PDA

View Full Version : Lotus-Renault

ArrowsFA1
13th September 2010, 08:34
On the BBC after the race Tony Fernandez all but confirmed that Lotus would be running Renault engines next year. His team have also apparently purchased the rights to the 'Team Lotus' name from David Hunt.

Cosworth has announced that it has reached an agreement to end its current engine supply deal with the Lotus team.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86677

Dr. Krogshöj
13th September 2010, 08:47
Also, Mark Smith is designing the 2011 car. And Renault will provide the whole drivetrain, not just the engine. This kind of deal did wonders for Force India.

Sonic
13th September 2010, 09:31
Lotus Renault is not quite as evocative as the cossie combo but with KERS returning I can see the appeal of manufacture backing.

Ranger
13th September 2010, 09:38
Also, Mark Smith is designing the 2011 car. And Renault will provide the whole drivetrain, not just the engine. This kind of deal did wonders for Force India.

So where does that leave Gascoyne?

truefan72
13th September 2010, 10:03

hopefully out

Mark
13th September 2010, 10:07
Of course we all speculated that they only took Cosworth engines because Mosley insisted upon it to allow their entry.

Saint Devote
13th September 2010, 10:53
I think this is long term planning because the engine regulations are soon to change and as cars become more complex to design for the following season, the time period is also lengthening.

So what better decision than to link with the Regie?

Whose KERS system is to used? Williams to me was a far more natural fit than Lotus because they have continued to develop their KERS.

On the other hand, it will allow Cosworth to devote more resources to collaborate with Didcot.

Saint Devote
13th September 2010, 10:57

Gascoyne is an enigma with the biggest ego in the paddock. He believes he is a legend and the teams he left would have won if he had stayed.

He may be Gascoyne, but he is no Gazza!

CNR
13th September 2010, 11:58
Of course we all speculated that they only took Cosworth engines because Mosley insisted upon it to allow their entry.

they will use up the 3 years of cosworth engines
The T125 is powered by a 3.5-litre Cosworth V8

Sleeper
13th September 2010, 12:19

Smith doesnt join Lotus until the end of the season, until then he's on gardening leave from Force India.

Sleeper
13th September 2010, 12:19

As Smiths boss.

ioan
13th September 2010, 17:27
As Smiths boss.

Exactly. :)
I find it funny how people are already attacking Gascoyne.

steveaki13
13th September 2010, 17:58
Could be a good move for Lotus, many get them on the way to bridging the remaining gap to the mid field.
Lets hope so, be nice to see Lotus scoring some points.

Jag_Warrior
13th September 2010, 19:14
Could be a good move for Lotus, many get them on the way to bridging the remaining gap to the mid field.
Lets hope so, be nice to see Lotus scoring some points.

Even though I still have trouble accepting this version of Lotus as the "real" Lotus, I feel the same. Despite Williams' recent performance, Lotus going with Renault engines certainly couldn't hurt... and it might help. At the very least, it allows them a good chance to separate themselves from the (other) backmarkers.

steveaki13
13th September 2010, 19:35
Even though I still have trouble accepting this version of Lotus as the "real" Lotus, I feel the same. Despite Williams' recent performance, Lotus going with Renault engines certainly couldn't hurt... and it might help. At the very least, it allows them a good chance to separate themselves from the (other) backmarkers.

Yep

Hawkmoon
14th September 2010, 05:27
To hear Christian Horner tell it the Renault is an underpowered piece of crap. I guess Lotus see things differently.

Roamy
14th September 2010, 07:37
To hear Christian Horner tell it the Renault is an underpowered piece of crap. I guess Lotus see things differently.

Well I would imagine he could switch to Cosworth. Hulk likes the motor.

DexDexter
14th September 2010, 07:58
Great news for Lotus, one of the major reasons why they decided to change was the fact that Renault was willing to supply them with the drivetrain as well. The bulk-drivetrain the new teams have is heavy and unreliable. I don't think the Cosworth engine is far off though...

Mark
14th September 2010, 08:11

Which has been the case for a while, but they don't seem to be doing too badly with it!

jens
14th September 2010, 11:21
Well, I'm not sure Renault engine is more powerful than Cosworth, but as the Fernandes & Co have mentioned, the issue isn't about the engine itself, but about the rest of the package. So quite a logical choice.

Like the whole team, I'm already waiting for 2011. Would be great if they managed a major rise to challenge for a Q3 spot on an occasion. It will be a great challenge for the team to build on what can be considered to be a testing year in 2010. Can they prove themselves as a promising up-and-comer?

Sleeper
14th September 2010, 23:29

From what I've read on the ITV website its all about the gearbox, the one that comes with the Cosworth is bulky and the main reason why the new teams are so unreliable (Williams build their own box). Renault dont give away boxs without engines and Lotus can get KERS whilst they're at it so its a no-brainer.

DexDexter
15th September 2010, 08:22
From what I've read on the ITV website its all about the gearbox, the one that comes with the Cosworth is bulky and the main reason why the new teams are so unreliable (Williams build their own box). Renault dont give away boxs without engines and Lotus can get KERS whilst they're at it so its a no-brainer.

