PDA

View Full Version : Ruh roh. Here we go again.

garyshell
2nd September 2010, 17:03
Could this be the "breakaway" series rumored for the past few weeks. This cannot possibly turn out well. :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://openpaddock.net/2010/09/02/oped-the-potential-future-of-the-delta-wing/

Gary

EagleEye
2nd September 2010, 18:38
Could this be the "breakaway" series rumored for the past few weeks. This cannot possibly turn out well. :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://openpaddock.net/2010/09/02/oped-the-potential-future-of-the-delta-wing/

Gary

As I noted after the team owner meeting prior to Sonoma, the Delta Wing is moving forward, and Chip is very keen to have a series in place that will use this car.

I posed the question of which series would have a set speicifiaction, and allow teams to build the cars to that spec: The answer is NASCAR.

Since then a slow battle has been looming, but it appears the DW is looking to position the DW as a new series, and not promote it as a direct option to the IRL. This could get ineteresting to say the least.

We know the DW will be built and tested. NASCAR and partner ISC now have several tracks that will be without IRL races. NASCAR teams have the resources to build cars, and we could see a new series emerge. So, it would appear that they would be a willing partner in this.

Why is it a viable option? NASCAR has the TV package in place, and such series could be foreced or added to the existing package. Several teams and drivers in NASCAR have expressed interest in running an open wheel car, and several current IRL teams back the DW.

If the DW<the new Dallara, in upfront and operational costs, then you could see some teams bolt for the series. The top ones, Penske, Ganassi, would probably do both or just the 500. Others might be faced to choose sides based on loyalty, or more likley money.

I'm trying to be nuetral here, as we could end up in one, two, or no series in 2012 and it is too early to see what might happen. I personally do not have a horse in this race, but only hope our team lands on a position that will lead to a prosperous future.

SoCalPVguy
2nd September 2010, 18:44
As I noted after the team owner meeting prior to Sonoma, the Delta Wing is moving forward, and Chip is very keen to have a series in place that will use this car.

I posed the question of which series would have a set speicifiaction, and allow teams to build the cars to that spec: The answer is NASCAR.

Since then a slow battle has been looming, but it appears the DW is looking to position the DW as a new series, and not promote it as a direct option to the IRL. This could get ineteresting to say the least.

We know the DW will be built and tested. NASCAR and partner ISC now have several tracks that will be without IRL races. NASCAR teams have the resources to build cars, and we could see a new series emerge. So, it would appear that they would be a willing partner in this.

Why is it a viable option? NASCAR has the TV package in place, and such series could be foreced or added to the existing package. Several teams and drivers in NASCAR have expressed interest in running an open wheel car, and several current IRL teams back the DW.

If the DW<the new Dallara, in upfront and operational costs, then you could see some teams bolt for the series. The top ones, Penske, Ganassi, would probably do both or just the 500. Others might be faced to choose sides based on loyalty, or more likley money.

I'm trying to be nuetral here, as we could end up in one, two, or no series in 2012 and it is too early to see what might happen. I personally do not have a horse in this race, but only hope our team lands on a position that will lead to a prosperous future.

Say that Nascar gets behind the delta wing and sanctions it as a spec open wheel series, using the GRE similar to the Grand Am series then it could be lights out for ICS.

Lee Roy
2nd September 2010, 20:45
I seriously doubt that anyone in NASCAR other than Ganassi and/or Penske would venture a farthing on this folly.

SarahFan
2nd September 2010, 22:17
If it comes to pass as EE has suggested it will be just another case of NASCAR riding OWs coattails

downtowndeco
2nd September 2010, 23:05
This is never going to happen. Push comes to shove I say tell them to take the car and start a series.

DBell
3rd September 2010, 00:32
I had a couple of thoughts that coupled with split history would've made a good episode of "The Twilight Zone"

Robin Miller has said that TG is in favor of the DW.

He's also said that TG has made an attempt to to buy back the IRL.

Robin also says that some key owners are in favor of TG's return.

So what if TG wants to buy the IRL and make the DW eligible to race. Failing that, TG and some owners start a new series featuring the DW, some 17 years removed from TG leading an breakaway series featuring the IMS splitting from a series run by the owners.

Now cue in Rod Serling and the do-do-do-do music and we can begin the show. :D

Now this was all in fun and I'm not saying this is what's happening, but then stranger things have happened. :eek:

anthonyvop
3rd September 2010, 00:53
it will be just another case of NASCAR riding OWs coattails

???????

NickFalzone
3rd September 2010, 01:08
???????

This is a joke that Ken likes playing on Lee Roy.

nigelred5
3rd September 2010, 01:09
Me thinks the Captian doesn't like the role of corporal he has had in the IRL lately. Apparently Randy doesn't drool on the floor, submit to his every wish and bow down to his mere presence in the room like ol TG did.

NickFalzone
3rd September 2010, 01:09
I had a couple of thoughts that coupled with split history would've made a good episode of "The Twilight Zone"

Robin Miller has said that TG is in favor of the DW.

