PDA

View Full Version : Korean GP

Retro Formula 1
6th September 2010, 14:47
Will it go ahead is perhaps the first question.

The track has an initial Asphalt covering and Karun has had a spin around there. It appears that the track isn't too bad but run-off areas are not finished, fences missing and buildings half completed.

Bernie acknowledges the issues but is confident (remind anyone of Donington) it will all be alright on the night. However, he does conceed they may need to take tents :o

6 weeks to go. Is it going to happen and if it does, is it going to be a bit of a sham?

Time will tell.

ZEROX
6th September 2010, 14:52
My guess is it will be a go-go . But i bet the track will not complete . I say , about 97% complete when the F1 circus get there .

Bernie said about the tent . It might be possible to happen too . :p :

Sonic
7th September 2010, 09:59
I hate Bernie - I really do. Can you imagine what he would have said if Silverstone turned around and said "by the way Bernie old bean, we won't be finished in time so if you could just get everyone to bring some gazebo's along we'll be fine".

It's Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Retro Formula 1
7th September 2010, 10:15
You sound surprised? :s hock:

There are some great facilities being built around the globe for an audience that doesn't want them. That's the problem.

Korea will just be another half empty circuit falling into decay within 10 years.

maximilian
7th September 2010, 12:59
I wouldn't be so sure. The Korean economy is doing well, and there is considerable interest in the sport there, comparable to Japan.

Dr. Krogshöj
7th September 2010, 15:53
You sound surprised? :s hock:

There are some great facilities being built around the globe for an audience that doesn't want them. That's the problem.

Korea will just be another half empty circuit falling into decay within 10 years.

I'm not sure. There were 4,000 people for Karun's demo run, which is more than how many there were at the Hungaroring for the Le Mans Series. :s

Jag_Warrior
7th September 2010, 18:01
What was the amount of the bond this time? The last time, I'd say the failed Korean GP earned the FIA enough money to pay the bottom 4 or 5 teams their points money. Maybe that's why they keep doing these dopey deals with Korea. No one expects these races to go off as planned, but I guess the fines and/or bond money produces some nice returns.

And say, if the race does go off on time, but the circuit isn't totally as it's supposed to be, does/can the FIA still whack them with a fine?

ioan
7th September 2010, 18:12
They will be ready to hold the GP, most probably the minimum necessary will be done by then.

Comparing the building of a completely new circuit with renewing some track part at Silverstone is laughable.
It would more than equitable to compare it however with how the Donnington Park project went, so let's leave the brave Koreans to show what they can achieve.

Sonic
7th September 2010, 20:40
They will be ready to hold the GP, most probably the minimum necessary will be done by then.

Comparing the building of a completely new circuit with renewing some track part at Silverstone is laughable.
It would more than equitable to compare it however with how the Donnington Park project went, so let's leave the brave Koreans to show what they can achieve.

It's hardly laughable. The is a calendar to be kept to and if the track is not ready - whether it's a rebuild or or fresh sheet - there can't be excuses.

As it goes I hope they can pull it off but I loath the double standards.

ioan
7th September 2010, 21:12
As it goes I hope they can pull it off but I loath the double standards.

That is why you compared the Korean GP track's situation to Silverstone and not to Donnington Park?! ;)

truefan72
7th September 2010, 22:08
That is why you compared the Korean GP track's situation to Silverstone and not to Donnington Park?! ;)

lol

exactly

truefan72
7th September 2010, 22:11
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86449

track looks interesting

gloomyDAY
7th September 2010, 22:12
That is why you compared the Korean GP track's situation to Silverstone and not to Donnington Park?! ;) ioan! :laugh:

Always providing the laughs around here.

gloomyDAY
7th September 2010, 22:23

track looks interestingThat was pretty awesome.

The track looks ready. Just the finishing touches are left!

ioan
7th September 2010, 22:25
ioan! :laugh:

Always providing the laughs around here.

Something has to be done while waiting for the next race. ;)

Ranger
8th September 2010, 10:17

track looks interesting

Turns 4-6 are comparable to scraping fingernails down a blackboard but the rest looks not too bad.

The straight between turns 2 and 3 is an absolute gauntlet!

Retro Formula 1
8th September 2010, 12:08
I'm not sure. There were 4,000 people for Karun's demo run, which is more than how many there were at the Hungaroring for the Le Mans Series. :s

I don't know where they were hiding but there looked about 200 people in the stands and most of them would have been workers ;)

The first couple of corners look fun and I think it will be a good circuit as long as it manages to flow and not be too stop / start.

I couldn't see anything about the facilities but they obviously have to get the runoffs, fencing and final layer of track laid in a hurry. Don't fancy a track that hasn't properly "gone off" being mullered by a pack of F1 cars.

Lets hope the Koreans pull it off.

nigelred5
8th September 2010, 18:18
Funny, Bernie and the F1 circus seem like they feel they are too good for tents. As long as the track is finished and they can broadcast the race, who cares about everyting else? Watch the race as it's done for most series at most tracks around the world, pack a lunch and a folding chair, find a good viewing spot, plant your backside and enjoy the race. Who cares if the Ferrari dealership and hotel isn't finished, or that the media may just have to use their own laptop and broadband connection to submit their stories. Feed bernie a bowl of kimchee and a coke and tell him to suck it up.

It's all so over blown and unnecessary in F1.

steveaki13
8th September 2010, 21:59
Karun took around 2 minutes per lap on that run so maybe a 1:40-1:45 Lap time.

Does that seem reasonable

ioan
8th September 2010, 23:48
Funny, Bernie and the F1 circus seem like they feel they are too good for tents. As long as the track is finished and they can broadcast the race, who cares about everyting else? Watch the race as it's done for most series at most tracks around the world, pack a lunch and a folding chair, find a good viewing spot, plant your backside and enjoy the race. Who cares if the Ferrari dealership and hotel isn't finished, or that the media may just have to use their own laptop and broadband connection to submit their stories. Feed bernie a bowl of kimchee and a coke and tell him to suck it up.

It's all so over blown and unnecessary in F1.

:up:

ZEROX
10th September 2010, 19:47
Just hope the track would be more beautiful than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-MrMlxK2sw&feature=related) F1 2010 gameplay of the track . :p

truefan72
11th September 2010, 03:26
looks good to me the graphics actually look good in this game,

steveaki13
12th September 2010, 09:40
When on BBC yesterday, Karun Chandhok said when driving the circuit, it felt most similar to Valencia if any....

Thats bad news.