PDA

View Full Version : Cafes Do Brasil Indy 300

Anubis
24th September 2010, 22:02
Ok, so we're still a week out, but the Motegi thread was posted a week before the race, so I figured I could justify it. Plus it's the title decider and we need time to argue, um, discuss things.

Credit to DanicaFan for the format. I feel a tiny bit mean borrowing it, but it's meant in a good natured way (see footnote) and I'm assuming he'll be too preoccupied with Dover most of the weekend anyway, so figured I'd fill in for him and get the ball rolling.

So, season finale time. Faites vos jeux...

Race 17 of 17

Race - Cafes Do Brasil Indy 300

Location - Homestead-Miami Speedway

Date - Saturday, October 2nd

Time & TV Schedule - 6:00 PM Eastern - Green Flag 7:00 PM -Versus
Course Type - 1.5 Mile Oval

Distance - 200 Laps / 300 Miles

Practice Sessions - Friday, Oct 1st -1:30PM-2:30PM & 7:30PM -8:15PM Eastern

Qualifications - Friday, Oct 1st - 4:45PM - 6:00PM Eastern

2009 Pole Sitter - Scott Dixon - 210.073

2009 Winner - Dario Franchitti

Track layout :-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Homestead-Miami_Speedway_track_map--Speedway.svg/500px-Homestead-Miami_Speedway_track_map--Speedway.svg.png

2009 Race Summary

Total Laps - 200 / Green Flag Laps - 200 / Caution Laps - 0
Race Length - 1:28:28
Average Speed - 201.420 mph
Best Lap - 210.073mph - #9 Scott Dixon -Lap 105
Most Improved - #27 Hideki Mutoh - 13 positions - started 19th - finished 6th

Can't find an official entry list at the moment, although Ana Beatriz has been confirmed at D&R (http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/39862-beatriz-returns-for-season-finale/)

Here's an assumed entry list. Corrections welcomed if you know of any.

#2 Raphael Matos / HP DeFerran Dragon / DeFerran Dragon Racing
#3 Helio Castroneves / Team Penske / Team Penske
#4 Dan Wheldon / National Guard Panther Racing / Panther Racing
#5 Takuma Sato / Lotus-KV Racing Technolgy / KV Racing Technology
#6 Ryan Briscoe / Team Penske / Team Penske
#7 Danica Patrick / Team GoDaddy.com / Andretti Autosport
#8 EJ Viso / PDVSA -KVRT Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#9 Scott Dixon / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#10 Dario Franchitti / Target Chip Ganassi Racing / Target Chip Ganassi Racing
#11 Tony Kanaan / Team 7-Eleven / Andretti Autosport
#12 Will Power / Verizon Team Penske / Verizon Team Penske
#14 Vitor Meira / ABC Supply Co.-AJ Foyt Racing / AJ Foyt Enterprises
#18 Milka Duno / CITGO / Dale Coyne Racing
#19 Alex Lloyd / Boy Scouts of America / Dale Coyne Racing
#20 Ed Carpenter / Panther-Vision-Fuzzy's Vodka / Panther Racing
#22 Justin Wilson / Z-Line Designs-DRR / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#24 Ana Beatriz / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
#26 Marco Andretti / Team Venom Energy / Andretti Autosport
#32 Mario Moraes / KV Racing Technology / KV Racing Technology
#34 Bertrand Baguette / RACB Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#36 Tomas Scheckter? / CWE -Conquest Racing / Conquest Racing
#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / Team IZOD / Andretti Autosport
#77 Alex Tagliani / FAZZT Race Team / FAZZT Race Team
#78 Simona De Silvestro / Team Stargate Worlds HVM / HVM Racing
#02 Graham Rahal / NHR - Quick Trim / Newman Haas Racing
#06 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream-Panasonic / Newman Haas Racing

Predictions? Will Sato finish TWO races in a row? Will Carpenter finally win one? Will Helio crawl round and win on fuel mileage again just to annoy anthonyvop? Will we have a huge argument about crowd numbers? What will you know who do? How will we all cope during the off season?

