PDA

View Full Version : Heidfeld In De La Rosa Out

truefan72
14th September 2010, 10:58
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/14092010/58/de-la-rosa-loses-seat-sauber-heidfeld.html

I'm actually quite shocked. I don't think that De La Rosa was that bad and I actually thought he was doing ok, at the very least worthy of a seat for an entire year.

I think that Heidfeld is a decent driver, but I am not sure he will be that much of an upgrade to De La Rosa.

For his part, DLR showed more class in his statement than I would have.

Heidfeld is going to do his typical ho-hum performances as he usually doesn't perform unless his job is on the line, and I have a sneaky suspicion that Heidfeld has signed up for 2011.

ArrowsFA1
14th September 2010, 11:12
A bit harsh on Pedro. Perhaps he'll take over the Pirelli testing duties, but I can't see him getting another race seat.

Retro Formula 1
14th September 2010, 11:29
He's 40 next year. Pedro is a nice guy but it's time to give it up.

Saint Devote
14th September 2010, 11:29
I think Heidfeld is a quicker and better race driver than de la Rosa. Sauber knows how to work with him and this is a good base for the team to work with.

Upon reflection, Sauber made a mistake not signing him for 2010.

Josti
14th September 2010, 11:38
Yes, I also expected him in the seat at the beginning of the year, instead of De la Rosa. Now it happened anyway, so a good choice in my eyes, although DLR did ok so far, despite a bit lack of points.

If DLR wants to be in F1 next year, I guess HRT would be his only option. They certaintly can use a guy with experience at least.

jens
14th September 2010, 11:46
Harsh on de la Rosa, who doesn't deserve to be treated like that, even though Heidfeld is a superior driver. But the timeline of Peter Sauber's thinking process is a bit questionable to me. Why hire Heidfeld now, not in the beginning of the season?!

Let's see, how quickly can Nick adapt to the car. Not much left for doing that though, but at least Kobayashi can get a proper benchmark for proving himself.

Robinho
14th September 2010, 11:52
a surprise yes, but not a decision lacking sense, get Nick back in the car and get some heads up on the development of next years car while his Pirelli knowledge is still fresh. I do think that Nck is a more viable option than Pedro, albeit a bit harsh on the lad who has done nothing wrong this year to deserve being dumped.

it will give a benchmark for Koby too, as we know better how good Nick is, Pedro was a difficult to gauge as to his speed. if he wants a seat fro next year he'll need to take some technical knowledge and a wedge of cash to the spanish team, whatever they may be called by next season

Ranger
14th September 2010, 12:00
Upon reflection, Sauber made a mistake not signing him for 2010.

Nick turned the offer down I'm pretty sure.

ShiftingGears
14th September 2010, 12:24
Quite harsh on Pedro, who with all things considered did a respectable job. Hopefully he is on the grid next year if he so chooses.

Eunos
14th September 2010, 12:43
Good to see the old Wolfman back :) , Course i think he should have been on the grid since Bahrain but whatever..

Bit harsh on Pedro, Unless your names Michael Schumacher it's not gonna be easy finding a Seat at 40+ years old, Time will tell.

I am evil Homer
14th September 2010, 13:08
Always likely to happen unless Pedro could bring some cash to Sauber.

Sonic
14th September 2010, 13:18
How very odd.

Nick is a perfectly solid F1 driver but I don't understand the logic of dropping one midfield driver for another, when that same driver didn't get the seat at the start of the season.

On the plus side, Nick is a known quantity at Sauber so all the better to judge Kobay against.

maximilian
14th September 2010, 13:27
A bit surprising, and yes, a bit harsh on DLR, but ultimately I have to agree with the choice. It was ridiculous that Heidfeld didn't have a race seat for this year to begin with, and equally surprising that Sauber opted to hire DLR almost out of nowhere (I mean, who really expected him to get the nod??). So this somewhat normalizes things.

I'll go out on a limb here and claim that Nick will score more points in the remaining races than DLR has all season so far, and perhaps even more than Kobayashi will in the last 5 races. If Kamui can beat Nick too, then he should silence even his last doubters - for now.

