PDA

View Full Version : NBC and Versus

SarahFan
1st September 2010, 17:22
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/66584

^any speculation on potential impact for the IRL...

there has been saome serios WAG's about Indycar ending up on NBC.....I for one dont see that happening.....Im wondering if Versus gets killed off does the league still have a contract.....and is that a good or bad thing..

thoughts? comments?

Lousada
1st September 2010, 17:49
Indycar ratings are too low for anyone to start caring about. The more sports properties NBC/Versus will own, the lower Indycar comes in the pecking order.
Versus won't break the contract because it's still a whopping 7 more years, but they simply stop making an effort. And then they will start bullying like ESPN did by pre-empting races for womens rugby or whatever.

Chris R
1st September 2010, 17:54
It is comforting to seethe IRL featured so prominently in the article. Glad to know they care (or matter).... ;)

ykiki
1st September 2010, 18:09
Kind of misleading. Versus does't get "killed off", it's simply renamed. Big difference. A channel named "NBC Sports" would have a bigger pull than "VS" I would imagine.

nigelred5
1st September 2010, 21:14
Kind of misleading. Versus does't get "killed off", it's simply renamed. Big difference. A channel named "NBC Sports" would have a bigger pull than "VS" I would imagine.

That's exactly what I have been toldcandhave been saying since the Comcast NBC deal was announced. Comcast wants more than just the over the air channel. They want the NBC name. An NBC sports network is an immediate challenge to ABC /ESPN. Combine all of Comcast 's regional sports networks, all of the mi.or league sports franchises they control or outright own, the golf channel, and a re-named (thank Gawd) versus with NBC sports name and there is one he!! Of a dominant presence in sports entertainment. Comcast signed the IRL deal and they already have experience with NASCAR and ALMS.

I think the renamed versus will end up on most networks and the TV deal will end up just fine.

anthonyvop
1st September 2010, 21:20
NBC Sports is a stronger brand than Versus, which is why Comcast, in the first couple of months after regulatory approval, will rename Versus to something like the NBC Sports Channel or NBC Sports Network.

If it comes to pass it is Very Good News for the IRL.

A Notre Dame Football game is a better lead in than the Collegiate Bass Championships (I kid you not. That will be on Vs. this Saturday at 12:30 pm Saturday)

Easy Drifter
1st September 2010, 22:07
Hopefully if it comes about they will get on the basic cable/satellite networks up here. Then TSN will be shut out and Cdns. can see the races without having to purchase an expensive package to get TSN2 where most of the races are shown.

Scotty G.
2nd September 2010, 00:48
The Collegiate Bass Championships

Nothing wrong with a little collegiate bass. :p

NickFalzone
2nd September 2010, 01:13
Nothing wrong with a little collegiate bass. :p

Lol true, and Anthony must not watch VS that much because the lead-ins have been WAY worse than collegiate bass. At least it's a sport. Lately I've seen lead-ins from infomercials and how-to fishing shows.

NickFalzone
2nd September 2010, 01:20
It is comforting to seethe IRL featured so prominently in the article. Glad to know they care (or matter).... ;)

Lol, for a second there I thought you were serious, and I was surprised because they NEVER include IndyCar in these business articles. IndyCar must be making some progress.. Then I saw the 2-page article and not a single reference to the IRL. Yes, I should have known better.

nigelred5
2nd September 2010, 02:11
People forget how horrible ESPN's programming was for a LONG time, though the public expectations of cable TV has changed dramatically siince those days. Hell, even some public access programming is better than the early days of ESPN.