Footnote :-
If DF gets a bit upset that I've nicked "his" thread, it's all meant in jest, I promise. I'm declaring a moratorium on being mean to him personally, as it doesn't actually achieve anything and he's probably a nice guy in reality, even if I can't comprehend his level of enthusiasm.

beachbum
24th September 2010, 23:26
Footnote :-
If DF gets a bit upset that I've nicked "his" thread, it's all meant in jest, I promise. I'm declaring a moratorium on being mean to him personally, as it doesn't actually achieve anything and he's probably a nice guy in reality, even if I can't comprehend his level of enthusiasm.Thanks Hornet, but don't worry about DF. He is off at another forum doing his usual stuff.

SoCalPVguy
25th September 2010, 01:16
Ok, so we're still a week out, but the Motegi thread was posted a week before the race, so I figured I could justify it. Plus it's the title decider and we need time to argue, um, discuss things.

Credit to DanicaFan for the format. I feel a tiny bit mean borrowing it, but it's meant in a good natured way (see footnote) and I'm assuming he'll be too preoccupied with Dover most of the weekend anyway, so figured I'd fill in for him and get the ball rolling....

You forgot to add your prediction so I'll "help" you ...

Hornet picks danica to get pole, win the race by 18 laps and be elected President.

You're welcome.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th September 2010, 09:18
I think Sarah Fisher Racing will be back.

GRW1983
25th September 2010, 09:36
I believe that the entry list will be the same 25 cars as Motegi, with Ana Beatriz replacing Paul Tracy in the #24 D&R car, and Tomas Scheckter replacing Roger Yasakawa in the #36 Conquest car. Plus, Sarah Fisher in the #67 will be back, as well as Ed Carpenter in the 2nd Panther car. So, by my reckoning, the entry list will be 27 for the season finale.

PS. Mike Conway will be at Homestead, but has decided to make sure he is 100% fit before he makes a return to the cockpit. He could have raced in Miami, but felt it wasn't worth the risk for one race. He'll be back next season and plans to be in IndyCar for many years to come.

Anubis
25th September 2010, 18:50
Prediction wise, it would be nice to see Carpenter win one, as his previous outings have certainly shown promise, but I guess it'll be the usual suspects up front. Dario has to go for it and Power can't really afford not to stick with him, so they're either going to dominate or crash into each other! From the Danica perspective, her stats here are mixed. Qualifies reasonably well with an average of 7.75, but has always fallen back to a lower finish, with an average of 13.5, which suggests she can't really race at this track. I shall leave that one teed up...

Personally, I'll cheering for (and then doubtless shouting at) Sato, as well as Carpenter and Baguette. Toss up between Wheldon and Wilson from the English standpoint, which I think Wilson shades by being such a class act. Wheldon just puts my teeth on edge for some reason.

Easy Drifter
26th September 2010, 00:38
With the latest news it doubtful Simona will have a car there as HVM have apparently lost their shop. Thanks for the info Tony.
It would be a super guesture if Sarah would put Simona in her other car if HVM do not appear. Sarah is such a super person she just might do it.

beachgirl
26th September 2010, 01:33
With the latest news it doubtful Simona will have a car there as HVM have apparently lost their shop. Thanks for the info Tony.
It would be a super guesture if Sarah would put Simona in her other car if HVM do not appear. Sarah is such a super person she just might do it.

Maybe if we start contacting SFR now?

Easy Drifter
27th September 2010, 01:19
Speed is reporting Simona will be in the Dreyer and Rienbold #24.
Only on the scroll on the bottom of the Speed Report.
Might be more on Wind Tunnel.
Don't know where that leaves Ana.

Easy Drifter
27th September 2010, 02:46
My bad. I need to get new glasses. The announcement was about Ana not Simona

Mark in Oshawa
28th September 2010, 15:05
Thank God Simona has a ride...shame about HVM....

Steve-o
30th September 2010, 04:18
Transcript of today's presser with Hull, Franchitti, Cindric, and Power.

http://www.fanviewpoint.com/2010/09/indycar-championship-contenders-hold.html

couple of older images too.

anthonyvop
30th September 2010, 16:32
HVM is here at Homestead with a single plain hauler.
Supper Hot and muggy today. Parking lots are lakes from all the rain the past few days.
Speaking of Hot. chatted with Milka. Same bubbly self.
The Vintage Racers from HSR are here running this weekend as well. Some incredible cars including 2 Audi R-8s. I wonder if this is the first time that Audi prototypes are racing at 2 tracks on the same weekend.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th September 2010, 21:05
Sometimes the internet is more of a curse than a blessing. Twelwe years ago, the HVM shop-closing non-story would have remained that, a non-story. I'm curious though why the sponsor dissappeared from the sidepod at Motegi. Anyway, go Will Power, Dario won enough trophies already. ;)

anthonyvop
30th September 2010, 22:02
Wayne Taylor was walking about the Paddock talking to IndyLites people

FormerFF
1st October 2010, 03:22
Let me know how the race goes. As always, I can't record Versus because of my old DVR, and I'll be at the Petit Le Mans so I won't be able to watch it live.

