PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Mark Webber!! >>> WDC thread! :)

maximilian
13th September 2010, 17:04
With the title battle still wide open and exciting, I am heavily pulling for Webbo. He's been one of my favorites for a long time, and I would really like him to win the Championship this year. It's his best chance ever... probably his last and only chance. At his age, and with rumors about retirement after 2011, now is the time for him.

His 4 rivals are doing a great job fighting for the title, would be worthy champions and earned my respect regardless of whether I favor them or not - But all except Vettel already have their WDC, and I am pretty sure Vettel and the others will get more championships in the future, given their ages. So... I really hope 2010 goes to my sentimental favorite. I'd love to see him ride into the sunset with the title under his belt! :cool:

This thread is meant to say "GOOD LUCK MARK!" Please join me in wishing Mark all the best and support his Championship challenge. :)

Sonic
13th September 2010, 18:18
With the title battle still wide open and exciting, I am heavily pulling for Webbo. He's been one of my favorites for a long time, and I would really like him to win the Championship this year. It's his best chance ever... probably his last and only chance. At his age, and with rumors about retirement after 2011, now is the time for him.

His 4 rivals are doing a great job fighting for the title, would be worthy champions and earned my respect regardless of whether I favor them or not - But all except Vettel already have their WDC, and I am pretty sure Vettel and the others will get more championships in the future, given their ages. So... I really hope 2010 goes to my sentimental favorite. I'd love to see him ride into the sunset with the title under his belt! :cool:

This thread is meant to say "GOOD LUCK MARK!" Please join me in wishing Mark all the best and support his Championship challenge. :)

It's wicked to see him doing so well and it'll be awesome if a former Brands instructor can lift the WDC - a proper zero to hero story.

I've seen a new Mark recently where, other than in oz, he's held it together on days that have gone against him - like monza. Two years ago he might have tangled with hulk.

F1boat
13th September 2010, 21:11
Although I support Ferrari first, I join you simply because Mark deserves it and is a very likable racer! Good luck, Mark!

steveaki13
13th September 2010, 21:54
I like many others am actually supporting Lewis or Jenson for the title, however if its not a Mclaren driver then Mark gets my vote.

Above all though I am an F1 fan and think it would be great if Mark won it.

So I join you and wish Mark good luck.

Ari
14th September 2010, 00:53
Great thread, obviously. :)

Mark has done well to drive a number of sheds in his career and still stay in the game. Has another driver driven for so long in so many sheds without being shown the door?

What a class we have this year though! Lewis, Jenson, Fonzi, Seb...... whoever wins the championship this year will be a worthy winner I'm sure.

Webber has shown this year that he has what it takes. Has ranked in the points in all but one race where he ranked in the clouds!

Webber has done what was required in the last 2 races and that was to get a handful of points. Now he just has to pilot his RB6 around the likeable circuits to finish the year off.

Saint Devote
14th September 2010, 02:42
The difference is that Webber has learnt when to be aggressive and when to consolidate.

I think the RB6 suits his style fo driving and he began the season in full fitness as opposed to 2009.

He has been around a long time and that gains a driver experience that is impossible for a younger inexperienced driver to have.

He is also a driver that relishes and performs better when under extreme pressure - he does not crack and that is something that even great champions of the past have not had.

Most important, since Silverstone he has been racking up points at a rate TWICE that of the man doing the next best job since then, Alonso.

Webber started the year off just horrible and in Australia he looked worse than ever, but I reckon together with his life partner Ann and his close friend and coach - whose name I think is Martin - dont remember - sat down and he pulled himself together.

He deserves a championship for being the driver that he is, that he leads on wins right now and because this would be such a wonderful story again for F1, just like the Jense-Brawn story.

Your REALLY, cant write this stuff!

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 02:52
Great thread, obviously. :)

Mark has done well to drive a number of sheds in his career and still stay in the game. Has another driver driven for so long in so many sheds without being shown the door?

