PDA

View Full Version : Who will be champion??

Lousada
19th September 2010, 22:25
One race to go, who will be champion???
Power is 12 points ahead and wins the tiebreaker (I think). So if Power is second, Dario has to win, score pole and most laps led. If Dario is second, Power has to be fifth or lower if my calculations are correct?

So what do you all think? Will Briscoe and Helio be going for the win, or will they be the wingmen for Power?

EDIT: Ganassi won the last four races at Homestead, so you might say they have a slight edge at this track?

Anubis
19th September 2010, 22:30
I'm so tempted to say Danica...

I honestly don't know. Power has the advantage, but it's going to be a real tense race. Dario has the experience of down to the wire title fights, but then at the same time he needs to be the one going all out, whereas (in theory) Power only has to shadow him. Ought to be an interesting race whatever happens.

Otto-Matic
19th September 2010, 22:32
One race to go, who will be champion???
Power is 12 points ahead and wins the tiebreaker (I think). So if Power is second, Dario has to win, score pole and most laps led. If Dario is second, Power has to be fifth or lower if my calculations are correct?

So what do you all think? Will Briscoe and Helio be going for the win, or will they be the wingmen for Power?

I have to believe that Ryan and Helio will help Will win the champsionship, but Dario has a lot of momentum and also will have Dixion helping him out. I think its going to be Dario.

NickFalzone
19th September 2010, 23:07
Most likely scenario in my mind is Dario winning the race, and Power finishing 3rd or worse. It is definitely very tight, as Dario is the better oval driver, but the 12 point swing evens that out. I'd say 60/40 Dario gets championship.

TURN3
19th September 2010, 23:15
Ganassi has been tough at this track in recent years as pointed out but that balance has shifted ever so slightly to Penske at least the last half of this year. The only reason this title isn't already over in Will's favor is crew/team mistakes while Power was running in contention for the W. I predict Will and Dario will fight out the championship at the front, finsishing 1-2 as guaranteed by the league (just like last year). Dario wins race, Briscoe wins pole, Power gets championship.

Interesting thought, if there were a tie, it would be the 2nd time in Dario's career he loses the title on a tie breaker.

nigelred5
20th September 2010, 12:30
Interesting thought, if there were a tie, it would be the 2nd time in Dario's career he loses the title on a tie breaker.

That was the first thing that came to mind..

I think as long as a Penske Car wins the pole, the Championship goes to Power.

I am evil Homer
20th September 2010, 12:50
As with all these things you'd rather have the points in the bag already as who knows what happens with mechanicals, tyres, debris etc. For that reason i'm going for Power as Dario has to win regardless, so Penske can play it a number of ways....have one guy act as wingman to Will and send the other out to try and force a mistake from Dario.

Dario only has one person backing him up.

maxmach
20th September 2010, 14:40
It's going to be tight, it's going to be tense, Dario has the experience, Power's been driving very well, just a few mistakes by his crew, and how often does Penske make pit mistakes.......not very often. I think Power wins the Championship...barely.

schumachergirl1956
20th September 2010, 15:19
Well i was hoping for Michael Schumacher but it seems he will not get it due to a crappy car in 2010, maybe next year might be better for him, i think its going to be Seb Vettel :) , I am glad Michael is back has i have been a fan/supported him since 1991. :D . I have heard that Kimi and Ralf Schumacher are returning but it could be just a rumor, and has for Jacques Villeneruve getting a motorsport team i cant see that being successful.

Hoop-98
20th September 2010, 15:21
Power, by 7 points!

rh

SarahFan
20th September 2010, 15:28
The question isn't the wingmen.... It's how many yellows will the kv crew bring out allowing Dario to run another fuel economy run....

I'm rooting for will.... But Dario gets the nod because of history and experience

harvick#1
20th September 2010, 15:51
as long as its not a joke of a race like last year, I mean really, all 3 cars that were fighting for the championship were all right together while everyone else was 1 lap or more down, please.

but I want Power to win, so we dont have to se Ashley Judd crying on the tv again

anthonyvop
20th September 2010, 16:20
as long as its not a joke of a race like last year, I mean really, all 3 cars that were fighting for the championship were all right together while everyone else was 1 lap or more down, please.

but I want Power to win, so we dont have to se Ashley Judd crying on the tv again

If the IRL pulls the same stunt as they did last year I am done with them and I will let everyone know it.

garyshell
20th September 2010, 16:35
If the IRL pulls the same stunt as they did last year I am done with them and I will let everyone know it.

