PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen bids for 2011 Renault seat

ArrowsFA1
14th September 2010, 08:23
Kimi Raikkonen is making a fresh bid to return to Formula 1 next year after approaching the Renault team for a drive in 2011...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86688

gloomyDAY
14th September 2010, 08:24
Kimi in 2011?

Yes!

Mark
14th September 2010, 08:25
Lets hope so! Although Kimi would be a great signing for Renault I personally think he would be better suited at Mercedes. But either way...

DexDexter
14th September 2010, 08:33
Kimi in 2011?

Yes!

That is all very surprising, the Finnish media had no clue about that. Kimi is a hard man to figure out but logically he will stay in rallying. It's bit funny how Renault is viewing the situation according to the article when in reality they'll take Kimi if they can get him (and afford him).

Retro Formula 1
14th September 2010, 08:49
That is all very surprising, the Finnish media had no clue about that. Kimi is a hard man to figure out but logically he will stay in rallying. It's bit funny how Renault is viewing the situation according to the article when in reality they'll take Kimi if they can get him (and afford him).

I think that he would be a better option but it's more a case of can they afford to take him rather than can they afford him.

The team needs money and for the manufacturer to stump up the cash, they need some reason. Petrov opens a very lucrative market and Kimi would bring better results but not a lot more from a marketing perspective. Would those results be enough?

Mia 01
14th September 2010, 09:11
Autosport is a reliable publication. I´m so delighted, my man will be back and settle things, fantastic.

If it´s true!

pino
14th September 2010, 09:13
Great news if true :up:

Mia 01
14th September 2010, 09:18
I´m so very very glad, ifs it true.

I´m not so sure Renualt are worse than Mercedes next year.

Sonic
14th September 2010, 10:17
I think it's time for me to dust of my "never gonna happen" song.

However the last time I sang it Brawn became Mercedes and McLaren and the three pointed star split.

But what the hey.....

Never gonna happen,
Never gonna happ-en,
Never gonna happen,
Never gonna happ-en,
Never gonna happen,
Gonna happen,
Dodododoooooodadum.

555-04Q2
14th September 2010, 10:57
Kimi back in 2011 :?:

Please God nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :down:

Saint Devote
14th September 2010, 10:59
No.

Lets draw a line under Michael Schumacher. You leave the sport and go away. Why?

Because there are new exciting drivers in the lower echelons that are the future of the sport.

Everyone is after Renault suddenly and it is to his credit that Boullier remains favorable to Vitaly. But even if it ends up differently, then the Regie should go for another debutant.

Its bad enough that there is no testing so new drivers cannot get the same amount of preparation that people such as Hamilton and Rosberg had.

What does f1 want to do? Chase away ALL the good potential to the Indycar series or worse, make success in GP2 a dead-end?

There is a big problem in f1 - drivers stay too long these days because it has become so safe.

truefan72
14th September 2010, 11:02
Lets hope so! Although Kimi would be a great signing for Renault I personally think he would be better suited at Mercedes. But either way...

agreed, but it doesn't hurt to find out.
2 options are better than one

Koz
14th September 2010, 11:06
Kimi :D

2011 WDC!

Retro Formula 1
14th September 2010, 11:09
Its bad enough that there is no testing so new drivers cannot get the same amount of preparation that people such as Hamilton and Rosberg had.

What does f1 want to do? Chase away ALL the good potential to the Indycar series or worse, make success in GP2 a dead-end?

I was under the impression that it was only in season testing on current cars that was banned.

Can't they use last years car to give new drivers a good shake down?

