PDA

View Full Version : Super Aguri-Honda: Everyone's second-favorite team

blakebeatty
8th March 2007, 15:36
In the team by team preview, on this site, they commented "Super Aguri-Honda: Everyone's second-favorite team"

Do people actually feel this way? or is it sarcasm?

I wouldn't care if SA ceased operation. They are completely irrelevant as a team to me in Formula 1.

ioan
8th March 2007, 15:55
I wouldn't care if SA ceased operation. They are completely irrelevant as a team to me in Formula 1.

Let's say we are not like you.
BTW, who are completely relevant to you in F1?

EuroTroll
8th March 2007, 15:56
In the team by team preview, on this site, they commented "Super Aguri-Honda: Everyone's second-favorite team"

I rather like that phrase! :)

There's, indeed, something about Super Aguri that makes most people wish them well, I think.

luvracin
8th March 2007, 15:58
Everybody loves an underdog.

EuroTroll
8th March 2007, 15:59

A bit too absolute, perhaps. :) I'd say most people do.

RWD
8th March 2007, 16:50
I think it is because the team rose from nothing to entering F1 within 3-4 months, and although they came last as expected, they didnt make a fool of themselves. They have a passion for F1 that some other teams seem to lack.

Dave B
8th March 2007, 17:16
I can't get passionate about them, though, in the same way I did about true "privateers" like Jordan or Minardi.

Let's face it: they're Honda's full-time test team. A division of a major international corporation, seperate for accounting purposes and to avoid contravening the F1 rules, but not the "underdogs" they'd like to paint themselves as.

Simmi
8th March 2007, 17:17
If you look at the story of the team coming to be and how late everything was left then you have to hand it to them. Also the story of taking the Arrows chassis from an airport and things seem so far away from the multi-million norm of F1 thats its great they didnt disgrace themselves.

ChrisS
8th March 2007, 17:18
They have a passion for F1 that some other teams seem to lack.

Though Aguri Suzuki is a former racer and I believe he has a passion for racing the team was not created out of passion but rather out of the need for Honda to satisfy it's domestic market by keeping Sato in F1

IMHO the only team that is involved in F1 out of passion of the sport is Williams, all the other teams are there because they have something to sell

F1boat
8th March 2007, 17:30

Honestly I don't like them. Moving chicanes.

Gannex
8th March 2007, 19:11
IMHO the only team that is involved in F1 out of passion of the sport is Williams, all the other teams are there because they have something to sell

I agree about Williams, completely, but I would add Ferrari and McLaren to the list. Very much racing teams, both of them.

BeansBeansBeans
8th March 2007, 19:23
They certainly aren't my 2nd favourite team. That's all I can say.

kalasend
8th March 2007, 19:33

And that makes the other teams anything less? Like less deserved to win?

Isn't the intention of running the team purely the thoughts of team owners? Aren't the drivers, engineers and staff all there for the love of the sport?

Scuderia ferrari
8th March 2007, 19:46
I'd be happy if somebody like audi took there place, really, i don't like super aguri that much

blakebeatty
8th March 2007, 19:53
I remember reading that Toyota was widely the least popular team, I think personally, likely STR would be mine. anyone else?

PSfan
8th March 2007, 20:00
I heven't been able to figure out who is my favorite team yet, let alone who is my second favorite...

jso1985
8th March 2007, 20:17
well not mine second favoirite team at all!(is BMW BTW), a "B" team can't be underdogs, plus I think them and Toro Rosso are cheating this season, so basically the only true underdogs are Spyker, and I wish they kick their "costumer chassis" butts this year.

SuperAguri
8th March 2007, 20:46
Name says it all :P

I was a Minardi fan before Red Bull carved up the organisation.

I'm all for the underdogs. You'll probably see me rooting for Spyker and/or the other Japanese teams this year too.

johnny shell
8th March 2007, 21:03
Williams and Spyker are the true underdog teams...

well I guess the red bull teams are, too. but they seem to have so much money its hard to think of them that way.

jens
8th March 2007, 23:01
Super Aguri is not a "real privateer" unlike former Minardi or Jordan as they have a strong factory support (from Honda). And I suspect they won't be an underdog this year and maybe they are even able to score a couple of lucky points from somewhere. Actually Super Aguri is one of the biggest questionmarks before the start of the season as no-one exactly knows how good they might be.

I have a so-called passive support for them, but I certainly wouldn't call them "second favourite".

raikk
8th March 2007, 23:14

ya.......Minardi..

Ian McC
9th March 2007, 00:00
Hmm, nope sorry, can't manage much interest in them.

blakebeatty
9th March 2007, 00:58
now prodrive on the other hand... (sarcasm)

so seriously, what team would you care the least if they pulled out of formula 1

tinchote
9th March 2007, 01:33
so seriously, what team would you care the least if they pulled out of formula 1

I would only miss Williams, McLaren, and Ferrari. The remaining teams are too new to "belong" to F1; until the prove the opposite, they are mercenary teams, just businesses.

LeonBrooke
9th March 2007, 05:33
I'd like Super Aguri more if they didn't have Anthony Davison and Taku Sato - it makes them seem too much like a Honda B-team especially with the RA106. If they still had their own car I'd like them more.

truefan72
9th March 2007, 05:55
By some of the comments here, I suspect some of you would be quite happy seeing 6 cars race around the circuit and all other "meaningless teams" fade away. At one time Williams was completely dominant, now struggling, at one time Ferrari were mostly irrelevant in terms of performance, McClaren went through a rough patch, too.

The point is, hopefully these teams will be around for dozens of years ( as long as the sport lasts) and maybe in 5-10 years, Toyota will be hoisting championships, RBR will be winning plenty of Races, Spyker maybe regarded as the 21st century Ferrari ( then bought out like a Fiat type :) ) and so forth..

I like to watch the races and my personal favorites do not equate to me wishing any team ill or that they would leave the series. Same goes for drivers. Liking or disliking a driver should not mean that one should wish they leave the series. It should never be our call to make. No matter the motives, anytime one decides to invest millions of dollars in order to provide us with entertainment and a shot of glory should be commended.

That goes for all those that tried and failed before them. I thank them for their efforts and making it a worthwhile theatre for me to enjoy.