Good luck to DLR, I think the Pirelli test seat is ultimately where he fits in better.

Now, if we can only get that OTHER underperforming 40+ year old comebacker to vacate his cockpit, too, then we'll be in good shape. :D

markabilly
14th September 2010, 14:29
So much for loyalty to a guy who was performing well enough.

Will NH do better?

I dunno, but one of the excuses had to do with car development, and I seem to remember that Pedro was THE test driver for a long time at Mac........so I think that excuse does not fly.....

UltimateDanGTR
14th September 2010, 16:11
poor old pedro, he must be just as shocked as everyone else. he's done ok this year and fair play to him for taking it so well.

having said that im glad to see heidfeld back, despite the fact we have yet another german on the grid. but as they are all at least half decent, we can't complain.

Kevincal
14th September 2010, 16:50
Nick is easily better than PDR... PDR = back of the pack driver. Nick = Between front and mid pack driver. ;)

truefan72
14th September 2010, 17:25
when given a decent car like the mclaren, PDLR did very well in it.
And given this year's Sauber, he has done a decent enough job in the car.
I don't recall any terrible performances except for the one off track excursion I think in Spa practice.

I'm not saying he is a top driver, I just don't think Heidfeld is an upgrade knowing his history. Neither do I think Heidfeld brings anything to the development side of things. I have never heard of Heidfeld as being any kind of asset in terms of developing a car ( let alone setups) whereas PDLR has a long history of being instrumental in developing race winning cars.

His racing days may be over, but his value to an F1 team would probably remain in high demand. For one, a team like mercedes would benefit from his services.

ioan
14th September 2010, 18:09
How very odd.

Nick is a perfectly solid F1 driver but I don't understand the logic of dropping one midfield driver for another, when that same driver didn't get the seat at the start of the season.

On the plus side, Nick is a known quantity at Sauber so all the better to judge Kobay against.

You're calling Heidfeld a midfield driver?
He did beat Kubica more often than not, so what do you call the Pole then?

ioan
14th September 2010, 18:10
So much for loyalty to a guy who was performing well enough.

His got 30% of his team mate's points tally, that's not well enough considering they had both the same number of technical DNFs.

steveaki13
14th September 2010, 18:14
I like Nick Heidfeld, and although I think its a bit harsh on Pedro I think Nick can get the car more reguarly into the points, something which he is normally pretty good at.

Lets see

christophulus
14th September 2010, 19:22
I'm guessing it must be related to finances, Sauber are a little strapped for cash and de la Rosa didn't seem to be bringing much in, judging by how blank the cars still are.

truefan72
14th September 2010, 19:29
I'm guessing it must be related to finances, Sauber are a little strapped for cash and de la Rosa didn't seem to be bringing much in, judging by how blank the cars still are.

I'm not sure it is about money, perhaps a case of familiarity and ultimately PDLR probably not getting along or at odds with the team. As to their finances I do take Sauber at his word when he says they are set for 2011.

What they really need is a strong package for 2011 and hopefully that work has begun now. Maybe PDLR will focus 100% of his time on doing that if thy retain his services.

Sonic
14th September 2010, 21:21

We've gone through this before together and we always end up in the same place. I have my view and you have yours; Kubica is a future WDC, Nick is not .

ioan
14th September 2010, 22:34
We've gone through this before together and we always end up in the same place. I have my view and you have yours; Kubica is a future WDC, Nick is not .

No arguments then, only views. Thanks. This was fast.

Nikki Katz
14th September 2010, 23:34
de la Rosa made a good statement and I'm sure he's a competent driver, but I think that Heidfeld's much better. I wasn't really convinced by de la Rosa at his prime, and he's 39 now and being regularly beaten by an inexperienced teammate.

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 01:12
Nick turned the offer down I'm pretty sure.

As I recall, Peter Sauber did not give him the option. I think Sauber said he wanted a fresh start and that Heidfeld represented the old way.

