PDA

View Full Version : Kamui Kobayashi . Future champion in the making ?

ZEROX
5th September 2010, 05:30
He impressed almost all of us last season . Pushing the-not-so-good Toyota car to its limits . This year , Sauber team looking no good form . The car didn't deliver as much as mid-field car did . If only Toyota didn't quit Formula One . He would have battle for the championship this season . I just look at the Toyata 2010 f1 car , it's one extreme design of any formula car that i have seen . All and all , I'm hoping that the top teams will take him in the near future . I want to see different nation to take the crown .

Future champion anyone ?

ShiftingGears
5th September 2010, 05:59
I wouldn't make such a bold prediction yet. However he could be a race winner in the future.

race_director
5th September 2010, 06:48
is it joke ?

ZEROX
5th September 2010, 07:08
Nope .Of course people will think it as a joke . Back field driver will never end up in top team . But look the way he drive . Pushing the car limits .

Put him in Red Bull , Mclaren or Ferrari car . See what he can do . ;)

Ranger
5th September 2010, 07:18
Best rookie of 2010. However, he isn't blowing away Pedro who isn't stellar.

Wait and see.

inimitablestoo
5th September 2010, 08:33
Certainly been very impressive recently, and enlivened the European Grand Prix late on (early excitement having been provided by flying Antipodeans).

But, looking at the whole of 2009, not just the F1 drives, he went into the GP2 season having won the GP2 Asia Series and, despite a year's experience in the '08 car (including a win in his first meeting) did pretty much nothing. He was quite lucky to get the Toyota gig after that. I would say though, that he is at least the most exciting prospect from Japan for a number of years.

truefan72
5th September 2010, 09:01
doing a good job, and with an improving car will be delivering better results.
That whole teams to be on a steady course to improvement.

I do like Kobayashi as he has a certain edginess to his driving that is both endearing to the fans as well as a mark of a pure racer. I could care less about his gp2 stint tbh.

I won't go as far as calling him a future WDC yet. For that you need the right car and circumstance. But I would say this, if he was driving the RBR, Ferrari or Mclaren, we might already be talking about Kobayashi the race winner.

steveaki13
5th September 2010, 13:04
I don't think he will be a world champion.

I think he may be typical Japanese driver and make to many mistakes to achieve the heights of world champion, but clearly could be the best Japanese driver yet.

I wait to be proved wrong though.

VkmSpouge
5th September 2010, 13:12
I think it is too early to tell how much potential Kamui Kobayashi has but he certainly is a promising driver. He isn't scared to fight for position with anyone whatever their reputation and clearly is good at overtaking, I don't think he makes many mistakes either.

DexDexter
5th September 2010, 15:56
Nope .Of course people will think it as a joke . Back field driver will never end up in top team . But look the way he drive . Pushing the car limits .

Put him in Red Bull , Mclaren or Ferrari car . See what he can do . ;)

We would see lots of crashes, few daring overtaking manouvres and a couple of victories but consistency just isn't there, IMO.

ZEROX
5th September 2010, 16:02
We would see lots of crashes

Let's just hope that won't happen . :p

few daring overtaking manouvres and a couple of victories

Now that's i would like to see ! :D

Sonic
5th September 2010, 19:20
World champ? As much as I admire the guy and enjoy his style of driving I can't see him becoming a WDC. I've watched his career for a while so whilst I don't see him making all the way to the top I do believe he will be the best driver Japan has ever produced and spur on the next generation to surpass his achievements.

I'd love to be wrong and cheer on Kobay to become WDC but I think - on balance - probably not.

woody2goody
5th September 2010, 19:32
Best rookie of 2010. However, he isn't blowing away Pedro who isn't stellar.

Wait and see.

