PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Day

wedge
29th August 2010, 14:32
Kubica

Hawkmoon
29th August 2010, 14:34
Kubica, Hamilton and Webber all drove well. I'll give it to Kubica for doing it in a car that isn't really a match for the other two.

F1boat
29th August 2010, 14:34
Lewis for me...

Marshall
29th August 2010, 14:35
Petrov...I think he made amends for yesterday's error.

ioan
29th August 2010, 14:35
Kobayashi, he did great, again, with a not so great car.

UltimateDanGTR
29th August 2010, 14:38
Lewis, Kubica and Webber-cool for (nearly) all the race and drove exceptionally well

honourable mention to kobayashi, schumacher and massa-who drove a quiet and calm race to 4th.

ShiftingGears
29th August 2010, 14:39
All the podium finishers, but especially Hamilton.

Gibbsy
29th August 2010, 14:39
Sebastian Vettel :D

truefan72
29th August 2010, 14:41
In this order

1.Hamilton - brilliant start, top pace and managed a wonderful race
2. Schumacher - 21'st to 7 is pretty awesome + 14 grid spots
3. Petrov - 23'rd to 9 is pretty awesome + 14 grid spots
4. Kobayashi - 17'th to 9 is pretty awesome + 8 grid spots & kept Alonso behind him
5. Rosberg - 14'th to 6 is pretty awesome + 8 grid spots and nice pass at the end
6. Kubica - solid race was in the top 3 all race long
7. Webber - poor start but made it back well to finish 2nd. minimized his loss.

shurik
29th August 2010, 14:42
Schumi and Petrov

VkmSpouge
29th August 2010, 14:43
Strangely all the top three had imperfect races. Mark Webber's poor start, Lewis Hamilton running off track and Robert Kubica going too deep into his pit box. I do think all three drove very well.
Also a mention for Adrian Sutil coming home in 5th.

truefan72
29th August 2010, 14:44
Kubica, Hamilton and Webber all drove well. I'll give it to Kubica for doing it in a car that isn't really a match for the other two.

I think it is safe to assume that the Renault is now fairly on par with RBR, Mercedes and Ferrari, especially now that their F-duct is probably the 2nd best out there.

At a certain point you have to accept the fact the Renault are pretty darn competitive now and can challenge for podiums at any given race from now on. But Kubica did do a good job.

Ent
29th August 2010, 15:19
Strangely all the top three had imperfect races. Mark Webber's poor start, Lewis Hamilton running off track and Robert Kubica going too deep into his pit box. I do think all three drove very well.
Also a mention for Adrian Sutil coming home in 5th.

Totally agree. The top 3 all made mistakes. My vote to Sutil as well.

steveaki13
29th August 2010, 15:20
Firstly not a driver but who ever built the right rear of Alonso's Car.

How he didn't have to retire after Rubens hit him I am still not sure.

steveaki13
29th August 2010, 15:23
As for drivers.

Hamilton - A good win

Webber -Calm recovery after a poor start

Sutil - A fine 5th, he could have been higher if he had done a Mercedes and held off changing drys while waiting for the rain.

Garry Walker
29th August 2010, 15:23
Hamilton, Kobayashi. Kubica was impressive too.

keysersoze
29th August 2010, 15:29
It's hard to fault a driver on a day like today--so many changing conditions. The top three deserve kudos for not magnifying their mistake, particularly Hamilton.

Petrov, of course, benefited from the first lap chaos to hoist himself to 11th early on, but he could have finished 7th, ahead of both Mercedes drivers. He pitted while ahead of them, then made up enough track position to be only 4 seconds from the pair before the rain hit. Both of the silver cars hadn't pitted, and if the rain had held off I think Vitaly would've beaten them. Still, a solid drive.

Of all the front-running teams, only Vettel underachieved--maybe Fernando, too.

steveaki13
29th August 2010, 15:31
I forgot Kubica.