Yep, that's what I've heard Heikki saying since Melbourne.

Jag_Warrior
15th September 2010, 19:55
Great news for Lotus, one of the major reasons why they decided to change was the fact that Renault was willing to supply them with the drivetrain as well. The bulk-drivetrain the new teams have is heavy and unreliable. I don't think the Cosworth engine is far off though...

Excellent point. It may not be the Cosworth engine that they're really trying to ditch. It does seem that we've seen more drivetrain failures than pure (Cosworth) engine failures from the FIA discount package.

Robinho
15th September 2010, 19:58
Gascoyne is an enigma with the biggest ego in the paddock. He believes he is a legend and the teams he left would have won if he had stayed.

He may be Gascoyne, but he is no Gazza!

What have you acheived in motorsport or F1?

Who are you to attack a highly successful and respected member of the F1 paddock?

Show some respect buddy boy

Jag_Warrior
15th September 2010, 20:06

Who are you to attack a highly successful and respected member of the F1 paddock?

It's not worth it, Robinho. Trust me, it's not worth it. :dozey:

Robinho
15th September 2010, 20:27
aah, let me have my fun, its just me and the irony

gloomyDAY
15th September 2010, 22:55
http://minardi.freeblog.hu/files/07006034_rs27.jpg

gloomyDAY
15th September 2010, 22:57
I hope Lotus find their way out of the backfield with Renault.

Someone mentioned earlier that it did wonders for Force India to make a little technical alliance with McLaren and Mercedes. Well, I hope this goes well for Lotus because they're making all the right moves to be competitive next season.

Just wish the get rid of Trulli and put in an up-and-coming rookie.

jens
16th September 2010, 08:30
Just wish the get rid of Trulli and put in an up-and-coming rookie.

Yeah I have noticed that Trulli has become quite unpopular lately - 36 years old, rated as over-the-hill or average at best, at the back of the grid and as a result people see him as the first guy, who should leave F1 as soon as possible. Some have been calling for his head already for years, even though it never seems to be happening. :p : But can't blame them any more for that.

At least all of this is not important. What is important, is that Jarno has gelled with the team well, the team and especially Gascoyne rates him highly, he is doing the professional job he is expected to do in an up-and-coming team. If only the car improves significantly for 2011, then I could enjoy Trulli putting in some impressive performances and reminding the 'old days' again. And that's what matters to me.

2 more years left in his contract - don't know, what will happen then. Maybe indeed it will be all over then or perhaps he can impress enough and extend his career further like Barrichello seems to be doing endlessly.

wedge
16th September 2010, 14:12

SD's opinion is fair. Just because Pitbull enjoys his rapport with the media people seem to think he's a top designer. And to suggest he's "highly successful" is very, very debatable.

I am evil Homer
16th September 2010, 14:14
Indeed what "success" exactly? His Jordan was pretty good but we're talking 10 years ago now. He's not won a single championship so to call him "highly successful" is neiother partoicualrly accurate historically and certianly doesn't hold true for the last 5 years at least

Robinho
16th September 2010, 17:10
SD's opinion is fair. Just because Pitbull enjoys his rapport with the media people seem to think he's a top designer. And to suggest he's "highly successful" is very, very debatable.

hey, i'm no Gascoyne fan, he's done ok at a few teams and he proabbly knows his stuff, I was more pointing out the complete hypocrisy in STD's posting style, where he exalts anyone he sees fit to some deity level, rubbishing quite rudely anyone who dares speak out against them on the basis that this person has acheived a lot and therefore we must repsect everything they say and do, whilst on the other hand taking pot shots at others he decides are not worthy, currently Rubens, Hamilton and Gascoyne

Sleeper
16th September 2010, 17:12
Well he turned Renault into world champions and probably would have done the same for Toyota if the board werent so adament about doing things "the Japanese way".

jens
16th September 2010, 18:18
Gascoyne may not have been "highly successful", but remember he has never worked for the likes of McLaren, Ferrari or Williams, so he was always in kind of underdog teams and all he could do there together with the team was to try to improve and pull above their weight. And that's what he has done. Jordan, Benetton/Renault, Toyota, Force India - it can be argued all teams improved notably after his input. Renault later went on to win titles too, but Mike played a role in building up the basis for that. Gascoyne may be a tough character for some, but he is certainly very wise in technical matters.

wedge
16th September 2010, 23:09
Even with the partnership with McLaren Vijay Mallya saw fit to give Gascoyne his P45.

Jag_Warrior
19th September 2010, 02:19
Another plot twist?

Lotus to team with Toyota in 2011 (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=387191&FS=F1)

Toyota is currently supplying Pirelli with a 2009-spec test car, and has been linked with a technical collaboration for 2011 with HRT, the struggling Spanish team.

But Autosprint reports that Lotus and Toyota are in fact set to collaborate, with Mike Gascoyne proving the crucial link between the two outfits.

Several former members of Toyota's F1 team are now working with Lotus, such as sporting director Dieter Gass.

gloomyDAY
19th September 2010, 03:04
Lotus-Renault-Toyota?

That doesn't seem right.