PDA

View Full Version : SAAB

Sulland
29th August 2010, 11:02
What are the odds on SAAB coming back into Rally with a car in some class in the coming years ?

Any more rumors anywhere ?

Tomi
29th August 2010, 11:11
1:80 is my guess.

Zeakiwi
29th August 2010, 12:05
Historic class is a possibility. Is there a ready supply of cars in a museum ?

Sulland
29th August 2010, 12:33
At least the SAAB bosses have an interest: http://www.maxattack.net/

Woodeye
29th August 2010, 17:01
Hehehe... I'd say something like 1:1000. Most of the Saab cars are sold in Nordics and the whole company nearly died last year. Before it was bought by Spyker, a company who produces something like 16 cars a year. I think they should focus keeping Saab alive instead of wasting money to WRC team...

Zeakiwi
5th September 2010, 02:49
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motorsport/news/article.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10671014

Perhaps one day he might be a 'Kimi' of his generation.

Andre Oliveira
16th March 2011, 21:28
SAAB confirms 2013 WRC entrie.

http://www.deporgoo.es/motor/noticia/wrc-saab-llegara-en-2013-toyota-y-renault-se-lo-plantean_16887.html

http://www.ralisonline.net/pt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1109 :s aab-entra-no-wrc&catid=69:wrc&Itemid=128

Gard
17th March 2011, 06:56
Hehehe... I'd say something like 1:1000. Most of the Saab cars are sold in Nordics and the whole company nearly died last year. Before it was bought by Spyker, a company who produces something like 16 cars a year. I think they should focus keeping Saab alive instead of wasting money to WRC team...

So you have NO faith in WRC's ability to market a brand. No wonder it's hard to get sponsors. Marketing is the key factor to keep a brand selling and you don't think WRC is good marketing?

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 07:49
I will not believe this before i see a an official saying!

cali
17th March 2011, 08:07
I will not believe this before i see a an official saying!
Same here, but surely this would be good news if this rumour should end up being true

noel157
17th March 2011, 09:15
+1. I will wait until official press release. But yes, if true it would be great news.

Hartusvuori
17th March 2011, 09:18
For sure this need more comfirmation than some article on website, but like said, more the merrier.

And what about Toyota or Renault?

N.O.T
17th March 2011, 09:30
it will not happen...

MikeD
17th March 2011, 09:56
For sure this need more comfirmation than some article on website, but like said, more the merrier.

Renault has full commitment as an engine supplier in F1. They won't expand into the WRC. And I think Toyota has other things on their mind right now...

AndyRAC
17th March 2011, 11:32

Toyota were/are interested in returning to top line Motorsport. Japan wanted a Sportscar programme, TTE/Koln wanted a Rally programme. The only requirement was for a customer programme. So Toyota are supplying customer engines to the Rebellion team in LMP racing. Whether anything else is planned, who knows?

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 11:35
I dont think so either.

bluuford
17th March 2011, 15:15
Latest rumors tell that official announcement will be in Portugal as well (Saab).

Barreis
17th March 2011, 15:31
Very nice..

Tom206wrc
17th March 2011, 16:07
it will not happen...

+1...they are currently struggling in making/selling new road cars...so thinking of any kind of motorsport... :rolleyes:

DonJippo
17th March 2011, 16:30
+1...they are currently struggling in making/selling new road cars...so thinking of any kind of motorsport... :rolleyes:

Don't you think this would be exactly the reason for Saab to enter rallying...remember Peugeot in mid 80's with 205... Ofcourse world is different now than back in 80's but in right market areas rallying still is a good marketing tool.

Mirek
17th March 2011, 17:10
it will not happen...

Why? Antonov has more than enough money to run WRC project. AFAIK he bought a major share in Spyker (owner of Saab) and also a major share in ISC - WRC promoter. I think that 1+1 equals 2...

rv65
17th March 2011, 17:33
Toyota were/are interested in returning to top line Motorsport. Japan wanted a Sportscar programme, TTE/Koln wanted a Rally programme. The only requirement was for a customer programme. So Toyota are supplying customer engines to the Rebellion team in LMP racing. Whether anything else is planned, who knows?

If Toyota does WRC, then it will be sometime in 2013, though 2012 is a possibility. There are some rumors by a Japanese poster, which said that Toyota did a top secret suspension test for a possible WRCar. I've heard a rumor from an American site that said, that Toyota was going to do both LeMans and WRC within a few years. This might be odd, but stranger things have happened for sure.