Although he cost himself 2nd he still mixed it up with Mclaren's and Red Bulls.

Triumph
29th August 2010, 15:31
Lewis, obviously.

Roamy
29th August 2010, 15:33
pretty easy choice --- Hamilton did everything a champion should do !!!

UltimateDanGTR
29th August 2010, 15:37

what do you mean just like raikkonen? having previously won the world championship, he then goes rally driving a few years after :D

truefan72
29th August 2010, 16:15
what do you mean just like raikkonen? having previously won the world championship, he then goes rally driving a few years after :D

I would go rallying too if mclaren paid me $40 million to leave :\

ioan
29th August 2010, 16:22

You work for McLaren?

UltimateDanGTR
29th August 2010, 18:24

I assume you mean ferrari.

and I was reffering to hamilton's rally driving at the hairpin in the race today, incase anyone hadn't twigged ;)

i_max2k2
29th August 2010, 18:31
Lewis, Webber, Schumi & Sutil.

Anderton
29th August 2010, 19:55
Kubica, no doubt about it.

Lewis obviously drove a great race, leading every lap, but Kubica doing so well in a Renault is great work.

Jag_Warrior
29th August 2010, 20:03
Hamilton. :up: I was on the edge of my seat for most of the race, but particularly the last 8-10 laps. Fantastic job by Lewis of managing the conditions, when he probably should have been brought in a lap earlier.

Mia 01
29th August 2010, 20:05
Today it was Lewis.

rohanweb
29th August 2010, 20:44

spot on mate.

Lewis Hamilton delivered in very difficult conditions..Kobayashi kept Alonslow behind.. Petrov, Sutil all very good.

Ari
30th August 2010, 04:38
Webber for sure!

He had a clutch issue at the start. Wasn't driver error his start. He told the team it bogged down on his warm up lap and they made a few changes which apparently made it worse in the end!

Hamilton ran off the road and was an inch away from binning it into the wall, can't be driver of the day for mine.

Kubica was better than Hamilton. Took a lesser car than the McLaren and Red Bull to the podium but made a mistake in the pits which lost a position.

Webber for mine!

race_director
30th August 2010, 04:39
for me, there were no drivers. the true hero's were the marshell's who did a great job

Roamy
30th August 2010, 06:35
In this order

4. Kobayashi - 17'th to 9 is pretty awesome + 8 grid spots & kept Alonso behind him
5. Rosberg - 14'th to 6 is pretty awesome + 8 grid spots and nice pass at the end

are you sh!tting me. Schum in the championship car- redesigned especially for him - fastest engine - and can't beat his teammate after driving over his wing and this is somehow awesome?

The only thing that was Awesome on this day was Hamiltion - period end of story!!

AJP
30th August 2010, 08:06
I know this will sound like I am biased...but for me I will give it to Webber, as in the past, when things haven't gone well, he has sometimes made silly mistakes. This drive showed a great level of maturity and focus.

Also great to see TIMMEEYYYY on the podium too...he deserves this after a pretty horrible year in the Renault.

I also enjoyed watching the Force India guys...well done to them.

Ari
30th August 2010, 08:07
In this order

Ummmm, Webbers poor start was due to a MECHANICAL issue... not one of his own.

He basically put it on pole and then clawed back from 7th to 2nd in the wet and he gets the 7th best ride? Uhmmmmm

pino
30th August 2010, 10:28
The only thing that was Awesome on this day was Hamiltion - period end of story!!

:up:

truefan72
30th August 2010, 11:35
Ummmm, Webbers poor start was due to a MECHANICAL issue... not one of his own.