Disagree about Pedro but I like Koba and I think he could contend for the title one day. I don't think he'll win a title but he's a nice guy so I wish him well :)

Jag_Warrior
5th September 2010, 20:59
I like him. I like his style. And once he can better control his aggression, who knows where he might go in the future? Most of the greats drove for backmarkers at one point (Hamilton is really an exception to the rule). I don't see him landing at Ferrari or McLaren anytime soon. But let's say he could get a drive with Renault. What then? And if he did well there, who knows what that might bring?

I'm not a "weebo" or an apologist. But I think too often in the past, Japanese drivers have become the clowns of racing because they've often been ill-prepared for the seats that they got: Taki Inoue, Yuji Ide, Tora, Tora, Tora! Takagi, Shiggy "The Human Wrecking Ball" Hattori, King Hiro and now Takuma "Look Out!!!" Sato in the IRL. It would be nice to see Kamui break the stereotype that those guys have helped to support. But still, I'm not cheering for him because he's Japanese. I just think that he's hella fun to watch! :up:

Saint Devote
5th September 2010, 23:49
I would definitely disagree that Kam-wee is the best Japan has produced. That honor remains with Takuma Sato.

He was British f3 champion, he won Macau f3 and the f3 masters. He remains the only Japanese driver to have finished on the f1 podium and of you look at his f1 performance in 2004 it was damn excellent, qualifying in the first 7 most of the season and even 2nd at one race.

Kobayashi is spectacular and all that but simply sticking it out there and hoping for the best while also being something of an enfant terrible and many of the drivers see him coming and prepare for his erratic tendency.

I think it is a matter of time until a champion driver emerges from Japan. They have a thriving motor racing environment and the Formula Nippon cars are not only extremely pretty but produces great racing.

Drivers like Jacques Villeneuve and Heinz-Harald Frentzen are also products of the Japanese racing series as they raced there and won and it did them a world of good - and they loved the place. Delicious healthy food, lovely women and such nice cultured people too.

woody2goody
6th September 2010, 00:50
Just to add, last year's Toyota wan't a bad car at all, it just had a few dodgy races like Monaco.

Didn't they get 5 podiums and a pole or something like that?

woody2goody
6th September 2010, 00:53
I would definitely disagree that Kam-wee is the best Japan has produced. That honor remains with Takuma Sato.

He was British f3 champion, he won Macau f3 and the f3 masters. He remains the only Japanese driver to have finished on the f1 podium and of you look at his f1 performance in 2004 it was damn excellent, qualifying in the first 7 most of the season and even 2nd at one race.

Kobayashi is spectacular and all that but simply sticking it out there and hoping for the best while also being something of an enfant terrible and many of the drivers see him coming and prepare for his erratic tendency.

I don't see Kobayashi as 'erratic'.

The only questionable thing he's done in F1 was chopping across Nakajima in his first GP at Interlagos. Since then I've not seen anything that compares with Schumacher or even Vettel-type robustness.

Hard, fast and fair is how I would describe his racing style.

Saint Devote
6th September 2010, 01:11
I don't see Kobayashi as 'erratic'.

The only questionable thing he's done in F1 was chopping across Nakajima in his first GP at Interlagos. Since then I've not seen anything that compares with Schumacher or even Vettel-type robustness.

Hard, fast and fair is how I would describe his racing style.

How ridiculous is this thread to become, now comparing Kobayashi to Schumi and Vettel.

What silliness, prey, is next? Elevating Chandok to potential replacement for Webber?

:rotflmao:

keysersoze
6th September 2010, 03:20

Your boy Sato is having a lovely season in the IRL. He actually leads the league--in crashes. Yesterday he managed to do it all by himself on the first lap. Just sayin'.

Sonic
6th September 2010, 11:22

He was British f3 champion, he won Macau f3 and the f3 masters. He remains the only Japanese driver to have finished on the f1 podium

I think Aguri Suzuki managed a podium in 1990.

Retro Formula 1
6th September 2010, 12:26
A very exciting driver but a bit too early to say how far he could go.

Both him and Pedro had a dodgy start to the season, mostly due to the car, but since the 2nd 1/3 of the season, Koby has been clearly the better of the pair and the points reflect this.

