PDA

View Full Version : STAY or GO

maximilian
24th September 2010, 18:15
With some of the recent driver replacements and the highly rumored silly season, I thought it would be fun to write a rundown of which driver should STAY in F1, and who needs to GO, i.e. vacate the seat they are occupying at the present.

[CAUTION: highly subjective! Do not read if you can't handle other people's opinions different than your own!]

McLAREN:
01 Jenson Button:
A lot of people doubted the wisdom of coming to McLaren at Hamilton's side, and predicted Jenson would get blown away, but the 2009 Champ has really held his own, and this move turned out to be the best thing he could have possibly done. His ultimate pace may not be as quick as Lewis, but he has done better than generally expected, and if that mechanic hadn't killed his engine in Monaco, he would probably have a points total very similar to Lewis right now. Verdict: STAY!!

02 Lewis Hamilton:
Not much to say about Lewis. He is undoubtedly one of the best drivers out there, and aside from his brainfart in Monza is doing a stellar job and a major threat to the championship. Verdict: STAY!!!

MERCEDES:
03 Michael Schumacher:
Poor old Michael has really run out of excuses. First it was "he needs to get back into the rhythm", then it's the car, then the tires, then something else. But it's never HIM, is it? Well, guess what, Michael: it's YOU. Nico outscored you 112-46. You are just a point ahead of a Force India. It's a shame for Mercedes. We keep hearing Michael saying emphatically that he's not quitting,... but watch out for his old neck injury to suddenly make a comeback. Would be so unfortunate for Michael, wouldn't it? He's SO committed to staying, but aw shucks, he'll have to quit because of that darn injury. Just when he was almost getting better. The injustice. The only thing is, who to replace him? Verdict: GO!!!

04 Nico Rosberg:
Still one of the most underrated drivers in F1. While some guys like Kubica get heaps of praise and "future WDC" labels up the wazoo, Nico never seems to get the general public's support as the talent he is. Many were the ones who predicted Schumacher would blow him away this year. I still think he's the real deal, and doing a great job in a mediocre car - and I also think he would have done even better hadn't Mercedes tried to fiddle with their car updates to better suit Schumacher, rather than realizing they need to get behind Nico, who after 4 races was practically in the title hunt. Verdict: STAY!!

RED BULL:
05 Sebastian Vettel:
Despite his many mistakes, the kid is FAST, and he WILL be champion some day. Easy verdict: STAY!!!

06 Mark Webber:
There can be only one verdict on a man who leads the world championship standings. He has been awesome this year, and I really hope he wins the title. I dread the foreshadowing of his retirement after the 2011 season, if it really happens. STAY!!!

FERRARI:
07 Felipe Massa:
Is it just me, or hasn't Felipe been quite the same after his accident? Even though he shows brilliant speed on occasion, he has slowly lost the Ferrari team to Alonso. The real turning point was when Fernando controversially passed him on the pit lane in China, sending an unmistakable signal to the then-championship leader. It's been downhill for Massa since then, and he's clearly a #2 now... and deservedly so! As such, rumors of him leaving Ferrari are no surprise. It's time for another fresh face at Ferrari, Massa has been there for much too long already. Verdict: GO!

08 Fernando Alonso:
Regardless of what you think about the primadonna, he IS possibly the best driver out there, and he finally seems to have found his home. He's wrestled highly rated Massa into submission. His skills are beyond doubt. Verdict: STAY!!!

WILLIAMS:
09 Rubens Barrichello:
It's hard to argue against Rubens, seeing the job he does at his advanced age. The guy is just amazing in his staying power, and his pace seems still good. Although I think 2011 should probably finally be his last season, for now the verdict is certainly STAY.

10 Nico Hülkenberg:
For most of the season he has been a disappointment unfit for the hype that comes with a graduating GP2 champion, but in the last few races he finally seems to have gotten the hang of it. Enough for the verdict to be STAY for now. If he can outscore Rubens the rest of the season as he did the past 3 races, it's a definite STAY!

