PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton second title?

grandp22
31st August 2010, 23:13
Lewis hamilton has takes huge advantage of his rival misfortune last weekend on Belgium Grand Prix. Lead from the start to finish line and not even Red Bull of Mark Webber can catch him. Alonso and Button retired with Vettel didn't scores any championship points, Hamilton on pole position to claims his second Formula 1 World Championship.

Despite Mark Webber only three points behind him. But with no experience battles for championship there's doubt Webber could challenge Hamilton for the tittle. And now with McLaren fully backup Hamilton for the championship fight, we believe no one can stop him now and McLaren always getting strong at the end of the season. Meanwhile Red Bull still not decided yet who's the number 1 driver and internal issues could be disaster in the end for the team.

All due respect to Alonso, but Ferrari never really strong this season except in Germany. After "lucky" championship wins for Raikkonen in 2007 and very unlucky lost for Massa in 2008, Ferrari struggle in almost the entire 2009 season and the opening race of 2010 they wins the Bahrain Grand Prix cause by very poor Sebastian Vettel sparks problems.
In Monza Ferrari will show their spirit and fight with 110% but I doubt they will win the Italian Grand Prix.

If Hamilton could retain his momentum, I think we'll see a new legends reborn.

gloomyDAY
1st September 2010, 02:23
I think we'll see a new legends reborn.How can new legends be reborn?

race_director
1st September 2010, 03:08
Lewis hamilton has takes huge advantage of his rival misfortune last weekend on Belgium Grand Prix. Lead from the start to finish line and not even Red Bull of Mark Webber can catch him. Alonso and Button retired with Vettel didn't scores any championship points, Hamilton on pole position to claims his second Formula 1 World Championship.

Despite Mark Webber only three points behind him. But with no experience battles for championship there's doubt Webber could challenge Hamilton for the tittle. And now with McLaren fully backup Hamilton for the championship fight, we believe no one can stop him now and McLaren always getting strong at the end of the season. Meanwhile Red Bull still not decided yet who's the number 1 driver and internal issues could be disaster in the end for the team.

All due respect to Alonso, but Ferrari never really strong this season except in Germany. After "lucky" championship wins for Raikkonen in 2007 and very unlucky lost for Massa in 2008, Ferrari struggle in almost the entire 2009 season and the opening race of 2010 they wins the Bahrain Grand Prix cause by very poor Sebastian Vettel sparks problems.
In Monza Ferrari will show their spirit and fight with 110% but I doubt they will win the Italian Grand Prix.

If Hamilton could retain his momentum, I think we'll see a new legends reborn.

Obivious hamilton gonna win this year. FIA is fully behind him.

time for news of the world to do a sting, like they did in cricket

ArrowsFA1
1st September 2010, 08:21
Interesting :dozey: Would you care to provide us with some evidence of this particular conspiracy theory.

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 09:11
Obivious hamilton gonna win this year.

Not at all. Webber has the best car beneath him. With only Monza left of the tracks that are unlikely to play to the strengths of the RB6, he is, I speculate, in a very enviable position.

I for one will not be displeased if Mark takes the title - a very well deserved victory that will be for a thoroughly down to earth bloke.

I'd like Lewis to take it, but he has time on his hands, Mark does not have that luxury.

Mark
1st September 2010, 10:02
I for one will be very happy if either Webber or Hamilton take the title. As much as I'd like to see a British World Champion for the third consecutive year, I'd quite like to see Webber winning it!

Ari
1st September 2010, 10:03
Not at all. Webber has the best car beneath him. With only Monza left of the tracks that are unlikely to play to the strengths of the RB6, he is, I speculate, in a very enviable position.

I for one will not be displeased if Mark takes the title - a very well deserved victory that will be for a thoroughly down to earth bloke.

I'd like Lewis to take it, but he has time on his hands, Mark does not have that luxury.

Top post, spot on.

Webber coming 2nd in Belgium is actually a surprised packet of points. Lewis had 2 races to get maximum points to keep his championship alive. He has managed to maximise one race, now he needs to do the same again in Italy.

Webber drove well to come 2nd in a race where the Bulls were not supposed to podium. All Webber needs to do is podium in Italy and the title is his. The last 5 tracks favour Red Bull over McLaren, if only in qualy, so Webber surely is in the box seat.

Hamilton should be praying for a Webber DNF and a Vettel podium to keep his WDC alive.

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 10:10
Top post, spot on.

Webber coming 2nd in Belgium is actually a surprised packet of points. Lewis had 2 races to get maximum points to keep his championship alive. He has managed to maximise one race, now he needs to do the same again in Italy.

Webber drove well to come 2nd in a race where the Bulls were not supposed to podium. All Webber needs to do is podium in Italy and the title is his. The last 5 tracks favour Red Bull over McLaren, if only in qualy, so Webber surely is in the box seat.

