PDA

View Full Version : CoT RAVE!

blakebeatty
8th March 2007, 16:48
Too much ranting, i know there are other people who like the design.

I think that the addition of a "bumper" structure, the air intakes being repositioned allowing for grille decals, the fact that the nose doesn't slope all the way to the ground, and the wing vs the spoiler make it look much more like a production car. You cannot argue that the current car looks more like a production car. Last time i saw a charger on the street, the grille wasnt 4 inches from the ground.

I think that equal aero will put more owness on the drivers to compete, and (as it should be) a competition of driver skill. (even if this is a hinderance to the likes of Dale Earnhardt Jr). Remember when the Pontiac Grand Prix wasn't aero efficient enough and Tony cried. Remember when the Dodge teams could keep the back of their cars on the track, and they sucked. Remember? Well forget it, none of this is relevant any more. If you want to see manufacturers competing for a faster car, look at the mess that is formula 1. Do you know how many races were won by a team other than Ferrari and Renault? ONLY ONE! and it was because each of the two Ferraris and the two Renaults suffered failures or accidents.

The design of the car cannot hurt the racing any... Less aero push due to better air flow behind the car. You cannot argue this one, it was engineered this way... by ENGINEERS. The racing is either going to stay the same, or maybe get better, both a decent proposal.

I cannot wait for Bristol, and only wish I could go to a Car of Tomorrow race this year...

Plus new Die Casts!

call_me_andrew
9th March 2007, 04:57
If you want to see manufacturers competing for a faster car, look at the mess that is formula 1.

Formula 1 doesn’t handicap the teams. That’s not a fair comparison.

dont_be_jack
9th March 2007, 13:33
Formula 1 doesn’t handicap the teams. That’s not a fair comparison.

They don't handicap them, but she is right. The manufacturers in F1 are the real competitors. The drivers are merely a caretaker of the car.

cgs
9th March 2007, 13:38
hence why F1 cars aren't good racing cars

Lee Roy
9th March 2007, 14:13
That's some people's opinion. I, for one, love F1.

I remember my first trip to a F1 race . . . Montreal in 1996. Had to see my fav driver, Jacques Villeneuve, at his first home race. I was there alone and made the acquaintance of 4 NASCAR fans from North Carolina there on a trip to see their first F1 race too. We were sitting in the stands together on Friday morning for the first practice. The first car came out, and when it went by us at full song and disappeared into the distance, we just sort of looked at each other with our mouths open in astonishment.

Yep, some F1 races can be boring, but so can some NASCAR races. But just like some NASCAR races can keep you on the edge of your seat, so can some F1 races.

Mark in Oshawa
10th March 2007, 14:30
F1 is the ultimate form of racing when it comes to technology. To compare it to NASCAR means you have to accept that this is what happens when you turn the engineers loose with very few limits vs NASCAR where you design parameters that are very strict and tight and take way 80% of the technology. In many ways, NASCAR is more of a challenge for engineers but as a spectacle, they are different games. F1 cars are truly incredible, and I would have paid money to see Lee Roy and his NASCAR buddies at Montreal that day. Most NASCAR fans have NO idea of just how incredible the speeds are of a f1 or even a Champ Car/Indy Car.

That said, NASCAR is more fun to watch on many circuits, and the drivers have more control. The COT will actually give the drivers more control, because NASCAR has taken the rules with the COT program and taken way more parameters. Now the cars will be made to a much more restrictive envelope and template, and if it makes racing better, then it will be worth it.

I personally didn't see that much wrong with NASCAR the way it is, but I know NASCAR often makes changes long before people see the need for change. Occasionally they get it right.....