Sato was a fun driver but always a little too "on the edge" to qualify his credentials for my liking. Saying that, he looked more mature at SA after being demoted (or was that promoted) from the Honda team.

With Koby, he does look a little better prepared and IMHO deserves a chance with a good mid field team. I don't know about Renault because they seem to be so focused on Kube as the Alonso replacement.

Time will tell but I'm interested in seeing more of the young man.

Ranger
6th September 2010, 12:28
I think it is a matter of time until a champion driver emerges from Japan. They have a thriving motor racing environment and the Formula Nippon cars are not only extremely pretty but produces great racing.

There have been too many Japanese drivers who have been rushed into F1, funded too much on nationality and not enough on substance.

That is the problem.

Since the mid-1990s, there has been Katayama(5 points), Takagi, Nakano (2 points), K.Nakajima (9 points), Yamamoto, Ide, Inoue. Then Sato and Kobayashi who actually seem(ed) decent.

Having said that, Sato's IndyCar season is an absolute crashfest.

ShiftingGears
6th September 2010, 12:31
I think Aguri Suzuki managed a podium in 1990.

At Suzuka in a Larrousse Lamborghini, no less.

The 2004 BAR was the second best car for the entire year in 2004, you can't say achieving one podium with that car while his teammate scored 10 is excellent at all.

Sonic
6th September 2010, 12:39

Leg end!

Valve Bounce
6th September 2010, 13:57
He impressed almost all of us last season . Pushing the-not-so-good Toyota car to its limits . This year , Sauber team looking no good form . The car didn't deliver as much as mid-field car did . If only Toyota didn't quit Formula One . He would have battle for the championship this season . I just look at the Toyata 2010 f1 car , it's one extreme design of any formula car that i have seen . All and all , I'm hoping that the top teams will take him in the near future . I want to see different nation to take the crown .

Future champion anyone ?

Yep! absolutely! Had Toyota remained in F1, this guy would be fighting Red Bul and McLaren and Ferrari for the championship already. SUCH IS LIFE

Roamy
6th September 2010, 14:01
Kobayashi is Sato's brother !!

ZEROX
6th September 2010, 14:47
Kobayashi is Sato's brother !!

I'll take a note on that ! :p :

wedge
6th September 2010, 14:56
They have a thriving motor racing environment and the Formula Nippon cars are not only extremely pretty but produces great racing.

Drivers like Jacques Villeneuve and Heinz-Harald Frentzen are also products of the Japanese racing series as they raced there and won and it did them a world of good - and they loved the place. Delicious healthy food, lovely women and such nice cultured people too.

There's good money but the competition isn't really what I'd call top class.

Aguri Suzuki told Sato to move to Europe that was where you refine your talent and prove yourself. Sato moved to England had to learn English and lived with an English family. That paved the way for the likes of Kobay and Nakajimas.

truefan72
7th September 2010, 06:20
There's good money but the competition isn't really what I'd call top class.

Aguri Suzuki told Sato to move to Europe that was where you refine your talent and prove yourself. Sato moved to England had to learn English and lived with an English family. That paved the way for the likes of Kobay and Nakajimas.

I still like nakajima and thought that he was a decent F1 driver.

I am evil Homer
7th September 2010, 09:16
In a word: no.

Sonic
7th September 2010, 09:50
In a word: no.

Homer has spoken! ;)

I am evil Homer
7th September 2010, 10:05
I suppose I should explain...he has a lot of talent for sure but so have many others in below par cars - i'm thinking the likes of Alesi. Also, while he's young, so too are Vettel and Hamilton who IMO are vastly superior drivers, with others such as Rosberg and Kubica also better and likely to be in F1 for at least the next 8-10 years.

That said I hope he does get a better car to drive so we can get more of an idea of his true pace. But i'd say certainly the most promising Japanese F1 driver since Nakajima-san

DazzlaF1
7th September 2010, 12:30
Koba's been retained by Sauber for the 2011 season :up:

Bezza
7th September 2010, 12:39
Kobayashi for me is the best Japanese F1 driver yet, nothing to do with what drivers did in F3, GP2, etc.