RENAULT:
11 Robert Kubica:
Even though I am not convinced that Kubica is really all that so many seem to think he is, there is no doubt that he has done a great job resurrecting the Renault team, and routinely splitting the BIG 4 teams. Easy verdict: STAY!!

12 Vitaly Petrov:
Even though he has shown some good pace, I think his seat is rightfully up for grabs. Regardless of some of his good races, let's not forget: Kubica 108, Petrov 19. That's a HUGE difference within a team. Too huge if Renault want to be a serious challenger. This seat is the hottest contest at the moment, and considering who all might be knocking on the door for it, I'm gonna have to say: GO!

FORCE INDIA:
14 Adrian Sutil:
He's clearly quicker than his team mate this year, but couldn't really convince against Fisichella last season. As such, I think his advantage over Liuzzi is more due to Liuzzi's LACK of performance, and I don't subscribe to the Sutil hype at all. I think he is exactly where he should be - a midfield runner team. At Force India, the verdict is: STAY.

15 Vitantonio Liuzzi:
I'd say he pretty much lucked into getting this race seat after Fisichella's ill-fated decision to leave for Ferrari, and I was a bit surprised Force India couldn't come up with a better driver for 2010. Liuzzi has done nothing to deserve staying in F1. He didn't do well the first time he tried, and a quiet life as test driver seemed the perfect place for him to be. I fully expect Paul di Resta to take his seat next year, and rightfully so. Verdict: GO!!

TORO ROSSO:
The whole team needs to GO! I was never a big fan of one organization running 2 teams. I would much rather see Villeneuve buy it up and diversify the grid. Rumor has it Toro Rosso has been for sale anyways. Please sell. GO!
16 Sebastien Buemi:
After showing some initial promise, his career seems to have stalled. Granted, this year's Toro Rosso is pretty miserable, but I think that if he hasn't shown us something new and good by the end of the season, it may well be time to GO.

17 Jaime Alguersuari:
I thought he should have never gotten the seat when he did, and I think he's shown nothing to warrant keeping it. I usually think of him as the one car of the "old" teams not to make it into Q2. So he's scored a couple points this season, beaten Buemi a couple times. But given that there is some serious Red Bull development talent waiting in the wings, this seat should really go to Daniel Ricciardo or even Jean-Eric Vergne. Verdict: GO!!!

LOTUS:
18 Jarno Trulli:
Poor old Jarno has probably overstayed his welcome in F1 after all these seasons. He's certainly had a bunch of bad luck this season, but nevertheless, his time has come and gone, and he should make room for a fresher face. Who should replace him is anybody's guess. I just hope it won't be Fauzy! Verdict: GO.

19 Heikki Kovalainen:
Heikki has done fairly well considering what he has to work with, and he leads the imaginary New Teams World Championship by a mile. He's still young, he seems motivated, and eager to reap some rewards as Lotus (hopefully) get better. No reason for him to leave: STAY!!

HISPANIA:
Here's another team that should just sell out to someone who has the means to do a better job. They never built their own car, and instead of building one now, they are again trying to get someone else to do it for them. That's pathetic. A merger with Epsilon Euskadi wouldn't be a bad idea, but doesn't seem to be in the cards. Either way, I suspect SOMEONE will buy this team up to get their entry spot, which is fine by me. They need to GO, provided it doesn't mean the grid drops to 22.
20 Sakon Yamamoto:
Enough said: GO!!!!!!!!

20 Christian Klien:
Certainly seems to have the best credentials for driving the #20 car. Let's see how he does. If he can beat Senna in Singapore, it's a STAY!

20 Karun Chandhok:
I still believe he did an OK job, and if Klien doesn't keep this seat, it should be him returning. There seems to be a lot of insider support (including Ecclestone) to get him a seat. Perhaps he could replace Trulli at Lotus. Whether he is strong enough to deserve it remains to be seen, but he did a better job than Senna while he was at it, so: STAY.

21 Bruno Senna:
Hasn't exactly set the world afire, despite the hype. The bonus that comes with his famous name is wearing off quickly. If Klien outclasses him in Singapore, I think it's time to GO.