TURN3
1st October 2010, 19:15
I'm confused, no KV cars into a wall yet?

beachgirl
1st October 2010, 19:34
I'm confused, no KV cars into a wall yet?

Dallara's going into shock. :)

TURN3
1st October 2010, 19:39
Dallara's going into shock. :)

Their stock is falling and they've started layoffs.

Easy Drifter
1st October 2010, 19:43
Assuming TSN does not make a last minute switch and put it on TSN2 I will actually get to see a race for the first time since Edmonton.
If KV doesn't get their crashes together Dallara may go bankrupt!!!!!!! :eek:

anthonyvop
1st October 2010, 19:58
I have a pretty interesting interview with Chip Ganassi. Will stream it this evening at around 7 est.

maximilian
1st October 2010, 20:43
How come Milka is so un-far behind this time in practice? What happened? :D

TURN3
1st October 2010, 22:43
And the championship gets just a little bit closer! Going to be quite a few laps before any Penske can get close enough to keep Dario from leading laps. I think he'll get those points also...meaning Will is going to have to finish 2nd or hope handling goes off on Dario's car (UNLIKELY). Going to be close.

Easy Drifter
2nd October 2010, 00:14
Milk and Donuts usually is not that far off in practice and qualifying on an oval. Once the race starts it is a different story.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd October 2010, 03:43
And the championship gets just a little bit closer! Going to be quite a few laps before any Penske can get close enough to keep Dario from leading laps. I think he'll get those points also...meaning Will is going to have to finish 2nd or hope handling goes off on Dario's car (UNLIKELY). Going to be close.
Power qualified what, 3rd? He can get to Dario's rear wing and stay there, nothing Dario can do will erase the lead then...

anthonyvop
2nd October 2010, 04:26
Power qualified what, 3rd? He can get to Dario's rear wing and stay there, nothing Dario can do will erase the lead then...

Talked to power right after his qualifying run right when he found out the Dario beat his time. I never had seen him so negative. I think the pressure is getting to him.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd October 2010, 04:42
Talked to power right after his qualifying run right when he found out the Dario beat his time. I never had seen him so negative. I think the pressure is getting to him.
I don't know how I would take that Tony. I do think you do have a point and the pressure is on Will, but if you were to have anyone giving you a pep talk in racing, could you not pick anyone BUT Roger Penske?

Roger will get him in a room with Cindric and they will get his head on straight....not that it is far off.

I think he just wants to win this going away, and not have to chase Dario all day hoping to not lose more than that 12 points....and he lost the pole to him so that makes the collar a little tighter. He has to be concerned, but I have my doubts on him being too far down.

TURN3
2nd October 2010, 05:32

I don't see Dixon being very easy for Will to get around. Looks to me like it'll be Dixon protecting Dario and before Will, Ryan, or Helio can get to Dario it'll be after the first round of stops at best...what 45 to 50 laps in?

I also don't think Will is going to force the issue. I'd be surprised not to see him drop in and let Briscoe run the 2 Target cars to the limits, forcing whatever issue he can.

I haven't ran the numbers and surprised nobody else has...but if Dario finishes 1st and leads most laps, Will finishing 2nd won't be enough will it?

TURN3
2nd October 2010, 05:33
Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement from Graham this weekend? Whats going on with that?

MDS
2nd October 2010, 20:48
Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement from Graham this weekend? Whats going on with that?

You mean this big announcement?

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/39980-rahal-gets-2011-full-time-ride-team-tba/

TURN3
2nd October 2010, 21:01
You mean this big announcement?

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/39980-rahal-gets-2011-full-time-ride-team-tba/

Yep, that must be the one. I thought they might have announced this yesterday. Sounds like a good deal to me, hoping the team is Ganassi for his sake.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd October 2010, 23:43
It's 1 a.m. here in Europe. I wish there weren't any Saturday night races. But hey, it's the finale.