What a class we have this year though! Lewis, Jenson, Fonzi, Seb...... whoever wins the championship this year will be a worthy winner I'm sure.

Webber has shown this year that he has what it takes. Has ranked in the points in all but one race where he ranked in the clouds!

Webber has done what was required in the last 2 races and that was to get a handful of points. Now he just has to pilot his RB6 around the likeable circuits to finish the year off.

I was most concerned when he was told that Hulkenberg wasn't going to give him his place and he would have to go out and take it. I thought :uhoh: he will end up stacking it against Hulkenberg. As it turned out, when Mark made the move, he was very decisive and somewhat aggresive, but gave Hulkenberg no chance to brake on the clean line, making him brake early while Mark braked late. It was a very calculated move, and I was glad that he got the extra point.

I was also very happy that Vettel managed to claim 4th place, thereby consigning all those silly "team orders and/or conspiracy theories" to the recycle bin.

I always felt that Mark was a better driver than his cars allowed him to be. I just wish he would have a chance to race for Ferrari before he retires - that is my dream.

Mark
14th September 2010, 08:01
I like many others am actually supporting Lewis or Jenson for the title, however if its not a Mclaren driver then Mark gets my vote.

Above all though I am an F1 fan and think it would be great if Mark won it.

So I join you and wish Mark good luck.

Same here! I'd love to see Webber become World Champ! He's been seen as a number 2 and 'also-ran' for years so for him to win the championship would be bonzer!

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 08:51
Same here! I'd love to see Webber become World Champ! He's been seen as a number 2 and 'also-ran' for years so for him to win the championship would be bonzer!

I'll put an extra prawn on the barbie for you :p :

Mia 01
14th September 2010, 09:04
If Mark takes the WDC I will be very happy, and also happy for RBR.

Mark is a straightforward man with honour.

pino
14th September 2010, 09:29
Good luck Mark :up: I wish you to finish on the podium in each race left of this season... ;)

DexDexter
14th September 2010, 09:33
I'm cheering for Mark as well, it would be so sweet to see him take the title!

Retro Formula 1
14th September 2010, 10:57
Well, I'm willing on anyone over Mark at the moment because I want a McLaren driver to take the Championship and will do until the title is won.

Saying that, if it isn't a McLaren driver that wins the WDC, I would be overjoyed if Mark wins the title. He has had the best car this year but has performed solidly.

jens
14th September 2010, 11:26
Webber's career is a great story of an underdog driver. If he caps it off with a WDC in a tightly-fought season after a miserable start into the season (a'la Massa 2008) and an alleged status of a #2 driver, it would be a memorable achievement. Not to mention that he is quite an interesting character. My second preference for this year's WDC.

Saint Devote
14th September 2010, 12:15
Then RBR had better take heed of Briatore's advice at Monza that from Marina Bay onwards they had better decide to support Webber because the championship is close and they have to stop the RBR drivers from taking points off each other.

Yes, he is Webber's manager, but he is also a former team principle that engineered consecutive world titles for Schumacher and Alonso - this man knows what he is talking about.

I reckon that given the RB6 advantage, if RBR do NOT win, then there will be seismic movements at RBR - with Adrian Newey, there is at best weak excuse WHY titles will not be won.

Mateschitz will not be happy to put it mildly and in my view if RBR fail, it will be a disgrace.

Sonic
14th September 2010, 13:08
Then RBR had better take heed of Briatore's advice at Monza that from Marina Bay onwards they had better decide to support Webber because the championship is close and they have to stop the RBR drivers from taking points off each other.

Yes, he is Webber's manager, but he is also a former team principle that engineered consecutive world titles for Schumacher and Alonso - this man knows what he is talking about.

I reckon that given the RB6 advantage, if RBR do NOT win, then there will be seismic movements at RBR - with Adrian Newey, there is at best weak excuse WHY titles will not be won.

Mateschitz will not be happy to put it mildly and in my view if RBR fail, it will be a disgrace.