SAUBER:
It pains me to hear rumors that this team may be sold off to become yet another billionaire plaything, and the venerable Sauber name may disappear. Sauber is one of those names that should be a permanent fixture in F1. STAY!!
22 Nick Heidfeld:
Let's see how Nick does on his comeback, but generally it seems to have been a good decision by Sauber to drop de la Rosa (whose posthumous verdict is: GO!). I felt he deserved a race seat all season, and he still does. STAY!

23 Kamui Kobayashi:
Can't really argue much against him, he's been a positive surprise all around, and by far the best rookie in the field. Deserved contract extension for 2011. A clear STAY!!

VIRGIN:
24 Timo Glock:
Glock is another one of those drivers who more or less used to fill the midfield without adding much excitement to it, despite occasional flashes of speed. He's done a solid job at Virgin, and as such is pretty much where he should be. As long as he doesn't take up a better seat, he deserves to STAY.

25 Lucas di Grassi:
He has been pretty much invisible all season. Considering the material he has to work with, he still hasn't shown much to warrant another season. Time to make room for another hopeful and GO.

Sonic
24th September 2010, 18:36
99% agreed.

I'd keep Petrov but other than that I agree with almost everything you say.

SkyTom
24th September 2010, 21:01
I disagree with you on Massa. Everything else I concur.

Sleeper
24th September 2010, 22:34
Disagree with you on Senna and STR but the rest seems spot on.

CNR
25th September 2010, 00:08
alonso 3 strikes and out

involved with spygate
involved with crashgate
and this year

Adrian Sutil GO to a better team
RENAULT OR MERCEDES

Shifter
25th September 2010, 02:58
Must've been my sig you were thinking of, but I do think Nico has even more potential and I agree that he's doing a stellar job.

In some ways I'd be a tiny bit sad to see Buemi sacked but I guess of there's potentially better talent waiting in the wings it would be sensible.

maximilian
25th September 2010, 03:04
In some ways I'd be a tiny bit sad to see Buemi sacked but I guess of there's potentially better talent waiting in the wings it would be sensible.
Well, Buemi still has a chance to rectify himself - if he scores good points in the last 5 races, I am willing to let him stay on as Ricciardo's #2 next year. Vergne isn't really ready yet, anyways! ;)

Roamy
25th September 2010, 05:18
With some of the recent driver replacements and the highly rumored silly season, I thought it would be fun to write a rundown of which driver should STAY in F1, and who needs to GO, i.e. vacate the seat they are occupying at the present.

[CAUTION: highly subjective! Do not read if you can't handle other people's opinions different than your own!]

McLAREN:
01 Jenson Button:
STAY!!

02 Lewis Hamilton:
STAY!!!

MERCEDES:
03 Michael Schumacher:
Wait and see if JV get a drive

04 Nico Rosberg:
STAY!!

RED BULL:
STAY!!!

06 Mark Webber:
STAY!!!

FERRARI:
07 Felipe Massa:
Massa is just fine - He has not effects of the accident it is just that Alonso is that damn good.

08 Fernando Alonso: STAY

WILLIAMS:
09 Rubens Barrichello:
GO - a great journeyman who has outlived his tenure

10 Nico Hülkenberg:
STAY!

RENAULT:
11 Robert Kubica:
STAY!!

12 Vitaly Petrov:
GO!

FORCE INDIA:
14 Adrian Sutil:
STAY.

15 Vitantonio Liuzzi:
GO!!

TORO ROSSO:
The whole team needs to GO! I was never a big fan of one organization running 2 teams. I would much rather see Villeneuve buy it up and diversify the grid. Rumor has it Toro Rosso has been for sale anyways. Please sell. GO!
16 Sebastien Buemi:
After showing some initial promise, his career seems to have stalled. Granted, this year's Toro Rosso is pretty miserable, but I think that if he hasn't shown us something new and good by the end of the season, it may well be time to GO.

Good stuff I agree JV in!!

17 Jaime Alguersuari:
GO!!!

LOTUS:
18 Jarno Trulli:
Sorry Pino - Stick a fork in him GO.