TURN3
2nd October 2010, 23:45
Anybody think Indycar stacked the deck again this year for a Will and Dario 2 car shootout? I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to pull that 2 years in a row. We'll know if those 2 are lapping their teammates...then again there are 3 KV cars so yellows might keep more cars on the lead lap.

Anubis
2nd October 2010, 23:58
Jesus, how small a crowd is that?!

maxmach
3rd October 2010, 00:02
Saw Power after qualifying yesterday, looked nervous, saw him today after the interviews, still looks nervous. I mean Will should be nervous, but I don't remember Him being this way at past races.
Should be interesting.

maxmach
3rd October 2010, 00:09
I hope it's not just me and 5 other people watching, here we go

Nikki Katz
3rd October 2010, 00:21
Just got in, anything much happened yet? Thought I'd better at least try to watch the final race, missed the last couple.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd October 2010, 00:23
Anybody think Indycar stacked the deck again this year for a Will and Dario 2 car shootout? I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to pull that 2 years in a row. We'll know if those 2 are lapping their teammates...then again there are 3 KV cars so yellows might keep more cars on the lead lap.

Uh, how was it IndyCar's fault that no one crashed last year?

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 00:23
I could give a rats ass about the crowd. They aren't going back to Miami for a reason and there is a race going on for me to watch!

Dario has had his wingman broken off but has 50 in the bank. Probably doesn't matter though, looks like he has will covered tonight.

Nikki Katz
3rd October 2010, 00:28
If this was F1 then Briscoe woud've been asked to drive into Franchitti a long time ago...

maxmach
3rd October 2010, 00:28
Exciting first 50 laps, those sparks are wild, damn, Anna just hit the wall....

gm99
3rd October 2010, 01:06
And Penske lose another championship...

Anubis
3rd October 2010, 01:08
Harsh way to lose it. Looks like he just washed up behind another car? To finish first etc etc

maxmach
3rd October 2010, 01:11
quick question, if the yellow came out for will, and he's in the pits, why is the yellow still out?

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 01:14
Uh, how was it IndyCar's fault that no one crashed last year?

Uhhh, are you a doctor or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? If you follow anything at all you'd correlate my comments to the crashing having to do with KV. Indycar stacked the deck for the top 3 to shootout last year. Think my friend, think.

beachgirl
3rd October 2010, 01:18
Well, they have extended this yellow for NO purpose other than to hand this race to Helio, Danica, Vitor, or Tony. If Danica wins this race because of this no-reason yellow, it will be adios to Indycar for me.

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 01:18
Harsh way to lose it. Looks like he just washed up behind another car? To finish first etc etc

Yeah, too bad. Great season though. I'm not buying into the theory that'll be talked about "Will didn't have oval experience"...blah blah blah. Tonight may be on Will but, looking back on the season, Will's crew hosed him out of high finishes at 3 oval events (Indy:fuel hose, Texas or Kansas: pit stop, Chicago: fuel). Win as a team lose as a team but Will performed on the ovals just fine.

Congrats Dario.

quick question, if the yellow came out for will, and he's in the pits, why is the yellow still out?

Yeah, probably shouldn't even been a yellow on that one.

Anubis
3rd October 2010, 01:36
Dario not exactly storming to the title at the moment, which probably makes it all the more annoying for Power. Wonder if we're going to see a twist yet?

ETA - so as it stands, Dario will win thanks to pole and leading the most laps?

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 01:49
Pretty good action for the season finale.

I'm the harshest Danica critic but I'll give her just due. You have to race like that more than 2x per year to be considered legit...Ed Carpenter has one of those also. But good run for her tonight...and looks like AA closed the gap back up to the Big 2 on those 1 1/2's.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd October 2010, 01:52
Uhhh, are you a doctor or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? If you follow anything at all you'd correlate my comments to the crashing having to do with KV. Indycar stacked the deck for the top 3 to shootout last year. Think my friend, think.

Sorry if I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying that IndyCar stacked the deck for the top 3 to shootout last year by not throwing a bogus yellow flag and that having a yellow-free race would be difficult this year because of KV Crashing Technology.

