PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race?

steveaki13
12th September 2010, 15:29
Well I think Jenson just gets it for me. Had a damaged car and held Alonso behind 35 or so laps. Made no mistakes only the pit stops cost him the win.

Alonso did a good job as well but did hit Button and didn't get very close to Button despite straight line speed advantage.

Others for a mention.

Massa
Rosberg
Glock

N4D13
12th September 2010, 15:36
I would say Alonso, but simply because he won the race. Jenson and Vettel did a really great job today too. However, I can't think of any driver who did a particularly surprising race.

Roamy
12th September 2010, 15:44
Yes Alonso - showed patience and speed with exceptional car control.

Oh yea and special mention to the 7 times world champ who just blasted his way forward to claim 9th place - some 20 seconds behind his teammate :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

steveaki13
12th September 2010, 15:48
Oh yea and special mention to the 7 times world champ who just blasted his way forward to claim 9th place - some 20 seconds behind his teammate :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know it wasn;t great, but Schumi has been that much slower than Rosberg all weekend, so you can't say "My God he's 20 seconds behind". It was always going to be that way this weekend.

He did a good job at the start, was actually ahead of both Red Bulls into turn 4, but lost it to Vettel there and then Webber as seen.

From then on, he was faster than those behind but not as fast as those ahead so couldn't do much after that.

ioan
12th September 2010, 15:49
Vettel.
He perfectly executed a team order and went on to beat his team mate, and get the best possible result given their car's competitiveness.

Button did great too with an impressively fast and combative start.

truefan72
12th September 2010, 15:51
Vettel.
He perfectly executed a team order and went on to beat his team mate, and get the best possible result given their car's competitiveness.

yep, that's how I see it

truefan72
12th September 2010, 15:51
a quiet nod to Rosberg too

ioan
12th September 2010, 15:58
I know it wasn;t great, but Schumi has been that much slower than Rosberg all weekend, so you can't say "My God he's 20 seconds behind". It was always going to be that way this weekend.

He did a good job at the start, was actually ahead of both Red Bulls into turn 4, but lost it to Vettel there and then Webber as seen.

From then on, he was faster than those behind but not as fast as those ahead so couldn't do much after that.

Cheers to that.

Robinho
12th September 2010, 15:59
i'd say Alonso if he hadn't hit Button in the 1st corner. for that i'll give it to Button for nearly holding out for a win in a damaged car.

mention for Vettel for recoevering from his engine problem to run a contrary strategy back in front of the pack

Ent
12th September 2010, 16:36
Rosberg for me. A great drive in the Merc for a well deserved fifth.

Special mentions for Alonso for doing exactly what was needed to win the race, for Vettel for a great drive after some early difficulties with his engine, and finally for Webber for overtaking on-track Schumacher, Kubica and Hulkenberg. Did any one else in the top 8 or so overtake even once on track after the first lap?

F1boat
12th September 2010, 16:41
Alonso!

DexDexter
12th September 2010, 16:46
Gotta give it to Alonso, drove an excellent race and just about earned his huge paycheck.

JBAFCB
12th September 2010, 16:54
I'd give it to Alonso also, though it pains me to say it, as he did exactly what he needed too after the start, stayed close to Jense and then nailed the lap when Jensie was pitting

For me Mclaren pitted to early, hindsights is a wonderful thing but I think anyone could see the Ferrari would go one more lap to jump them.

Jense did everything right though, perfect aggressive start, the only thing that cost him was the pit stop. Sets it up beautifully for the rest of the season

UltimateDanGTR
12th September 2010, 17:04
Alonso
Button

Anubis
12th September 2010, 17:39
I'm no Alonso fan, but I think he just shades it from Button for me, with a mention for Rosberg as well, as I think he's outperforming the equipment he has.

airshifter
12th September 2010, 18:24
Vettel.

All in all the top 8 or so drivers had very strong races, but I think you hit the top two picks with this post.

Sonic
12th September 2010, 19:01
Nico Rosberg for me too. You have to say that he out performed his car today considering it is now arguably only the 5th fastest package.

Good combative drive from Massa too - I was cheering him on through the first chicane.

Saint Devote
12th September 2010, 19:54
Jenson Button without doubt.

Saint Devote
12th September 2010, 19:59
I'd give it to Alonso also, though it pains me to say it, as he did exactly what he needed too after the start, stayed close to Jense and then nailed the lap when Jensie was pitting

For me Mclaren pitted to early, hindsights is a wonderful thing but I think anyone could see the Ferrari would go one more lap to jump them.