He basically put it on pole and then clawed back from 7th to 2nd in the wet and he gets the 7th best ride? Uhmmmmm

first of all he made it on the list
second, screwing up the start, and basically holding station and making only one pass on the track on lap 2 to take 5th from massa is not exactly a cracker of a race. Button/vettel fell out in front of him and he basically had no answer for kubica and leaped to 2nd after the pitstop. Then got the safety car and was right behind hamilton and could not challenge for the lead ( although I will give him a slight pass and chalk it to smart driving for points) but the race was rather unspectacular from my pov and yet I still gave him 7th in my driver of the race. the other 5 ahead of him all battled hard to get to their respective spots and made many passes to achieve their final results. To me that merits a bit higher seeding in my honors.

I'm not having a go at Webber. I was was actually very pleased with the result and look forward to a dynamite battle between he and Hamilton.But in this race his performance was 7th best in my book.

truefan72
30th August 2010, 11:41
are you sh!tting me. Schum in the championship car- redesigned especially for him - fastest engine - and can't beat his teammate after driving over his wing and this is somehow awesome?

...and that is why Hamilton was number one in my book right?

listen. I got to give credit where credit is due. If I told you before the start of the race that MSC will finish 7th would you have believed me?

Both he and Rosberg drove on one set of tires for more than 30 laps and clawed their way into the points in a car clearly not as good as even the Sauber imo
don't let your hatred of MSC blind you to a good result. I'm no fan of his either but it was an epic result for Mercedes GP and two drivers even went at it twice!

Petrov was even more impressive and if the rain did not come, would have finished 5th or 6th so I rate that performance very good as well along with kobayashi and lastly, WEbber.

Lewis was masterful, but others also drove outstanding races.

N4D13
30th August 2010, 15:00
I would say Webber - I don't remember him making a single mistake during the entire race, as his bad start wasn't his fault, but a clutch problem. Hamilton drove superbly, but he was extremely close to retiring when he came off - 10 km/h faster and Webbo would have won the race.

If there's any mistake which Webber did and I didn't remember, then Hamilton is my pick. Kubica comes after.

ioan
30th August 2010, 18:08
first of all he made it on the list
second, screwing up the start, and basically holding station and making only one pass on the track on lap 2 to take 5th from massa is not exactly a cracker of a race. Button/vettel fell out in front of him and he basically had no answer for kubica and leaped to 2nd after the pitstop. Then got the safety car and was right behind hamilton and could not challenge for the lead ( although I will give him a slight pass and chalk it to smart driving for points) but the race was rather unspectacular from my pov and yet I still gave him 7th in my driver of the race. the other 5 ahead of him all battled hard to get to their respective spots and made many passes to achieve their final results. To me that merits a bit higher seeding in my honors.

I'm not having a go at Webber. I was was actually very pleased with the result and look forward to a dynamite battle between he and Hamilton.But in this race his performance was 7th best in my book.

Fully agreed.

Daika
31st August 2010, 01:06

If it werent for the safety car Schumacher would be ahead of Rosberg by 15 sec or so. I partial agree. I would have put Schumacher in the top 5 drive if he was able to finish ahead of Rosberg.

Saint Devote
31st August 2010, 01:40
Jenson Button - he moved from 5th to 2nd prior to the accident with Vettel and on lap two though, with rain falling and everyone on slicks - this was Button territory and, sure enough, Jenson's second lap was way quicker than everyone except for Lewis, who was within half a second slower than Jense.

Who knows how the afternoon would have panned out if dear old Sebastion had not done a "porridge".

Roamy
31st August 2010, 03:12
...and that is why Hamilton was number one in my book right?

listen. I got to give credit where credit is due. If I told you before the start of the race that MSC will finish 7th would you have believed me?

Both he and Rosberg drove on one set of tires for more than 30 laps and clawed their way into the points in a car clearly not as good as even the Sauber imo
don't let your hatred of MSC blind you to a good result. I'm no fan of his either but it was an epic result for Mercedes GP and two drivers even went at it twice!

Petrov was even more impressive and if the rain did not come, would have finished 5th or 6th so I rate that performance very good as well along with kobayashi and lastly, WEbber.

Lewis was masterful, but others also drove outstanding races.