Hamilton should be praying for a Webber DNF and a Vettel podium to keep his WDC alive.

Indeed. However, I fear that at Monza both the Force Indias and at least one of the Renaults will be able to beat the Bulls, plus the Ferrari's will be in the mix.

I can't help but feel Red Bull will get mugged at Monza on the straights, so Webbers' 2nd at Spa was all the more important.

I wonder if McLaren have got a handle on the blown diffuser yet on the tracks that are fiddly?

Robinho
1st September 2010, 11:01
If Hamilton picks up a big result at Monza then i think he might be very difficult to beat - he has had a habit of picking up better than expected results at less favourable tracks this year whilst rivals have taken points off each other, i can see this trend continuing with Vettel, Webber and Alonso still fighting for the points and the likes of Hamilton, Button and Kubica in the mix also, the big points will likely to be shared out as they have been so far. This will make it very difficult for anyone to mount a sustained challenge.

That said, i do consider that Webber ought to be considered favourite given the car advantage he should still have towards the end of the year, if he maintains a points advantage over Vettel

truefan72
1st September 2010, 17:30

time for news of the world to do a sting, like they did in cricket

here we have a gentleman grasping to hold on to the edges of reality.
Is it possible that one's hatred of a particular driver so great that it induces many moments of conspiracy theories?

Who ever wins the WDC this year, in what is turning out to be a spectacularly close championship, will do so by what they accomplish on the track. And to date Hamilton and Webber have done very well to richly deserve their lead of the championship. I for one cannot recall a single race this year where an FIA call has benefited them. Please provide us with evidence for your conspiracy theory.

ioan
1st September 2010, 18:00
How can new legends be reborn?

:D

ioan
1st September 2010, 18:03
I for one will not be displeased if Mark takes the title - a very well deserved victory that will be for a thoroughly down to earth bloke

No, no Button reloaded, please! Not another WDC who wins due to patiently waiting until the moment he get's to drive a largely faster car than the opposition.
I admit he is a nice person and all but ...

jens
1st September 2010, 18:39
Hamilton's off in Belgium reminded me immediately his deeds in China '07 - it looks like he has learnt something from that experience, because this time he managed to keep the momentum and get out of the gravel. :D It is also interesting that while the Chinese accident was probably the key factor in the outcome of the 2007 championship, those 25 points saved from the gravel at Spa might prove to be decisive in turning the WDC in his favour this time. Just shows, how little is the difference between winning and losing. And also shows, how vital very harsh experiences in early career might turn out to be in the long run.

Hamilton's general transformation as a driver is also remarkable. While two years ago he seemed like to most immature driver among front-runners, now he seems like the calmest one! The trip on the gravel is basically his only driver error all season.

If Hamilton wins the 2010 WDC, it will possibly be remembered on the same line with Schumi '95, Senna '91, Prost '86, etc titles. A title in the second or this time even possibly third best machinery against odds and fighting an uphill battle all season. Surprisingly McLaren hit trouble with car development a few races back, but now they seem back in business and as a result Lewis' title chances look pretty good indeed.

The comparison with 1995 seems more interesting to me with every passing race, especially in terms of drivers' performances. Only that the title winner hasn't managed to pull clear of the rest of the field. Hamilton like Schumacher then is having his fourth full season in F1, which turns out to be one of their best ever. Red Bull, like Williams then, keeps collectively throwing points away both in the team's and drivers' front. And Alonso plays the role of Alesi in this comparison.

Robinho
1st September 2010, 18:42
No, no Button reloaded, please! Not another WDC who wins due to patiently waiting until the moment he get's to drive a largely faster car than the opposition.

if he beats Vettel in the same car, as well as Alonso, Hamilton and Button then its hardly undeserved. what was he supposed to do when driving a car not quick enough to even win a race? if he only gets one chance to win a title by only once being in a title winning car, and makes it there great.

its not like he's the de facto number 1 in the team so beating many peoples favourite for numerous titles in the same car has to be worth quite a lot

grandp22
1st September 2010, 18:46
I can't agreed more with you.
Lewis Hamilton definitely could be a new "Schumacher".

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 19:47

I think the Crash Kid is proving, really rather nicely, that the best car alone will not win you the championship.

The driver has to have the calibre to bring the results together.

ioan
1st September 2010, 20:03
I think the Crash Kid is proving, really rather nicely, that the best car alone will not win you the championship.

You are right. If he'd drive just a bit slower, like 99% of his potential, he would have had less crashes and also less brake and upright failures and be miles ahead Lewis in the standings. ;)

Robinho
1st September 2010, 20:57
he has taken himself out of at least podium positions 4 times now this year, outside of any car failures.