It is Herr Sauber that has realized Heidfeld is a more competetent driver and as he has in the past, does surprise rather than disappoint.

markabilly
15th September 2010, 02:57
His got 30% of his team mate's points tally, that's not well enough considering they had both the same number of technical DNFs.
Opps that is what i get for not paying close enough attention to back markers like sauber ferrari....opps I mean beemer...or is it mercedes

Oh that's right, that mercedes is the other backmarker with suaber....not the same

But your point is well made: Pedro has only 6 points while the Kobe has got a whopping 21!!!!!!

Of course when one compares the MS total of 46 compared to Rosberg's 112, one can easily see that MS is much better! As in 41% of Rosberg's total..... :up:

Roamy
15th September 2010, 03:20

kimi's lapdog

jens
15th September 2010, 18:33

Well from the future point of view yes, time is working against Heidfeld, while it is working for Kubica. But it is still not completely impossible that Kubica might endure the same fate as Heidfeld by being stuck in midfield teams all career.

Quite harsh on Pedro, who with all things considered did a respectable job. Hopefully he is on the grid next year if he so chooses.

I don't think Pedro is quite good enough to attract anyone to hire him for 2011, except perhaps someone like HRT.

ioan
15th September 2010, 18:38
I don't think Pedro is quite good enough to attract anyone to hire him for 2011, except perhaps someone like HRT.

HRT need money. Is Pedro rich or backed by a some rich Spanish companies?

Nikki Katz
15th September 2010, 19:09
HRT need money. Is Pedro rich or backed by a some rich Spanish companies?
He got the seat by being sponsored by Santander (so that's 3 teams they're involved with?). Maybe due to the slightly forgettable season and the face that Alonso's in the title hunt again, they withdrew their backing.

Can't imagine who's backing Heidfeld though.

N. Jones
16th September 2010, 00:04
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/14092010/58/de-la-rosa-loses-seat-sauber-heidfeld.html

I'm actually quite shocked. I don't think that De La Rosa was that bad and I actually thought he was doing ok, at the very least worthy of a seat for an entire year.

I think that Heidfeld is a decent driver, but I am not sure he will be that much of an upgrade to De La Rosa.

For his part, DLR showed more class in his statement than I would have.

Heidfeld is going to do his typical ho-hum performances as he usually doesn't perform unless his job is on the line, and I have a sneaky suspicion that Heidfeld has signed up for 2011.

I'm late to this thread but still...

Heidfeld should have been here from the beginning.

Roamy
16th September 2010, 00:55
It will be interesting - History says Nick will be a stone for the rest of the year.. but maybe enough of the old car is still there that he can be respectable but don't expect him to beat koby

i_max2k2
16th September 2010, 03:05
I think the car could actually play for Heidfield, he was in last years car, and it would have been developed with him in mind, but you never know. I'd say he'd be at par with Kobiyashi for the last few races.

ShiftingGears
16th September 2010, 13:22

Indeed - that's the team I had in mind. But I suppose it's about money more than what he can bring as a driver.

nik
17th September 2010, 14:09
Good to see him back.

I'm finding the people calling him a 'solid mid-field driver' quite funny. He did a better job than Kubica last year, FACT. The years before at BMW he was doing a great job. A front runner.

And here's some trivia for you....

Did you know Nick Heidfeld has had more podium finishes than Jarno Trulli.

Roamy
17th September 2010, 15:42
Good to see him back.

I'm finding the people calling him a 'solid mid-field driver' quite funny. He did a better job than Kubica last year, FACT. The years before at BMW he was doing a great job. A front runner.

And here's some trivia for you....

Don't be kicking sand in Pino's face

ioan
17th September 2010, 18:09

You are right, however facts are useless around here, simply because 95% of the people have little of clue about drivers they don't support.

steveaki13
17th September 2010, 20:00
I think it will be interesting to see if Heidfeld can step straight into a 2010 car and pick up his usual level of results, or whether we will see him struggle.

steveaki13
17th September 2010, 20:10
On the subject of mid field driver or not, as well as a pole and 3 odd podiums in 2005, 2007 was a great season for him so consistent always just behind the Mclaren and Ferraris and on occasion mixed it with them, and could and maybe should have won in Canada 2008.