19 Heikki Kovalainen:
STAY!!

HISPANIA:
SELL
20 Karun Chandhok:
GO

21 Bruno Senna:
STAY

SAUBER:
It pains me to hear rumors that this team may be sold off to become yet another billionaire plaything, and the venerable Sauber name may disappear. Sauber is one of those names that should be a permanent fixture in F1. STAY!!
22 Nick Heidfeld:
Let's see how Nick does on his comeback, but generally it seems to have been a good decision by Sauber to drop de la Rosa (whose posthumous verdict is: GO!). I felt he deserved a race seat all season, and he still does. STAY!

23 Kamui Kobayashi:
Can't really argue much against him, he's been a positive surprise all around, and by far the best rookie in the field. Deserved contract extension for 2011. A clear STAY!!

VIRGIN:
24 Timo Glock:
STAY.

25 Lucas di Grassi:
GO.

There I fixed it a bit

truefan72
25th September 2010, 11:30
I would argue that Buemi is a pretty good driver in a not so good car. I have come around to this guy and think that his future in the sport is good and would be much better if he could get a seat elsewhere, in a better outfit. To me he is pretty quick and only limited by the machinery given to him

maximilian
25th September 2010, 14:03
I would argue that Buemi is a pretty good driver in a not so good car. I have come around to this guy and think that his future in the sport is good and would be much better if he could get a seat elsewhere, in a better outfit. To me he is pretty quick and only limited by the machinery given to him
I am somewhat inclined to kinda agree that he maybe could be somewhat good, but I am thinking that if he really was the dog's bollocks, he would have attracted a lot more attention than he did, because while the Toro Rosso is comparatively dismal this year, it's not bad enough so that a really outstanding driver couldn't get some attention... for starters by completely dominating his Algae-infested team mate. :p Think back to when Vettel drove the Toro Rosso. He made a clear impact immediately, and the car wasn't that much better back then, either.

jens
25th September 2010, 17:28
Considering the machinery at their disposal, I'd say there are three drivers, who can be recognized as not being good enough for a seat they have got at the moment: Schumacher, Petrov and Liuzzi. Others are more or less performing to the level, which their teams can find acceptable. Although di Grassi gets beaten by Glock almost on a consistent basis and the likes of Chandhok/Senna/Yamamoto are not much to speak about either, so we could see some changes there as well. Also it would be great to have an experienced driver at STR as a yardstick for a youngster.

Schumacher is closer to his team-mate performance-wise than the other two underperformers. But he is driving for a team, which is aiming to fight for the championship in 2011 (was in 2010 already actually) and no underperformance can be accepted. If he was driving for someone like Lotus, his struggles wouldn't create such questions and it would be just needed to wait, when and if the team comes good.

A few people have been defending Petrov, but let's be frank - he isn't good enough for a seat in a Top5! team. That level is just too high for him. Perhaps he would be suitable for a back of the grid team with his sponsors.

And Liuzzi has been a major disappointment. Now I'm ready to admit that he has had enough chances and hasn't made his case to stay in F1 beyond this season.

Anyway, if you want to replace drivers, you ought to find suitable replacements as well, not just randomly throw them out. I'd firstly consider drivers like Grosjean, Ricciardo, Maldonado and Perez for a drive in 2011 in either midfield or backmarker teams. Not to mention that di Resta is going to join anyway.

jens
25th September 2010, 17:41

It's tough to choose between the two STR drivers - but out of the current two perhaps I'd keep Jaime, who is younger and perhaps has a bit more potential for further development as a driver. Based on current performance I don't expect either to be in RBR once Webber retires. But I can't wait to see Ricciardo (and a year later also Vergne) in F1, who I consider to be more ready for an F1 promotion than any other rookie, although weirdly he doesn't seem to be getting one. Both Buemi and Alguersuari leave me an inconsistent impression.

maximilian
26th September 2010, 01:38
Schumacher is closer to his team-mate performance-wise than the other two underperformers. But he is driving for a team, which is aiming to fight for the championship in 2011 (was in 2010 already actually) and no underperformance can be accepted. If he was driving for someone like Lotus, his struggles wouldn't create such questions and it would be just needed to wait, when and if the team comes good.
So true. Imagine for a moment he was an anonymous driver and not Michael Schumacher. Given the points difference between Rosber and Anonymous, almost everyone would have to agree that Anonymous simply needs to GO (especially given the fact that he is making a lot more money than Rosberg!)