Turkey - collided with Webber
Silverstone - collided with either Lewis or Webber and punctured tyre, hit Sutil on his recovery drive
Hungary -cocked up the restart and got a drive through
Spa - made a "mistake" and crashed into Button, outside points before getting drive through and hitting Liuzzi on recovery drive.

none of those incidents were really to do with driving too fast, but could be argued to indicate poor judgement or impeteousness.

add in a slightly fragile car at the start of the year and he's not going to win. Having the best car and being the fastest driver does not win you anything, you still have to convert it into results. For all his detractors that is what Button managed last year. When he had a car advantage he capitalised on it. MS did the same, when the car was the best he gave no-one else a chance. Vettel arguabley should have done the same and should have had 4 more podiums this year, and a couple of those could easily have been wins, instead they were low or no points

jens
1st September 2010, 21:07
Silverstone - collided with either Lewis or Webber and punctured tyre, hit Sutil on his recovery drive

Unlike other incidents, this was just bad luck. You could blame Vettel for a bad start, but not for the puncture itself.

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 21:12
Unlike other incidents, this was just bad luck. You could blame Vettel for a bad start, but not for the puncture itself.

In this game you make your luck. Vettel should have known there was not room for two abreast in the corner. Drive with the head, not with your eyes wide shut!

ioan
1st September 2010, 21:33
he has taken himself out of at least podium positions 4 times now this year, outside of any car failures.

Turkey - collided with Webber
Hungary -cocked up the restart and got a drive through
Spa - made a "mistake" and crashed into Button, outside points before getting drive through and hitting Liuzzi on recovery drive.

none of those incidents were really to do with driving too fast, but could be argued to indicate poor judgement or impeteousness.

First of all he didn't really hit Sutil, he was agressive and Sutil had to get out of the way.

Second he was driving rather on the limit in the incidents with Webber and Button.

Third, it was Liuzzi who turned onto him in Spa, and this example one really showed you bias against Vettel.

Impetuous yes, poor judgement no. I reserve that for Webber's Valencia trick, that Vettel's detractors have swept under the carpet and forgot about while targeting Vettel left right and center! ;)

BTW what was Webber's penalty for destroying Kovy's race?

jens
2nd September 2010, 07:26
In this game you make your luck. Vettel should have known there was not room for two abreast in the corner. Drive with the head, not with your eyes wide shut!

Sorry, but Vettel never touched with Webber, with who he was going side-by-side into the corner. It was Hamilton, who punctured Vettel's tyre from behind and he had nothing to do about that. Had Vettel backed off and let Webber more clearly through, collision with Hamilton would have been even more likely.

Ari
2nd September 2010, 08:09

....is a pretty good point. He was surely driving with red mist through his helmet after a terrible start where everything that could go wrong, did.

Robinho
2nd September 2010, 10:44
First of all he didn't really hit Sutil, he was agressive and Sutil had to get out of the way.

Second he was driving rather on the limit in the incidents with Webber and Button.

Third, it was Liuzzi who turned onto him in Spa, and this example one really showed you bias against Vettel.

Impetuous yes, poor judgement no. I reserve that for Webber's Valencia trick, that Vettel's detractors have swept under the carpet and forgot about while targeting Vettel left right and center! ;)

i'm not sweeping anything under the carpet, nor am i a Vettel detractor, i'm quite disappointed that he has failed to put together a championship challenge this year.

I am talking about what i consider to be Vettels mistakes this year, not Webbers. You disagree where the fault lies in the incidents, thats fair enough, but i place the blame at least half on him in all of the incidents i mentioned, including Liuzzi, which IMO was 50-50 at best. As Vettel was on the outside of a left hander and they were both turning left i fail to see how Liuzzi turned into Vettel. I agree Liuzzi probably should have conceded earlier, but equally Vettel could have left a little more room - by then his race was screwed so he probably didn't care anyway.

I think he did bang wheels with Sutil at the hairpin at Silverstone, and if he didn't, it was still his error at the 1st corner that landed him down the field.

I do think Webber was mostly at fault for the Valenicia incident, but it was a mistake, so that ok isn't it - as long as drivers don't do it on purpose hard racing is ok, this is correct isn't it? he arguably should have been pulled up for causing an avoidable incident. I have never stated he shouldn't, nor that i think the stewards are entirely consistent in their application of penalties

However i do think Webber is driving with a more considered approach than Vettel and the results have shown this and i still think Turkey was mostly down to Vettel too. Vettel really should have converted more of his dominance from qually, in the fastest car, into more wins this year, like Button who you derided so much last year, managed to do when he had the advantage. If Button did it then why can't Vettel? Maybe Button's acheivments were quite impressive after all? nah, couldn't be, right? ;)

Robinho
2nd September 2010, 10:49
Sorry, but Vettel never touched with Webber, with who he was going side-by-side into the corner. It was Hamilton, who punctured Vettel's tyre from behind and he had nothing to do about that. Had Vettel backed off and let Webber more clearly through, collision with Hamilton would have been even more likely.

i disagree, he'd lost the advantage of the inside line to Webber and was losing it to Hamilton. He tried to turn in to save as much as possible when Hamilton was alreay there. He should have stayed wider or backed off a little to save a position instead of trying to make one that wasn't there. as a result he got a puncture.