Anyway, it was a great race. I haven't enjoyed an oval race this much for a long time. It was good because passing wasn't free, they had to fight for a pass real hard. I was pulling for Will, but Ganassi deserved the win and title. I don't get why Andretti pitted for fuel, he wasn't in contention for anything, might as well gambled for a win.

anthonyvop
3rd October 2010, 02:01
We have the ICS ROY News conference streaming live. Soon Will Power, Dixon and Dario among others.

Anubis
3rd October 2010, 02:07
Pretty good action for the season finale.

I'm the harshest Danica critic but I'll give her just due. You have to race like that more than 2x per year to be considered legit...Ed Carpenter has one of those also. But good run for her tonight...and looks like AA closed the gap back up to the Big 2 on those 1 1/2's.

Really thought that battle was going to end in tears at one stage, as there's obviously no love lost there. I think seeing her actually race makes things all the more frustrating for everyone. Certainly does for me. If she's capable of running that hard (with a team mate, of all people), why is it such a rare event? Amusing that the race thread DF is missing from is actually the one race where his own special brand of somewhat myopic summation would actually be warranted for once.

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 02:25
Really thought that battle was going to end in tears at one stage, as there's obviously no love lost there. I think seeing her actually race makes things all the more frustrating for everyone. Certainly does for me. If she's capable of running that hard (with a team mate, of all people), why is it such a rare event? Amusing that the race thread DF is missing from is actually the one race where his own special brand of somewhat myopic summation would actually be warranted for once.

Hey, its people like him why so many people can't stand her. If she was paid attention to on a normal level and was given realistic credit I don't think her running mid to back of pack most of the time would be a big enough deal to bother. Fact is, as we all know, people like him and to a lesser extent the media make her out to be something she is not. I have no problem giving anybody credit when they deserve it no matter how I feel about them. Problem is with you know who around, there is no such thing as proper context. I hope he stays away for good so we can have realistic racing conversations around here!

Looking forward to next season! I think there is some positive momentum. Another race in the Southwest next year and I'm already looking forward to Long Beach!!

maxmach
3rd October 2010, 02:52
Hell of a well, hell of a 2/3 of a race, and it seemed everyone was trying just a little harder. If Danica raced like that all the time she would be almost half as good as her publicity, which would be really good. Anticlimactic way to win it, but hats off to Dario. Oh, and to Scott too. And what the hell, Will and everyone else, it's the new millennium, everyone gets a trophy.

anthonyvop
3rd October 2010, 03:13
Dario live now

NickFalzone
3rd October 2010, 04:12
Congrats to Dario, a deserved 3rd championship to an imo still underrated driver. With 3 championships and 2 I500s he has to be considered one of the best OW drivers ever.

bblocker68
3rd October 2010, 05:21
Just saw the race.

I'm sick to my stomach.

Guess we'll get 'em next year, Will. :(

Mark in Oshawa
3rd October 2010, 08:05
O tuned in at lap 50 and realized that all Power had to do was stay clean and stay close...and he blew it...

Poor guy wont let another one slip away like this one....

Experience coupled with speed kills..and Dario is now one of the best Indycar drivers of all time....and the best face for the sport going forward..

Congrats to him and Will on a great season, and yes, Congrats to the always classy Scott Dixon....

Foot note: Danica looked racy....my lord, she still has to stop blocking like mad with Kanaan but she didn't give up.....

If she did this more often, DF wouldn't look so bad carrying the water for her..

domaza
3rd October 2010, 08:55
Congrats to Dario!

I saw Indy Lights race on TV and ... where were the spectators? 1000 maximum ...

SarahFan
3rd October 2010, 13:37
. where were the spectators? 1000 maximum ...

i went to an intersquad jazz scrimmage yesterday.....there were more people there.....and im not kidding

the crowd was pathetic....has been for years

djparky
3rd October 2010, 13:48
Congrats to Dario!

I saw Indy Lights race on TV and ... where were the spectators? 1000 maximum ...

agreed well done Dario

was going to ask the same question about IndyCar's as well- what a pathetic turn out for a season finale- and a good race as well. I'll be amazed if there were more than 5000 people in those stands

I don't keep up with IndyCar's calenadar- assume they won't be back there next year?

Lousada
3rd October 2010, 13:52
It was quite an exciting race. Dramatic but fair ending to the championship battle, that's the way it goes.