His raw talent is exceptional if you ask me, and he does have a chance of being a future champion if he can tone down some of his erratic driving. But I think he has already begun to do so. I think his quality of passing is excellent at such a young age, arguably only Hamilton has better wheel-to-wheel skills.

I don't see Sato as the previous best. He was comically erratic and at times, dangerous. One podium with a very good BAR car in 2004 wasn't much.

I would say Ukyo Katayama was the best Japanese driver so far, but Kobayashi should take that honour from him.

maximilian
7th September 2010, 13:01
It's good news that he has a cockpit secured for 2011, although I was hoping it would be a better seat than the Sauber (or whatever may become of that team).

wedge
7th September 2010, 13:03
Kobayashi for me is the best Japanese F1 driver yet, nothing to do with what drivers did in F3, GP2, etc.

His raw talent is exceptional if you ask me, and he does have a chance of being a future champion if he can tone down some of his erratic driving. But I think he has already begun to do so. I think his quality of passing is excellent at such a young age, arguably only Hamilton has better wheel-to-wheel skills.

I don't see Sato as the previous best. He was comically erratic and at times, dangerous. One podium with a very good BAR car in 2004 wasn't much.

I would say Ukyo Katayama was the best Japanese driver so far, but Kobayashi should take that honour from him.

Raw talent? Sorry, but Sato had that in spades. He lit up the Brit racing at the turn of the century. I'll never forget him dicing for lead positions in year old machinery in F3. So much buzz created around him in F3.

Simple case of not underperforming in F1, not refining his driving style and setting the car up, etc.

I've got soft spot for Taku. He blew hot and cold in F1. When he was bad, he as crashing left, right and centre but there were some great and magical moments. His podium drive at Indy was brilliant and pulled a great move on DC but it was at Super Aguri where he truly excelled when he was given a life line: stonking starts and leading a train of cars, grabbed a couple of points and after starting off as a joke team he grabbed a 10th place finish in Brazil 2006

Sonic
7th September 2010, 13:06

I'm on board with that. Was it '94 with the Yamaha in the back of uncle Ken's cars? He had some cracking races - I'm thinking hockenheim as a stand out performance.

It did all seem to fizzle out after that but that was much more a case of bad cars rather than any lack of talent.

Valve Bounce
7th September 2010, 13:54
Now, if only Hamilton went to Ferrari to replace Massa, and Koba went to McLaren to partner Bunsen, we'd have deja vu. :p :

Dr. Krogshöj
7th September 2010, 16:03

The 2004 BAR was the second best car for the entire year in 2004, you can't say achieving one podium with that car while his teammate scored 10 is excellent at all.

That's what I wanted to say. However, I think Sato did mature during the Super Aguri years, I personally believe those were the peak of his F1 career. He was fast compared to Davidson and made very few mistakes. I don't know what is happening to him this year though. At Kentucky this weekend, he spun on the second lap all by himself, and it was his 9th crash of the season. He seemed embarassed in the interview.

Jag_Warrior
7th September 2010, 17:48
That's what I wanted to say. However, I think Sato did mature during the Super Aguri years, I personally believe those were the peak of his F1 career. He was fast compared to Davidson and made very few mistakes. I don't know what is happening to him this year though. At Kentucky this weekend, he spun on the second lap all by himself, and it was his 9th crash of the season. He seemed embarassed in the interview.