It's obvious for Toyota to sell engines to Rebellion as that engine similar to the one Toyota uses in Formula Nippon and SuperGT.

Mirek
17th March 2011, 17:41
I also heard that Toyota already tested...

Barreis
17th March 2011, 17:44
It would be so good that ford faggs leave the sport and new manufacturers come in.. :)

Mirek
17th March 2011, 17:45
How would Ford leaving WRC made the championship better? Explain, please.

Barreis
17th March 2011, 17:54
If you're smart enough you'll easily conclude that they (MSport and Prodrive) ruined sport with that principle:WHOEVER PAY CAN DRIVE. Must be THE BEST DRIVERS DRIVE and not we'll wait for years (as they waited with Latvala and Hirvonen) until they learn how to drive without crashing (and crying - just saw Latvala's few silly fagg situations)..

Mirek
17th March 2011, 17:59
Thanks, now I know that I'm not smart enough to see how M-Sport working destroyed the sport.

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:01
Super. :D

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 18:23
Are you kidding me? You are blaming this on M-Sport and Prodrive? This is how reality is now in the Wrc, and its not just M-sport and Prodrive. Citroen Sport as well has their pay-and drive-drivers. I dont know if you follow the Wrc But next week we will have a dutch son-of-a-millionare without any talent what so ever on the start. In a car ran by not M-sport not Prodrive but Citroen Sport. They have hire their drivers for PR and Money in Raikkonen just like Ford does with Block. They even had Rautenbach. The worst driver i have ever seen, who actually god his money from his dad who was friends with the president of Zimbabwe. Talk about destroying the sport?

Ahh.. why am i discussing this with you? Just the way you speak tells us that you don't have a clue. You just hate Ford and Latvala and Hirvonen for no reason and since you cant come up with any proper reasons to hate them, you just pour crap over them like this and talk about faggs and crying and silly.

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:28
Reported.

cali
17th March 2011, 18:34
Reported.

You must be joking ....

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 18:36
Ah so thats over the limit? Ohh im sorry. Seriously you are talking with an extremly patronizing tone all the time, but you cant take that without reporting?

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:39
I didn't call you BS personified. I have my own opinion and will write it whenever I want without hating anybody from the forum.

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 18:44
And your opinion is that Latvala is a fag?

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:45
I don't argue with you anymore.

Rallyper
17th March 2011, 18:50
Barreis = N.O.T.??? At least kind of same b******t. Does not deserve answers and replies.

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:52
Reported.

Juha_Koo
17th March 2011, 18:53
Somewhat relevant to the thread.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlPfQi9sXI#t=00m29s

:D

Barreis
17th March 2011, 18:54
+1 :D

pino
17th March 2011, 19:07
Dear friends, let's quit insults and personal comments...thank you !

Jake Stephens
17th March 2011, 20:18
I think that if the finger is to be pointed, it should start with the FIA, namely, Mr. Morrie Chandler. The argument that M-Sport/Prodrive are at fault is without basis IMHO, cause & effect is the issue with WRC.

Andre Oliveira
17th March 2011, 20:30
Ford loves the rallies, winning or not. It's passion!

Andre Oliveira
17th March 2011, 20:46
http://rallyreportnewsworld.com/

alleskids
17th March 2011, 20:56
The Saab brand acquired by the Dutch manufacturer Spyker, owned by Russian tycoon passionate rallies, Vladimir Antonov has announced he will compete in the World Rally Championship from 2013.
The decision has been realized at these times and the model chosen for the entry of the Swedish company would be 9-1 or 9-2 in his absence, with which Conversports Spiker Initiatives hired as pilot for the program stable WRC to promising young conductor of Russian origin, Evgeny Novikov.
Who recently returned to participate in the world to pilot the Ford Fiesta RS WRC Stobart English structure, with a total of 8 races in the division during the 2011 season.
Other relevant information that Vladimir Antonov has purchased the exclusive rights to the WRC North One British firm has produced a shock today very valuable in sports betting and financial discipline with the arrival of Saab, together with those already Novikov MINI confirmed, soon VW and Toyota would join in that decision in the medium term.
Saab to return to republish the resounding success of the old age of 70 years with the Swede Stig Blomqvist and Per Eklund joins the category with many ambitions with the idea is to have voice in the world of drift controlled, adding more engineers and technicians renowned in the field.

alleskids
17th March 2011, 21:02
And how would be the devellopers of the Saab WRCar with Novikov as lead driver? Having the budget in place with Antonov, now they only need a good company to really make a WRcar out of a Saab and run and service the car in WRC. Who can/wants to do it?

