PDA

View Full Version : RCMP bust a heavily guarded grow op.

Easy Drifter
20th August 2010, 02:22
The RCMP raided and busted a large outdoor grow op in British Columbia guarded by 15 blacks, several of whom were quite large.
As it turned out the guards left the Mounties alone although one did climb on the roof of a cruiser for a better look.
On Mountie said he thought the guards were quite mellow.
The Mounties are having the dog food, being fed to the guards, checked to see if it was laced with marijuana. :cool:
Wildlife Officials are monitoring the guards who were left on site, 15 black bears, to see if they will be able to survive without being fed. If they cannot revert to the wild they are afraid they will have to be put down. :(

markabilly
21st August 2010, 11:43
" grow op "---what is that?

someone using blacks (guys?) or black bears as guards?

Been smoking your own crop?????????

....had those kind of dreams myself ever now and then.....many 40 or 50 years ago

Easy Drifter
22nd August 2010, 05:45
For those that are confused 'grow op' is used in Canada as a term for a marijuana operation. In this case it was a 1000+ plant outdoor set up.
The actual human couple there were arrested but there were 15 black bears around the site that were semi tame. All sizes from large adult males to cubs and females. The Mounties suspect the dog food that was keeping them well fed was laced with marijuana. The average person stumbling on or trying to raid the site would have been scared off by the bears most likely.

Drew
22nd August 2010, 15:21
Canada is a massive country, so I'm surprised more drug lords don't have massive "grow ops" in the country, far far away from anywhere. Surely they would never be found? Or perhaps they already do :p :

Easy Drifter
22nd August 2010, 16:07
They find quite a few but I am sure miss many. The OPP in Ontario use a helicopter with infra red heat seeking to find them. Marijuana has a distinctive image that makes it stand out. At one time planting in the middle of a corn field was a good hiding place.
The fellow who got mauled by a bear near here was almost certainly planting. We knew him.
When we had the Garden Centre we sold several types of soil. "Black Earth" was the favourite for the ones planting marijuana. All of the locals, including the one who got mauled, were small ops mostly for their own use.

edv
23rd August 2010, 15:22
The OPP in Ontario use a helicopter with infra red heat seeking to find them.

Oh yeah..we used to call that the Copper Chopper with the Dope Scope. LOL

Mark in Oshawa
24th August 2010, 07:04
Canada's greatest unofficial export is Marijuana, and most of it grown out in BC has some of the highest THC known to man.....

IN short, if you can make a black bear dopey with this stuff, imagine the high you get using it...lol

Drew
24th August 2010, 22:38
They find quite a few but I am sure miss many. The OPP in Ontario use a helicopter with infra red heat seeking to find them. Marijuana has a distinctive image that makes it stand out. At one time planting in the middle of a corn field was a good hiding place.
The fellow who got mauled by a bear near here was almost certainly planting. We knew him.
When we had the Garden Centre we sold several types of soil. "Black Earth" was the favourite for the ones planting marijuana. All of the locals, including the one who got mauled, were small ops mostly for their own use.

I see! Most of the cannabis factories in the UK are in houses. I'm not sure how they find them. I know if it snows in winter, then due to poor insulation and the amount of heat needed, it can hint at a cannabis factory. Sometimes these places are rented and the landlord finds out, otherwise I have no idea how they know. Actually when I lived in Spain my flatmate used to grow it in his wardrobe, but the landlord didn't seem too bothered.

I've always thought in big countries like Canada, USA, Russia etc there must be loads and loads of illegal things going on far out in the country. I guess in Russia it'd be a bit easier, you could easily bribe a whole town if you're some mafia boss.

Mark in Oshawa
24th August 2010, 22:59
I see! Most of the cannabis factories in the UK are in houses. I'm not sure how they find them. I know if it snows in winter, then due to poor insulation and the amount of heat needed, it can hint at a cannabis factory. Sometimes these places are rented and the landlord finds out, otherwise I have no idea how they know. Actually when I lived in Spain my flatmate used to grow it in his wardrobe, but the landlord didn't seem too bothered.

I've always thought in big countries like Canada, USA, Russia etc there must be loads and loads of illegal things going on far out in the country. I guess in Russia it'd be a bit easier, you could easily bribe a whole town if you're some mafia boss.

Most of our Pot grow houses are indoor..but what always gives them away to authorities in the end is the sudden increase in draw of electricity that isn't explained by bills. Growops tend to use some sneaky methods to steal power from the grid and since Growops use lots of ultraviolet lights, heaters and fans to ventilate the off gassing of this super heated pot operation, power is the big give away. That, and the neighbours seeing no curtains ever being drawn, and cars coming and going all the time....

This op with the bears guarding is old school with a twist...but most large pot fields in the boonies are usually found pretty quick. We may have a massive nation, but where you can grow pot in the outdoors is a limited season and usually in the south, where there is always someone poking around...

Drew
25th August 2010, 01:16
This op with the bears guarding is old school with a twist...but most large pot fields in the boonies are usually found pretty quick. We may have a massive nation, but where you can grow pot in the outdoors is a limited season and usually in the south, where there is always someone poking around...

Sure and maybe i'm thinking about it too much but it could still be indoors.They could build this stuff underground, put it in a barn so it looks like a part of a farm or in the middle of a forest.

Easy Drifter
25th August 2010, 05:56
The Govt. tried underground for the legal medicinal marijuana in Flin Flon. It was apparently terrible and almost useless. Now wether that was because it was underground or because it was a govt. operation who knows.
The trouble with hiding any indoor large scale operation is the amount of artificial light required and the huge electric requirements that usually is a tip off.
The cops have raided a couple of fish hobbyists by mistake because of their power usage! When we ran our operation out of our house, before we moved it all into industrial units, we know the meter readers looked in the basement windows. Saw their footprints in the snow. We had about 2000 gallons and over a 100 tanks. We also had the cops check out our industrial units openly. At 10,000 gallons of water and over 300 tanks we used a lot of power (and water).
The biggest indoor op I know of was the one hidden in the old Molson Breweries place in Barrie.
Gerald, the guy mauled by the bear locally, while setting up his little grow op had said there was one in the old brewery long before it was officially discovered as he could smell it!

Mark in Oshawa
25th August 2010, 07:56
The growup in the shut down brewery just went to show Drifter how big a criminal enterprise growing pot has become in Canada. When you can take a 200000 square foot factory and turn it into a grow up and run it for damn near 3 to 4 months, it is pretty much a mega business and the cops seem to always be one step behind.

The thing is, if we legalized pot, people would still do this illicitly, because America will never legalize the stuff, and smuggling would still continue. Just like prohibtion, it would cause us more headaches with our biggest trading partner than what we would gain...

MrJan
25th August 2010, 07:58
Sure and maybe i'm thinking about it too much but it could still be indoors.They could build this stuff underground, put it in a barn so it looks like a part of a farm or in the middle of a forest.

Isn't that just the plot from Pineapple Express? ;)