Ya know, if he was just crashing on ovals I could understand that - he's a rookie on ovals. But based on his time in F1, I expected him to be MUCH better than he's been on roads/streets. He's shown to be quite fast at times, on ovals and road courses - but only when he's out there by himself. I think he nearly wrecked The Princess during qualifying or a practice session at Kentucky, didn't he? By the basic stats and going off the words of Mike Conway, the current IRL car is quite similar to the current GP2 car in terms of handling and hp/weight ratio. So I'm really surprised at how bad Sato has been this year. He's making Shiggy "The Human Wrecking Ball" Hattori look like a hot shoe. In F1 he was anything but consistent. But he wasn't comically bad... and right now he is. And yes, during interviews after his (many) crashes, he never seems to know what really happened. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights. I think he even crashed into the maid on his way out of the hotel the morning of the race.

I really hope that Kamui continues to develop and get better. He could go all to hell next season. But I hope he gets some support and his confidence level increases. I don't know about winning a WDC, but I think he can be pretty darn good. If Sato was running in CART instead of the IRL, they would have put him on probation or yanked his license by now, just as they did with Shiggy in '99. Kamui seems to have a better handle on the balance between aggression and patience. Now he just needs to build on that.

ioan
7th September 2010, 18:28
I've got soft spot for Taku. He blew hot and cold in F1. When he was bad, he as crashing left, right and centre but there were some great and magical moments. His podium drive at Indy was brilliant and pulled a great move on DC but it was at Super Aguri where he truly excelled when he was given a life line: stonking starts and leading a train of cars, grabbed a couple of points and after starting off as a joke team he grabbed a 10th place finish in Brazil 2006

He had an impressive season in 2007 in what was the cheapest car on the grid. His best season ever in F1. :up:

Retro Formula 1
7th September 2010, 20:03
Raw talent? Sorry, but Sato had that in spades. He lit up the Brit racing at the turn of the century. I'll never forget him dicing for lead positions in year old machinery in F3. So much buzz created around him in F3.

Simple case of not underperforming in F1, not refining his driving style and setting the car up, etc.

I'll second that. Spot on analysis.

wedge
8th September 2010, 00:18
Raw talent? Sorry, but Sato had that in spades.

Saying that, I must admit he is making me cringe in Indycar. Partly because he is all to frequently playing with monkeys at the back end of the grid getting caught up in accidents and pressing the self destruct button.

Kobay, so far at least, is the better F1 driver hands down but I still contest Sato has better raw talent.

Roamy
8th September 2010, 04:10
Gee Sauber must have read this thread. Good going

jens
9th September 2010, 18:58
We would see lots of crashes, few daring overtaking manouvres and a couple of victories but consistency just isn't there, IMO.

I don't understand putting Kobayashi in the same sentence with "crashing". It can only be a stereotypical view. To me it seems like Kamui is one of the coolest racers out there, who has wheel-to-wheel racing very much under his control. In terms of racecraft he reminds quite a bit of Hamilton, who without much question is one of the best in the field in this area. Can't say it about many other youngsters (Vettel, Hulk, Petrov, etc), who tend to be much more likely to crash and misjudge situations. I'd say Kobayashi is the best rookie of the season and clearly the most mature one.

Anyway, KK has a major weakness in his arsenal and that is qualifying. If he doesn't improve in this area, it may turn out to be fateful for his career outlooks. Struggling to make it into Q2 quite often isn't really good enough - he has made some impressive comebacks and collected points, but often losing ground in Q is too much in modern F1. So from that point of view he reminds more of Button.

I was hoping to see him being a strong contender for the 2011 Renault drive, but apparently he wasn't. As most top teams are locked for the next couple of years, it will take a bit time for current rookies to have a chance of making their way into a top team. Based on present form Kobayashi needs to improve a bit to become an attractive option for top teams, but overall he may have at least a decent career as a midfield driver, a'la Trulli. :p :

truefan72
9th September 2010, 23:16
I don't understand putting Kobayashi in the same sentence with "crashing". It can only be a stereotypical view. To me it seems like Kamui is one of the coolest racers out there, who has wheel-to-wheel racing very much under his control. In terms of racecraft he reminds quite a bit of Hamilton, who without much question is one of the best in the field in this area. Can't say it about many other youngsters (Vettel, Hulk, Petrov, etc), who tend to be much more likely to crash and misjudge situations. I'd say Kobayashi is the best rookie of the season and clearly the most mature one.

