PDA

View Full Version : TOCA 2 Round 5 Knockhil

tannat
30th August 2010, 21:16
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/twowheels.jpg

Season is now halfway complete-can anyone slow down the #1JTFan steamroller?

Track: Knockhill

RACE1
Weather: Sunny
Number of laps:3
Qualify: Yes
Difficulty: Expert

RACE2
Weather: Cloudy
Number of laps:5
Qualify: Yes
Difficulty: Expert

Please send qualifying time, fastest lap and total race time for each race by 12 pm midnight Hawaii time on September 5 by PM to tannat or [email:2evkyxc1]james.knowles@stjude.org[/email:2evkyxc1].

Screenshots and race descriptions invited

Car assignments

JanYeo-Peugeot
#1JTFan-Renault
AlfaFan-Vauxhall
IronRooster-Volvo
Tannat-Audi
JonBrown-Honda
Paddy-Nissan

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/Knockhilltrackmap.jpg

tannat
30th August 2010, 21:44
Fastest laps points added (#1JTFan 3 points, JonBrown 3 points, Jan Yeo 2 points)

Driver's Championship

1-#1JTFan--------------75 points (5 wins)
2-JonBrown--------------59 (2 wins)
3-Tannat----------------56 (1 win)
4-Paddy52------------ --36
5-IronRooster------------27
6-Mr Jan Yeo-------------17
7-Alfa Fan----------------14

Manufacturer's Championship

1-Ford-----------------55 points
2-Nissan---------------40
3-Volvo----------------39
4-Vauxhall-------------36
5-Peugeot-------------34
6-Audi-----------------28
7-Renault--------------27
7-Honda---------------27

tannat
30th August 2010, 21:45
Are you guys cool with the two race, short distance format?

We could do longer races if you guys wish...

Could also do mnadatory pit stops, default settings, etc etc

Let me know-only three more races left after knockhill...

Alfa Fan
30th August 2010, 22:51
Fine for me as it is. Only thing I'd say is for console players expert is really difficult with the race starts. Can't hold it on the red line with digital buttons and then after the inevitable bad start get ruined in turn 1 :(

tannat
31st August 2010, 00:59
Fine for me as it is. Only thing I'd say is for console players expert is really difficult with the race starts. Can't hold it on the red line with digital buttons and then after the inevitable bad start get ruined in turn 1 :(

Are you on PS2, AlfaFan?

Are you on digital throughout the race, or switching to analog once the car gets going..

Alfa Fan
31st August 2010, 01:24
Digital throughout! Hate the analogue sticks!

#1JamesThompsonFan
31st August 2010, 06:45
@tannat: I really dont mind about the setup of the races. I just play to the rules

@alfa fan: If you are using analog in these races, boy youve got talent

tannat
31st August 2010, 11:08
I once used digital- and the repeated tap, tap, tapping of the thumbpad was always a challenge as there was a fine line between what was necessary for a turn and a lurid spin...

I am currently using analog on my PS2, and while it is horrible on the starts (the car anteaters all over the place) once the car has reached about 100kph everything has settled.

It will be interesting to see how it behaves coming off the hairpin at this venue...

52Paddy
1st September 2010, 10:29
Wow! Didn't realise there was so many digital users! I'm analogue all the way. I find it much more precise, particularly for corners like Copse at Silverstone, when you want to go flat out.

I find it's very hard to get a good jump on the opposition. No matter how much you rev/don't rev the car, about 3 cars seem to rush past before turn 1, at any track! Is this just a game bug or am I, perhaps, botching my starts?

Anyway, for me, the rules are fine. Monkey say, monkey do :p :

Looking forward to driving the Nissan - it's a car I like. I don't know Knockhilll very well but, with it being so short, it should be easy to learn. I'll be doing well if I finish though. Friday is my only realistic opportunity to race so I'll be freeing up some time then :)

Brown, Jon Brow
1st September 2010, 12:18
I think you can only make a good start if you are starting in the second half of the grid.

tannat
1st September 2010, 13:39
I may need to make some changes for this track...

Analog steering is difficult out of the hairpin ('anteatering')

I get a better feel using hood view versus chase cam

Looks as if I'll be using the longest gears. Can almost nudge top speed on the back straight before braking for the hairpin.

Not certain if full stiff is the way to go.

Wish there was a BMW or Alfa in the garage for this game.....

52Paddy
1st September 2010, 14:37
I always use the hood cam. Far better for finding your way around the track. The only disadvantage is that when you're driving through a pack of angry racers, it's difficult to know if some numpty has his bonnet up your inside. That's usually what causes me to spin off during races.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st September 2010, 15:13
I always use the chase cam. Does anyone use manual gears?

