PDA

View Full Version : Match-ups: who would you take, and why?

keysersoze
14th September 2010, 22:47
Glock or Sutil?

Kubica or Rosberg?

Webber or Button?

Buemi or Petrov?

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi?

Ari
15th September 2010, 01:40
Glock or Sutil?

Kubica or Rosberg?

Webber or Button?

Buemi or Petrov?

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi?

Sutil.

I think he has more to offer. Glock has been in it for ages and is happy to be a backmarker, I think Sutil wants more.

Kubica.

Just a gun in waiting. Needs a car. Rosberg is fast but compared to the Kube.

Webber.

Of all the choices above this is the hardest. I will say Webber simply because Hamilton has made a meal of Button this year imo. At the start of the year I'd have said Button for sure, but not now.

Buemi.

Has potential. Petrov is basically a pay driver and hardly a good one at that.

Kobayashi!!!!

Love watching this guy drive. Has a flare but is a fair and realistic racer. I sure hope he stays in the sport and gets a good seat in years to come. Hulkenberg has not impressed me much this year.

maximilian
15th September 2010, 03:33
Glock or Sutil?
Kubica or Rosberg?
Webber or Button?
Buemi or Petrov?
Hulkenberg or Kobayashi?
Tough match-ups, well chosen!

I'd go with Sutil over Glock... seems like Glock has had his chance, but both drivers seem to be very close in ability, occasionally very quick, just not consistently. Both aren't high on my overall list, though.

Rosberg over Kubica. I still think Rosberg is vastly underrated and future WDC material - but at the very least he's as quick as Kubica, and by far the better personality from a marketing point of view.

Webber is beating Vettel on equal material while Button is trailing Hamilton, so I'll have to go with Webber there, but again a close match up between two mature racers and good strategists.

Buemi seems to have more potential overall, but is clearly stagnating at the moment. I just don't see Petrov sticking around for too long, maybe one more season - even now his seat isn't secured at all, despite all that money, and his points gap to Kubica speaks volumes! Then again, unless Buemi shows something new, he shouldn't be around too much longer either. To me, they are both low on the wish list.

Kobayashi, but Hülkenberg has really pulled it together in the last few races, and been about as impressive as I expected him to be based on his GP2 title. Remains to be seen how Kamui measures up against Heidfeld. If Nico can keep beating Rubens, this one might be a draw.

Hawkmoon
15th September 2010, 06:25
Glock or Sutil? - Sutil. He's more erratic but clearly faster. Glock is a journeyman in the same mold as Heidfeld and journeymen don't win you races let alone championships

Kubica or Rosberg? - Kubica. No brainer on this one. Rosberg is overrated and though he's done well against Schumi this year I don't he has the speed or tenacity that Kubica has displayed. Kubica may be able to mix it with the best given the right car. I don't think Rosberg can.

Webber or Button? - Button. This is a tough one. I go with Button because he is a world champion, even if I think he is weak one. Webber has had a great year but I think Button is just a bit faster.

Buemi or Petrov? Petrov. Buemi has done pretty much nothing. Alguersuari seems to get more out of the same car on more occaisons. Petrov is undoubtedly quick but makes too many mistakes. Not just the big ones but also the little ones that rob him of a good lap time. With time I think Petrov could improve to a higher level than Buemi.

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi? - Hulkenberg. I have my doubts whether Kobayashi will ever be more than an occasionally quick but always erratic driver. The young German seems to be a much more level headed driver.

F1boat
15th September 2010, 06:54
Glock or Sutil? - Sutil. He's more erratic but clearly faster. Glock is a journeyman in the same mold as Heidfeld and journeymen don't win you races let alone championships

Kubica or Rosberg? - Kubica. No brainer on this one. Rosberg is overrated and though he's done well against Schumi this year I don't he has the speed or tenacity that Kubica has displayed. Kubica may be able to mix it with the best given the right car. I don't think Rosberg can.

Webber or Button? - Button. This is a tough one. I go with Button because he is a world champion, even if I think he is weak one. Webber has had a great year but I think Button is just a bit faster.

Buemi or Petrov? Petrov. Buemi has done pretty much nothing. Alguersuari seems to get more out of the same car on more occaisons. Petrov is undoubtedly quick but makes too many mistakes. Not just the big ones but also the little ones that rob him of a good lap time. With time I think Petrov could improve to a higher level than Buemi.

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi? - Hulkenberg. I have my doubts whether Kobayashi will ever be more than an occasionally quick but always erratic driver. The young German seems to be a much more level headed driver.

This.

import111
15th September 2010, 07:37
Glock or Sutil?

Kubica or Rosberg?

Webber or Button?

Buemi or Petrov?

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi?

Sutil
I think Sutil is just a hair better of a driver than Glock, but I think Sutil is a lot better at telling what the car, tires, and track are doing.

Kubica
Tough call but I think Kubica is a little bit more consistent.

Button
Same reason as above, consistent...and also great at tire management.

Petrov
He did great in GP2 and has had a couple good F1 finishes...just needs a little more time I think.

Hulkenberg
Both damn good drivers but Hulk has more proven results leading up to F1...and has been faster than his seasoned teammate quite a a lot.

Sonic
15th September 2010, 15:53
Sutil
I think Sutil is just a hair better of a driver than Glock, but I think Sutil is a lot better at telling what the car, tires, and track are doing.

I agree with your pick but I think the last time we heard him on the radio to his team he was very vague with his feedback. Martin Brundle was quite surprised with his lack of detail. It should be said that we only hear 0.1% of their conversations but based on that snippet I can't agree with your suggestion.

As for the others, and if I were a team boss trying to pick I would take Rosberg over Kubica. Robert is a great driver but can be moody and demanding when things are going against him.

I'd take Webber over almost anyone at the moment, so against Button he wins hands down in my book.

Petrov is doing what PK could never do and gets my nod.

The hardest pick for me is the Hulk and Kobay. They are both uber talents for the future. I'm going to pick Kobay because the guys got balls and he would be very marketable for my team thanks to his nationality.

Great thread btw.

jens
15th September 2010, 19:33
Good match-ups. :) :up:

Glock or Sutil?
Tough choice. In 2008-2009 I would have said Glock, who seemed more mature and complete compared to crash-prone Sutil, but Adrian seems to have improved in the department of consistency for this season. I think Sutil needs another strong proven team-mate for a new evaluation. Currently seems like a match in my view.

Kubica or Rosberg?
Kubica has for some time left me an impression of a more complete racer, but now I have to say it is really close and Nico has improved this year - he has been better in the wet than ever before and even been quite aggressive in racing, which has been a major questionmark about him. Put in an impressive pass on someone at Silverstone and overtook Schumacher at Spa in the closing laps.

Webber or Button?
Completely opposite types of drivers, yet tough to choose between. Webber is better in qualifying, but Button is more consistent in races. Perhaps... perhaps I would believe in Button collecting a few points more over a full season - after all despite not looking too fast, he - like Heidfeld - is a massively efficient points machine, which he is proving again this year.

Buemi or Petrov?
Again a difficult choice. Buemi is another driver, who is massively unproven and needs an experienced team-mate for comparison. Overall both of them leave an inconsistent impression, but Buemi seems to be making less mistakes and I can currently find less driving faults in him than in Petrov.

Hulkenberg or Kobayashi?
For most of the season I would have said Kobayashi, but Hülkenberg seems to be improving greatly lately. The young German seems definetely better in qualifying and if he can sort out his racing too to become consistent in that, I'd already pick him. But let's wait, how can Kamui fare against Nick as Hulk already has a very proven team-mate to race against.