If a driver is good enough, he will go to F1. It's only the people that aren't good enough to make it that go to Indy etc.

jens
14th September 2010, 11:32
Might sound like a surprising turnaround in his thinking, but on the other hand who knows?! I think there was always a suspicion that he might get frustrated of crashing cars in WRC, which might have left him wondering that a breakthrough in rallying is harder than he anticipated and maybe it's better to leave it just as a pastime hobby. Better participate at an F1 media event than keep digging your car out of a hole? :p : Different experiences can give interesting perspectives and change human's thinking, so maybe that's what has happened to him.

ratonmacias
14th September 2010, 13:49
cool seems like kimi laid down the bottle and started thinking about driving in a sport where he is among the best. and please all this boullier talk about having to think hard between kimi and petrov is B.S. to keep the russian money coming. now comparing Kubica to Kimi that would be a close one driving wise with team spirit going to Kubica and marketing going to Kimi.

keysersoze
14th September 2010, 14:06
I've become a Petrov fan this year.

maximilian
14th September 2010, 14:13
I think by now even Kimi himself figured out that he's not cut out to make it in rallying, after his basically chaotic season that hasn't yielded much besides crashes (that after mostly crashes in rallying last year, too!). Maybe it's not so much him wanting to return, but Citroen telling him to get lost, as he's not pulling his weight in comparison with how his team mates are doing.

So maybe he's realizing he'll be out of a drive for 2011, that's why his sudden interest in coming back to F1.

I don't like him personally, but I think it would be an awesome addition to the grid to have the exWDC back. With Heidfeld back too, we'd be getting closer to having almost everybody who SHOULD be racing in F1 actually racing.

For Renault it would make a lot of sense. If they want to be a serious challenger, they need to unload the #2 quality drivers, and get serious material a la Kubica and Raikkonen behind the wheel.

Kubica & Raikkonen... what a personalities disaster!! LOL... But they can surely drive. F1 that is. Rally? Not so much... ;)

Petrov going to Lotus is a possibility. He's done decently this year, and probably deserves a seat somewhere, but I am not sure Lotus would wanna cash him in for Trulli and Renault engines, but it may be part of the Renault deal. In any event, Trulli's time is up... he's been in F1 long enough.

UltimateDanGTR
14th September 2010, 16:14
Id love him to come back in 2011, he is a magnificent F1 driver. not too sure on his rallying skills, but hey.....

Kimi and Kubi would be a great line up for renault next year.

but whether it happens is another story.

Kevincal
14th September 2010, 16:55
Kimi would be a much better fit at Mercedes. I bet Schumacher retires again after this dismal season... Also Kimi is too good of a driver to bother with Renault. 2005-06 were fluke years for renault imo Alonso was super talented and hungry for wins and had the car set up perfectly for him. I think Kimi will fare no better than Kubica in the coming years at Renault = Podiums will be rare and wins non-existent. Then again I guess Mercedes isn't much better than Renault but I think the Mercedes team will have more potential in the coming years than Renault.

SGWilko
14th September 2010, 17:02
If Kimi does return, with the new tyres for 2011, there is a more level playing field than that which the Shoe is having to catch up with.

steveaki13
14th September 2010, 18:10
I would like to see it

Another WDC on the grid.

ioan
14th September 2010, 18:22
That would be great, even if I feel sorry for Petrov.

race aficionado
14th September 2010, 18:25
Kimi in 2011?

Yes!

I was hoping for a NASCAR bid.
;)

:s mokin:

DexDexter
14th September 2010, 18:54
I think by now even Kimi himself figured out that he's not cut out to make it in rallying, after his basically chaotic season that hasn't yielded much besides crashes (that after mostly crashes in rallying last year, too!). Maybe it's not so much him wanting to return, but Citroen telling him to get lost, as he's not pulling his weight in comparison with how his team mates are doing.

He is doing quite well in rallying considering his experience and that's according to guys like Markku Alen etc. who know what they are talking about. He is not employed by Citroen (Red Bull pays his salary and expenses), and they will not tell him to get lost anyway since he's by far the most well-known figure in rallying. Maybe he just misses racing and circuits like Spa. Who knows?