Barreis
17th March 2011, 21:32
http://rallyreportnewsworld.com/

I'm impressed..

A.F.F.
17th March 2011, 21:45
Isn't fag supposed to be written with only one g?

J.Lindstroem
17th March 2011, 21:46
Patrik Flodin is swedish is driving for the russian team Usbenski,i can imagine that he has a lot of russian contacts and so on. Maybe he can be involved in this?

bluuford
17th March 2011, 22:28
And how would be the devellopers of the Saab WRCar with Novikov as lead driver? Having the budget in place with Antonov, now they only need a good company to really make a WRcar out of a Saab and run and service the car in WRC. Who can/wants to do it?

Tommi!

Tom206wrc
18th March 2011, 06:01
Don't you think this would be exactly the reason for Saab to enter rallying...remember Peugeot in mid 80's with 205... Ofcourse world is different now than back in 80's but in right market areas rallying still is a good marketing tool.

But to enter a motorsport you must have budget !!!! Where to find budget if you don't sell correctly your product :confused:

Tom206wrc
18th March 2011, 06:04
I also heard that Toyota already tested...

I fear with the terrible japanese earthquake and Tsunami tragedy all that should be postponed fo longtime :(

Gard
18th March 2011, 07:37
Even more important for japanese makes to be wisible. First marketing, then the sales can come. Basic.

If any blame should be placed for ruining WRC. It must be PSA for pouring in insane amount of money and make WRC way to expensive to be competitive in.

DonJippo
18th March 2011, 10:03
But to enter a motorsport you must have budget !!!! Where to find budget if you don't sell correctly your product :confused:

Like have been said already don't under estimate the amount of money behind Saab that is not a problem.

wildsir
18th March 2011, 10:12
Even more important for japanese makes to be wisible. First marketing, then the sales can come. Basic.</p>

*</p>

If any blame should be placed for ruining WRC. It must be PSA for pouring in insane amount of money and make WRC way to expensive to be competitive in.
Dont blame PSA for being a true factory team. Its only 10% of whats required in F1, so its still 'cheap'

tfp
19th March 2011, 00:29
Even more important for japanese makes to be wisible. First marketing, then the sales can come. Basic.

+1 :up:

Mise
19th March 2011, 08:27
Dont blame PSA for being a true factory team. Its only 10% of whats required in F1, so its still 'cheap'

And the marketing value in rally is 0,1 % compared to F1.
So blame PSA for pouring in insane amount of money and make WRC way to expensive to be competitive in.

Barreis
19th March 2011, 09:02
+1

cali
19th March 2011, 09:04
And the marketing value in rally is 0,1 % compared to F1.
So blame PSA for pouring in insane amount of money and make WRC way to expensive to be competitive in.
don't fully agree - WRC has made Subaru a huge success, look what they were before their rallying era.

Barreis
19th March 2011, 09:33
15 or 20 years ago it was different (better values). Today is everything based on TODAY. After ten days nobody asks for you, this and that (quick living and hunger for quick success).

cali
19th March 2011, 12:50
15 or 20 years ago it was different (better values). Today is everything based on TODAY. After ten days nobody asks for you, this and that (quick living and hunger for quick success).

You have to make values, not expect the surrounding enviroment treat you like a queen. Also tomorrow is different from today. It has been success before and can be in future as well - Subaru has been a good example, also Audi gained their legendary status in rallying. This still can be possible today and tomorrow ... but if you only whinge, then ofcourse nothing good will happen ...

Barreis
19th March 2011, 13:05
I thought about this comparation between subaru and suzuki.. Subaru started and went through hard times without stopping for 20 years and suzuki came in WRC and immidietly quit after only one year without results.

sollitt
19th March 2011, 19:57
WRC has made Subaru a huge success, look what they were before their rallying era.
I think this is quite an overstatement. There's no question that success at WRC has helped enhance Subaru market standing however they were already making strong inroads into the 4WD recreational vehicle scene before they entered WRC and it is this, not the racer market, that has been their commercial success.