Jense did everything right though, perfect aggressive start, the only thing that cost him was the pit stop. Sets it up beautifully for the rest of the season

Without fuel stops the driver that pits FIRST now has the advantage compared to before.

It was a slow Mclaren pit crew that gifted Alonso a first place finish - he did not win, he finished first.

driveace
12th September 2010, 20:37
Jenson for me too ! Vettel drove a good race ,with nothing foolish today!

truefan72
12th September 2010, 21:47

you seem to forget that Alonso was on pole so he did not do what he needed to do by losing his pole position and then hitting the back of jenson's car, ruining part of the diffuser and then being unable to pass a compromised Mclaren with a higher downforce setting for the majority of the race. Hard to give him driver of the day

Sleeper
12th September 2010, 23:08
Alonso and Button, cant split them.

AJP
13th September 2010, 02:40
Button...went for the big wing instead of what everyone else wanted and it paid off..

well done, pity he didn't win.

Ari
13th September 2010, 02:44
Alonso and Vettel for mine.

race aficionado
13th September 2010, 02:46
Those darn fast pit crews!!!!!!
:s mokin:

Saint Devote
13th September 2010, 03:07
Button...went for the big wing instead of what everyone else wanted and it paid off..

well done, pity he didn't win.

Absolutely :D

Jenson had confidence in his ability to use the set up fully at a track like Monza where finesse is everything because ge is the qiuckest driver through medium speed corners.

The pity is that it is now the second race in a row that Button - a driver who is the most adept - has suffered because of the mistakes of other drivers - Vettel and Alonso.

It was the diffuser problem that led Mclaren to decide to change tyres when they did, when Jenson could have gone on for much longer. They assessed that the option - softer - tyres would be better and enable Jense to continue to maintain his lead despite the difficulty.

It made it worse and combined with the fumble by pit crew, he could not hold the lead and would not have been able to keep Alonso behind.

But at this stage losing all the points he may have had are tallying UP.

Valve Bounce
13th September 2010, 04:25
Alonso and Vettel for mine.

Me too. Fernando could have made a rash move on Bunsen many times and ended up scoring no points. He bided his time in the faster car, and with the assistance of super team work in his pit stop, just managed to pip Bunsen on exiting.

Vettel when he kept his cool, followed instructions from his pits to try to remedy whatever had gone wrong while still driving very fast, then deciding on a bold plan B which gained him 4th place.

Saint Devote
13th September 2010, 11:37
Me too. Fernando could have made a rash move on Bunsen many times and ended up scoring no points. He bided his time in the faster car, and with the assistance of super team work in his pit stop, just managed to pip Bunsen on exiting.

Vettel when he kept his cool, followed instructions from his pits to try to remedy whatever had gone wrong while still driving very fast, then deciding on a bold plan B which gained him 4th place.

At the start he biffed Jenson and broke the Mclaren's diffuser as well as damaging the Ferrari nose. Whats the difference between that and what Lewis did? The result? He could have taken himself as well as Jense, or even worse, Jenson out of the race.

He did not take a chance at Jenson? He could not because Jenson made no mistakes - these are the words of El Nano!

It seems that Vettel transferred his recent form to Hamilton!

Retro Formula 1
13th September 2010, 12:05
Button did a great job all weekend and was unlucky not to score the win.

Alonso was superb in the race apart from a minor indiscretion.

They both deserve the accolade.

Nico is really doing well this year and it's a pity there isn't a worthy team mate to rank him against. He might be doing an astonishing job this year but we can tell :(

Ranger
13th September 2010, 12:11
Dubious as his chicane-cutting may have been, Nico Hulkenberg was very impressive. His fastest lap was 0.7 seconds faster than Barrichello, who won the race last year.

ioan
13th September 2010, 17:23
Those darn fast pit crews!!!!!!
:s mokin:

I missed the part where they drive the cars. :p

ioan
13th September 2010, 17:24
Me too. Fernando could have made a rash move on Bunsen many times...

He made one at the start.

Saint Devote
14th September 2010, 03:31

:D Platinum star for you!

race aficionado
14th September 2010, 03:36
I missed the part where they drive the cars. :p

They don't???? :confused:

I just wanted to give them credit on how impressive it is that they can do what they do so rapidly and indeed make a difference so that their drivers get a chance of winning this coveted "Driver of the Race" Forum Award.

:bandit:

pino
14th September 2010, 05:41
They don't???? :confused:

I just wanted to give them credit on how impressive it is that they can do what they do so rapidly and indeed make a difference so that their drivers get a chance of winning this coveted "Driver of the Race" Forum Award.