He's also said that TG has made an attempt to to buy back the IRL.

Robin also says that some key owners are in favor of TG's return.

So what if TG wants to buy the IRL and make the DW eligible to race. Failing that, TG and some owners start a new series featuring the DW, some 17 years removed from TG leading an breakaway series featuring the IMS splitting from a series run by the owners.

Now cue in Rod Serling and the do-do-do-do music and we can begin the show. :D

Now this was all in fun and I'm not saying this is what's happening, but then stranger things have happened. :eek:

I mentioned this scenario on another thread lol. Although it certainly is not likely to happen, the coincidental timing of these rumors makes the TG/DW new series vaguely plausible. And that's pretty crazy :eek:

SUBARUTEAM
3rd September 2010, 02:20
I mentioned this scenario on another thread lol. Although it certainly is not likely to happen, the coincidental timing of these rumors makes the TG/DW new series vaguely plausible. And that's pretty crazy :eek:

I really hope you a wrong. I for one will give up on AOW racing if that happens.......again

NickFalzone
3rd September 2010, 02:29
I really hope you a wrong. I for one will give up on AOW racing if that happens.......again

Yeah, I'd have to agree. If another split like this happens I'd probably watch a few more races of each series, then dump it entirely and move on to other types of racing. Honestly NASCAR is entertaining me a bit more these days anyway, even though I prefer the purity and speed of IndyCar. A 2nd IndyCar type series would obliterate all my good will towards AOW though.

Lee Roy
3rd September 2010, 02:36
This is a joke that Ken likes playing on Lee Roy.

The joke is on him.

Easy Drifter
3rd September 2010, 02:54
Could Tony, or anybody deliver Indy? Without the 500 a series would likely fail.

SarahFan
3rd September 2010, 02:54
The joke is on him.

yet here you are trolling the IRL board.... go figure

NickFalzone
3rd September 2010, 03:39
Could Tony, or anybody deliver Indy? Without the 500 a series would likely fail.

Of course you are something forgetting the doomsday scenario: 2013, IndyCar series kicked out of IMS, and DeltaWing Racing League with TG at the helm races the 500 and a bunch of other ovals, a few street. The IndyCar series tries a "US500" at say Fontana or Michigan to go along with their primarily street/road course schedule. The ovals start drying up on the IndyCar series, meanwhile both DW and IC series struggle mightily in the ratings. IC eventually dies because of lack of the 500, and DW plugs along poorly while TG once again raids the piggy bank to prop it up. Eventually, AOW finally ends with a thud when the piggy bank dries up and the 500 no longer has good marquee appeal.

vintage
3rd September 2010, 03:42
Mods - please save us from this ridiculous thread. Some blogger writes a blog with might, maybe, could, TG, blah blah blah.

The Delta Wing will never see the light of day. Give it up!

garyshell
3rd September 2010, 04:06
yet here you are trolling the IRL board.... go figure

Nice job Ken! He took the bait, hook, line and sinker.

Gary

SarahFan
3rd September 2010, 04:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_An7Dj1w_gU

Lousada
3rd September 2010, 08:48

The IRL will never turn a wheel!
Come on this is American Open Wheel racing. Anything can happen!

beachbum
3rd September 2010, 11:18
NASCAR has been trying to kill any opposition, particularly open wheel, for decades. Just "another brick in the wall".

EagleEye
3rd September 2010, 14:38
Mods - please save us from this ridiculous thread. Some blogger writes a blog with might, maybe, could, TG, blah blah blah.

While this thread has a lot of interesting speculation, work continues on the DW. It WILL be built and it WILL be tested.

And then here is where it gets really interesting.

Chip, does not like to spend or waste money, unless there is a return on his investment. Why build and test a car, if no series wants to have it?

Firestone is firmly behind the project. Firestone, owned by Bridgestone who recently exited F1, are looking for another high profile series to compete in. Sorry gang, the IRL is not high profile...

Soctt Pruett has been seen at some tracks in an unmarked NASCAR-Type car, with unmarked tires, with a crew in unmarked shirts. All with a big new unmarked hauler.

NASCAR is looking for something to augment their offering. Grand Am was added to cover sportscar racing, for example. NASCAR is also looking to add buzz, think of Danica's exploits there.

The one thing people are missing is that the DW is being targeted as a stand alone series, not a direct alternate to the IRL. Though, it will be a defacto was, I guess.

Again, there was a near revolt at the start of the year, when owners were ready to bolt. It was a mess, and RB helped calm the waters. Another near riot after the bad 500 ratings, and yet another after the IConic boards decision was announced.

ISC has tracks and the resources to fund a new series. And, ever take a good look at the Daytona 500 trophey? A former Daytona Beach land speed car, which looks a bit like....the DW.

Just keep an eye on the progress of the DW. Again, I am nuetral here, but this is getting 'bery 'intresting.

