Stepney-like situation, since I canīt imagine he is the only one who has done it.

Bagwan
30th September 2010, 13:03
This was a plea bargain .

One would assume that he would have gotten a much harder sentence , had he kept protesting his innocence .
I wish he had .

It is in the realm of the worm , to sabotage one's employer whilst picking up a paycheque every two weeks .
How long might this have gone on , if the copy shop wasn't involved ?

What I really want to know , is what that white powder was .

SGWilko
30th September 2010, 13:11
What I really want to know , is what that white powder was .

Leftovers from a rather tasty packet of Turkish Delight?

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2010, 13:51
How long might this have gone on , if the copy shop wasn't involved ?
Stepney's attempted sabotage took place before the 2007 Monaco GP, which was a month before the now infamous copy shop incident. Both incidents occured long after Stepney had made clear he was unhappy (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56539) at Ferrari.

What has never been explained is why Stepney became so disillusioned with Ferrari, and why he would resort to sabotage as a result. He'd been invited to join Ferrari by John Barnard in the early 90's, having previously been with Broadspeed, Shadow, Lotus and Benetton and from what I can see was a repected engineer within motorsport during that time, so why?

Jean Todt said (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19721.html) "he lost his head, that's all". Perhaps he did.

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2010, 13:54
Leftovers from a rather tasty packet of Turkish Delight?
What about those travel sweets...

http://www.smithkendon.com/images/product.mixedfruit.125.jpg

...the blummin' white powder on those got everywhere :p

Bagwan
30th September 2010, 14:15
Stepney's attempted sabotage took place before the 2007 Monaco GP, which was a month before the now infamous copy shop incident. Both incidents occured long after Stepney had made clear he was unhappy (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56539) at Ferrari.

What has never been explained is why Stepney became so disillusioned with Ferrari, and why he would resort to sabotage as a result. He'd been invited to join Ferrari by John Barnard in the early 90's, having previously been with Broadspeed, Shadow, Lotus and Benetton and from what I can see was a repected engineer within motorsport during that time, so why?

Jean Todt said (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19721.html) "he lost his head, that's all". Perhaps he did.

Yes , unhappy with Ferrari , but happy to collect the pay .
Using his time to both sabotage and collude with a rival team , but happy to collect the pay .

I wonder whether he was hoping for a position at that rival team .

Or , was it just money that sent him over the ethical edge ?

SGWilko
30th September 2010, 14:17
What about those travel sweets...

http://www.smithkendon.com/images/product.mixedfruit.125.jpg

...the blummin' white powder on those got everywhere :p

And the sweets rattle in the tin and drive you mad.....

........wait a cotton pickin minute........

.....you don't suppose Stepney succumbed to......

.....the curse of the Smith Kendon Tin rattle?

Oh my goodness, where's Columbo when you need him????

SGWilko
30th September 2010, 14:18

Eeerrrrrrmmmmmmmmm, let me think............

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2010, 14:40
What money? Whose money? Ferrari's, Honda's... :confused:

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2010, 14:55
.....you don't suppose Stepney succumbed to......

.....the curse of the Smith Kendon Tin rattle?
By George, you might be onto something there :p

SGWilko
30th September 2010, 14:58
By George, you might be onto something there :p

Even Sarah Beeny hasn't got a cure for that ailment....... ;( :laugh:

Sleeper
1st October 2010, 01:14

As I remember reading it, when the "dream team" of Schuey, Brawn, Todt, Byrne, Martinelli and Badoer stepped down and being replaced, Stepney aimed for promotion to one of the top technical jobs but was shunted sideways in favoure of the HR boss with no technical knowledge, thus seriously pissing him off. Why he resorted to industriel espienage after that I havnt a clue.

ShiftingGears
1st October 2010, 01:52
As I remember reading it, when the "dream team" of Schuey, Brawn, Todt, Byrne, Martinelli and Badoer stepped down and being replaced, Stepney aimed for promotion to one of the top technical jobs but was shunted sideways in favoure of the HR boss with no technical knowledge, thus seriously pissing him off. Why he resorted to industriel espienage after that I havnt a clue.

Was this HR boss, perchance, Italian?

Tazio
1st October 2010, 11:49
Was this HR boss, perchance, Italian?

I'm not sure about the replacement, but your question
:s ailor: CAME FROM URANUS
:rotflmao:

SGWilko
1st October 2010, 11:51
I'm going to take a wild guess and say his replacement came from the same place as your words
:s ailor: URANUS

The previous posters observational question was perfectly valid Tazio.

Given the apparent focus on a more 'Italian' orientated workforce, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the reason for Stepney's nose being put out of joint was due to this sideswipe......

Tazio
1st October 2010, 12:01
It was the intonation of his phrase that I commented on.
Perchance, why not ask for this under-qualified promotees name?
The whole "Italian" oriented team is overdone.
Ferrari continue to have a multi-national team.
Regardless of a dumb-ass comment that mental case Luca d made.

Tazio
1st October 2010, 12:31
The reality is that Stepney was not qualified emotionally or philosophically.
As we have witnessed teams stretching the rules have been rewarded. Brawn, and Red Bull come to mind.
Then you had Stepney having to be told more than once to leave the FIA out of Ferrari innovations while he was still in good stead with the team
Someone with this attitude is not someone you want to promote.
He got what he deserved, He couldn't bring himself to go along with the floor design but had the scruples to steal all IT he possibly could and turn it over to his main rival while being paid by Ferrari.
What a crumb-bum :down:
To say he had some justification because he was discriminated against is the opinion of someone who is bias or ignorant, and should get the facts first before making inflammatory ethnic comments framed in the form of a wise crack!.( Err question)

SGWilko
1st October 2010, 14:01
The reality is that Stepney was not qualified emotionally or philosophically.

I don't but it.

I think he was put under extreme pressure, and possibly blackmail.

He was, a very well respected member of the F1 fraternity.

By continuing to act in a law abiding manner, but being stopped appears to have had a most profound effect on NS.

ArrowsFA1
1st October 2010, 14:16
...He couldn't bring himself to go along with the floor design...
Perhaps because, in his opinion, it was illegal and as a loyal Ferrari man he wanted to avoid the team being penalised, or forced into having to redesign the floor. His colleagues thought differently.

Hardly a reason to "lose his head" or leave white powder on a Monaco garage floor is it?

ShiftingGears
1st October 2010, 14:48
I'm not sure about the replacement, but your question
:s ailor: CAME FROM URANUS

Very funny. How old are you?