I agree with you, but following RBR's very vocal and public statements on team orders it simply will not happen. At least not until one driver is mathematically out of it.

My personal view is that it should be left for a race, maybe two, before the team throws it weight behind Webber. After all under the old points system Vettel is less than 10 points behind, which is peanuts.

Ferrari hold the advantage in this area - it's like the good old days.

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 01:42
I agree with you, but following RBR's very vocal and public statements on team orders it simply will not happen. At least not until one driver is mathematically out of it.

My personal view is that it should be left for a race, maybe two, before the team throws it weight behind Webber. After all under the old points system Vettel is less than 10 points behind, which is peanuts.

Ferrari hold the advantage in this area - it's like the good old days.

You are right, RBR will leave things alone for a while longer.

And one forgets that the first five drivers are actually pretty close under the old scoring system.

And since Silverstone both Webber and Alonso's rate of point scoring have been higher - especially the Aussie's - than the three other title contenders.

Ari
15th September 2010, 02:38
As much as I want to see RBR throw themselves behind Webber there is also a certain level of satisfaction if they end up doing it at a point where Vettel is absolutely gawn.

Should Vettel DNF and Webber win at Singapore then at that point absolutely RBR need to sit down with Vettel and deliver the bad news.

Valve Bounce
15th September 2010, 03:05
As much as I want to see RBR throw themselves behind Webber there is also a certain level of satisfaction if they end up doing it at a point where Vettel is absolutely gawn.

Should Vettel DNF and Webber win at Singapore then at that point absolutely RBR need to sit down with Vettel and deliver the bad news.

There are degrees of support, I guess. Does support mean Vettel is asked to duel with Webber in a manner where he does not steer his car into Webber or does it mean he runs behind Webber preventing opponents from attacking him?

I can see the first option being agreed to, but the second option ??????????????????????

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 04:09
There are degrees of support, I guess. Does support mean Vettel is asked to duel with Webber in a manner where he does not steer his car into Webber or does it mean he runs behind Webber preventing opponents from attacking him?

I can see the first option being agreed to, but the second option ??????????????????????

Vettel will have no problem with that because he will know that in 2011 if the situation is reversed, then Webber will be required to reciprocate.

And it will not stop vettel doing what he knows he can do so well, and that is winning from pole position - remember he is still the quickest driver in f1 and has won 11 out of the last 31 pole positions and has won 5 out of 7 victories from that position.

Anyway, when the RB6 runs well, the only competition is between Webber and Vettel.

The most important thing is that they not take points off each other. At the recent scoring rate, Alonso would quickly move into the title lead.

Ari
15th September 2010, 04:45
Vettel will have no problem with that because he will know that in 2011 if the situation is reversed, then Webber will be required to reciprocate.

And it will not stop vettel doing what he knows he can do so well, and that is winning from pole position - remember he is still the quickest driver in f1 and has won 11 out of the last 31 pole positions and has won 5 out of 7 victories from that position.

Anyway, when the RB6 runs well, the only competition is between Webber and Vettel.

The most important thing is that they not take points off each other. At the recent scoring rate, Alonso would quickly move into the title lead.

It's a difficult situation.

I think Vettel is faster than Webber on single lap pace. Yet Webber is smarter and more reliable in a race. It's actually not a good situation for Red Bull!!

F1boat
15th September 2010, 06:50
Yes, it is quite close...

Warriwa
15th September 2010, 08:06
I think Webbers race pace has been fantastic. During the last two races there has always been somebody in front holding him up a little. Vettel is fantastic at quali and a great starter which has me a little worried for the final five races. I often wonder just how much the 17kg weight difference between Vettel and Webber affects the drag run to the first corner.

Valve Bounce
15th September 2010, 10:34
I think Webbers race pace has been fantastic. During the last two races there has always been somebody in front holding him up a little. Vettel is fantastic at quali and a great starter which has me a little worried for the final five races. I often wonder just how much the 17kg weight difference between Vettel and Webber affects the drag run to the first corner.