Robinho
14th September 2010, 20:23
i don't see why Petrov is there, Grosjean was a far better prospect and did about as well as Petrov managed in his 1st half, with zero testing. whilst Petrov is a decent driver, Kimi would be the best option, he's not old, he's a proven race winner and world champ and he is plain quick.

However, i doubt Renault will pass up on the Russian cash and connections and Kimi will have to look elsewhere

i_max2k2
14th September 2010, 20:48
This would be such an interesting situation with Kimi in, and better performing Mercedes and Renault teams, we could have potentially 6 wdc's assuming webber wins this championship!, The next season could be one of the best ever!

maximilian
14th September 2010, 21:07
This would be such an interesting situation with Kimi in, and better performing Mercedes and Renault teams, we could have potentially 6 wdc's assuming webber wins this championship!, The next season could be one of the best ever!
Very true! We could have 13 Championships on the grid, 14 if Villeneuve still somehow gets his team in, PLUS WDC runners-up Vettel, Massa, and Barrichello, and the likes of "future WDCs" Kubica and Rosberg. (and I am sure someone will prove my math wrong)

Thinking back to sometime in the 90's when we didn't have ANY titles on the grid (was that after the death of Senna? I can't remember specifics), the quality of the field is already truly amazing, and could be even more amazing next season.

Mia 01
14th September 2010, 21:39
Perhaps Kimi can join early, just like Nick in Singapore.

keysersoze
14th September 2010, 22:07
i don't see why Petrov is there, Grosjean was a far better prospect and did about as well as Petrov managed in his 1st half, with zero testing. whilst Petrov is a decent driver, Kimi would be the best option, he's not old, he's a proven race winner and world champ and he is plain quick.

However, i doubt Renault will pass up on the Russian cash and connections and Kimi will have to look elsewhere

He's in the seat because of the money he brought to the team--I thought everyone knew this.

Grosjean was a long-time test driver--he SHOULD be better than VP, as the Russian had been in an F1 car very little before he became a full-time driver.

Of course Kimi would be better--he's won a ton of poles, races and a WDC. Duh.

F1boat
15th September 2010, 06:58
Good luck to him. I am not sure that he will be competitive as before, but still, one year is not as much as three, Kimi is still young and if he is back, I'll be happy. One of the best drivers in F1, for sure.

ShiftingGears
15th September 2010, 11:47

Surely that would break the record for number of former/current WDC's for one season.

Also interestingly if either RBR driver wins the championship he will be the 5th different WDC in the last 5 years, which hasn't happened since there were 7 different WDC's in 7 years between 1977 and 1983.

markabilly
15th September 2010, 11:55
I was hoping for a NASCAR bid.
;)

:s mokin:
His off track antics would make him more suited for nascar....even more so than JPM

His history involving lap dancing girls might make him even overqualified.

Personally, I was impressed with Kimi, but the last few years @ ferrari left too many question marks.

DexDexter
15th September 2010, 12:11
His off track antics would make him more suited for nascar....even more so than JPM

His history involving lap dancing girls might make him even overqualified.

Personally, I was impressed with Kimi, but the last few years @ ferrari left too many question marks.

Kimi would have major problems adjusting to American culture. A silent man in a country where people have trouble being quiet in an elevator :D

janneppi
15th September 2010, 12:42
Kimi would have major problems adjusting to American culture. A silent man in a country where people have trouble being quiet in an elevator :D

Indeed. Just imagine I he'd ever manage to win a Nascar race, standing next to a car with the roof full on sponsor thingys thanking Lightning Joe's new line of asbestos gloves for their help in the amazing victory. :D

I kind of hope he stays in rallying, even if it means I'm less interested in F1 races. There is still more room to improve on tarmac and gravel in WRC.

f1kid1987
15th September 2010, 14:26
I dont think he'll return next year.

Id would like to see sutil in the renault next year just to see how good of a driver he is.

