PDA

View Full Version : Vettel's engine problem at Monza

N4D13
12th September 2010, 15:36
When Webber was trailing Vettel, the German suddenly slowed down, reporting problems with his engine, and lost a few seconds to Webbo, who managed to get past very quickly. However, Vettel's problem seemed to be fixed very soon and he returned to posting competitive lap times. Any clue about what could have happened?

It's strange to think that it could have been a RBR call to let Webbo through because he was running a different strategy, because Vettel lost a few seconds there which he wouldn't have lost if he had just let him through but, on the other hand, it's difficult that an engine problem could be automatically fixed just like that. Has RBR made any statement on this? What's your view?

Robinho
12th September 2010, 15:39
there is a whole discussion on this on the GP thread. Red Bull said a temporary problem, Vettel said they shanged back to the standard engine setting and the problem subsided.

Some people are calling Shenannigans, but that doesn't fit with the team getting Vettel back in front.

The telemetry will show if Vettel lifted off or of the engine did lose power, thats the only way we'll know for sure, but in this instance the conspiracy theory seems way too far fetched

steveaki13
12th September 2010, 15:41
Has already been disscussed enough in GP thread, but on BBC Christian Horner saying that the team think a rip off may have gone into the air box and cleared after a couple of laps. :confused:

ioan
12th September 2010, 15:59
The telemetry will show if Vettel lifted off or of the engine did lose power, thats the only way we'll know for sure, but in this instance the conspiracy theory seems way too far fetched

Who's going to check it though?

ioan
12th September 2010, 16:00
Has already been disscussed enough in GP thread, but on BBC Christian Horner saying that the team think a rip off may have gone into the air box and cleared after a couple of laps. :confused:

Funny guy this Horner, he really thinks everyone lacks common sense.

Robinho
12th September 2010, 16:00
the FIA if they think there was team orders in play?

The Renault engineers who may want to let us know what the actual probelm?

ioan
12th September 2010, 16:16
the FIA if they think there was team orders in play?

The Renault engineers who may want to let us know what the actual probelm?

Don't hold your breath on any of the above.

Anubis
12th September 2010, 17:42
Why does EVERYTHING have to be a conspiracy these days? Too much X-Files...

Robinho
12th September 2010, 18:37
no engine problem, but a stuck brake

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86668

will this be enough for people to accept? The team clearly had no idea what it was, they tried a different engine map and the car seemed to be fine. They though maybe it was a tear off stuck in the radiator, Vettel even said he thought there was "maybe some friction somewhere in the car" - the most accurate guess by anyone in the team.

ioan
12th September 2010, 18:47
no engine problem, but a stuck brake

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86668

will this be enough for people to accept? The team clearly had no idea what it was, they tried a different engine map and the car seemed to be fine. They though maybe it was a tear off stuck in the radiator, Vettel even said he thought there was "maybe some friction somewhere in the car" - the most accurate guess by anyone in the team.

Strange, given that they have sensors pretty much on each part of the car and they should have instantly know what the problem is.
Also strange that Vettel didn't realize that it was the brake not the engine, very strange. A dying engine does not behave like an engine that is being overloaded because of a stuck brake.

Not to mention that it took several braking zones until it got unstuck!

No, I can not believe this 2nd excuse after the one with the sublimating rip off. :\

Robinho
12th September 2010, 18:54
Vettel stated in the interview that he thought there was some friction in the car, and the brake would have felt like it was sapping power, the car would have strained against it, feeling like a loss of power.

it didn't take several braking zones, it got stuck in ascari chicane and he was overtaken by Webber before parabolica didn't he? so released in the straight before parabolica

ioan
12th September 2010, 19:00
Vettel stated in the interview that he thought there was some friction in the car, and the brake would have felt like it was sapping power, the car would have strained against it, feeling like a loss of power.

it didn't take several braking zones, it got stuck in ascari chicane and he was overtaken by Webber before parabolica didn't he? so released in the straight before parabolica

I'll have to check a replay before making a statement on the exact place where the problem occurred and Webber overtook him.

Z926A12
12th September 2010, 21:47
Why does EVERYTHING have to be a conspiracy these days? Too much X-Files...

some people want to believe?

Valve Bounce
13th September 2010, 01:08
Red Bull has an explanation - it's at autosport. I did remember that Vettel was still going slow after Mark passed him and the commentator reckoned that Massa was catching him.

I don't believe this was a conspiracy, but I'll leave that one to teh experts here.

Mia 01
13th September 2010, 09:26
Seb on the radio: Not bad for a No 2 driver huh.

Seb drove a good race, he deserved the fourth spot.

turismo6
13th September 2010, 09:35
I think the whole Vettel beating Mark at Monza should put the conspiracy to rest... but that's just me.

Valve Bounce
13th September 2010, 09:45
I think the whole Vettel beating Mark at Monza should put the conspiracy to rest... but that's just me.

Oh! why spoil the party? There's these conspiracy guys just wanting to put their 007 bits into the story. Why spoil a good story with the details? Let it flow man, let it flow!!

ioan
13th September 2010, 17:21
Red Bull has an explanation - it's at autosport. I did remember that Vettel was still going slow after Mark passed him and the commentator reckoned that Massa was catching him.

Strange because Massa was miles ahead. ;)

jens
14th September 2010, 10:51
Interesting that Vettel is quite efficient, calm and good at nursing sick cars to home (Bahrain, Spain, Canada), although this time the problem was only temporary. However, his mentality is a completely opposite story in battling with other cars...

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 14:11
Strange because Massa was miles ahead. ;)

I forget! so who was catching him after Webber passed him?
Gee! old age does strange things to my memory. :(

ioan
14th September 2010, 18:53
I forget! so who was catching him after Webber passed him?
Gee! old age does strange things to my memory. :(

MS.

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 21:27
MS.

Oh Yeah! now I remember :confused:

Garry Walker
15th September 2010, 14:36
So some people are actually thinking this was a team-order.

What stupidity.

f1kid1987
15th September 2010, 14:40
So some people are actually thinking this was a team-order.

What stupidity.

Yeh. I think they said on the BBC its was an electronic sencor failiure

ioan
15th September 2010, 17:30
Yeh. I think they said on the BBC its was an electronic sencor failiure

First a strange engine problem, than it was a visor protector that got into the airbox, than it was a brake problem and now an electronic failure sensor?!

Either RBR are crappy at engineering or crappy at lying. ;)

Sonic
15th September 2010, 17:40
First a strange engine problem, than it was a visor protector that got into the airbox, than it was a brake problem and now an electronic failure sensor?!

Either RBR are crappy at engineering or crappy at lying. ;)

Or both :D

ioan
15th September 2010, 18:33
Or both :D

Nah, they've built a great race car so it can't be both. ;)