Where do you get the 17kg weight differrence? I'm confused. :confused:

Warriwa
15th September 2010, 10:51
I get those weights from ESPN F1 live.com. The site lists Mark's weight as 75kg and Sebastian's as 58kg. That much weight will always be a handicap for Mark.

Valve Bounce
15th September 2010, 10:55
I get those weights from ESPN F1 live.com. The site lists Mark's weight as 75kg and Sebastian's as 58kg. That much weight will always be a handicap for Mark.

You don't think that the cars all weigh the same at the startline by careful use of ballast to compensate for some drivers being heavier than others?

Warriwa
15th September 2010, 11:08
I did not know that the cars including driver all weighed the same on the start line. My apologies. I am no expert. Now i feel rather foolish. Thanks for setting me straight. I have learned a lot from this forum.

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 11:35
It's a difficult situation.

I think Vettel is faster than Webber on single lap pace. Yet Webber is smarter and more reliable in a race. It's actually not a good situation for Red Bull!!

You are right - but I would add that Vettel is the best qualifier in f1 riday. That qualifying effort at Suzuka 2009 was Senna-like.

Hamilton understands Vettel best I think given what he said at Monza. Based on that, I do not think Vettel is the RBR candidate for champion this year and then given what Briatore said - Mateschitz should make it quite clear that the effort must support Webber primarily from now.

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 11:45
I did not know that the cars including driver all weighed the same on the start line. My apologies. I am no expert. Now i feel rather foolish. Thanks for setting me straight. I have learned a lot from this forum.

There are no experts here and dont feel foolish.

Just join in if you love motor racing :D

Saint Devote
15th September 2010, 11:50
You don't think that the cars all weigh the same at the startline by careful use of ballast to compensate for some drivers being heavier than others?

There is the higher minimum weight this season - but I reckon the cars of Kubica, Petrov and Webber as well as Button are all heavier because they are tall drivers.

Warriwa
15th September 2010, 12:17
They can't be. Valve Bounce has already stated that all cars weigh the same on the start line.

maximilian
15th September 2010, 12:51
Vastly off-topic now. This thread is about wishing Mark Webber good luck on his title challenge! ;)

pino
15th September 2010, 13:17
This thread is about wishing Mark Webber good luck on his title challenge! ;)

Exactly :up: so please let's stay on that !

steveaki13
15th September 2010, 18:06
There are no experts here and dont feel foolish.

Just join in if you love motor racing :D

Spot On

i_max2k2
16th September 2010, 00:10
Yep he's my favorite for the title race as well, he seems a lot similar to Massa in 2008, and both are nice guys, so hopefully after all the turns and twists we will see Webber come out on top!

Saint Devote
16th September 2010, 01:16
Yep he's my favorite for the title race as well, he seems a lot similar to Massa in 2008, and both are nice guys, so hopefully after all the turns and twists we will see Webber come out on top!

Webber is nothing like Massa - he can and has gotten out the elbows before. Also he quickly stepped in and whacked on the head any idea that Vettel is number 1. The German driver may be the favored son, but thats as far as it goes.

Webber is no "nice guy" in f1, just ask Fernando Alonso.

i_max2k2
16th September 2010, 02:54
Webber is nothing like Massa - he can and has gotten out the elbows before. Also he quickly stepped in and whacked on the head any idea that Vettel is number 1. The German driver may be the favored son, but thats as far as it goes.

Webber is no "nice guy" in f1, just ask Fernando Alonso.

I kind of agree, but I also meant Massa's season competing for the WDC of 08, starting badly and putting in some good performances later.

Valve Bounce
16th September 2010, 04:13
My apologies. I am no expert. Now i feel rather foolish. Thanks for setting me straight. I have learned a lot from this forum.