Hes impressed while his been at Force India.

keysersoze
15th September 2010, 14:28

There's a lot more criticism directed our way than we direct that way. So who has the issue with being quiet? :p

Garry Walker
15th September 2010, 14:30
Maybe it's not so much him wanting to return, but Citroen telling him to get lost, as he's not pulling his weight in comparison with how his team mates are doing.

So maybe he's realizing he'll be out of a drive for 2011, that's why his sudden interest in coming back to F1.

That is why the boss of Citroen has on many occasions said they want to continue with him?

Garry Walker
15th September 2010, 14:31

I can just imagine kimi having to say the usual thing what you do after winning a race in nascar "I`d like to thank coca cola, mcdonalds, ibm"

jens
15th September 2010, 18:46

Hell yeah, I'd imagine NASCAR is one of the last series he would decide to go. :p :

DexDexter
16th September 2010, 14:31
There's a lot more criticism directed our way than we direct that way. So who has the issue with being quiet? :p

Are you telling me that it's ok to be silent and not communicate at all with people you don't know in the States? Is it ok not to talk at all in situations of interaction without being labelled weird or arrogant? Don't think so. In this country it's ok. EDit: And this is not me critisizing anything....

truefan72
16th September 2010, 15:47
Are you telling me that it's ok to be silent and not communicate at all with people you don't know in the States? Is it ok not to talk at all in situations of interaction without being labelled weird or arrogant? Don't think so. In this country it's ok. EDit: And this is not me critisizing anything....

no, but it is a gross generalization of a multicultural country of over 350 million people. Have you ever considered the fact that you might actually be weird and arrogant? :\

maximilian
16th September 2010, 16:37
That is why the boss of Citroen has on many occasions said they want to continue with him?
Yep. That's what Ferrari said, too, remember? :D

"Rookie" or not, Kimi has been underwhelming in terms of results, and just like with Schumacher at Mercedes, some of the higher-ups (may that be at Citroen or RedBull) might start wondering if it's not a better investment to get someone else behind the wheel fulltime who can actually challenge for podiums and not crash out every second event, instead of paying big bucks for little results.

keysersoze
16th September 2010, 20:03

Yes, in the U.S. it is perfectly acceptable to be quiet and not commuinicate at all with people one may not know. Of course.

Nope, it's probably not OK to be silent "in situations of interaction" without being considered rude. However, being on an elevator, the scenario you cited, is not a situation that requires interaction. Moreover, I've never heard Kimi say nothing when asked a direct question in an interview. The man DOES talk.

No one in the U.S. would think Kimi is any more odd (than people in Europe / Scandinavia already do) just because he has little to say. I've never heard an American F1 fan say that Kimi is arrogant or weird. On the contrary--across the board they think he is quite cool. The American media, on the other hand . . .

DexDexter
16th September 2010, 21:03
Yes, in the U.S. it is perfectly acceptable to be quiet and not commuinicate at all with people one may not know. Of course.

Nope, it's probably not OK to be silent "in situations of interaction" without being considered rude. However, being on an elevator, the scenario you cited, is not a situation that requires interaction. Moreover, I've never heard Kimi say nothing when asked a direct question in an interview. The man DOES talk.

No one in the U.S. would think Kimi is any more odd (than people in Europe / Scandinavia already do) just because he has little to say. I've never heard an American F1 fan say that Kimi is arrogant or weird. On the contrary--across the board they think he is quite cool. The American media, on the other hand . . .

But still, you know the guy lacks small talk-skills completely. That's got to feel odd for people whose interaction culture is quite different.

Anubis
17th September 2010, 00:28
Would Renault be prepared to front the cash he'd demand? I can't imagine he'd come cheap.

D28
21st September 2010, 03:04
Surely that would break the record for number of former/current WDC's for one season.

Also interestingly if either RBR driver wins the championship he will be the 5th different WDC in the last 5 years, which hasn't happened since there were 7 different WDC's in 7 years between 1977 and 1983.

The record for WDC in one season is 5. This happened in certain races in 1968 and in 1970.