:bandit:

You're talking about Ferrari crews...don't you ? I agree :D

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 06:18

Was that when he fired his laser and shot off part of Bunsen's diffuser? :p :

Valve Bounce
14th September 2010, 06:20
You're talking about Ferrari crews...don't you ? I agree :D

Maybe some technical type here can work out, in millisecs the gap that Bunsen missed coming out ahead of Alonso. It was so close :eek: that there wouldn't have been much in it.

And what was your exact reaction, pino? :)

Roamy
14th September 2010, 07:23
Oh the driver of the race was Schumacher - did you see how he just bolted his way up to 8th place from 12. Wow what a driver. And then he must have had a major car problem because Nico beat him like a red headed step son. Zoom Zoom Zoom - Lets hear it for the 7 times WDC :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pino
14th September 2010, 07:39
Maybe some technical type here can work out, in millisecs the gap that Bunsen missed coming out ahead of Alonso. It was so close :eek: that there wouldn't have been much in it.

And what was your exact reaction, pino? :)

I can't describe my reactions in here :p : but for the very first time, even my wife celebrated that moment with me :D

wedge
14th September 2010, 13:08
Alonso, Vettel, Button, Hulk, Rosberg

ioan
14th September 2010, 19:01
Was that when he fired his laser and shot off part of Bunsen's diffuser? :p :

Yeah, only that the laser blinded him and he didn't see how far ahead his car's nose was, up JB's car's rear side. ;)

ioan
14th September 2010, 19:04

It was about 1 car length going at about 100km/h, which makes it about 0.14 seconds.

Robinho
14th September 2010, 20:27
It was about 1 car length going at about 100km/h, which makes it about 0.14 seconds.

and i think i read that the McLaren Pitstop was 0.8 seconds slower than Ferrari, a couple of tenths quicker and it probably would have been a very different race. it wasn't the closest finish ever, but the tolerance between the win and loss were probably as tight as any

truefan72
15th September 2010, 02:45
and i think i read that the McLaren Pitstop was 0.8 seconds slower than Ferrari, a couple of tenths quicker and it probably would have been a very different race. it wasn't the closest finish ever, but the tolerance between the win and loss were probably as tight as any

mclaren pitstops this year have been disappointing.
Bas enough that they came in first handing the advantage to Alonso, but it was even worse when I saw his pitstop time and wondered why they were not better. Button's race was lost because of poor strategy and an even worse pistop.

I won't mind them using part of friday FP1 practicing pitstops over and over again. :(

SGWilko
15th September 2010, 09:26
Bad enough that they came in first handing the advantage to Alonso,(

But, with Ferrari having the luxury of waiting for Button to pit - by virtue of being behind - I don't see how McLaren could have realistically done any better?

What we don't know of course, is how much the damage to JB's diffuser was affecting his pace?

SGWilko
15th September 2010, 09:27
I won't mind them using part of friday FP1 practicing pitstops over and over again. :(

All teams practice pitstops more often than you and I have had hot dinners, and breakfasts, and lunches, and midnight snacks, and elevensies, and snacks..........

Garry Walker
15th September 2010, 14:28
Vettel.

:rotflmao:
You really think that was team-order and Red Bull is favouring Webber now all of a sudden? :rotflmao:
Your bias with Vettel is just too much, too much.

race aficionado
15th September 2010, 16:16
All teams practice pitstops more often than you and I have had hot dinners, and breakfasts, and lunches, and midnight snacks, and elevensies, and snacks..........

OK . . . . I know we are in a "Driver of the Race' thread but pit stops are being discussed . . . so without having to make a new thread:

What is the actual pit stop sequence of a current F1 car?

This was before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_A89Tv5Rl4&feature=fvw

fueling is out of the picture so no more fueling mistakes or broken rigs . .

so basically it is who changes the four tires the fastest? *that is if not other body parts have to be replaced because of an accident . . .

Tazio
19th September 2010, 11:49
:s ailor: You guys have to be freakin' dreaming!

Fred took pole, fastest lap, and race win.
BTW the only time it's been done this season, according to my sources :confused:
Yet the Anglo/Mafia has contrived to overwhelmingly choose Bunsen as D.O.T.R.
How pathetic is that?
He drove a good race, but all he accomplished by jumping Fred at the start was to back him up to his teammate who was predictably slower yet again.
D.O.T.R. Fred for being the only pilot hitting the trifecta so far this season.
Congrats to Bunsen for making it interesting!

