PDA

View Full Version : Delta Wing = Spec Car?

Andy Traxel
29th August 2010, 23:23
All the talk about owner's revolt against the new Dallara proposal got me to go back & look at the Delta Wing website and read all the interviews & comments from Bowlby, John Barnard, Steve Horne, etc.. I know that since yesterday the dissension is muted. But there's something about the whole Delta Wing proposal that doesn't make sense to me. I'm wondering what others think about it.

I don't see how you could write a chassis spec for the series that covered the Delta Wing features & dimension & leave any room for a second chassis builder to come up with something different. Especially if there's going to be just one tire supplier & they're going to make just one size of tires.

Everybody says they want to get away from single make/spec cars. And Bowlby said Delta Wing doesn't want to manufacture race cars, they'd expect someone else to tool up the car. But I don't see any incentive for for more than one chassis manufacturer to get onboard if they all have to make the same car. And even if someone did, it would be as good as having a spec car.

I like the analysis Bowlby & team did to come up with their design. But given their design objectives, I think they came up with a painted into a corner design that isn't going to bring multiple builders to the series.

Other thoughts?

Andy

Chamoo
30th August 2010, 00:00
As far as I can tell, the Delta Wing would had been along the same lines as the 2012 formula where someone would had built the tubs for the Delta Wing, then someone could build the aero bits. However, I think with the Delta Wing, a lot more items on the car would had been "personalized" if you will, where the suspension, wings, electronics, gearbox etc... could had been built by anyone, as long as it was approved by the league.

That is just my opinion, but this is not far off what Bowlby wanted, asides from the shape, dimensions, and overall efficiency of the car.

V12
3rd September 2010, 17:17
It might be some work but I don't see how writing a set of technical regulations that produces cars with the DW look and feel while allowing for customisation is impossible.

Look at F1 - all the cars are visibly unique to the trained eye, but at the same time all have that same general look and feel that marks them out as F1 cars.

Specify maximum front track width, forbid any sort of bodywork attachments that are asymmetrically shaped in side view, i.e. wings (not sure how it would be worded but other formulae do it for certain areas where wings are not permitted), and specify that the power unit must not be a load-bearing member, and you're halfway there.

gloomyDAY
3rd September 2010, 17:22
Delta Wing = Dildo with wheels

If this becomes the new spec car, then Indy will be a greater laughing stock.

nigelred5
3rd September 2010, 21:42
It's an arrow, not a car and it's NOT Open Wheel Racing if they go to that. Take it to Grand AM or Something. I thought the Dallara reminded me of a lawn dart until I saw the Delta wing. The Delta wing would loose what little fan base Indycar has left. I can't imagine trying to run against the wall at Indy in the thing. Put a regular front suspension on the thing and it might be accepted. I totally understand the technical aspect, but the narrow front track just looses it. Better suited to a land speed record challenge. Speed Racer was the worst movie I think I've ever seen. Why would I want to watch a real life emulation of that hot mess.?

Penske, Ganasi et al are just pissed because they weren't chosen and it's clear they aren't in charge of Indycar. If they want something in the cost range of Formula ford, it's there for the taking.

Andy Traxel
3rd September 2010, 22:36
V12 wrote:

"Specify maximum front track width, forbid any sort of bodywork attachments that are asymmetrically shaped in side view, i.e. wings (not sure how it would be worded but other formulae do it for certain areas where wings are not permitted), and specify that the power unit must not be a load-bearing member, and you're halfway there."

I don't think this is halfway there.

What other kind of car are you going to end up with if:

1) The front track width is limited to 24" & the front tire width is limited to 4"?

2) Similarly, the much wider rear track & tire width?

3) All 4 wheels have to be fully faired in by the bodywork, the width of which is dictated by the specified track widths?

4) Is the driver-adjustable torque vectoring differential is a necessary power steering system for the DW or is it just a mechanical substitute for tire stagger. If its necessary to steer such a narrow track, skinny tired car, that's another thing that will "specify" the cars.

But given the news that's come out since my original post, this discussion is probably moot. My take is that the DW proponents were figuring single chassis all along.

Andy

Mark in Oshawa
4th September 2010, 06:39
I am of the opinion the DW concept was FAR more a spec car than what is coming....

Bowlby is the only one who really understands what he has created. For any other car maker to buy in, they would have to understand what he has done, and try to make something better while all the while fitting that template. Good luck with that...engineers all over the place don't get that car....

Bowlby is paid by Chip Ganassi. You want to talk about an unfair advantage..oh man it would be there believe me....