Actually it is 6 different champions from 1977-83, as Piquet repeated 1981 and 83. This is still an impressive number of winners.

1959 saw no WDC in action.

DexDexter
21st September 2010, 07:27
no, but it is a gross generalization of a multicultural country of over 350 million people. Have you ever considered the fact that you might actually be weird and arrogant? :\

As a professional of intercultural communication, I'd say that there are some generalisations one can make about social behavior patterns in cultures and there aren't that many Western cultures where silence is tolerated as well as it is in this country. I'm not trying to insult anybody and I apologise if I did.

But getting back to the topic...to me it's hard to imagine that Kimi himself is suddenly keen on driving for a team that 1. doesn't have the money the top teams have, 2. doesn't have quick enough car. Maybe it's his managers doing the talking just to see what is on offer?

jens
21st September 2010, 08:16
But getting back to the topic...to me it's hard to imagine that Kimi himself is suddenly keen on driving for a team that 1. doesn't have the money the top teams have, 2. doesn't have quick enough car.

Perhaps it's still possible that he has changed his attitude. "OK, the car isn't that good and the salary is low, but now I feel I want to race really badly instead of going nowhere in a rally car." We'll see. :)

ShiftingGears
21st September 2010, 08:27
Actually it is 6 different champions from 1977-83, as Piquet repeated 1981 and 83. This is still an impressive number of winners.

I must've thought Prost was '83 for some strange reason. Oops.

keysersoze
21st September 2010, 15:15
Perhaps it's still possible that he has changed his attitude. "OK, the car isn't that good and the salary is low, but now I feel I want to race really badly instead of going nowhere in a rally car." We'll see. :)

That, and maybe he's just like the overwhelming majority, who covet the glamor of F1.

DexDexter
21st September 2010, 17:34

It would be nice to see him back but on the other hand watching races without your countryman in a top team is quite refreshing, you just enjoy the races without rooting for anybody in particular. :D

ioan
21st September 2010, 17:54

What does that make of 2005, 2006 and 2010 then? ;)

D28
21st September 2010, 18:26
What does that make of 2005, 2006 and 2010 then? ;)

Read theugsquirrel post for Sept. 15, for his original observation.

Sonic
21st September 2010, 19:50
Well with Renault landing a new Russian sponsor it would seem to indicate that if the F1 door remained ajar for Kimi it has just been slammed shut.

keysersoze
21st September 2010, 22:29
Well with Renault landing a new Russian sponsor it would seem to indicate that if the F1 door remained ajar for Kimi it has just been slammed shut.

I hope so. But my boy Petrov needs to take care of business this weekend.

ioan
21st September 2010, 22:54
Read theugsquirrel post for Sept. 15, for his original observation.

Oups.

CNR
21st September 2010, 23:49
http://www.mibz.com/22885-petrov-attracts-new-russian-sponsor-for-renault-f1-team.html

Renault F1 Team announced the signing of a new sponsorship contract with the Russian shipbuilding company, Vyborg Shipyard JSC, for the last five races of the 2010 Formula 1 season.

it may be a revolving door

Robinho
22nd September 2010, 11:54
its only for the rest of this year, i think they'll need a lot more than that to retain Petrov, like some decent results and a wadge of cash

Sonic
22nd September 2010, 12:11
it may be a revolving door

Perhaps. But Renault are having a fair amount of success using Petrov to reel in Russian sponsors this year, and as they have already stated that any appointment would have to make commercial sense, I can't see better revenue streams opening up with a driver as promotion shy as Kimi is well known to be.

The only way I can see Kimi getting in would be if star driver Kubica jumped ship.

Koz
23rd September 2010, 01:35
Perhaps. But Renault are having a fair amount of success using Petrov to reel in Russian sponsors this year, and as they have already stated that any appointment would have to make commercial sense, I can't see better revenue streams opening up with a driver as promotion shy as Kimi is well known to be.