Chris R
3rd September 2010, 14:59
While this thread has a lot of interesting speculation, work continues on the DW. It WILL be built and it WILL be tested.

And then here is where it gets really interesting.

Chip, does not like to spend or waste money, unless there is a return on his investment. Why build and test a car, if no series wants to have it?

Firestone is firmly behind the project. Firestone, owned by Bridgestone who recently exited F1, are looking for another high profile series to compete in. Sorry gang, the IRL is not high profile...

Soctt Pruett has been seen at some tracks in an unmarked NASCAR-Type car, with unmarked tires, with a crew in unmarked shirts. All with a big new unmarked hauler.

NASCAR is looking for something to augment their offering. Grand Am was added to cover sportscar racing, for example. NASCAR is also looking to add buzz, think of Danica's exploits there.

The one thing people are missing is that the DW is being targeted as a stand alone series, not a direct alternate to the IRL. Though, it will be a defacto was, I guess.

Again, there was a near revolt at the start of the year, when owners were ready to bolt. It was a mess, and RB helped calm the waters. Another near riot after the bad 500 ratings, and yet another after the IConic boards decision was announced.

ISC has tracks and the resources to fund a new series. And, ever take a good look at the Daytona 500 trophey? A former Daytona Beach land speed car, which looks a bit like....the DW.

Just keep an eye on the progress of the DW. Again, I am nuetral here, but this is getting 'bery 'intresting.

So are you suggesting that Chip wants to tart a new sanctioning body with the help of Firestone that would include stock cars and Delta wing or that Firestone is looking at NASCAR and would like to have an open wheel series to complement the existing stock cars all under "one roof".....???

My assumption has always been that any continuing work on the DW is all about 2014-15 and beyond in the IRL..... The idea is pretty radical so it is going to take a few years to sort out if it is done right.....

garyshell
3rd September 2010, 16:04
The one thing people are missing is that the DW is being targeted as a stand alone series, not a direct alternate to the IRL.

Oh really? How could it possibly be seen as anything else? That is the same ridiculous empty verbiage that came with King George's vision.

Though, it will be a defacto was, I guess.

Ya think?

Gary

Lousada
3rd September 2010, 17:33
A Nascar Delta Wing Series would also put ISC and SMI right against eachother. As from next year the Indycar will be strictly SMI (and independent) tracks, you'd guess Nascar Delta Wing will do the majority of ISC tracks.
I wonder how much these open wheel troubles are actually political games between ISC and SMI.

beachbum
3rd September 2010, 18:51
I wonder how much these open wheel troubles are actually political games between ISC and SMI.Probably all of it. They are having a nice little "war" and open wheel may be collateral damage. ISC doesn't care about open wheel.

Jag_Warrior
3rd September 2010, 21:35
Probably all of it. They are having a nice little "war" and open wheel may be collateral damage. ISC doesn't care about open wheel.

True. But I don't think SMI (Bruton Smith) cares about open wheel either. Other than various NASCAR races, I'd say (though I haven't checked) the other major contributors to SMI's profits are NHRA races. Bruton was ready to exercise the nuclear option when the city of Charlotte didn't want to let him build his over the top, 4 lane NHRA track near the Lowe's Motor Speedway. But Bruton isn't going to build or change any of his tracks to better suit IRL races. If he can make some money by hosting a few, he'll do that. But this is the same guy who publicly blamed the IRL for an earnings shortfall at SMI about ten years ago.

I think he's just seeing if there's any money to be made by hosting a few more IRL races - since SMI booted the IRL out of most of their tracks years ago (Charlotte, Atlanta, Vegas, one down at Texas). Or, he may be using the IRL as a pawn. He's very wily, that Bruton. It's hard to say what he's up to.

Mark in Oshawa
4th September 2010, 06:47
Probably all of it. They are having a nice little "war" and open wheel may be collateral damage. ISC doesn't care about open wheel.

As Jag points out quite well, Bruton may not either. That said, Bruton is on the side of the IRL right now as it stands...so how well the IRL delivers up to his expectations will be the key.

The DW? I want to see it on the track. Unlike a lot of people, I want to be proven it cant work by seeing the car run down the race track.

That said, Chip is either out of his mind or up to no good with this DW project. He keeps clinging to the faint hope he can find a place to get his money back. The sad reality is, after the first war, with the actual creation of the IRL, I have come to the conclusion no scenario is stupid enough or vapid enough to not be believable.

The only hope we have is the Sisters and Mari Hulman back their man Randy here and hold firm. Without the 500, I cannot see another OW like series making it, and the Delta wing, as radical as it is, is still trying to go for the same race fan that the IRL wants to hang on to and get BACK.

Chip can blow his money on this deal all he wants, but the ICONIC people are not sold on it yet. Maybe 5 years from now, it will be an option for teams. I think that is a FAR more rational take. Chip and Bowlby may have lost this round, but what is being proposed is far more down the road in tech than the Dallara tub for 2012.