PDA

View Full Version : Where's the personalities?

Kandinsky
21st August 2010, 22:35
I love WRC. It is the only sport where the top drivers are so accessible to us mere mortals. Where else would I be overtaken by a Yellow Pirelli Mitsubishi Evo covered in Sweet Lamb mud but in mid Wales on the road to Cardiff. But one thing really worries me... after Petter Solburg, where are the personalities.

Matt Wilson is a nice guy, but if he is the only hope of kick starting British Rallying then it is doomed. Surely his Dad's instruction to get the car back in one piece at all costs, does not apply still. I think I will start putting money on Matt coming 7th regardless of the opposition.

As much as I admire Loeb, he's really not Mr Carisma. Ogier and Sordo don't exactly have it and will the two Ford Finns ever be Champions of the People?

Time WRC learnt a bit from MotoGP. Mind you when Rossi hangs up his leathers in 2 years time after the Ducati anti-climax, goodness knows what MotoGP will do?

It's sad, but Motorsport needs celebrities to attract the masses.

Daniel
21st August 2010, 22:51
Who is Petter solburg?

pettersolberg29
21st August 2010, 22:56
There are quite a few personalities further down the field, but unfortunately it is rare to find someone 'fun' as well as quick. Block is a good example - a great guy and personality who shows off for the fans, but he's not very quick. Loeb is far more serious but is quick. Petter is the only guy who has both speed and likeability.

People like Al-Attiyah, Wittman, Araujo, van Merksteijn and van Eldik all provide good fun too spectators but don't threaten the top of the leaderboard.

blissard
22nd August 2010, 00:12
You have the "other side" of personalities too, like Kimi, who seems angry all the time, along with maybe Duval and Pons? (from what I heard on rally radio)

Was nice to hear from Atkinson today, funny guy :)

Tomi
22nd August 2010, 09:20

And a very good driver, it sure would be good if he would get a seat for next year, if anyone so he would really deserve one.

ShiftingGears
22nd August 2010, 09:29
I love WRC. It is the only sport where the top drivers are so accessible to us mere mortals. Where else would I be overtaken by a Yellow Pirelli Mitsubishi Evo covered in Sweet Lamb mud but in mid Wales on the road to Cardiff. But one thing really worries me... after Petter Solburg, where are the personalities.

Matt Wilson is a nice guy, but if he is the only hope of kick starting British Rallying then it is doomed. Surely his Dad's instruction to get the car back in one piece at all costs, does not apply still. I think I will start putting money on Matt coming 7th regardless of the opposition.

As much as I admire Loeb, he's really not Mr Carisma. Ogier and Sordo don't exactly have it and will the two Ford Finns ever be Champions of the People?

Time WRC learnt a bit from MotoGP. Mind you when Rossi hangs up his leathers in 2 years time after the Ducati anti-climax, goodness knows what MotoGP will do?

It's sad, but Motorsport needs celebrities to attract the masses.

Schumacher is a household name and he has quite a cold persona in front of the cameras. Hardly what people would describe as charismatic.

The fact is that Loeb isn't a household name to the greater public and it's got nothing to do with his lack of results or charisma.

GigiGalliNo1
22nd August 2010, 09:34
Carisma!

Boudica
22nd August 2010, 11:33
You have the "other side" of personalities too, like Kimi, who seems angry all the time, along with maybe Duval and Pons? (from what I heard on rally radio)

It also depends on what you mean with "personality". In F1 Kimi was and is still seen as a character. Entering snowmobile races as James Hunt, passing out with inflatable dolphins, doing power boat racing dressed in a gorilla suit. Not many WDC do these kinds of things. But of course perhaps that character isn't what is implied here. In fact it doesn't seem like these types of personalities are so popular with WRC fans as it is with F1 fans, from what I've noticed. :confused:

Sulland
22nd August 2010, 13:09
If you look to other forms of motorsport, there are few real charismatic people. C McRae, Rossi in MotoGP, Irvine in F1 a few years back and maybe a few others.

Galli had his moments, but maybe went a bit over the top, who else have we had over the years in rally ?

N.O.T
22nd August 2010, 13:11
i agree all the wrc needs to get the attention of the general public is a bunch of clowns so people can see their clown lives in them...

TMorel
22nd August 2010, 14:09
One of the things I liked about Daves coverage was when they showed the crews away from the rallying and you saw they were just regular folks.

Of course, if the WRC was full of strong personalities, you'd have people complaining they should just shut up and drive.

Daniel
22nd August 2010, 14:13
One of the things I liked about Daves coverage was when they showed the crews away from the rallying and you saw they were just regular folks.

