PDA

View Full Version : Paul Tracy working on 4 races

Hoop-98
17th August 2010, 18:09
Good news maybe for the PT crowd...

paultracy3 (http://twitter.com/paultracy3) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
working on trying to run the last 4 races , getting closer about 4 hours ago (http://twitter.com/paultracy3/status/21403823877) via web

rh

TURN3
17th August 2010, 19:31
And ovals too...good to see The Thrill running them for a change.

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2010, 21:24
On the ovals, with some seat time he could be a major threat to get in the top 5.

Scotty G.
17th August 2010, 21:57
This is probably bad news for Mike Conway coming back this year.

Because that ride would likely be the one that Tracy gets.

TURN3
18th August 2010, 00:08
This is probably bad news for Mike Conway coming back this year.

Because that ride would likely be the one that Tracy gets.

Maybe, but not necessarily. I happen to be acquainted to a particular crew member in another series that will be working with KV to finish out the season. He's been told that another car might be added. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Was in the same meeting where serious talks were going on about going back to Vegas too...and preferably not to the oval...but we'll see about that. As awesome as the downtown event was a few years ago, the locals didn't give it much praise. They felt they were too inconvenienced.

SUBARUTEAM
18th August 2010, 00:23
fingers crossed!!!
seams like really big fields this year!!

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2010, 00:30
Maybe, but not necessarily. I happen to be acquainted to a particular crew member in another series that will be working with KV to finish out the season. He's been told that another car might be added. This was about 2 weeks ago.

KV is the most logical choice really. Paul wants something close to a decent ride, he has the history with KV, and I think they are tired of the terrible trio they have tearing one car up after another. PT will get them some finishes where they can put the whole car back in the transporter some weekends.

Was in the same meeting where serious talks were going on about going back to Vegas too...and preferably not to the oval...but we'll see about that. As awesome as the downtown event was a few years ago, the locals didn't give it much praise. They felt they were too inconvenienced.

I saw the parts of Vegas they ran the race through. For locals to complain is to laugh. Downtown Vegas is a shadow of the real business down on the strip and I think the venue downtown wouldn't be bad if they made a few changes.

That said, keeping the oval/street-road course mix roughly 50-50 means likely the oval is the option. Not to mention the fact Bruton Smith wants events for his facilities and he is actively working with Bernard on helping the IRL along. I don't think he would like IRL running a street race 10 miles away from one of his tracks when he wants the date himself...

TURN3
18th August 2010, 00:38
I saw the parts of Vegas they ran the race through. For locals to complain is to laugh. Downtown Vegas is a shadow of the real business down on the strip and I think the venue downtown wouldn't be bad if they made a few changes.

That said, keeping the oval/street-road course mix roughly 50-50 means likely the oval is the option. Not to mention the fact Bruton Smith wants events for his facilities and he is actively working with Bernard on helping the IRL along. I don't think he would like IRL running a street race 10 miles away from one of his tracks when he wants the date himself...

My analysis and sentiment exactly...although my heart would rather see them running the streets. I went to that race and other than the fiasco with the pedestrian bridge and the train tracks, it was pretty awesome all things considered. Fremont street was packed for the concert (Chris Cornell among others) and I was told that New Years Eve was rivaled by the Friday night.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2010, 00:46
My analysis and sentiment exactly...although my heart would rather see them running the streets. I went to that race and other than the fiasco with the pedestrian bridge and the train tracks, it was pretty awesome all things considered. Fremont street was packed for the concert (Chris Cornell among others) and I was told that New Years Eve was rivaled by the Friday night.

Hey, I heard it wasn't the horror show some thought it was....but I think the people not wanting the race kind of doomed it. You need the locals behind the race in large numbers. It is why Toronto is faltering. The IRL kicked this market in the teeth when it didn't take Toronto as one of the first CCWS dates and when they did come back, it wasn't the locals promoting it, it was Andretti Green. To get local support, you need a local connection, you need locals involved and locals have to buy in or it wont fly.

Marbles
18th August 2010, 02:03
KV needs Tracy because they need a driver who is fast and can finish a race. Did I just say that about Paul Tracy... faith and begorrah!

As a Canadian, I'd love to see it. I like Tags but I admire him more as a survivor than a race driver.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2010, 07:29
KV needs Tracy because they need a driver who is fast and can finish a race. Did I just say that about Paul Tracy... faith and begorrah!

As a Canadian, I'd love to see it. I like Tags but I admire him more as a survivor than a race driver.

Truth is, PT doesn't wreck cars nearly as often as his rep would have people believe....and compared to the current KV stable, he is Mother Theresa when it comes to wrecking.

bblocker68
18th August 2010, 17:07
I'd love to see PT at KV and JR Hilderbrand stay on at DRR. Wilson complemented him on his Racer blog yesterday. Looks like they see eye-to-eye, can trade setup info and JR provides quality feedback.

Dr. Krogshöj
18th August 2010, 18:04
How bad your drivers are if you need Paul Tracy to safely finish races?

garyshell
18th August 2010, 18:10

So do you have any stats to backup your assertion that Paul tends to tear up the equipment? You might want to look before you leap.

Gary

Marbles
18th August 2010, 21:32
This is the only place I know that would have such stats:

http://www.champcarstats.com/drivers/TracyPaul.htm

Is there any other place?