Nah! don't be silly. Welcome to the forum. As long as you don't tell me you are a Collingwood supporter, you're forgiven. :D

maximilian
16th September 2010, 13:02
Nah! don't be silly. Welcome to the forum. As long as you don't tell me you are a Collingwood supporter, you're forgiven. :D
Anybody know if Mark Webber has a favorite footy team? ;) I am partial to the Lions myself... :s mokin:

Saint Devote
17th September 2010, 00:51
I kind of agree, but I also meant Massa's season competing for the WDC of 08, starting badly and putting in some good performances later.

That yes. Webber began in Australia driving worse than ever. But even since his advantage while Vettel had a sub-par car, Webber has become the driver of the year without doubt.

And since Silverstone he has been scoring points at a rate of 2 to 1 compared to ALL the other drivers at the front.

I will go so far as to say that Webber is the only driver this year that LOOKS like a champion in the making.

The Aussie is driving exceptionally well and cannily too.

Roamy
17th September 2010, 02:34
Webber will cut his own path to the end. Good luck to him - he is a real tough competitor for his foes. I am rooting for Alonso because of the history of the cheater but if Alonso doesn't make it Webber is my next hero.

ShiftingGears
17th September 2010, 02:46
He is my favourite driver and I hope he wins the championship this year. Either way, I think it will be decided in the final race this year.

Saint Devote
17th September 2010, 03:17
To me a championship is not important. Sure I am happy of the driver I support wins - but for me, winning grands prix are for more appealing, after all its what the sport is about.

I do not approve that perhaps these days winning a grand prix is merely a significant step towards.

During the days when those two sour balls Prost and Senna won they always looked utterly miserable.

Schumi of course was just the greatest at celebrating and Jense always glows with happiness!

Rollo
17th September 2010, 03:35
multiple window error

Ari
17th September 2010, 07:27

He's more of a Rugby League kinda guy!

Was even checking the scores for his team the Canberra Raiders during Monza quali!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-preview/the-green-light-never-goes-out-for-webber-20100916-15eqk.html

PS: GO BOMBERS! :D

Gibbsy
19th September 2010, 13:43

CARN PIES!

maximilian
25th September 2010, 01:11
Good luck for Singapore, Mark!! :)

Valve Bounce
25th September 2010, 01:21
Bump! Good luck for Singapore, Mark!! :)

I wish you hadn't said "bump"

maximilian
25th September 2010, 01:27
I wish you hadn't said "bump"
No worries ;) Now I never did! ;)

maximilian
26th September 2010, 15:41
Now you know why I said "bump!" :D

Mia 01
26th September 2010, 16:36
Mark will do it.

F1boat
26th September 2010, 16:54
Mark was lucky today, but he needs to improve, IMO he was quite nervous the whole weekend and failed to reveal his true pace.

Rodster
26th September 2010, 17:06
Please dear god anybody but Fred. :)

F1boat
26th September 2010, 17:11

Naah, Fred is teh best :D But I still would be happy for Webbo.

Sonic
26th September 2010, 17:12

Seconded.

F1boat
26th September 2010, 17:14
haterz

donKey jote
26th September 2010, 17:25
hehe ^^

well if it isn't Fred then I hope it's Murk. Make a nice swansong story too. :)

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2010, 17:29

I second this. (as you can probably guess)

Up until monza I havn't felt Alonso has done much worthy of a world championship this year, whereas Hamilton and Webber have. (well, Lewis up to and including spa at least)

jens
26th September 2010, 18:56
It is often said that 2010 is probably Webber's only chance to win the WDC, but I don't see a reason, why RBR shouldn't be a top team in 2011 as well unless they cock up with the Pirelli tyres.

Dave B
26th September 2010, 19:27
I second this. (as you can probably guess)

Up until monza I havn't felt Alonso has done much worthy of a world championship this year, whereas Hamilton and Webber have. (well, Lewis up to and including spa at least)
TBH I actually though that this was the first race where Alonso really shone. In Monza he had the quickest car by a country mile yet still couldn't pass Button on the racetrack. He made 4 (admittedly minor) errors that I counted verses none from Jenson, and IMO only won because of the car's inherent pace.