Like i said before, any one of these incidents in isolation could be considered a minor mistake or even bad luck, but he has made a number of mistakes IMO which are beginning to show a pattern of what i consider to be impeteousness and poor judgement. If he can learn from them and curb that a little, like Hamilton did after his erratic first couple of seasons then i think he will become a much better driver. at the moment i consider him very very fast, but inconsistent in races.

Mark
2nd September 2010, 11:28
Like i said before, any one of these incidents in isolation could be considered a minor mistake or even bad luck, but he has made a number of mistakes IMO which are beginning to show a pattern of what i consider to be impeteousness and poor judgement. If he can learn from them and curb that a little, like Hamilton did after his erratic first couple of seasons then i think he will become a much better driver. at the moment i consider him very very fast, but inconsistent in races.

Yep, just what I was thinking. Vettel this year is what Hamilton was in 2007 and 2008, fast, but without the racecraft and experience.

Yes, Hammy won it in 2008 but I think everyone can agree that he's a much superior driver than the one we saw become champion.

F1boat
2nd September 2010, 12:39
Yep, just what I was thinking. Vettel this year is what Hamilton was in 2007 and 2008, fast, but without the racecraft and experience.

Yes, Hammy won it in 2008 but I think everyone can agree that he's a much superior driver than the one we saw become champion.

IMO in 2008 Lewis still showed drives that Vettel is yet to produce. Actually, the best win of Vettel is IMO his first.
But yes, now Lewis is much better driver and seems favorite to win the championship, but I'd be very happy if Webber wins it. It will be heartwarming...

SGWilko
2nd September 2010, 13:02

Indeed, and I did not suggest it was Webber.

My point still stands that the crash kid should have been circumspect and realised that two abreast in that corner was not possible. He should have slotted in behind Mark and Lewis. Losing 2 places is better than driving with three wheels on your wagon for the most part of lap one isn't it?

Mia 01
2nd September 2010, 13:51
Itīs gona be easy now when MacLaren has a car with traction control. From now on they are the one to beat. Traction out of turns was their weak point earlier, no moore.

ShiftingGears
2nd September 2010, 14:08
Itīs gona be easy now when MacLaren has a car with traction control. From now on they are the one to beat. Traction out of turns was their weak point earlier, no moore.

None of the teams have traction control.

Robinho
2nd September 2010, 15:16
and the noise from the engine on over-run you presumabley are mistaking for traction control is exhaust gases being fed to the blown diffuser when off throttle.

Mark
2nd September 2010, 15:17
Ah but don't you see, if any team is doing well; it's because they are cheating :rolleyes:

SGWilko
2nd September 2010, 15:33
Ah but don't you see, if any team is doing well; it's because they are cheating :rolleyes:

Mark! How very dare you. :s mokin:

SGWilko
2nd September 2010, 20:07
I'm glad you've mentioned that because its a valid point. What I don't understand is how the FIA have not also noticed the ground effect skirts and the turbo engine Mclaren are using??

Seriously Mia WTF? :s nore:

And that massive fan at the back of Button's car. Oh, sorry, that's just Vettel..........again.

wedge
3rd September 2010, 00:11
Impetuous yes, poor judgement no.

Why can't Vettel overtake cars within the top 3? Poor judgement of somekind, surely.

Webber is hot headed and gets himself into compromising positions as well as pressing the self destruct button.

I'm wondering still whether Hamilton press his self destruct button in the Far East and Abu Dhabi or has he really matured?

F1boat
3rd September 2010, 09:17
And that massive fan at the back of Button's car. Oh, sorry, that's just Vettel..........again.

LFMAO

Mia 01
8th October 2010, 19:02
Lewis is nowdays on the way down, down deep.

Bobby_Hamlin
8th October 2010, 20:25
Lewis is nowdays on the way down, down deep.

And with illegal traction control as well, very poor show Lewis!

Incidentally (and belatedly) Vettel and Sutil did touch at Silverstone as it happened right in front of our grandstand. I noticed watching it back afterwards that you couldn't quite see from the TV angle. And yes it was forceful but it got the job done in the end - he'd been close to pulling it off for several laps.

Valve Bounce
8th October 2010, 22:32
And with illegal traction control as well, very poor show Lewis!

LINK PLEASE!!

Bobby_Hamlin
8th October 2010, 23:03
LINK PLEASE!!