maximilian
26th September 2010, 02:08
Anyway, if you want to replace drivers, you ought to find suitable replacements as well, not just randomly throw them out. I'd firstly consider drivers like Grosjean, Ricciardo, Maldonado and Perez for a drive in 2011 in either midfield or backmarker teams. Not to mention that di Resta is going to join anyway.
I actually was going to add a section "COME" at the end, where I wanted to point out the drivers who SHOULD be in F1 and aren't at the moment, but I got cut short by the pesky 10000 character maximum post limit :D

I do think Grosjean should get another shot at it, and who knows, he may have an outside chance at being in the second Renault, given his Gravity management switch, plus he was mentioned as one of the candidates by Renault themselves. Certainly if Tung can be considered a candidate (major WTF?!?), then Grosjean should be miles ahead.

Raikkonen of course comes to mind as the most important free agent without a ride at the moment, and obviously SHOULD be in F1 if he is really serious about returning.

I can't really think of any other F1 returnee drivers that should have a race seat now that Heidfeld and Klien are back. I am not in the "Ant Davidson should race again" camp at all. Fisichella shot himself in the foot, too bad. But it was probably a good time to clear the cockpit for someone new anyways (except unfortunately it was Liuzzi instead!!) Jacques Villeneuve? I would LOVE to see him back! I just fear it might be a worse comeback flop than Schumacher :rolleyes: Nakajima? Piquet? NAAAAAH!! Chandhok maybe yes, if for no other reason than he was axed unfairly given the fine job he was doing - but in the long run he may not have the speed anyways.

di Resta is a clear case, and hopefully WILL race in 2011 as speculated.

Ricciardo is a no-brainer for a Toro Rosso seat for me. I am very interested to see how he can do, after great test sessions last year, and good results in the lower Formulae this year. He seems to be ready.

Vergne should take Ricciardo's spot as test and reserve driver, and looks like that may well happen, if not at Red Bull, at least at STR.

I am not at all sold on Maldonado or Perez. This year was a bit of a "leftover GP2 championship", seems like there really were no great upcoming talents to leave a mark, and the title went to these guys who've been in GP2 long enough to finally get good rides, but really didn't impress in their previous seasons against better talent. Bianchi did well, but doesn't seem ready yet. As such, I don't really see much coming from GP2 this year. Maldonado's sponsorship will probably go a long way, though. d'Ambrosio seems to know the right people, but hasn't really exactly impressed, has he? As such I would not be offended if he didn't get a ride at all. :)

What would be fun is to get Will Power to do a test at the end of the season. I am not saying he should race F1, but I'd be interested to see how he does, given that he's done really well on the road/street circuits. Then again, Bourdais dominated the US series, only to crap out in F1...

F2 doesn't really seem to produce too much excitement either. I guess Dean Stoneman will get a test with Williams after winning, but given the frosty reception Andy Soucek got in F1, it doesn't seem that F2 is a really respected platform for drivers wanting to graduate up.

Who else is out there? Perhaps Aleshin and Guerrieri deserve some young driver tests. Robert Wickens, perhaps. He seems to have shown some good pace the past couple seasons. Esteban Gutierrez is already contracted by Sauber, so that's that. Edoardo Piscopo seems to have some talent, I just wish he didn't remind me of Joe Piscopo! :dozey: Valtteri Bottas? Edoardo Mortara? Maybe...

Who am I forgetting?

Danica Patrick?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....

CNR
26th September 2010, 03:53
Will Davison
james courtney
ryan briscoe

markabilly
26th September 2010, 03:55
Danica Patrick?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....

I wonder how she will get along with Lewis, when she replaces Button who is headed to Ferrari?

Actually given the current williams cosworth team performance compared to mercedes, while nico still struggles with the problem of dealing with team mercedes trying to make the car work better for MS.......was that the mistake of 2010 for nico AND williams????