It was great that BB stayed out of the battle between Danica and TK. There have been given black flags for a lot less. At least now we were treated with a great hard battle. Hope to see more battles like that next year, because I've seen it too little this year...

The 20 minute yellow for Power was a joke though. As was restarting when Ana Beatriz was stalled on the backstraight.

The crowd was also awful to see, 10.000 people at best. It can't go on like that.

TURN3
3rd October 2010, 14:21
i went to an intersquad jazz scrimmage yesterday.....there were more people there.....and im not kidding

the crowd was pathetic....has been for years

I was at Homestead for the inagural race in '96 I think was the race. For what its worth, it was packed, absolutely packed back then. A lot of factors play into that for sure, God knows some will explain their magic bullet theory to us.

Of course it was a real race track back then before that NASCAR'ized it.

Jag_Warrior
3rd October 2010, 19:27
I didn't get to see the entire race, but I believe that was probably the best one I've seen this year. And I don't know who was driving Danica's car but that was an excellent bit of dicing with Kanaan. Kanaan threw more blocks than a pulling guard but Danica backed off and set him up with about two to go, passing him fair & square with a very nice piece of race craft. I have NEVER seen Danica do what she did last night. So I have to admit to being shocked. I'll never like her, but I have to give her a thumbs up for that entertaining bit of side-by-side racing. She just out-raced Kanaan.

Congrats to Dario on doing what he needed to do to win the championship. And really, the entire Ganassi team is showing why they're one of the top organizations in North American racing right now.

Tough break for Power. But from interviews you could tell that he was playing not to lose the championship (rather than winning it outright) for awhile now. Dario was playing to win.

And I hate to leave it on a down note, but the Versus coverage has gotten worse, not better. I've heard high school football games that were called better than that. The Versus crew needs to watch F1 on Speed or NASCAR on Fox or ESPN to learn how it's done. The IRL needs to fix one thing at a time, but they then need to make sure that it STAYS fixed. IMO, the TV package is broken (again).

anthonyvop
4th October 2010, 01:42
God knows some will explain their magic bullet theory to us.

No magic bullet......When Champ Car ran there they never had less than 35K

I have said it before and I will say it again...The problem is the product

TURN3
4th October 2010, 02:41
No magic bullet......When Champ Car ran there they never had less than 35K

I have said it before and I will say it again...The problem is the product

I don't disagree that the product is part of it. But it is a ton of things, wouldn't you agree? We could put a list together about 20 items long and none of them are getting solved overnight. But, I am happy with the direction. Seems to be in positive for the first time in 15 years.

ICWS
4th October 2010, 05:49
And I hate to leave it on a down note, but the Versus coverage has gotten worse, not better. I've heard high school football games that were called better than that. The Versus crew needs to watch F1 on Speed or NASCAR on Fox or ESPN to learn how it's done. The IRL needs to fix one thing at a time, but they then need to make sure that it STAYS fixed. IMO, the TV package is broken (again).

The three main guys are okay in my opinion (Jenkins, Buhl, Beekhuis) but I agree they should work on the pit reporting. For one a pit reporter is should stick with interviewing drivers and informing how a team's pit stop was and what condition their car is in instead of trying to analyze the race like a color commentator. It's uncomfortable television coverage when you have a pit reporter arguing his point of view to a color analyst especially when the reporter just has a broadcasting background whereas the analyst has an actual racing background.

It was also rather awkward as well when they were going to present Dario with the trophy when Versus went down to the victory circle only to show Arute attempting to host the presentation with a broken microphone, causing a delay in the championship presentation.

Dr. Krogshöj
4th October 2010, 06:51
O tuned in at lap 50 and realized that all Power had to do was stay clean and stay close...and he blew it...

He blew it when he realized that his car isn't good enough for a win and Dario sealed the most laps led points.

chuck34
4th October 2010, 13:16
The three main guys are okay in my opinion (Jenkins, Buhl, Beekhuis) but I agree they should work on the pit reporting. For one a pit reporter is should stick with interviewing drivers and informing how a team's pit stop was and what condition their car is in instead of trying to analyze the race like a color commentator. It's uncomfortable television coverage when you have a pit reporter arguing his point of view to a color analyst especially when the reporter just has a broadcasting background whereas the analyst has an actual racing background.