Sarcastic reference to that :p Try to keep up! :)

Tazio
8th October 2010, 23:43
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laugh:

2a4th10TMjM

Valve Bounce
8th October 2010, 23:56
Sarcastic reference to that :p Try to keep up! :)

Very difficult! The Bombers appear to be falling behind here in Trade Week, and this has totally consumed my focus. :(

Tazio
9th October 2010, 01:00
SO IN OTHER WORDS "YOU JUMPED IN IT ;) Sorry valve

you and I go waaaaaaaay back.

Mia 01
9th November 2010, 21:17
I for one will be very happy if either Webber or Hamilton take the title. As much as I'd like to see a British World Champion for the third consecutive year, I'd quite like to see Webber winning it!

I second that.

wattoroos
10th November 2010, 07:20
i think hamilton will need an absolute miracle to win this year

Mia 01
10th November 2010, 10:04
I think the RBR car will be just as good as this years next year and the Ferraris will also be fine.

Then itīs MacLaren, perhaps it is delveloped moore to Jensons liking next year, itīs a well known fact that Lewis can drive anything.

My money is on Seb to also take next years WDC.

Retro Formula 1
10th November 2010, 10:55
I think Lewis has done a great job getting the 3rd fastest teams car into contention going into the last race and if it wasn't for a couple of racing incidents, would still be leading the WDC.

Still, the driving style that lead to those incidents kept him in the game so you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I just hope McLaren can close the gap with Ferrari and Red Bull next year.

fandango
10th November 2010, 11:40
......itīs a well known fact that Lewis can drive anything.

Should have told him that when we was moaning in Brazil.... :)

Retro Formula 1
10th November 2010, 12:41

He had issues with tyre temp in Brazil which is quite understandable. I think the F-duct thing may have been to do with turning the wick on the engine up and not getting the increase in performance he expected (altitude) so he commented along the lines of "is my F-Duct working"?????

AFAIK, it cannot "not" work :p

Tricky place to race Brazil and if a driver dare open his mouth, he's automatically whining :D

Cooper_S
10th November 2010, 12:51
He had issues with tyre temp in Brazil which is quite understandable. I think the F-duct thing may have been to do with turning the wick on the engine up and not getting the increase in performance he expected (altitude) so he commented along the lines of "is my F-Duct working"?????

Tricky place to race Brazil and if a driver dare open his mouth, he's automatically whining :D

As the BBC pointed out Lewis was at his fastest when he made the F-Duct not working call, so whatever problems he was having I think that one was a red herring.

Simple truth was he effectively saw his WDC chances end, his team mate have and his team lost the WCC, he is a racer and he was not happy, but had they spoken to him half an hour later I'm sure his demeanor would have been better

Zico
10th November 2010, 17:53
As the BBC pointed out Lewis was at his fastest when he made the F-Duct not working call

Is it possible that the higher altitude/lower air pressure could have stopped his F-duct from working unless it was 'tuned' for that particular altitude?

donKey jote
10th November 2010, 19:50

:laugh: :up:

surprised that amount of whining never warranted a thread here... oh wait, it was Lewis ! :p

wedge
11th November 2010, 15:49

Other teams have gone for a duct that blows straight into the main plane which have worked well. This is the new duct which McLaren have been trying to get the best out of in the recent fly away races.

jens
16th November 2010, 17:54
Hamilton failed to win the title and seemed like an outsider in the end, but despite lack of attention it's still worth to mention him as well after the end of the season. Just think about it for a moment - without that wheel-rim failure at the end of the Spanish GP Hamilton would be WDC right now. At least in terms of simple maths. This shows, how close he actually got despite finishing "only" fourth in the championship in what could be considered to be perhaps the 3rd best car over a full season.

McLaren's car development troubles in the second half of the season since Silverstone were quite puzzling to me though, which saw them dropping to 4-5 in the WDC from 1-2. Usually they have been strong in in-season development. Perhaps MP4/25 wasn't fundamentally that good and by mid-season the team had found the ceiling of unveiling its potential. So it remains to be seen, what has Hamilton/McLaren combo learnt from 2010 and what can they do in 2011 and whether that effort would be enough to add that second title to their tally. Will they unveil a completely new design approach with a clean sheet of paper again like they did for 2010?

truefan72
17th November 2010, 00:16
Hamilton failed to win the title and seemed like an outsider in the end, but despite lack of attention it's still worth to mention him as well after the end of the season. Just think about it for a moment - without that wheel-rim failure at the end of the Spanish GP Hamilton would be WDC right now. At least in terms of simple maths. This shows, how close he actually got despite finishing "only" fourth in the championship in what could be considered to be perhaps the 3rd best car over a full season.

