PDA

View Full Version : Camerawork

AndySpeed
22nd August 2010, 14:19
I don't wish to sound like I'm moaning about everything, but...

Does anyone else feel that the camerawork on the BTCC is appalling? Keep the camera still please. And smooth. None of this fidget, zoom in, zoom out, short attention span, fidget left, fidget right a bit, during the features.

It is amateurish. Also, it is incredibly annoying to the point where I rarely watch anything in between the races.

AndySpeed
22nd August 2010, 14:22
Something's that's bad, and now something that's good:

Simon Hill, very professional and a top bloke! :up:

Eurotech
22nd August 2010, 16:48
I think it should be Steve Ryder and Simon Hill presenting the show in an ideal world...

Sarah
22nd August 2010, 18:02
I agree Simon is very good.

Still think that 3rd race is too late any safety car incident means a quick rush to get off air at 6.

Eurotech
22nd August 2010, 18:05
Still think that 3rd race is too late any safety car incident means a quick rush to get off air at 6.
Yeah its a shame we didn't get to hear from Paul O'Neill at the end of that. Maybe the last race sould be moved forwards or the TV coverage given another 20-30 minutes.

Dave B
22nd August 2010, 18:12
The coverage today was awful. Great commentary as usual but sub Top of the Pops camerawork and a mad dash for the exit the moment TOC had finished speaking to Lou. Not good enough.

Mp3 Astra
22nd August 2010, 20:53
To be honest, I just appreciate that we get 7 hours of coverage (alright, a lot of it being adverts) dedicated to a series that doesn't seem to warrant it.

My complaint is the actual trackside camera work. It just seems that all cameramen go into a state of zoom frenzy when someone spins/crashes and completely fail to take in what's going on around their focal point. I've been behind a big camera like that, and it is difficult; but they have years of experience, surely we should expect something a little better. But, then again, it's always been the case since as long as I can remember.

mattie007
23rd August 2010, 21:04
I absolutely hate the camerawork during the gridwalk. Ive seen the bloke who does it when ive been close to the track at Brands and it looks pathetic!
Sort it out ITV!

MrJan
24th August 2010, 14:14
I agree Simon is very good.

Yup, it was crazy how they had to quickly spout something about the next event and then get off air so that a handful of people aren't annoyed at missing a repeat of The Professionals. IMO, judging by the WRC coverage, DAVE would do a much better job.

UltimateDanGTR
24th August 2010, 16:45
Yup, it was crazy how they had to quickly spout something about the next event and then get off air so that a handful of people aren't annoyed at missing a repeat of The Professionals. IMO, judging by the WRC coverage, DAVE would do a much better job.

but would DAVE show all three races live? probably not.

although, since DAVE is a channel designed for repeats of things, they may show classic touring car races from years gone by if such an oppurtunity arose..... :eek:

Mark
24th August 2010, 17:48
A highlights show would be better.

MrJan
24th August 2010, 18:06
but would DAVE show all three races live? probably not.

Why not? I never thought that ITV would show all the races live, and DAVE seem to be fairly reasonable with their motorsport stuff.

Eurotech
25th August 2010, 10:42
DAVE would probably do what ITV1 used to do which is 1.5-2 hours of coverage on Sunday with highlights of the first two races and then the 3rd one live. Thats all the championship needs IMO, then the "Motorsport UK" shows with the support races could be shown on Tuesday Daytime....

Mark
25th August 2010, 13:20
DAVE would probably do what ITV1 used to do which is 1.5-2 hours of coverage on Sunday with highlights of the first two races and then the 3rd one live. Thats all the championship needs IMO, then the "Motorsport UK" shows with the support races could be shown on Tuesday Daytime....

Even then I think that's too much.. I want to follow BTCC but like most people I have other things in my life and other things to do on a Sunday afternoon. I can't sit all afternoon in the house to watch the live coverage. With a 1 hour highlights package at something like 5pm or 6pm I can sit down and watch it (or Sky+ it, and have it on series link). With the full live coverage I generally don't watch it at all.

wedge
26th August 2010, 00:30
I generally watch the races online mid week and watch the odd support race live. I really can't be bothered with the stupid features these days and wish it was like Motors TV and just give us the races.

Dave B
26th August 2010, 09:48
I tend to Sky+ the whole thing and start watching from early afternoon, skipping the ads and the waffle. By the time of the last race I'm usually caught up and watching live.

mattie007
28th August 2010, 20:14
Yeh, thats what I do with my V+ box if I have to go out.

On a different note, does anyone else think Louise Goodman is very poor? She stumbles her way through interviews and often forgets names, cars, etc.
It seems the old F1 guys just aren't up to the job!

Eurotech
28th August 2010, 20:21
Yeah Steve Ryder and Simon Hill both do a very good job, I didn't think Ted Kravitz was too bad but he didn't seem to have much knowledge of the sport and isn't very good with scripted bits

Les
6th September 2010, 12:38
I had to watch it all live and for the first time in ages and it drove me nuts.
All the want to do is show the top 3 or 4 yet pull back a bit and most of the field would have been in shot. As for in-car - save it for the replays and def do not show 3/4 of a lap of nothing.
The graphics only showed the top 12 - great! - what about the other cars?
It's a bit much that you had to have livetiming and the tv on

nik
6th September 2010, 14:50
According to Louise Goodman they were racing at Rockingham yesterday.

"Welcome back to....er Rockingham.."

And as for the camerawork....yes it is sloppy. In race 2 Pinkney clearly lost control and the camera man didn't even follow him collecting Collard.

MrJan
6th September 2010, 15:29
Didn't really show a replay of Chilton going sidways across the grass at the beginning of race 3 (??) either.

tintin
7th September 2010, 09:14
A highlights show would be better.

There is a highlights show as well, so you get the best of both worlds. And it usually includes a few interviews that aren't in the live show.

Allyc85
7th September 2010, 15:50
I thought the side on camera angle at the the chicane was a bit poor on sunday as the cars were through in a flash once past the second apex.

But saying that apart from a few missed incidents which can happen I dont think ive noticed the camera work to be that bad. Infact if you want bad coverage watch the AAA Saloons on Motors TV, that is by far the worst I have ever seen!

Eurotech
11th September 2010, 20:23
I liked the camera at the chicane cos it really showed the speed of the cars through there which you don't get with the head on camera.

Allyc85
19th September 2010, 18:39
What the hell was going on today with the camera onto the back straight being blocked by the flags being waved? What kind of idiot decides to put it there?

VkmSpouge
19th September 2010, 18:56
Clearly they had not realised the marshalls would be there, pretty stupid really.