PDA

View Full Version : Any theories on the strange McLaren-Mercedes exhaust note?

Jag_Warrior
29th August 2010, 20:10
Something related to the blown diffuser probably... but what could it be?

Zico
29th August 2010, 22:14
Im thinking something along the lines of an ALS type of throttling while off the throttle to reduce the on-off effect on the blown diffuser to reduce twitchyness at the expense of increased rear brake bias for compensation?

steveaki13
29th August 2010, 23:48
I am not clever enough to add anything to this discussion. :dozey:

So I really shouldn't have posted here.... Sorry. :s mokin:

wedge
30th August 2010, 00:15
Something related to the blown diffuser probably... but what could it be?

Doubt it though I could be wrong. McLaren has the contemporary design. Another team has there's directed more at the floor rather than into the diffuser.

Zico
30th August 2010, 09:28
Doubt it though I could be wrong. McLaren has the contemporary design. Another team has there's directed more at the floor rather than into the diffuser.

I think it was Martin Brundle iirc who comented on the strange exhaust being something to do with the blown diffuser, had me wondering how it might work also.

555-04Q2
30th August 2010, 11:05
Exhaust note? They must be cheating!

ShiftingGears
30th August 2010, 11:06
Exhaust note? They must be cheating!

Beat me to it! :p :

SGWilko
30th August 2010, 12:23
It is entirely possible it is one or both of the following;

Ignition timing on the overrun changed to create more airflow while throttle not 'on load',

or,

Position/outlet aspect/shape of exhausts is causing such strange acoustics.

Ranger
30th August 2010, 12:32
I think they may still have asymmetric exhaust outlets. They definitely had it before the blown diffuser modification.

SGWilko
30th August 2010, 12:42
I think they may still have asymmetric exhaust outlets. They definitely had it before the blown diffuser modification.

Not quite. The exhaust pipes are same diameter and profile for both banks of the engine, but the cooling outlets in the bodywork from into which the exhausts would exit, where asymetrical, due to differing cooling requirements of water and oil radiators, which reside on opposite sides of the car.

Zico
30th August 2010, 12:56
It is entirely possible it is one or both of the following;

Ignition timing on the overrun changed to create more airflow while throttle not 'on load',

or,

Position/outlet aspect/shape of exhausts is causing such strange acoustics.

Yes, it was the note on the overrun that it sounded the most noticable difference

I found this technical PDF that looks at all the F1 Season 2010 - Aerodynamic & Mechanical Updates - Version 3
Updated 7th June 2010 includes blown diffusers, very informative and interesting.

http://www.f1-forecast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=161&lang=en

..though I think we wil have to wait for version 4 to see details of the latest McLaren updates.

Saint Devote
31st August 2010, 01:19
This is something that Pat Symonds wrote about in F1 Racing over a month ago. While he was at Renault they worked on it but could not get it to work reliably.

He reckons that Red Bull already have some such system on the RB6 only the engine not change is not as pronounced as on the RB6. There were quite a few in pitlane that noticed the RBR possibility quite a few months ago - hence this is Mclaren following the RBR lead.

I reckon it is a form of traction control but there is a loophole because TC is banned as a controlling of the rear wheels directly - not throttle-ignition.

Roamy
31st August 2010, 03:15
they were sucking water off the track and funneling it through the exhaust

Valve Bounce
31st August 2010, 04:23
Possibly a resonance inducer for the diffuser.

SGWilko
31st August 2010, 09:33
This is something that Pat Symonds wrote about in F1 Racing over a month ago. While he was at Renault they worked on it but could not get it to work reliably.

He reckons that Red Bull already have some such system on the RB6 only the engine not change is not as pronounced as on the RB6. There were quite a few in pitlane that noticed the RBR possibility quite a few months ago - hence this is Mclaren following the RBR lead.

I reckon it is a form of traction control but there is a loophole because TC is banned as a controlling of the rear wheels directly - not throttle-ignition.

We may be at cross purposes here, but I read somewhere - of course, now I want to find it, do you think I can??? - that RBR are using the overrun ignition in qually, but for reliability, as their solution has an impact on engine life, it is not used in the races.

SGWilko
31st August 2010, 09:34
Possibly a resonance inducer for the diffuser.

Bit like a flux capacitor? ;)

Mia 01
31st August 2010, 10:09
Itīs obviously traction control who is forbidded. Cheaters.

Time for Horner to act!

But ofcourse, the ECU is made by MacLaren for all teams.

Clever.

wedge
31st August 2010, 13:11
Ignition retardation? That would melt the exhausts unless McLaren found something with the ECU?

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/red-bull-map-q-the-secret-to-the-teams-q3-pace/

Of course this gain doesn’t come for free, the heat of combustion now takes place in the exhaust port, so that the exhaust valve, cylinder head and exhaust pipe all suffer excessive heat. This will affect them, as they cannot withstand this sort of thermal load for long periods. Equally the process burns additional fuel, in the race this is a negative thing as fuel is limited and no refuelling is allowed.

Mark
31st August 2010, 13:13
We may be at cross purposes here, but I read somewhere - of course, now I want to find it, do you think I can??? - that RBR are using the overrun ignition in qually, but for reliability, as their solution has an impact on engine life, it is not used in the races.

That would explain their qualifying pace then! And how they can't manage to put it together in the races.

RJL25
31st August 2010, 13:30
its just evidence that they are cheating...

to be serious, obviously it's to do with the blown diffuser, they've done something very tricky and far too complicated for us normal people to understand in order to maintain steady exhaust flow when off the throttle.

ShiftingGears
31st August 2010, 13:40
Ignition retardation? That would melt the exhausts unless McLaren found something with the ECU?

That was my first thought - surely it's not just what RBR already do for qualifying.

Mark
31st August 2010, 14:17
I thought I'd do a bit of googling on this and put in "McLarens exhaust note" and got this thread as the first result!

Zico
31st August 2010, 18:08
That would explain their qualifying pace then! And how they can't manage to put it together in the races.

It all makes sense now..

Sonic
31st August 2010, 19:44
I thought I'd do a bit of googling on this and put in "McLarens exhaust note" and got this thread as the first result!

Because we are the only ones smart enough to notice ;) LOL!

Jag_Warrior
31st August 2010, 20:01

Hot diggity dog! I made the funny papers! :bounce: :D

It's too bad we can't get Steve Matchett to post here. But I guess he mostly hangs around the SpeedTV board when he does post.