Today in Singapore he genuinely had an answer to everything Vettel could throw at him, and his start was aggresive without being dangerous.

I hope he doesn't clinch the title, obviously, but if he continues to drive like he did today then he probably deserves it.

maximilian
26th September 2010, 22:58
Alonso would only deserve the title if he wins it with more than 8 points gap to second.

Tazio
27th September 2010, 07:36
Alonso would only deserve the title if he wins it with more than 8 points gap to second.

You’re entitled to your opinion. I’m willing to wager you’re not the only enthusiast that feels this way.
I think I will accept whoever wins as the champ! Even if I think he achieved it by less than scrupulous means.
But that is only my opinion.

Of the pilots that don't drive a red car;
I was pulling for Vettel, but after I heard his radio transmission asking if his team was F***ing with him after they told him they were checking his telemetry when he thought he had an engine problem at Monza I've lost a lot of my affinity for him. He drops down one notch on my wish list, and I will throw in with Mark!

SV's comment is about 2/5ths the way in!
And it pissed Horner off.

http://www.formula1.com/video/?inptC=Italy&inptY=2010&inptT=Race%20Edit

Big Ben
27th September 2010, 08:00

really? is that a new rule? Of course he might have to beat JB in triathlon to be a deserving champion in someone else's book or be adopted by Schumi... or be British... but I doubt he can do them all so I quess he'll be a deserving champion just for some... the fans and the impartial ones

Dave B
27th September 2010, 08:47
I agree he never should have been allowed to keep the points he gained when Ferrari cheated, but it seems that 7 points cost you just $100,000 so I guess it's a price worth paying :(

F1boat
27th September 2010, 13:59
Rubbish. Alonso benefited from team strategy and that's OK for me.

Dave B
27th September 2010, 14:16
Rubbish right back atcha! :p

They were found guilty of using banned team orders. Alonso benefited to the tune of 7 points, which inexpicably the WMSC didn't relieve him of.

$14,286 per point. That's chicken feed. I'd cheat too for that price.

maximilian
27th September 2010, 14:17
Alonso benefited from a breach of the rules, and as such did not earn the extra 7 points. Anyways, that's once again wildly off topic, let's get back to wishing Mark Webber the best! ;)

Firstgear
27th September 2010, 15:03
Rubbish. Alonso benefited from team strategy and that's OK for me.
So you'd have no problem if you had heard this yesterday during the race - "Seb, Mark is faster than you. Confirm you understand this cleverly coded message. Oh.....and sorry."

Tazio
27th September 2010, 15:20
So you'd have no problem if you had heard this yesterday during the race - "Seb, Mark is faster than you. Confirm you understand this cleverly coded message. Oh.....and sorry."

I absolutely would not.
And it will happen with both McLaren and the Bulls.
Actually I think it would be wise (since the penalty decision has been handed down) to wait until the end of the season to express a definitive opinion, since we still have time for even more egregious transgressions. :dozey:

But then again Mark wasn't exactly beeing slowed down by Kettle.
And had over 2 Kilometers to make up to state that case. :dozey: :dozey:

F1boat
27th September 2010, 20:09
Rubbish right back atcha! :p

They were found guilty of using banned team orders. Alonso benefited to the tune of 7 points, which inexpicably the WMSC didn't relieve him of.

$14,286 per point. That's chicken feed. I'd cheat too for that price.

Funny that you agree with FIA about that there is a crime, but you disagree about the penalty. According to your logic the team was penalised for their breach, so now all is clear ;)

F1boat
27th September 2010, 20:11

From what I understand, Red Bull promised equality to their drivers, while the newspapers reported a certain clause which guaranteed easy new contract for Massa. So no, I won't be OK for RBR team orders, especially not in a vastly different situation which was yesterday between the Bulls and in Germany between the Ferrari drivers.
Although the face of Seb would be priceless :D