McLaren's car development troubles in the second half of the season since Silverstone were quite puzzling to me though, which saw them dropping to 4-5 in the WDC from 1-2. Usually they have been strong in in-season development. Perhaps MP4/25 wasn't fundamentally that good and by mid-season the team had found the ceiling of unveiling its potential. So it remains to be seen, what has Hamilton/McLaren combo learnt from 2010 and what can they do in 2011 and whether that effort would be enough to add that second title to their tally. Will they unveil a completely new design approach with a clean sheet of paper again like they did for 2010?

good analysis, I too was puzzled by Mclaren's lack of development, especially since they could never get that car to work right on tighter tracks. Another thing they absolutely need to work on is their pit stops. Routinely they lost time in the pits and that can't happen.

Tazio
17th November 2010, 03:18

McLaren's car development troubles in the second half of the season since Silverstone were quite puzzling to me though, which saw them dropping to 4-5 in the WDC from 1-2. Usually they have been strong in in-season development. Perhaps MP4/25 wasn't fundamentally that good and by mid-season the team had found the ceiling of unveiling its potential. So it remains to be seen, what has Hamilton/McLaren combo learnt from 2010 and what can they do in 2011 and whether that effort would be enough to add that second title to their tally. Will they unveil a completely new design approach with a clean sheet of paper again like they did for 2010?The puzzel is an apparition, Not!!!!!. McLaren put all,
not all but alot into the Rear wiing stall device, which made them very strong at Tilke tracks. That is not a knock. The platform they built the F10 was modular Fred could handle it. Massa had more problems than Vettel!

Mia 01
17th November 2010, 06:01
Both MacLaren and ferrari tried to copy the Bulls, it didnīt work one hundred percent.

Adrian Newey!!

Mia 01
17th November 2010, 06:17
Six renualts on track, impossible to pas them all. Why stay behind if you have a superior car and is a better driver?

Roamy
17th November 2010, 07:25
Hamilton has enough raw talent to win more championships. Especially when F1 quits putting their arms in a hole to stall the rear wing. F1 needs to quit the BS and let cars draft and the best driver will win.

fandango
17th November 2010, 08:23
I think Hamilton has improved greatly this season. He seems to have matured a lot. Perhaps it's from having Button as teammate, perhaps it's Whitmarsh instead of Dennis as a boss, perhaps it's from not having his dad as his manager. Who knows, it could even be his lovely earrings!
The good drives outnumbered bad ones, and even his crash in Monza was treated right: with a driver with his style there will always be races like that because he gets himself stuck in there. When he pulls it off he's a genius, when it doesn't work he's a fool. It seems he's learned to accept that that's just how he is, his team too.

He's a joy to watch drive, but an absolute pain to listen to talking.

Big Ben
17th November 2010, 11:28
Hamilton's form has been pretty good this year but the same can be said about all seasons he's been in F1 so far.... the difference is this time he actually managed to stay in the title fight with a car that wasn't a match for the RBRs. I think it's a good thing he's old man's gone too. For some reasons I find him almost not annoying by himself.

wedge
17th November 2010, 13:50
Unfortunately Hamilton still has the same chink in the armour in the second half of a season. Petulance cost him Japan, Korea and Italy but to be fair I thought he was unfortunate in Singapore which in my mind was a simple racing incident.

jens
17th November 2010, 15:21
Unfortunately Hamilton still has the same chink in the armour in the second half of a season. Petulance cost him Japan, Korea and Italy but to be fair I thought he was unfortunate in Singapore which in my mind was a simple racing incident.

Japan? Firstly he had a grid penalty for gearbox change and after having fought his way up to 4th from P8, he started suffering from the same issue in the race too.

wedge
17th November 2010, 16:32
Japan? Firstly he had a grid penalty for gearbox change and after having fought his way up to 4th from P8, he started suffering from the same issue in the race too.

Collision with Webber in Singapore did damage to the first gearbox in Japan.

Went off in FP which was unforgivable because this was in the dry compared to wet FP in Germany and lost vital FP time.

Despite his talents on Saturday and Sunday I still find it somewhat unforgivable because there will come a time when such an error will compromise the rest of his weekend.

Rollo
17th November 2010, 21:32
F1 needs to quit the BS and let cars draft and the best driver will win.

F1 cars don't draft very well.

Because the car in front disturbs the air that it passes through, cars which follow pass through disturbed air which totally mucks up the effectiveness of their front and rear wings.
Formula One cars tend to follow each other at a few car lengths for this reason.

If you really want proper drafting in F1, then the best suggestion would be to remove the front and rear wings entirely. This would result in the cars themselves probably looking more like Formula Fords, and without the downforce, the cars wouldn't be able to corner as quickly and we'd see an increase in lap times.
Somehow I just don't think that the establishment would let that fly.