Of course, if the WRC was full of strong personalities, you'd have people complaining they should just shut up and drive.
The other coverage used to do that too, just not in such an annoying fashion.

AndyRAC
22nd August 2010, 14:27
The WRC could have all the personalities in the world - it's highly likely it wouldn't change anything.
Until there are more Manufacturers and more seats for talented drivers - meaning a 'proper' World Championship - it will continue to get the coverage it deserves. Maybe I'm being unfairly harsh.....

COD
22nd August 2010, 20:30
Somehow "modern" motorsport world, both in F1 and WRC seems to want "robots" as drivers, no personalities. The teams think sponsors are happier, when drivers only say nice things no matter what happens.... NOT TRUE

Petter sure has charisma, but how I miss people like Grönholm, Alen, Kankkunen, Sainz, Galli, Auriol etc. Current drivers just are not personalities as these drivers were

Woodeye
23rd August 2010, 07:05
Somehow "modern" motorsport world, both in F1 and WRC seems to want "robots" as drivers, no personalities. The teams think sponsors are happier, when drivers only say nice things no matter what happens.... NOT TRUE

The problem is that the "robots" usually are really young drivers when for example Sainz, KKK, Alen etc.. were a bit older. And why the teams want youngsters, because they want to do good, relatively cheap and long-term investments. Not to get good drivers necessarily, but good investments. And of course the teens need to behave well also, otherwise the sponsors might get mad.

Is this a good way for anyone? No. The image I will remember from old time rallies always is where Timo Salonen and he's co-driver are sitting in Peugeot 205 and there's a Marlboro between Timo's lips after a stage. :) There's no way in hell that would happen this day ever.

Viking
23rd August 2010, 08:50
The image I will remember from old time rallies always is where Timo Salonen and he's co-driver are sitting in Peugeot 205 and there's a Marlboro between Timo's lips after a stage. :) There's no way in hell that would happen this day ever.

Well Marlboro was a big sponsor back in those days, today it is drinking from a Red Bull bottle that counts :)

A.F.F.
23rd August 2010, 09:35
Whatever they do, please don't do it like Tony Gardemeister and Tomi Tuominen. Even the dead people realized he advertised a drink I refuse to mention in this context.

Woodeye
23rd August 2010, 13:00
Whatever they do, please don't do it like Tony Gardemeister and Tomi Tuominen. Even the dead people realized he advertised a drink I refuse to mention in this context.

Oh come on. Those "Gardemeister" -bikes in Sotka where the coolest thing ever.

A.F.F.
23rd August 2010, 21:40
Unfortunately I wasn't talking about the bikes he rode. But thanks to bringing them back to my mind :p :

I meant whatever energydrink he drank after every stage when he was interviewed. And whenever he forgot to take the bottle, Tuominen charged it in his hand.... It was too embarrasing..... :mark:

Mintexmemory
23rd August 2010, 22:39
Like this sort of thing you mean - to be fair they were joking with me as I took the picture and Patrick was drinking the can anyway. Personally I prefer the Mad Croc system, though the Red Bull ladies were very pleasant ;)
After a can and 2 'shots of freeby Mad Croc, 1 can of freeby Red Bull and the large coke I had in McDs at lunch the journey back to Dunkirk 'flew' by!!!

Tomi
25th August 2010, 05:34
Lol, funny reading, what do you guys expect, rallydrivers to be your "friend" or something? Wake up guys rally drivers is not different from who ever, they only drive cars better, else they are normal people.

COD
25th August 2010, 11:54
The problem is that the "robots" usually are really young drivers when for example Sainz, KKK, Alen etc.. were a bit older. And why the teams want youngsters, because they want to do good, relatively cheap and long-term investments. Not to get good drivers necessarily, but good investments. And of course the teens need to behave well also, otherwise the sponsors might get mad.

Good point, but younsters can be personalities as well if they are allowed to. Is it really in the sponsors interest to have dull "robots" saying same things in every interview rather than have personalities that sometimes say things they maybe shouldn't but are loved by the people watching the sport?

And what brings new fans more than a sportsman with caracter? No more politically correct athelets!

shurik
25th August 2010, 17:00
Lol, funny reading, what do you guys expect, rallydrivers to be your "friend" or something? Wake up guys rally drivers is not different from who ever, they only drive cars better, else they are normal people.
It's like Senna vs Schumacher, despite the titles, Ayrton will always be higher than Michael just because of the way he was.
And I really wish we would have someone as epic as Colin in a near future standing against Loeb. This is a little spice that makes good stuff awesome, and current WRC doesn't have it.

N.O.T
25th August 2010, 18:11
And I really wish we would have someone as epic as Colin in a near future standing against Loeb.

i think its a bit late for that... Loebs career has maximum 3 seasons i think.