I think I have got my qualifying pace sorted. But I am over 3 seconds a lap slower in race trim than in qualifying. I wonder if the PC version of the game runs faster in the race.

MrJan
1st September 2010, 15:33
Good old fashioned D-pad and X button for me :D Also use the auto box as I always hit the limiter when I try manual. I used to be chase cam through and through but found that the bonnet cam is smoother for the d-pad so start the race in chase mode and then switch once I'm out of the main pack :up:

tannat
1st September 2010, 19:33
I always use the chase cam. Does anyone use manual gears?

I think I have got my qualifying pace sorted. But I am over 3 seconds a lap slower in race trim than in qualifying. I wonder if the PC version of the game runs faster in the race.

I use auto gears-there may be a braking advantage with manual, but
i don't think it is measurable in lap times

I always prepare for rounds in race mode, 20 laps, expert setting-let the field run away for nearly a lap and then start my lapping. It is the only true way to get an idea of your true pace....

tannat
2nd September 2010, 13:36
I may swap to digital for this round..

Tough to be precise enough for the right left at Duffus and have it all sorted out for McIntyre, but analog works great at the chicane

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2010, 14:45
I may swap to digital for this round..

Tough to be precise enough for the right left at Duffus and have it all sorted out for McIntyre, but analog works great at the chicane

You need loads of curb at the chicane to keep your speed up.

tannat
2nd September 2010, 18:10
You need loads of curb at the chicane to keep your speed up.

What is your exit speed there, JB?

If I take too much curb I get bumped into a spin. I've been taking it ultra clean with an exit speed in the 10X mph range...

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2010, 22:49
What is your exit speed there, JB?

If I take too much curb I get bumped into a spin. I've been taking it ultra clean with an exit speed in the 10X mph range...

I can't recall my speed but I think i'm in 5th.

Every corner here is challenging. And most of them apart from the final hairpin are almost flat.

52Paddy
3rd September 2010, 01:06
I think manual gears are the way to go at fast circuits. Engine braking really keeps a flowing momentum to your lap. I don't have much experience with auto, but I like to have control over what gear I'm in.

tannat
3rd September 2010, 11:59
Guys-Monday is a holiday here in the Colonies, and I will probably not look at times until Tuesday.

Deadline for submitting times is midnight, Monday September 6.

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd September 2010, 14:49
@tannat - my exit speed at the chicane is 100+. 110+ on a perfect lap. I try and straightline it as much as possible, taking lots of curb. If you are not turning when you hit the curb you shouldn't spin off.

I have got my one lap pace down to a time that I previously would have thought was impossible. I still can't find a race pace though. It seems like during the race there is a massive pot-hole at Duffus that always spins me off.

tannat
3rd September 2010, 16:12
[quote="Brown, Jon Brow"]

Likewise...

tannat
3rd September 2010, 16:23
[quote="Brown, Jon Brow"]

This statement has me quite nervous...

You have a good mount for this round, JB...

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd September 2010, 17:04
This statement has me quite nervous...

You have a good mount for this round, JB...

The Honda is good here. But have never converted my qualifying pace into race wins. I think I have got 3 out of 4 poles so far and pole in the practice round, but few wins :(

tannat
3rd September 2010, 17:25
The Honda is good here. But have never converted my qualifying pace into race wins. I think I have got 3 out of 4 poles so far and pole in the practice round, but few wins :(

Pole count is 3 for you, 3 for #1JTFan and 2 for Jan Yeo....

tannat
4th September 2010, 11:42
So I did some laps in the Audi last night with little improvement.

Fo kicks I hopped in the Renault, and within three laps knocled 1.25 seconds off my best time in race mode....

I don't think I'll be very competitive this round :(

tannat
6th September 2010, 12:52
FYI-times due tonight, gang....

MrJan
6th September 2010, 13:11
I'll be all over this like a cheap suit later on.

#1JamesThompsonFan
7th September 2010, 06:58
Please could I ask for a 12 hour extention please, I couldnt access information as website was down last night

MrJan
7th September 2010, 09:33
Lame. Forum was down last night so couldn't get on to see what each race was :(

I'm going to watch football tonight but may be able to get some laps in afterwards if the deadline is extended. Trouble is that I can't guarantee that I won't end up in the pub and not have the time to get ther races done. Shame really as I reckon that I could get right up there in terms of pole and fastest lap (although race pace will probably be screwed by me bunging it at the scenery :D )

tannat
7th September 2010, 11:48
Extensions granted for each of you :D

52Paddy
7th September 2010, 12:34
I've been having massive trouble to with moving house. I am depending on the university computers for my internet connection at the moment. Since the extension is in place, I will try my best to get these races done today at some point, but don't hold up!

