PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher could BUY Toro Rosso - Weber

Giuseppe F1
9th March 2007, 21:49
Interesting... if Weber says "Schumacher will never run Ferrari, why would he want the stress"....well, surely running the whole of Toro Rosso would be stressfull for him as Schueys undeniable commitment, passion and hard work would mean he would want to succeed/win - Lets see, hey:

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070309092423.shtml

Schumacher could buy Toro Rosso -
Weber can see Schumacher as team owner
09/03/07 09:24

Schumacher and Weber planning something?

Michael Schumacher's manager has hinted that the retired seven time world champion might buy a team.

38-year-old Schumacher is already an advisor for Ferrari, but he could be eyeing up a stake in F1's other Italian based team - Scuderia Toro Rosso.

"Perhaps we will go and ask a billionaire if he wants to sell us his spare team," the newspaper AZ quoted Schumacher's long time associate Willi Weber - who already runs a team in the A1GP series - as saying.

Alongside former Grand Prix winner Gerhard Berger, Toro Rosso - formerly the Minardi squad - is owned by Red Bull's Dietrich Mateschitz, who has been ranked 287th on Forbes magazine's list of billionaires in 2007.

Weber added: "I don't know it for sure, but I could imagine that Michael buys a team. But he is never going to be Ferrari's team boss."

"All that responsibility, work and stress - why would Michael Schumacher want to do that? But if he owned a team, it would be a different task."

Source GMM
CAPSIS International

futuretiger9
9th March 2007, 22:52
I somehow can't see Michael being just a team owner or shareholder - he would surely want to have a hands-on role in any operation. Before commiting himself to a project, he would also like to be sure that it was going to work.

This latest report could just be a flight of fancy from Willi Weber, or then again maybe he's putting feelers out on behalf of Schumi...

Heidfeldrulez
10th March 2007, 22:37
he certainly got what it takes to be a successful F1 teamboss, plenty of money and a vast amount of relevant experience. Plus he is a workocholic and professionalist.

Fact of a matter, I cant think of anyone who would make a better boss/owner/key figure in an F1 team. And its safe to guess that only creme-de-la-creme talents would stand a chance in his team which would be great for the sport

cos
11th March 2007, 02:05
he certainly got what it takes to be a successful F1 teamboss, plenty of money and a vast amount of relevant experience. Plus he is a workocholic and professionalist.

As was Prost...

V12
11th March 2007, 07:10
As was Prost...

Interesting...In football it's common that great players make poor managers and vice-versa, with a few exceptions, perhaps the same applies here too. Frank Williams and Enzo Ferrari both amounted to little as drivers before building their team empires. I would say this story is speculation and nothing more, although I for one would be interested in how Schuey got on if he did decide to turn his hand to running a team

tinchote
11th March 2007, 09:47
As was Prost...

Indeed.

Heidfeldrulez
11th March 2007, 13:18
As was Prost...

good point, but I think the major difference between the two is team-work. Prost was a professionalist for real but he was hardly the motivator and team-leader personality that MS is. Prost was more of a whiner when things went wrong, MS on the other hand kept the team together perfectly.

Its hard not too see that what MS did in Maranello was team-buliding on the highest level (even if he was just a driver) So that differentiates him from Prost and indeed from any other driver.

K-Pu
11th March 2007, 17:21
If he runs a team IŽd like to see it.

After seeing what Prost did, It would be nice to have a successful driver becoming a successful leader.

futuretiger9
11th March 2007, 19:02
Schumacher might fall prey to the same problem which afflicts great sportspeople who try to become managers or coaches. They become frustrated by those who have less ability than they had. I wonder whether Michael has the mentality to overcome this obstacle. It would be fascinating to see.

ClarkFan
12th March 2007, 02:22
If he runs a team IŽd like to see it.

After seeing what Prost did, It would be nice to have a successful driver becoming a successful leader.

Well, there was Jack Brabham. And Bruce McLaren did pretty well, too.

ClarkFan

Hawkmoon
12th March 2007, 05:39
Well, there was Jack Brabham. And Bruce McLaren did pretty well, too.

ClarkFan

You can probably throw Dan Gurney into that mix as well. Ofcourse, on the flip side you have John Surtees and Graham Hill. Jackie Stewart also has to be considered and let's not forget that Torro Rosso is run by Gerhard Berger, though the jury is still out on him.

So it would seem that it's pretty hit and miss when it comes to good/great ex-drivers running their own teams.

Tom206wrc
12th March 2007, 15:32
When i first read the title and the message of this thread I thought it was about a partnership between Schumacher and WebBer(Mark of course) :laugh:

That looked quite odd to me :p :