Anyway, KK has a major weakness in his arsenal and that is qualifying. If he doesn't improve in this area, it may turn out to be fateful for his career outlooks. Struggling to make it into Q2 quite often isn't really good enough - he has made some impressive comebacks and collected points, but often losing ground in Q is too much in modern F1. So from that point of view he reminds more of Button.

I was hoping to see him being a strong contender for the 2011 Renault drive, but apparently he wasn't. As most top teams are locked for the next couple of years, it will take a bit time for current rookies to have a chance of making their way into a top team. Based on present form Kobayashi needs to improve a bit to become an attractive option for top teams, but overall he may have at least a decent career as a midfield driver, a'la Trulli. :p :

excellent post :up:

woody2goody
9th September 2010, 23:20
I can't remember Koba crashing into anyone apart from Australia where his front wing fell off.

I hope Sauber retain Pedro as well - then they will have a young driver with a lot of potential and a crafty veteran with great technical acumen.

These driver combinations are usually the best ones to have IMO.

ZEROX
10th September 2010, 05:38
One more thing , there's a possibility that Koba goes to Ferrari .
See what happen to Raikonen and Massa . Both of them are from Sauber . Infact , Massa time at Sauber team , people call him crash kid .

But then again , it's all about sponsor not talent in Formula One these day . :dozey:

Mia 01
10th September 2010, 06:21
He is fun to watch, no moore.

Remember Vettel in toro rosso, one win.

The Sauber is not that bad.

Bezza
10th September 2010, 08:48

This is about F1 not F3 - who cares about that? You could say Jan Magnussen was a great driver with them rules!

Yeah, he did OK at Super Aguri, I agree. But he missed his chance at BAR in 2004-2005, especially 2005 - one of the most woeful seasons of any F1 driver if you ask me. Endless mistakes and crashes.

Kobayashi is already a better driver and can actually make a pass.

wedge
10th September 2010, 15:02
This is about F1 not F3 - who cares about that? You could say Jan Magnussen was a great driver with them rules!

Yeah, he did OK at Super Aguri, I agree. But he missed his chance at BAR in 2004-2005, especially 2005 - one of the most woeful seasons of any F1 driver if you ask me. Endless mistakes and crashes.

Kobayashi is already a better driver and can actually make a pass.

How do you define raw talent? It's quite a broad term. Damon Hill looked nothing special in lower formulae but excelled in F1 so does that mean he had 'raw talent'?

I am evil Homer
10th September 2010, 15:21
No it means he got very, very lucky. Right car, right time. Good driver but will never be mentioned in the same breath as Senna, Prost, Mansell, Alonso, Schumacher or Hamilton.

We never got to see what Stefan Bellof would do but I think most people would say he had 'raw talent'.

ioan
10th September 2010, 15:26
No it means he got very, very lucky. Right car, right time. Good driver but will never be mentioned in the same breath as Senna, Prost, Mansell, Alonso, Schumacher or Hamilton.

I am not sure why Alonso and Hamilton are mentioned in the same sentence with Senna, Prost and Schumacher?!

Malbec
13th September 2010, 20:22
Ya know, if he was just crashing on ovals I could understand that - he's a rookie on ovals. But based on his time in F1, I expected him to be MUCH better than he's been on roads/streets. He's shown to be quite fast at times, on ovals and road courses - but only when he's out there by himself. I think he nearly wrecked The Princess during qualifying or a practice session at Kentucky, didn't he? By the basic stats and going off the words of Mike Conway, the current IRL car is quite similar to the current GP2 car in terms of handling and hp/weight ratio. So I'm really surprised at how bad Sato has been this year. He's making Shiggy "The Human Wrecking Ball" Hattori look like a hot shoe. In F1 he was anything but consistent. But he wasn't comically bad... and right now he is. And yes, during interviews after his (many) crashes, he never seems to know what really happened. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights. I think he even crashed into the maid on his way out of the hotel the morning of the race.