CNR
17th November 2010, 22:32
1 WDC in 4 years is not looking good for all the records he he was tipped to brake certainly not the next schumacherthe way he is going

ArrowsFA1
18th November 2010, 08:11
1 WDC in 4 years is not looking good for all the records he he was tipped to brake certainly not the next schumacherthe way he is going
That's the thing about Schumacher's numbers though. Any driver will sit in the shadow of that level of dominance which we are unlikely to see again. MS has as many WDCs as Prost & Senna combined. Does that mean, by itself, that he's that much of a better driver than either of them? IMHO no.

The likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel (generally considered to be the best of the current crop) are unlikely to approach 7 WDC's in their careers, partly because they are competing against each other. That doesn't diminish their ability or achievements.

truefan72
18th November 2010, 08:30
That's the thing about Schumacher's numbers though. Any driver will sit in the shadow of that level of dominance which we are unlikely to see again. MS has as many WDCs as Prost & Senna combined. Does that mean, by itself, that he's that much of a better driver than either of them? IMHO no.

The likes of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel (generally considered to be the best of the current crop) are unlikely to approach 7 WDC's in their careers, partly because they are competing against each other. That doesn't diminish their ability or achievements.

and yet MS went 4 years before getting title #3 when many folks back then were saying he made the biggest mistake going to ferrari or that he will never win titles again.

Only time will tell how Hamilton fairs amongst the greatest. but currently amongst his contemporaries, he is tops along with Alonso, maybe even passing him this year.

555-04Q2
18th November 2010, 09:20

I think it will take a looooooooooooooong time before anyone comes close to 7 WDC's. To put into perspective how amazing MS's record is...if a driver races for 21 years, they would have to win the WDC every 3 attempts. If they race for 14 years, they would have to win the WDC every second attempt. Thats pretty daunting for anyone to try and match.

I doublt that Alonso will achieve that, but Vettel and Hamilton are still pretty young and have at least another 15 years in them if they keep fit.

airshifter
19th November 2010, 05:31
Some great points by all regarding titles, statistics, etc and how they don't always reflect on the overall talent of a driver. I've said in another thread how I doubt any driver in the current field can match the records of Schumacher.... there are far too many very talented drivers in the current field. Assuming silly season doesn't remove any of them the 2011 grid will have 5 WDCs on it, and all but one of them still young and very much in the hunt for another title.

I think Lewis will be among the top few drivers for years to come. He is improving overall IMHO, and being a more calculating driver. His speed has never been questionable and his overtaking skills can't be touched by the current top drivers.

And at a fairly young age, Lewis does have a claim which most can't make. In equal machinery, he has now proven that he has outscored 2 other WDC title holders. ;)

wedge
19th November 2010, 14:42

Schumi at the height of his powers never raced in a 'golden generation', never had the depth in quality of the competition; never had a team mate who was his equal and the inter-team politics that go with it.

ioan
20th November 2010, 00:17
Schumi at the height of his powers never raced in a 'golden generation', never had the depth in quality of the competition; never had a team mate who was his equal and the inter-team politics that go with it.

Proof needed.

Duchess
20th November 2010, 01:29
I think the fact that I didn't have to constantly fight my urge to throttle Hamilton's throat every time he appeared on-screen this season means he's made a huge improvement temperamentally. I don't know what has prompted the change, probably having Jenson for a teammate, and I don't care because finally I can kinda sorta stand the guy.

Now if only he'd stop getting too wild he might actually get another WDC someday.

Mia 01
3rd January 2011, 22:30
I just rewatched Monza 2009. Trying to catch Bunsen Lewis put it in the wall at the last lap.

Heīs a big outsider this year but if he want any chanche of the crown this year he got to calm down.

gloomyDAY
4th January 2011, 01:32
I just rewatched Monza 2009. Trying to catch Bunsen Lewis put it in the wall at the last lap.

Heīs a big outsider this year but if he want any chanche of the crown this year he got to calm down.I like Lewis and I love his racing style. He'll win another championship and I put him in the lead for another title this coming season. If McLaren have a good car ready, then Hamilton will make the most out of that opportunity. Lewis has matured enough to understand what's needed of him to win another WDC.

SGWilko
4th January 2011, 09:24
I just rewatched Monza 2009.......this year he got to calm down.

Yeah, he needs to stop trying so hard - elbow out the cockpit, one hand on the wheel, with the sounds cranked up - that oughta do it...... ;)

Mia 01
14th January 2011, 13:24
Will he be mature enough?

JackSparrow
14th January 2011, 18:29
Lewis is capable of WDC every year! In the 4years in F1 no other driver has been more successful! He did very good against his WDC teammates!

Give him a good car he will deliver!

Tazio
14th January 2011, 18:55
The Boss has admitted that off track distractions affected his performance last season.
This can be viewed as an excuse, or an admission that he lacked the life experience, or maturity if you will to completely apply himself to his job.