As for the pit stop:
Ferrari innovation baby!!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:N8csDX2cG_V8oM:http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9785/wheelr.jpg&t=1

ioan
19th September 2010, 12:03

BTW the only time it's been done this season, according to my sources :confused:
How pathetic is that?
He drove a good race, but all he accomplished by jumping Fred at the start was to back him up to his teammate who was predictably slower yet again.

As for the pit stop:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:N8csDX2cG_V8oM:http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9785/wheelr.jpg&t=1

Others might have a different opinion from your. What about that?! :rolleyes:

Tazio
19th September 2010, 12:06
Others might have a different opinion from your. What about that?! :rolleyes: :s ailor:

Saint Devote
19th September 2010, 16:58
I do recall that Sebastian Vettel was attacked and his very ability questioned for a similar move that was caused by Alonso.

Only this time the driver did not take Jenson Button out of the race but "merely" broke off a piece of vital kit in the car known as the diffuser!

Alonso did damage the nose of his car slightly, but it was Button that had to suddenly deal with a car that mishandled compared to anything he had practiced with during the weekend.

It was the combination of the unusual set-up Jense could drive with, a good set of tyres and his Prost-like smoothness that enable him to lead Alonso.

Let us never overlook that the Driver of the Day was Jenson Button - overcoming a pitstop nearly 1 second longer than usual by the McLaren crew, a set of harder tyres that unsettled the car and once again an attack by another driver on HIS McLaren, to finish second.

Alonso won, but only after he damaged the car of the man he beat and did not have to deal with Lewis Hamilton. And where was Massa in a perfectly sound car - bcking his teammate? No.

Massa is the number two driver and on reflection was flattered by having Raikkonen as his teammate.

Ferrari have come away from Monza over-confident. But reality will be experienced at Marina Bay next weekend. That is a track where Hamilton excels and Jenson is quick there too - and RBR will be back at a track that they can win at.

Ferrari will discover that Monza was as usual of no relevance to any other circuit.

Tazio
19th September 2010, 19:17
:rolleyes: Somehow I knew you would drag Prost into this converstion! :laugh:

Ferrari have come away from Monza over-confident.

I really don't think Ferrari is over-confident. I think the gravity of their engine situation puts them in a way where they need some luck to have any shot at a championship. I'm betting they know that as well

Saint Devote
19th September 2010, 19:29

I really don't think Ferrari is over-confident. I think the gravity of their engine situation puts them in a way where they need some luck to have any shot at a championship. I'm betting they know that as well

Any driver that drives so smoothly without making any mistake HAS to be measured against a driver that is only second to Schumacher in race wins and was equal to Senna with a style that had the Mclaren team always in awe.

Marina Bay will disclose how relevant the Ferrari Monza performance was.

N4D13
20th September 2010, 10:47
Ferrari have come away from Monza over-confident. But reality will be experienced at Marina Bay next weekend. That is a track where Hamilton excels and Jenson is quick there too - and RBR will be back at a track that they can win at.
Just one thing: don't forget that Alonso and Massa have also done pretty well there. Alonso drove superbly there in 2008 and 2009 (no need to bring back the Crashgate drill, my point is only that he was really fast there in both years), and I remember that Massa did an enormous job there in 2008, took pole with a superb lap and would have won there if it hadn't been because of Piquet's crash and his disastrous pitstops.

Singapore is a circuit where driver skill is vital, so I wouldn't rule out any of the title contenders winning there.

Big Ben
20th September 2010, 10:53

I don't understand why don't they move sd in the history & nostalgia section? :laugh:

Big Ben
20th September 2010, 11:12

How pathetic is that?

As for the pit stop:

I can't believe they didn't mention him in the Donkey of the race thread. It must have been hard for them.

Saint Devote
20th September 2010, 12:08
Just one thing: don't forget that Alonso and Massa have also done pretty well there. Alonso drove superbly there in 2008 and 2009 (no need to bring back the Crashgate drill, my point is only that he was really fast there in both years), and I remember that Massa did an enormous job there in 2008, took pole with a superb lap and would have won there if it hadn't been because of Piquet's crash and his disastrous pitstops.

Singapore is a circuit where driver skill is vital, so I wouldn't rule out any of the title contenders winning there.

I have the greatest respect for Alonso. It isthroughhis motivation at Ferrari that he is now in title contention.

History is history but I do not measure him according to the negative, I merely use it.

Alonso was my pick for winning in Bahrain and is my pick for world champion this year.

But I think the RB06 and the MP4-25 will be too strong at Marina Bay - if Ferrari does well it will be Alonso that makes the difference.