PDA

View Full Version : Dario Franchitti drives Jim Clark's race-winning Lotus

garyshell
22nd September 2010, 06:32
From Autoweek:

Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti got to walk--drive, actually--in the path of his hero on Tuesday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Franchitti drove the 1965 Lotus of Indy winner Jim Clark. The No. 82 car was restored last year in Indianapolis and driven, essentially, by only one other person before Franchitti--fellow Scotsman Jackie Stewart, who demonstrated the Lotus at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Franchitti said he couldn't believe the emotion that swelled through him.
“That was pretty special,” he said. “It was a lifetime dream to drive that car, and to drive it here at the Speedway was incredible.

“On one hand I was very conscious of what I was driving, a completely original car that only Jimmy and Jackie have driven before me.”

Clark started the Lotus from second position in the 1965 race at a speed of 160.720 mph. Franchitti, on the other hand, wasn't sure how fast he drove on Tuesday.

“I wanted to go quick in it, but I was conscious of the fact it was irreplaceable, so I took my time,” he said. “I got it to about half throttle one time and I realized how quick it was and it was kind of a shock, actually.

“The funny thing is, when you're driving [today's] Indy car . . . my job is to take the emotions out of it, put it away somewhere and focus on the job and the result. I don't really enjoy any of the emotions you would go through. But today was completely different; it was about enjoying the sensation and everything that was going on. That was really cool.”

Oh man, I would so loved to have been there for this! I saw Jimmy drive the car at the Speedway and to have seen it again would have been a real joy.

Gary

Original Article: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100921/IRL/100929970#ixzz10EYUDxXU

jimispeed
22nd September 2010, 07:11
Couldn't find any video, but I found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQn3saH7qws

Lucky *******!!!

Mark in Oshawa
22nd September 2010, 07:38
Dario runs in Clark's old car...and no one could take video footage of it and post it for the world to see? Can anyone see the disconnect with the IRL's marketing people and the IMS folks who didn't think this would be worthy of some press coverage??

If this was Dale Jr. taking out one of his Dad's old cars...or say Jimmie Johnson driving a Junior Johnson Pontiac from the 60's, the ESPN's and NASCAR friendly press would wall paper this story....

Sophie Hart
22nd September 2010, 13:45
It was quite impressive and exciting event for the Jim Clark’s fans. He has improved his driving skills as what I have seen in his most recent and outstanding race. Jim’s driving skills are really admirable.

Jag_Warrior
22nd September 2010, 19:09
Can anyone see the disconnect with the IRL's marketing people and the IMS folks who didn't think this would be worthy of some press coverage??

The IRL has marketing people?

If this was Dale Jr. taking out one of his Dad's old cars...or say Jimmie Johnson driving a Junior Johnson Pontiac from the 60's, the ESPN's and NASCAR friendly press would wall paper this story....

Yep, because NASCAR has marketing people; in L.A., New York, Daytona Beach and Charlotte (among other places, I would guess).

I bet this meant a lot to Dario. By his statement, it certainly seemed so.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd September 2010, 21:08
The IRL has marketing people?

Yep, because NASCAR has marketing people; in L.A., New York, Daytona Beach and Charlotte (among other places, I would guess).

I bet this meant a lot to Dario. By his statement, it certainly seemed so.

All good points to be sure, but I am sure Randy Bernard likely had no idea on this. From what I have read and heard, he has jumped into the history of the sport with both feet, and he had to know the significance of Jim Clark's 65 win (just days after I was born...god knows I don't feel that old!). For no TV crew to have footage of Dario taking this car around the Speedway is inexcusable. Either Randy dropped the ball, or IMS/IRL people did without his knowledge but it is these little things that prove to all of us that they are pulling out the PR stops to get this sport noticed.

grungex
23rd September 2010, 02:22
If you have a Facebook account, some photos here (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#%21/album.php?aid=2062975&id=1120416520).

garyshell
23rd September 2010, 05:41
If you have a Facebook account, some photos here (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#%21/album.php?aid=2062975&id=1120416520).

Clearly, from the first photo SOMEONE was shooting video.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
23rd September 2010, 07:37
Clearly, from the first photo SOMEONE was shooting video.

Gary

Makes you wonder why a video of the event isn't posted. Why it didn't show up on the "Speed report" Sunday night or will it?

My point is, here was a magic moment in bridging the past with the present, and all we have to show is a few of Dario's memories in an article and a few pictures on a guy's Facebook page...

M I C K E Y.....M O Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu S Eeeeeeeeeeee!

garyshell
23rd September 2010, 15:16
Makes you wonder why a video of the event isn't posted. Why it didn't show up on the "Speed report" Sunday night or will it?