Despite the stoic demeanour that he carried through the hard-fought 2010 F1 season, Lewis Hamilton has admitted that there were problems away from the track that meant that he wasn't as fully focused on the job at hand as he would have liked.

The Briton remained in the hunt for a second title - to add to his 2008 triumph with McLaren - through to the season finale in Abu Dhabi, but insists that he could have been more of a factor had he not had to deal with 'personal issues'http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/28122010/23/hamilton-admits-track-problems-affected-performance.html
Wrestling the WDC away from Vettel should be motivation enough!
Given a competitive car he should be ready to produce another WDC if he can avoid unnecessary drama! :rolleyes: :p :

Mia 01
28th January 2011, 13:30
Take care and rest now, itīs training next week old chap.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3374716/Lewis-goes-one-too-many-rounds-with-Amir.html

Tazio
28th January 2011, 17:17
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3374716/Lewis-goes-one-too-many-rounds-with-Amir.html

Kimi could drink "The Boss" under the table, drive home with one hand on the steering wheel, and an ice cream cone in the other! :dozey:

CaptainRaiden
28th January 2011, 18:31

Those are two mega talented athletes right there, in their respective sports. Big deal they went for a drink. Are they not allowed to have fun during the off season? At least they got in the car and quietly drove off, unlike a certain German fella who got drunk with his brother and vandalized the Toyota garage. :p

Mia 01
28th January 2011, 23:49
Those are two mega talented athletes right there, in their respective sports. Big deal they went for a drink. Are they not allowed to have fun during the off season? At least they got in the car and quietly drove off, unlike a certain German fella who got drunk with his brother and vandalized the Toyota garage. :p

Itīs not a big deal, Lewis on the edge blind drunk and having a good time. Good luck in Valencia next week

SGWilko
29th January 2011, 10:38
Itīs not a big deal, Lewis on the edge blind drunk and having a good time. Good luck in Valencia next week

On the edge, blind drunk? You mean he is scratching his forehead, blinking and is smiling/laughing.

You also believe, I assume, that they actually did find a WWII bomber on the moon.......?

CaptainRaiden
31st January 2011, 11:04

I'm sorry, but is there any correlation between him being drunk last week with the Valencia test this week? :confused:

Tazio
31st January 2011, 20:04
I'm sorry, but is there any correlation between him being drunk last week with the Valencia test this week?

But...... What about Kimi? :kiss: :kiss: :laugh: :s mokin: :wave:

Mia 01
19th February 2011, 22:51
Could be this year perhaps, one bit depends on the car.

driveace
20th February 2011, 18:57
I hope that Lewis can produce the goods this year,and if he can keep in front of Seb,or keep up with him,but maybe ,just maybe the Macs have been sandbagging

jens
23rd February 2011, 18:37
McLaren's situation doesn't seem too optimistic now, to be frank. I don't think the situation could be as bad as in 2009, but signs indicate that they are behind Red Bull and Ferrari at least. Whether this can be turned around during the season, remains to be seen.

SGWilko
24th February 2011, 09:16
McLaren's situation doesn't seem too optimistic now, to be frank. I don't think the situation could be as bad as in 2009, but signs indicate that they are behind Red Bull and Ferrari at least. Whether this can be turned around during the season, remains to be seen.

Can't dissagree with that. However, one needs to consider that both the Ferrari and Red Bull appear more evolution, whereas the McLaren looks revolution to me. A new concept will take time to understand, and this is the learning process they are going through now. Once they integrate fully the new front wing and the trick exhausts thay are playing with, they can then concentrate on set-up and tyre sympathy projects.

I am evil Homer
24th February 2011, 10:16

Really....because I heard from an F1 insider (and also hinted in James Allen's blog) that McLaren haven't even shown their real bodywork for the first GP and that will be unveiled at the final test. Everything to date has been a data collection exercise.

Now that could be smoke and mirrors but who knows...I certainly wouldn't count them out just yet

Mia 01
24th February 2011, 16:47
For sure, they will have the fastest car on the gird come Melbourne!!

Mia 01
24th February 2011, 16:54
Another obstacle, the Pirrellis, can Lewis cope?

jens
24th February 2011, 17:26
Everyone will have new upgrades for Melbourne '11. And by the way, also back in 2009 many people didn't believe McLaren was bad until the start of the season. Not saying that they necessarily will be, but this is obviously an option.

SGWilko
24th February 2011, 21:37
Everyone will have new upgrades for Melbourne '11. And by the way, also back in 2009 many people didn't believe McLaren was bad until the start of the season. Not saying that they necessarily will be, but this is obviously an option.

Well, it was quite hard to believe they were 2.5 secs off the pace at the start of '09.....

Garry Walker
24th February 2011, 21:45

Schumi knows how to party properly :D