Wow, I bet that has the IRL officials just shaking in their boots.

Gary

beachbum
20th September 2010, 17:08
I suspect it will be the driver with the most points after the race .....................

garyshell
20th September 2010, 18:34
I suspect it will be the driver with the most points after the race .....................

Going out on a limb there, aren't you?

Gary

bblocker68
20th September 2010, 18:36
I picked Power the day he signed for the full season, so I'm sticking to it.

Easy Drifter
20th September 2010, 19:52
After hours of studying the results of the year, the alignment of the stars, consulting 30 witches and careful examination of my navel I have decided that Beachbum is correct. :p : :s mokin:

beachbum
20th September 2010, 22:35
Going out on a limb there, aren't you?

GaryI like to keep my predictions realistic ;)

NickFalzone
21st September 2010, 00:54

Brian Barnhart might disagree with you.

Chris R
21st September 2010, 13:05
I have to agree with Beachbum too - seriously, I give Dario the edge in terms of experience under pressure and oval skills. The teams are pretty much equal. Will has the edge in being in front by 12 points. put all that together and it is a wash.... in all likelihood, luck will pretty much determine the final outcome ....

F1boat
21st September 2010, 17:03
I hope Dario!

SarahFan
21st September 2010, 17:21
question for the class:

are Dario and Will the two best racers currently in Indycar?

I like to see the cream rise to the crop.....and IMO it has....the depth of talent runs fairly deep in the current crop of racers.....but I think those two are the best....put the entire field in equally prepared cars and i think headed into the final race the points would stack up pretty darn close to what we have now......Helio Dixon and briscoe are serious talent...but I give Dario and Will the nod.....Justin Wilson would be the wild card, and perhaps young rahal (but maybe hes still a year or two away in race craft)....

thoughts?

garyshell
21st September 2010, 17:36
question for the class:

I like to see the cream rise to the crop.....and IMO it has....the depth of talent runs fairly deep in the current crop of racers.....but I think those two are the best....put the entire field in equally prepared cars and i think headed into the final race the points would stack up pretty darn close to what we have now......Helio Dixon and briscoe are serious talent...but I give Dario and Will the nod.....Justin Wilson would be the wild card, and perhaps young rahal (but maybe hes still a year or two away in race craft)....

thoughts?

I think you nailed it. Justin is very much the wild card though as we have yet to see what he could REALLY do in a well prepared car and team. He sure has shown signs of brilliance under less than ideal circumstances.

Gary

Chris R
21st September 2010, 18:07
question for the class:

thoughts?

excellent post - right on......

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2010, 18:49
I like to keep my predictions realistic ;)
I can tell you are not DF then...

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2010, 18:50
Seriously though, I picked Dario at the start of the season ( I think....or was it Dixon? lol) . That said, I think Will takes it by a nose. He is just fast enough on ovals that he will be able to stay close to Dario, and his teammates will take points off the table for Dario if they are competitive as well. Will has 12 points in his pocket....and if he runs well, Dario pretty much has to win and sweep the pole and laps led...that is a lot to ask for.

TURN3
22nd September 2010, 05:35
question for the class:

thoughts?

Absolutely correct, and Wilson would take my vote for #3. Interesting the styles in Dario and Will too. Will is a left foot braker, Dario a righty. More than 1 way to get the car around a track.

Sophie Hart
22nd September 2010, 13:45
Dario is my all time favorite champ and really he has some good quality which can be witness in his unique skills. He is capable of taking tough challenges and can beat any touch competition.

Mark in Oshawa
28th September 2010, 16:25
Dario is my all time favorite champ and really he has some good quality which can be witness in his unique skills. He is capable of taking tough challenges and can beat any touch competition.

He may be all that and a bag of chips, but if Will Power can stay right behind him all weekend, Dario wont win....