My point is, here was a magic moment in bridging the past with the present, and all we have to show is a few of Dario's memories in an article and a few pictures on a guy's Facebook page...

M I C K E Y.....M O Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu S Eeeeeeeeeeee!

Yet. I suspect (and hope) this was done as part of some plan to feature it in some way.

Gary

Marbles
23rd September 2010, 16:27
This is the car, not the event, as posted by wedge a while back.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139456

Chris R
23rd September 2010, 19:57
I know it is retro - but I cannot help but think that is the way a racecar should look..... that being said - there is no way I'd want to go 200mph in it.....

Marbles
24th September 2010, 01:44
I know it is retro - but I cannot help but think that is the way a racecar should look..... that being said - there is no way I'd want to go 200mph in it.....

I absolutely love those mid\late '60s Lotuses.

I often wonder how those drivers felt from a safety stand point in those days. I mean to say, driver safety was\is a constantly evolving thing that took root around that time. Did Jim Clark feel safer than he did two years previously? Did he feel the safety measures were reasonable and all that could be really expected considering the endeavor?

I have the good fortune to have a friend who owns, restores and tweaks late sixties Cougars and sitting in one the 450+ HP behemoths with nothing but a reed-thin steering wheel and a lap belt is pretty scary... until the adrenaline kicks in.

I couldn't do what these folks did\do but I think I understand it.

Marbles
24th September 2010, 01:58
Yet. I suspect (and hope) this was done as part of some plan to feature it in some way.

Gary

This would definitely be my hope as well. Perhaps on the next race? A motorsport magazine? Maybe an exclusive for this forum and it's die-hard fans. On the other hand, it's disappointing that this would be deemed unworthy by the media in general.

px400r
24th September 2010, 10:55
I absolutely love those mid\late '60s Lotuses.

downtowndeco would call those "near 70s Lotuses."

Mark in Oshawa
28th September 2010, 15:01

Gary

That would make sense, but a teaser for ESPN or the media in general showing Dario getting in and firing it up would make you want to see the full feature now wouldn't it?

Jag_Warrior
28th September 2010, 20:23
Maybe I'm "mis-remembering" something (I thought) I heard. But wasn't Versus supposed to have a weekly IRL centric TV show when this deal was announced a couple of years ago? If they could find someone with some broadcasting skills to do it (meaning NOT Jack Arute), they could really use such a show. That dog & pony show they do before each race is next to useless IMO. But with a show similar to Formula One Debrief, they could recap the previous race and also bring forth some newsworthy chat.

Yes, it would cost (someone) some money. And no, I don't know who would sponsor it or pay for it. But I swear I thought I heard something about Versus doing a show like that early on. And THAT would be a perfect place to feature this mini-event with Franchitti and the Lotus.

And something else... isn't there a Lotus (branded) car in the series now??? Whenever the pace car comes out, I'm sure it gets featured A LOT. Why wasn't that outfit there? I know they wouldn't dare let Sato near the car... even to touch it without white gloves on. But with a Lotus team in the series, there's no Lotus representation? These guys couldn't sell ice cream to little kids with pockets full of cash on a hot summer day, if ya ask me.

Lousada
28th September 2010, 20:48
Maybe I'm "mis-remembering" something (I thought) I heard. But wasn't Versus supposed to have a weekly IRL centric TV show when this deal was announced a couple of years ago? If they could find someone with some broadcasting skills to do it (meaning NOT Jack Arute), they could really use such a show. That dog & pony show they do before each race is next to useless IMO. But with a show similar to Formula One Debrief, they could recap the previous race and also bring forth some newsworthy chat.

Michael Knight has been harping about that for ages on his blog. Look especially for his entries 6th September and 26th September. The guy is extremely self-obsessed but he knows his stuff and he doesn't hold back. A nice read for everyone interested in motorracing pr, imo.
Check it out: http://spindoctor500blog.blogspot.com/

Jag_Warrior
29th September 2010, 10:03
I'd never heard of him. But he seems well read and well connected to the motorsports industry. I read several of his entries after reading the original link. Good stuff. :up:

Mark in Oshawa
1st October 2010, 07:10
I'd never heard of him. But he seems well read and well connected to the motorsports industry. I read several of his entries after reading the original link. Good stuff. :up:

I tell you this much, I do remember reading him in the Philly paper's when I used to be down there a lot. The name is familiar; and on the Indycar coverage, he is DEAD on the money.

AS for Dario driving the Lotus, I hope like heck I see video of it someday....