PDA

View Full Version : De la Rosa driving "better than ever"

N4D13
19th August 2010, 11:20
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85999

I agree with this - I believe he's been doing a good job until now, but what's your opinion on this?

Saint Devote
19th August 2010, 12:00
Under difficult circumstances he has done well, but really, neither Sauber driver can be on any reasonable teams shopping list.

Dr. Krogshöj
19th August 2010, 14:29
I agree with PDLR, but unfortunately for him, there are a couple of talented youngsters out there who can bring money to Sauber, a team desperately needing more sponsorship. (Any sponsorship, really.) Maldonado and Perez, who are leading the GP2 standings, can bring reasonable backing from PDVSA and Telmex, respectively.

Sonic
19th August 2010, 15:04
Pedro has certainly shown that old boys can make a come-back and do alright for themselves, but that said at his age he will never find himself in a top car. I see his situation being very similar to Panis on his race return after testing duties. Able, but largely invisible.

I am evil Homer
19th August 2010, 15:25
Well he was starting from a low point so the only way is up. He was pretty useless in the McLaren and had his chance with numerous teams.

If he bought loads of money to Sauber I could why he's there but I think he's taking the seat that a younger driver could do an equally good job in.

Dr. Krogshöj
19th August 2010, 15:31
I think he's taking the seat that a younger driver could do an equally good job in.

That is not a problem per se, age shouldn't be a factor, only performance. But if it is, PDLR's experience comes in handy when it comes to testing.

Z926A12
19th August 2010, 16:36
he's doing a decent job; but i can't help but think that 'better than ever' isn't much of a claim by his standards.

woody2goody
19th August 2010, 18:12
He's largely been doing better than Kobayashi, had some horrible luck (remember he lost points in Valencia with penalties, and also has had numerous mechanical failures), and yeah I think he is doing better than he ever has. Yes he sometimes is beaten by his team-mate in quali, but in the races he has usually been faster than Kamui, barring a couple of occasions.

Puts Schumacher's performances in perspective when de la Rosa's effectively had half a season of racing since 2002. Especially when you consider that Kobayashi has driven these cars more than Pedro has.

I hope he is retained for next year, because he'd be an asset to any team.

woody2goody
19th August 2010, 18:16
Well he was starting from a low point so the only way is up. He was pretty useless in the McLaren and had his chance with numerous teams.

If he bought loads of money to Sauber I could why he's there but I think he's taking the seat that a younger driver could do an equally good job in.

I disagree that he was useless at McLaren.

Up against Raikkonen in 2006 he was only defeated by 26 points to 19, which compares favourably to Coulthard and Montoya.

jens
1st September 2010, 18:16
Interesting claim by Pedro. :p : I don't think he is better than ever, but unlike Schumacher he hasn't seemed to have a discernible deterioration in performance compared to his "old days". Even though Sauber quite rightfully is probably looking for a new and younger driver to replace de la Rosa for 2011, I'd say the Spaniard's comeback has been a relative success regarding his reputation. Before the season he was rated as a completely useless badoeresque driver by some, but even though he never was a top driver, he has put in respectable season and has even somewhat improved his reputation. To me de la Rosa has been more impressive than for instance Wurz in 2007 after his comeback.

ioan
1st September 2010, 19:58
He's largely been doing better than Kobayashi...

You must have been watching other F1 races this year.

Robinho
1st September 2010, 21:05
he's doing much better than i expected, seems to be getting a decent amount of the car, although i think Koby is showing some decent performances now the car is improved

ioan
1st September 2010, 21:28
Kobayashi has several time been racing up in the top ten, even top 6 this season. Pedro is doing OK but not as good as his team mate.

Sonic
1st September 2010, 22:01
Kobayashi has several time been racing up in the top ten, even top 6 this season. Pedro is doing OK but not as good as his team mate.

Kobay is a great racer - perhaps not the best qualifier week in week out but he always seems to climb through the pack come Sunday from wherever he starts.

BDunnell
1st September 2010, 22:08
I think Sauber have put together a good team there. The drivers are well-balanced and doing the best job that could be reasonably expected of them.

Roamy
2nd September 2010, 03:37
A freaking STONE

truefan72
2nd September 2010, 04:11
I think Sauber have put together a good team there. The drivers are well-balanced and doing the best job that could be reasonably expected of them.

yep

Roamy
2nd September 2010, 04:44
Pass the bong please

ShiftingGears
2nd September 2010, 14:14

Agreed.

woody2goody
2nd September 2010, 22:54
Kobay is a great racer - perhaps not the best qualifier week in week out but he always seems to climb through the pack come Sunday from wherever he starts.

So does Pedro.

woody2goody
2nd September 2010, 22:56
You must have been watching other F1 races this year.

Kobayashi's had about 3 good races, and Valencia, as great a performance as it was, seems to somehow make him great again, when for most of the season Pedro's been handing his arse to him.

Both are good, but I still maintain that at this current moment Pedro is better. Of course Kamui has a lot of potential though I don't doubt that.

ioan
2nd September 2010, 22:59
Kobayashi's had about 3 good races, and Valencia, as great a performance as it was, seems to somehow make him great again, when for most of the season Pedro's been handing his arse to him.

Both are good, but I still maintain that at this current moment Pedro is better. Of course Kamui has a lot of potential though I don't doubt that.

A quick glimpse to the results tells you who did well and who did less than that.
Kobayashi is a racer, de la Rosa is a test driver, this is why he had slightly better qualifying sessions, and the results show just that.

steveaki13
2nd September 2010, 23:07
Fact is Kobayashi has scored far more points than Pedro.

At the end of the season points are the true decider.

fandango
2nd September 2010, 23:53
Pedro is the Spanish version of Martin Brundle: We want him to do so much better because he's capable, and so very, very likeable, but in the end his future is probably in commentary, which he's very good at, and other racing series.

ArrowsFA1
3rd September 2010, 10:06
Better than ever? Maybe, although it's difficult for us to judge given that Pedro hasn't been a full time F1 racer for many years.

I've always seen Pedro as a solid, but not exceptional, driver. A good fit for Sauber.

Retro Formula 1
3rd September 2010, 10:28
Agree 100% with the last 2 posts.

PdlR is good for Sauber at the moment but is never going to set the world alight. He will do what's needed at Sauber though and thats worth more to them at this time than an out and out racer in that seat.