It was also rather awkward as well when they were going to present Dario with the trophy when Versus went down to the victory circle only to show Arute attempting to host the presentation with a broken microphone, causing a delay in the championship presentation.

Yep, Arute has got to go. And I also think that Jenkins has gotten worse this year. I don't know what happened to him. When he was on the radio he was really pretty good, but somehow that didn't translate to TV. I don't know why they would be different, but maybe they are. And whoever the producer and director are need to be changed. That is more of a problem than the guys on air. IMHO.

anthonyvop
4th October 2010, 13:25
I don't disagree that the product is part of it. But it is a ton of things, wouldn't you agree? We could put a list together about 20 items long and none of them are getting solved overnight. But, I am happy with the direction. Seems to be in positive for the first time in 15 years.

If it isn't the product then what is it?

I will grant that part of the reason that Saturday's attendance was way down was because the race won't be back next year but HMS did promote the race heavily.

One thing that was noticeable was the low media turn-out. There was approx 1/2 the number of media at HMS than there was last year.

TURN3
4th October 2010, 13:55
If it isn't the product then what is it?

I will grant that part of the reason that Saturday's attendance was way down was because the race won't be back next year but HMS did promote the race heavily.

One thing that was noticeable was the low media turn-out. There was approx 1/2 the number of media at HMS than there was last year.

I agreed that the product was part of the problem...?

NaBUru38
4th October 2010, 15:16
The IRL needs to fix one thing at a time, but they then need to make sure that it STAYS fixed. IMO, the TV package is broken (again).
Agree.

The Versus crew needs to watch F1 on Speed or NASCAR on Fox or ESPN to learn how it's done.
They should check Argentine TC2000's television coverage or F1 in Brazil's Globo. No commercial breaks in 90 minutes of race.

garyshell
4th October 2010, 16:34

You might have to spell it out for him. Slowly.

Gary

ICWS
4th October 2010, 17:58
Yep, Arute has got to go. And I also think that Jenkins has gotten worse this year. I don't know what happened to him. When he was on the radio he was really pretty good, but somehow that didn't translate to TV. I don't know why they would be different, but maybe they are. And whoever the producer and director are need to be changed. That is more of a problem than the guys on air. IMHO.

It would be cool if they somehow got Paul Page back for the the play-by-play. Maybe then they could move Jenkins to a pre-race/post-race studio reporter ala Allen Bestwick. I think the problem with Arute is how he's being used on the telecasts. If Versus has him just stick to pit stop reporting and interviewing drivers after races instead of doing the crap he did during the season he wouldn't be so bothersome.

Lousada
4th October 2010, 18:12
http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/6700/6797.jpg

Yikes!

Jag_Warrior
4th October 2010, 19:05
^^^I hope that's one of the practice sessions and not the race.

Anubis
4th October 2010, 20:25
^^^I hope that's one of the practice sessions and not the race.

Crude screengrab from YouTube suggests not, sadly.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9472/homestead.png (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/homestead.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Steve-o
4th October 2010, 20:32
http://f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/6700/6797.jpg

Yikes!

Nice picture, too bad really...

Has anyone seen the official attendance figures? Nielsen too?

anthonyvop
5th October 2010, 00:20
Consensus at the Media Center was 8-9 K. I was more generous and pegged it at 12,000

anthonyvop
5th October 2010, 00:21
You said "part" I say it is the Problem! Not part.
Garyshell just spews vinegar and water.

SarahFan
5th October 2010, 01:07
8-9?.... 12k?

Comedy

nigelred5
5th October 2010, 01:51
For sake of TV numbers, and I've been saying this for weeks BEFORE the merger was announced, pray the Comcast/NBC merger is approved by the FCC and Versus/Comcast SportsNET immediately becomes the NBC Sports Network. They NEED Not only OTA network airwaves, they are desperately in need of Major NETWORK LEVEL production. IMHO, without significant, SAME Network TV, we will never see the new chassis hit the track.

TURN3
5th October 2010, 02:09

That implies that the product is the only problem. Either you broadly define the problem or you think the TV package is fine?

anthonyvop
5th October 2010, 03:39
That implies that the product is the only problem. Either you broadly define the problem or you think the TV package is fine?

The TV package is a major part of the product.

garyshell
5th October 2010, 06:07

The TV package is a major part of the product.

Maybe I do, but only at self annointed "reporters" with a penchant for backpedaling.

Gary