I really hope that Kamui continues to develop and get better. He could go all to hell next season. But I hope he gets some support and his confidence level increases. I don't know about winning a WDC, but I think he can be pretty darn good. If Sato was running in CART instead of the IRL, they would have put him on probation or yanked his license by now, just as they did with Shiggy in '99. Kamui seems to have a better handle on the balance between aggression and patience. Now he just needs to build on that.

I had the good fortune to meet Sato a few times while he was in F3 due to a relative of mine working with him to get sponsorship etc. I thought he was promising and highly talented but utterly incapable of making risk assessments especially when overtaking. I was proven right when he made a mess of things at BAR especially in 2004 when the car was a regular podium finisher in Jenson's hands. Sato shouldn't have scored one podium that season, he should have scored several and the fact that he didn't was often due to his ridiculously risky overtaking moves like that at Nurburgring on Rubens.

I thought he'd gotten rid of that idiotic overtaking instinct when he matured at Super Aguri, in fact he had been sent on some risk assessment courses by his manager to try and temper his overtaking more.

Now looking at his Indy record I do wonder if he's regressed again.

Kamui Kobayashi is in my view more talented. I note that some people call him erratic but I don't recall him colliding with anyone when overtaking, in fact the only collision that was his fault was with Nakajima last year IIRC.

What Kamui has over Sato is consistency. In the last four races before Italy he had scored points in every race I think, and had maximised what he got out of the package on raceday which is something Sato rarely did. You get the impression that he will somehow end up in the points in a dog of a car and know when to go for broke and when to hold back.

Also I believe that Kamui is quite possibly the first Japanese F1 driver to get a non-sponsored or paid seat, therefore the decision to hire him was purely based on talent. That on its own speaks volumes.

Anyway things are going to get tougher for Kamui, since Nick Heidfeld will replace Pedro from Singapore on. If Kamui can be level with or beat Nick his stock will rise massively.

ioan
13th September 2010, 20:39
I was proven right when he made a mess of things at BAR especially in 2004 when the car was a regular podium finisher in Jenson's hands. Sato shouldn't have scored one podium that season, he should have scored several and the fact that he didn't was often due to his ridiculously risky overtaking moves like that at Nurburgring on Rubens.

With MS and Rubens and Jenson on the podium how many podium places were there free for Sato?! :rolleyes:

Given the above he had to try to overtake Rubens in order to satisfy the fan's need for podiums. :\

wedge
14th September 2010, 13:03
I had the good fortune to meet Sato a few times while he was in F3 due to a relative of mine working with him to get sponsorship etc. I thought he was promising and highly talented but utterly incapable of making risk assessments especially when overtaking.

Where did you get that idea from? In his first F3 season and being in scholarship class he was overtaking cars left, right and centre in a year old car. In particular I seem to remember him pulling off some cracking dive-bombs in the final chicane at Snetterton and cleanly done which is a rare feat.

Big Ben
14th September 2010, 13:15
I am not sure why Alonso and Hamilton are mentioned in the same sentence with Senna, Prost and Schumacher?!

Just to puzzle you

ShiftingGears
14th September 2010, 13:31
Given the above he had to try to overtake Rubens in order to satisfy the fan's need for podiums. :\

If you are excusing a boneheaded move (I have not seen the incident) I fail to see how that is any justification.

Ranger
14th September 2010, 13:45
If you are excusing a boneheaded move (I have not seen the incident) I fail to see how that is any justification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ypikjoG2AQ&p=93394091C9AFBBE2&playnext=1&index=55

1:27. Reckless indeed.

Retro Formula 1
14th September 2010, 14:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ypikjoG2AQ&p=93394091C9AFBBE2&playnext=1&index=55

1:27. Reckless indeed.

That was a beautiful pass and one of my all time favorites :D

ioan
14th September 2010, 19:05
Just to puzzle you

It sure did.