MrJan
7th September 2010, 23:34
Sorry, couldn't get this done. Someone twisted my arm to go to the pub after the football (well I say 'twisted my arm' but I actually mean 'asked if I had time for a swift half' :D )

tannat
8th September 2010, 12:01
Well, only four entries for this round...

There was the front of the field, and the back of the field.

I'm a bit ashamed of my own performance. Competitive in qulifying, but in the races I did horribly. Car drove like a s%&tbox on the first lap, and I couldn't get a decent lap out of the remaining two or four laps depending on the race.

Not a good 'Audi track', but that is at the bottom of the list...

Results within a few hours...

tannat
8th September 2010, 16:49
It was a Honda weekend at Knockhill, as John Brown redirected the championship with pole, fast lap, and wins in both races.

It was a slender entry with only four competitors making the grid for both races. Race one had Jon Brown take pole with a second to spare over the Renault of #1JTfan. Tannat in the Audi followed closely with AlfaFan in the Vauxhall in P4. The race concluded with JonBrown seven seconds ahead of the Renault driver, followed by Alfa Fan and the Audi of Tannat.

Race 2 was much the same as the first, with an identical starting grid. Again, Jon Brown had a fine run with over 17 seconds in handed from second place #1JTFan. The real excitement was for second spot, as the Renault driver just nudged the line by 4 tenths of a second ahead of the Vauxhall driver. Tannat finished in the final spot to complete a frustrating weekend….

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/race1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/race2.jpg

tannat
8th September 2010, 16:53
Driver's Championship

1-#1JTFan--------------91 points (5 wins)
2-JonBrown--------------81 (4 wins)
3-Tannat----------------66 (1 win)
4-Paddy52------------ --36
5-IronRooster------------27
6-Alfa Fan---------------26
7-Mr Jan Yeo-------------17

Manufacturer's Championship

1-Ford-----------------55 points
2-Vauxhall-------------48
3-Honda---------------47
4-Renault--------------43
5-Nissan---------------40
6-Volvo----------------39
7-Audi-----------------38
8-Peugeot-------------34

tannat
8th September 2010, 16:56
Next round will be at Oulton Park, September 13-19

Car assignments

JanYeo-Renault
#1JTFan-Vauxhall
AlfaFan-Volvo
IronRooster-Audi
Tannat-Ford
JonBrown-Nissan
Paddy-Peugeot

MrJan
8th September 2010, 18:10
Blimey! Good job I couldn't get an entry in. WHen I was messing about on Monday night I was no where near those sort of lap times :S

MrMetro
8th September 2010, 18:40
I should be able to participate in the oulton park round

Brown, Jon Brow
8th September 2010, 18:41
Practice makes perfect :D

tannat
8th September 2010, 19:16
I should be able to participate in the oulton park round

Will be good to have you back, IRooster :up:

tannat
8th September 2010, 19:18
Practice makes perfect :D

Some impressive times from you, JB :up: as well as #1 JTFan...

I was able to get into the 45s with the Audi in practice, but those laps just didn't materialize for the race.

I'm going to hit the track again and see if I can drop my times with a proper car. If I could see high 43s I'd be thrilled...

MrJan
9th September 2010, 09:42
Awesome, I've got the 17th off work so should have some decent time to do this....although I may be recovering from a nasty hangover :D

#1JamesThompsonFan
9th September 2010, 14:02
How are you getting on with reducing your lap times tannat?

tannat
9th September 2010, 14:56
How are you getting on with reducing your lap times tannat?

I'd love a full walkthrough on a fast lap, and setup advice.

I'm a bit under the weather, but had a not so greta time this AM with the Renault.

I also swapped tellys (47 inch to 32 inch) which may have affected me to some degree...

Brown, Jon Brow
9th September 2010, 22:39
I'd love a full walkthrough on a fast lap, and setup advice.

On my fastest laps I was flat through Duffus and on the brakes for McIntres. At the first split at about 10.7x. Flat through the Chicane and flat through Clark, it is critical that you hit the apex late at Clark. At the second split I'm at about 26.5. Turn in late for the hairpin to maximise your exit speed.

52Paddy
10th September 2010, 15:21
I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to race this time around. Now my gap to third in the standing is very big. I haven't got an internet connection in my house still and this is badly affecting my ability to race. I'm in the process of sorting that out but my estate doesn't have a cable from the major provider :(

Hopefully I'll be back in action soon.

#1JamesThompsonFan
11th September 2010, 11:08
Hope you get sorted soon friend