Please see post #35

SGWilko
31st August 2010, 09:28
Jenson Button - he moved from 5th to 2nd prior to the accident with Vettel and on lap two though, with rain falling and everyone on slicks - this was Button territory and, sure enough, Jenson's second lap was way quicker than everyone except for Lewis, who was within half a second slower than Jense.

Who knows how the afternoon would have panned out if dear old Sebastion had not done a "porridge".

You need to factor in the damaged wing, which ultimetely kept JB from challenging for the win before dopey b*****s decided he wanted a side-on view of JB's sidepod and thought how great a pic it would be if there was a mist in the air......

Saint Devote
31st August 2010, 12:04
You need to factor in the damaged wing, which ultimetely kept JB from challenging for the win before dopey b*****s decided he wanted a side-on view of JB's sidepod and thought how great a pic it would be if there was a mist in the air......

Indeed. He drove magnificently :D

I think that 2010 is one of those character building seasons for Vettel that drivers experience. The cpmparative inexperience of a team such as RBR to Mclaren or Ferrari and not having a central figure such as Ross the Boss cannot be underestimated.

Even Schumi required guidance during his dominant Ferrari years and Briatore was invaluable at Benetton.

truefan72
31st August 2010, 21:08
Please see post #35

that is your entire counter argument?

how about just admitting you overreacted and perhaps there is some truth to what I said, instead of hiding behind the moderator. :|

ioan
31st August 2010, 21:13

Just wait until fousto, I mean Roamy, starts his theories about MS! ;)

Robinho
31st August 2010, 21:47
I'd like to say Lewis, after all he won well, but the trip through the gravel was a bit lucky. Mark drove well after his poor start although he mostly picked up the pieces. Kubica was great, but lost 2nd by overshooting the pits.

The Mercs went well, but that was as much about staying out on the hard slicks and waiting for the rain. Button was going well, and had he made it to the pit stops i think he would have had a new wing on and who knows (probably only 2nd, but likely would have been closer to Lewis than Webber was when he took his trip through the gravel, but we'll never know)

That pretty much leaves me with Massa and Sutil, so i'll go for Sutil, as Massa didn't seem to do much.

i_max2k2
1st September 2010, 01:12
If it werent for the safety car Schumacher would be ahead of Rosberg by 15 sec or so. I partial agree. I would have put Schumacher in the top 5 drive if he was able to finish ahead of Rosberg.

I think during the restart he got slowed down by a backmarker on eau rouge. I dont think it was his fault that he slipped below Rosberg.

woody2goody
1st September 2010, 03:04
1. Hamilton
2. Schumacher
3. Petrov
4. Sutil

I would have put de la Rosa in there as well, until he went off the course late on, and Liuzzi did a good job as well :)

Roamy
1st September 2010, 03:38
[quote="truefan72"]that is your entire counter argument?

how about just admitting you overreacted and perhaps there is some truth to what I said, instead of hiding behind the moderator. :| [/QUOTE

what part of "period end of story" are you not getting????

ioan
1st September 2010, 17:36

how about just admitting you overreacted and perhaps there is some truth to what I said, instead of hiding behind the moderator. :|

Lack of arguments => aggressive posts!

truefan72
2nd September 2010, 04:03

the part where you avoid any serious discussion and instead hide behind a moderator, as if his opinion is somehow the gospel, and then summarily decide for yourself that the discussion is over because you really don't have much in a way of countering my points. I find this kind of behavior rather abhorrent and suggest that if you are going to come on this forum and lambaste a member's post then be prepared to defend your position. If not, I suggest plenty of other things to do in life than wasting everyone's time here.

I think now it's truly over :|

Roamy
2nd September 2010, 04:48
What could there possibly be to defend - Hamilton showed up and kicked Butt.
He did a laugher on all the WOW driver of the day. What the hell are you on about. this is one of the greatest tracks in F1 and when you kick Butt on this track there is NO honorable mention. Christ you want to argue about the color of pure water