This was his best season for me he showed great class and consistency.

As well as the results, he has also pulled quite a lot of great overtakes over the years.

He is a driver a bit like DC, put him in the car and he will more often than not bring it home in the points, and although I like Pedro I think generally Nick would be a better option in the car.

I hope quick Nick can score some good points.

truefan72
17th September 2010, 22:49
I think it will be interesting to see if Heidfeld can step straight into a 2010 car and pick up his usual level of results, or whether we will see him struggle.

Heidfeld will do what he always does which is to do just enough unless management threatens him with being fired then he puts up a few great results.
But maybe this time he will feel extra motivated and actually produce some great results.

jens
20th September 2010, 19:13
I find it quite interesting that Esteban Gutierrez (who based on GP3 performances I consider to be a real potential top star in the making) has been confirmed as Sauber's third driver for 2011. Does this mean that Perez will be signed to become second race driver or will the intervention of Telmex Mexicans only apply to the reserve seat at the moment?

Tazio
21st September 2010, 02:49
I'm late to this thread but still...

Heidfeld should have been here from the beginning.

My sentiments exactly! :up:

Plus he is on a team that competes for points!
Should be interesting

Saint Devote
21st September 2010, 03:28
I find it quite interesting that Esteban Gutierrez (who based on GP3 performances I consider to be a real potential top star in the making) has been confirmed as Sauber's third driver for 2011. Does this mean that Perez will be signed to become second race driver or will the intervention of Telmex Mexicans only apply to the reserve seat at the moment?

This is a very big mistake the Mexican is making. GP3 is nowhere near the level that F3 teaches drivers or the level of competition.

Excluding F3, FR3.5 and GP2, what does this driver know? Nothing - but ge does have a great seal of money supported by Carlos Slim.

Just look at the difficulties that a driver such as Alguersuari had and this year, Vitaly Petrov - and these are experienced drivers from formulae at a much higher level than the low-budget standard GP3 cars.

I would say that if he drove the Sauber he would be amongst the HRT's and the Virgins.

Maybe he has potential, but GP3 is not much at all.

jens
21st September 2010, 08:13
I thought the field of the drivers in GP3 is stronger than either in Euro F3 or British F3 this season. I'd say GP3 has surpassed all kinds of F3 series already in their debut season and is taking over the role of a main feeder series into GP2. Now there are already talks about the merger of Euro and British F3 due to the impressive entrance of GP3 into racing scene. If we are talking about a weak feeder series, better let's take a look at Formula Two.

ShiftingGears
21st September 2010, 09:34
If we are talking about a weak feeder series, better let's take a look at Formula Two.

:up:

ArrowsFA1
21st September 2010, 11:53
If we are talking about a weak feeder series, better let's take a look at Formula Two.
That series seems to be sitting in no-man's land with a lot of other series at the moment.

Andy Soucek, 2009 F2 series winner, got his prize of a Williams test. Went to Virgin and got no testing and has headed back to Superleague which is where he was before F2. Robert Wickens, runner-up to Soucek, went to GP3 and finished runner-up again.

I can't see Dean Stoneman or Jolyon Palmer faring much better after their F2 success. They look to be good drivers but F2 certainly has not turned out to be the proving ground the original F2 series was, nor is it a challenger to GP2.

Sophie Hart
22nd September 2010, 12:15
That was the most shocking news for me as I was expecting to see him successful but unfortunately it became the biggest upset event so far. I don’t know what you guys to share but it was an unfortunate and upset event.

jens
25th September 2010, 16:46
Possibly Heidfeld isn't completely in the groove yet, but an important showing for Kobayashi to outqualify the experienced German comfortably despite being on a new track to him.

pettersolberg29
25th September 2010, 17:12
I think I expected Kobi to beat Nick in this race and quali, and with a mistake on Nick's fast lap he was never going to get top 10. Overall I am very impressed by how easily he has come back though and expect him to be beating Kobi at Suzuka.