The only way I can see Kimi getting in would be if star driver Kubica jumped ship.

Sadly, you are right. Even though Kimi was a WDC, there are too many of them these days.

Retro Formula 1
28th September 2010, 15:30
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87045

It's getting closer.

Petrov looks over promoted and the Finn is back.

Sonic
28th September 2010, 16:43
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87045

It's getting closer.

Petrov looks over promoted and the Finn is back.

Perhaps I'm being a cynic but "get a better understanding of how keen the Finn is to return to F1" sounds a great deal like we want to squeeze petrov's backers for as much money as we can so we are "evaluating" Kimi.

I am evil Homer
28th September 2010, 16:45
That's how I read it....not that they don't want Kimi but more "lets see how much faith and cash Petrov's backers have".

UltimateDanGTR
28th September 2010, 17:54
if this does happen, we would end up with kubica and kimi at renault. (assuming kubi stays at renault)

along with mclaren, red bull, ferrari and mercedes, we could say we had a fifth 'superteam' in the driver line up department.

and no one can argue they wouldn't like to see that, can they?

Sonic
28th September 2010, 18:03
if this does happen, we would end up with kubica and kimi at renault. (assuming kubi stays at renault)

along with mclaren, red bull, ferrari and mercedes, we could say we had a fifth 'superteam' in the driver line up department.

and no one can argue they wouldn't like to see that, can they?

No sir. I'd love to have Kimi back and have a field of world champions, I just can't see it happening.

DexDexter
6th October 2010, 08:03
Kimi will not drive for Renault next year. He said that Renault has just been using his name for marketing reasons. He said he had NEVER even considered driving for the team and it's 100% sure he will not drive for them next year.

http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/164335.html

DexDexter
6th October 2010, 08:06
Kimi will not drive for Renault next year. He said that Renault has just been using his name for marketing purposes. He said he had NEVER even considered driving for the team and it's 100% sure he will not drive for them next year.

http://www.ts.fi/f1/uutiset/164335.html

ArrowsFA1
6th October 2010, 08:23
Kimi will not drive for Renault next year. He said that Renault has just been using his name for marketing purposes. He said he had NEVER even considered driving for the team and it's 100% sure he will not drive for them next year.
So we are to believe that this was all Renault trying to use the possibility of Kimi joining them to attract sponsors?

Mmmmm...not too convinced :dozey:

DexDexter
6th October 2010, 08:35
So we are to believe that this was all Renault trying to use the possibility of Kimi joining them to attract sponsors?

Mmmmm...not too convinced :dozey:

No, IMO they're trying to get more money from the Russians.

Koz
6th October 2010, 14:00
So it's the same story that Toyota used this time last year...

gloomyDAY
6th October 2010, 18:33
Raikkonen said: "I am very disappointed with how they have used my name for their own marketing. I have never even seriously considered driving for Renault, and I can assure you that I am 100 per cent sure that I will not drive for Renault next season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87205

So, who's lying here?

DexDexter
6th October 2010, 18:48
Raikkonen said: "I am very disappointed with how they have used my name for their own marketing. I have never even seriously considered driving for Renault, and I can assure you that I am 100 per cent sure that I will not drive for Renault next season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87205

So, who's lying here?

About what? Kimi said his managers made one inquiry and that was it, nothing more. As I said, Renault need money and a WDC card is a good way of putting a bit pressure on the Russians.

gloomyDAY
6th October 2010, 19:42
About what? Kimi said his managers made one inquiry and that was it, nothing more. As I said, Renault need money and a WDC card is a good way of putting a bit pressure on the Russians.Renault made it seem as if a deal was imminent. At least that was the sense of urgency that Mr. Genai Capital portrayed. It was as if they were going to meet face-to-face and cut a deal.

