PDA

View Full Version : Donnington Moto Gp - Anyone Been Before?

MrJan
8th March 2007, 23:18
Pretty much what it says in the thread title (not sure how much good it'll do in a forum flooded with Aussies and Kiwis though :p : ). Me and my Dad are planning on a trip to the Moto GP this year and were wondering where would be a good place to watch. Some friends are going but plan to sit in the covered grandstand which sounds lovely as you get to see the pre race stuff and the start but I really don't feel like spending £90 to watch Gp bikes in a straight line.

Anyways was thinking that either the Melbourne Hairpin or the bottom of the Craner Curves would be the place to watch as both provide excitement and overtaking but was wondering how easy it is to get a spot where you have a decent view in these places? :D

patnicholls
9th March 2007, 00:04
Hey Jan,

I've been to Donington every year since 2001 for the GP and am going for WSB as well in a couple of weeks this year.

I tend to be at the bottom of the Craner Curves on the outside of the Old Hairpin - you can see all the way down from the first corner round to just after they go under Starkeys Bridge, and can catch a glimpse of the Foggy esses on the opposite side of the track. You also get a big screen opposite to see the rest.

If you're there for the weekend - as opposed to just the races - it can be good to have a wander and check some of the other spots during practice - if you have a look on my Fotopic site (off my profile) my pics from last year are all up there. Somewhere like the exit from Coppice is good during practice as they stop and do practice starts, and it's also good to see the bikes coming through the Foggy Esses where you can also see the final corner. The Melbourne hairpin doesn't offer a great view but you might want to try some time there - also some of the riders will come out of the paddock there on their scooters when they're not racing.

Donington's not amazing for viewing compared with Brands and Oulton Park for instance, but much better than Silverstone and seeing the bikes coming down through the Craner Curves is definitely worth the visit.

If you need any more help on Donington, give us a shout :)

seppefan
9th March 2007, 14:34
I used to watch cars there and would stand opposite the pits hoping to also see them go down the cramer curves which I could not really. Can be good as they come onto the start finish line but I find I go to Brands if I want to see the action.