PDA

View Full Version : Honda sign Mike Conway to their Junior Driver Program

Giuseppe F1
8th March 2007, 14:59
Wouldnt be surpised if Brundle/Blundell's prior meetings with Honda re: Paffett for the 3rd driver role (which Klien eventually took) opened up these negotiations for Conway as their company, 2MB, manage both drivers - Good Move IMO:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns18855.html

MARCH 8, 2007
Honda signs Conway
Honda Racing F1 Team has signed an agreement with British F3 champion Mike Conway. The 22-year-old will do a number of tests for the team in the course of the next year. Conway will be racing this year in GP2 with the Super Nova but hopes that the link to Honda will open the way for him to gain experience for the future.

"This is a fantastic opportunity to me and I would like to thank the Honda Racing F1 Team for putting their faith in me," said Conway. "I am really excited about becoming a part of the team and taking full advantage of the assistance that Honda can give me with my racing career."

Haddock
8th March 2007, 17:59
As if F1 was crying out for more drivers as dreary in a press conference as Raikkonen...

Still, Conway looks pretty quick, and that's what really counts. Amazing how quickly drivers are written off though. Doesn't seem long ago that Carroll and Premat were talked of as potential F1 material.

Robinho
9th March 2007, 12:24
good chance for him to show if he is quick enough for F1, i think he might be, he won Brit F3 convincingly, and the Macau F3 GP, and destroyed the field in Formula Renault in his championship year, although the last person i was that impressed with in that series was Antonio Pizzonia, and he turned out to not quite have the minerals.

i hope he does well and this leads to something more, but i am more looking for impressive performances in GP2 this year as an indication of his future worth

raphael123
9th March 2007, 15:02
Is this good? The other drivers in their Junior Driver Program haven't exactly faired well have they?

I can't say I know anything about him, but if he's as good as their previous Junior Drivers that doesn't say much.

Mikeall
9th March 2007, 18:36
Mike Conway deserves to get some manufacturer/F1 team support as he has been the standout driver in British national championships over the last few years.

Garry Walker
9th March 2007, 18:45
Conway seems like a good driver, he bettered Bruno senna last year easily