Big Ben
6th October 2010, 20:30
maybe KR felt renault were only using him to squeeze some more rubles from the russians and got upset.... well it´s a shame... now I´m off to the MS quitting thread to tell that @$$HoL€ he´s occupying Kimi´s seat and then maybe I´lll start a 'Kimi stop driving in the bushes and come back where you belong and don´t go nuts about the money this time' thread

truefan72
6th October 2010, 20:37
this might as well end up blowing up in their face if petrov and his money look elswhere based on this poor gamesmanship and kimi gets a ride with another team then Renault would be forced to actually pay top dollars for a massa, sutil or webber.

As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Big Ben
6th October 2010, 20:42
true... but a bird in a bush... that's the real deal... 8-> (daydreaming that is)

keysersoze
6th October 2010, 22:06
this might as well end up blowing up in their face if petrov and his money look elswhere based on this poor gamesmanship and kimi gets a ride with another team then Renault would be forced to actually pay top dollars for a massa, sutil or webber.

As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

If the option is Renault or, say, Lotus, I'm sure VP and his money will get over it rather quickly.

Arjuna
7th October 2010, 03:47
I think this discourse can give benefit to both Renault and Kimi himself, Kimi said Renault has used this bid for their own marketing, perhaps yes it can help their popularity. Despite the fact that never yet serious talk between them is held, this means Renault has rated him a worthy driver for a turning back, this would remind people of him, if not with Renault he can make negotiation with different teams, but obviously this opens possibility that he still can come back.

To replace Petrov, Renault may have to think twice the advantage and disadvantage. By strength that he has cash back up, Renault might consider his up and down of performance this season can improve in the next seasons.

This must encourage Kimi to dig more possibility about returning, he can be more active approaching teams or looking for sponsor back up if need be.

Tazio
7th October 2010, 04:28
If the option is Renault or, say, Lotus, I'm sure VP and his money will get over it rather quickly.Good point. :up:
There is a deeper commercial connection between France and Russia however!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704784904575111292346578052.html

Russian President Dmitri Medvedev traveled to Paris last week for a three-day visit and to launch a new strategic partnership with France. The new Franco-Russian embrace is marked by major arms sales, a space deal, lucrative energy contracts, and greater market access—all under the banner of a blossoming personal relationship between Mr. Medvedev and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Big Ben
7th October 2010, 08:07
I can't forsee first GP win but I see a Nobel Prize coming his way. WTF, if Obama got one why shouldn't he?

SGWilko
7th October 2010, 09:35
Renault made it seem as if a deal was imminent. At least that was the sense of urgency that Mr. Genai Capital portrayed. It was as if they were going to meet face-to-face and cut a deal.

Did they? When. Boulier said he wanted to meet with KR face to face to see how serious he was about a drive, and that he was flattered KR showed an interest.

Jeez, I've seen bigger storms in an espresso cup.....

ArrowsFA1
7th October 2010, 09:48
Oh dear. All a load of fuss over the media needing to have a story while there's no racing.

Not quite sure why Kimi felt the need to speak out so strongly, but I guess he was only responding to media questions.

Retro Formula 1
7th October 2010, 10:27
Shock! Horror!

Politics and gamesmanship in F1!

Hold the front pages :s hock:

CNR
7th October 2010, 11:14
http://rt.com/Sport/2010-10-07/kubica-petrov-raikkonen-renault.html
Kubica upset that Raikkonen won’t replace Petrov at Renault F1

"Somehow I'm a bit disappointed because I would have been very pleased with him together in the team. He's a great driver and to have a World Champion driver as a team-mate would be really good and I think that's what Renault needs as well. But apparently it wasn't the case and I don't really know what to say,” Kubica told Reuters news agency.

DexDexter
7th October 2010, 11:19
Oh dear. All a load of fuss over the media needing to have a story while there's no racing.

Not quite sure why Kimi felt the need to speak out so strongly, but I guess he was only responding to media questions.

I don't know whether it was "strong", he spoke to a Finnish newspaper and we have a habit of saying things as they are. Then it got translated into English and suddenly the tone seems stronger.