PDA

View Full Version : Renault Title fight 2011?

f1kid1987
15th September 2010, 14:49
I found this on planet F1. Renault title fight 2011 dont think so. Theres still far behind the big 3.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6378076/Renault-hope-to-fight-for-2011-title

F1boat
15th September 2010, 14:58
I too think that if for them it is difficult to win a single race, it's a bit premature to talk about the championship. After all, so far they are less successful then in 2008.

Mark
15th September 2010, 15:04
Agreed, doubtful. Having said that they do have a championship capable engine behind them, just look at Red Bull! Although if you listen to some of the murmurings from Red Bull they seem to be winning despite the Renault engine and not because of it!

Roamy
15th September 2010, 15:09
Renault can break through at any time - they are that close

Sonic
15th September 2010, 15:38
There are big reg changes into 2011 so who knows, perhaps Renault could "pull a brawn" on the rest of the grid, but based on current pace you would have to say a race win has to be their target next year.

maximilian
15th September 2010, 16:22
I have my doubts, too, but it sure would be an amazing season if we'd have no less than 5 potential teams (provided Mercedes can finally get their act together, too) who would be capable of winning races and mounting a title challenge... think about it - Webber, Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg, Schumacher, Kubica and Raikkonen all mired in one gigantic title fight? :)

Mia 01
15th September 2010, 16:34
Perhaps they already signed Kimi, they sure sounds confident.

Sonic
15th September 2010, 17:15
I have my doubts, too, but it sure would be an amazing season if we'd have no less than 5 potential teams (provided Mercedes can finally get their act together, too) who would be capable of winning races and mounting a title challenge... think about it - Webber, Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa, Rosberg, Schumacher, Kubica and Raikkonen all mired in one gigantic title fight? :)

I'm having a crisis in a Jeremy Clarkson stylee. :D

F1boat
15th September 2010, 17:17
Although if you listen to some of the murmurings from Red Bull they seem to be winning despite the Renault engine and not because of it!

Which IMO is not fair. The Renault engines were unreliable in RBR only and it was a few times. From what I hear from the experts, the Renault engines are less powerful than Mercedes-Benz, but more flexible.

steveaki13
15th September 2010, 18:13
Probably thought they wouldn't win the 2005 title after the Ferrari dominance in 2004, but get a good driver in their and some momentum and a title can follow.

jens
15th September 2010, 19:17
The Pirelli tyres are great unknowns for 2011, so it is relatively possible someone will get them wrong, while someone gets lucky and happens to adapt to them incredibly well. Recall the tyre change in 2006-2007: in 2006 Renault was faster than McLaren on Michelins, but when they switched to Bridgestone tyres in late-2006 testing with the same 06-spec cars, McLaren was suddenly faster on a different marque of tyres!

Renault's much-improved form from 2004 to 2005 was also largely down to (tyre) rule changes and efficient adapting to them. But if we leave out "Brawn-style nailing the rules" factor and follow gradual improvement theory, I'd expect more podiums and perhaps a Kubica 2008-style WDC challenge at best. After all, he is not that massively behind the leaders already this year and was actually within touch shortly before mid-season.