I'll count PT's wrecks and the rest of you guys can break up into teams and take care of the rest.

Remember, Penske's comment about "running out of cars" because of Tracy. He's had his fair share of wrecks but more to the point, he's made some notoriously bad decisions behind the wheel.

Scotty G.
18th August 2010, 23:32

REAL bad. :p

But it doesn't matter how good or bad they are anyway. As long as the check cleared and they can continue to pay for the damage, then that is what matters most.

And KV will take the TEAM handouts after the season ends gladly for all 3 ride-buyer cars.

Marbles
19th August 2010, 00:11
This is the only place I know that would have such stats:

http://www.champcarstats.com/drivers/TracyPaul.htm

Is there any other place?

I'll count PT's wrecks and the rest of you guys can break up into teams and take care of the rest.

Remember, Penske's comment about "running out of cars" because of Tracy. He's had his fair share of wrecks but more to the point, he's made some notoriously bad decisions behind the wheel.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not slagging Tracy unjustly IMO. I'm just calling it as "I" see it. I don't think any other driver's contributed the electricity to AOW that this man has in the last twenty years. I remember a first corner incident at Cleveland a few years ago where I pretty much stood alone in his defence while everyone else here wanted to crucify him.

Montoya considered him his greatest rival although, ironically, Tracy never challenged him for a championship. Zanardi picked him as the driver he would want if he were to start a Champcar team. --makes for a killer resume--

I believe, the Penske reference is from around the '97 Vancouver period. He wrote a few off in practice\qualifying as well.

Damn, I just quoted myself... what an ego.

speeddurango
19th August 2010, 09:38
He's the man infusing the raw driving excitment into motorsport, that's what this sport needs, badly, when everyone is driving like sheeps.

DanicaFan
19th August 2010, 09:40
And ovals too...good to see The Thrill running them for a change.

Until he gets a full-time ride, he will be a backmarker.

DBell
19th August 2010, 13:39

Unless it's a Penske, a Ganassi or on occasion an Andretti car, on ovals, everyone else is a backmarker.

TURN3
19th August 2010, 13:46

KV has had some pretty fast cars on ovals the past 2 years. Unlike your princess, PT has never and will never be a backmarker anywhere. And lets be real here, your history of predictions is pretty dismal if not hopeless.

Dr. Krogshöj
19th August 2010, 14:51
So do you have any stats to backup your assertion that Paul tends to tear up the equipment? You might want to look before you leap.

Gary

No. But I had the chance to follow him for quite a few seasons in CART/CCWS. He had that reputation already when I started watching and from my superficial perspective, he lived up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing PT, I really like him, and I would be very happy if he had a full-time ride. I was just trying to ironically point out that such an agressive and entertaining driver would be a safe bet for a team, whose drivers I don't hold in a particularly high regard.

garyshell
19th August 2010, 18:17
KV has had some pretty fast cars on ovals the past 2 years. Unlike your princess, PT has never and will never be a backmarker anywhere. And lets be real here, your history of predictions is pretty dismal if not hopeless.

Far be it from me to defend DanicaFan, but on this I think he has a good point. As long as Paul is running a one race here, one race there knid of season with no consistency with the team and an engineer, he is not going to be a contender. Hell, I bet he would even say that. He wants and needs a full time ride.

Gary

garyshell
19th August 2010, 18:19
No. But I had the chance to follow him for quite a few seasons in CART/CCWS. He had that reputation already when I started watching and from my superficial perspective, he lived up to it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing PT, I really like him, and I would be very happy if he had a full-time ride. I was just trying to ironically point out that such an agressive and entertaining driver would be a safe bet for a team, whose drivers I don't hold in a particularly high regard.

Paul had a reputation as an agressive driver, but not one who tore up as much equipment as the guys at KVT right now. And I totally agree with your statements above.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
19th August 2010, 19:42

I dunno DF, when Danica wins more than one race and actually passes someone for the lead, rather than inheriting it, I will take your judgement on racing talent seriously.

Paul Tracy has a championship and a lot of wins under his belt. At 40, given the equipment Danica has, he still would win races.

I know this much, he wouldn't be blaming the engineers....

TURN3
20th August 2010, 01:54
Far be it from me to defend DanicaFan, but on this I think he has a good point. As long as Paul is running a one race here, one race there knid of season with no consistency with the team and an engineer, he is not going to be a contender. Hell, I bet he would even say that. He wants and needs a full time ride.

Gary

First off, you and I both know that Fan hasn't demonstrated he knows a single fact about racing in around 3 years of being here.

Secondly, I'm not suggesting he's taking KV (presumably) to the next level either. He, or anybody else, isn't jumping into a KV car and immediately competing with the 5 fast cars. Frankly, it has very little to do with the driver on the tracks in discussion here as we all know and recognize. It would seem from the past 2 seasons that KV is as competitive in class 2 as anybody...only that their drivers make constant mistakes (which is different than not being fast). There really isn't anything for PT to get up to speed with here. On these particular ovals, it is pretty much get in and drive...save for some minor adjustments. All that being said, you and I both know without any doubt, he isn't bringing up the rear either. He's mid-pack at worst in a KV car right out of the chute.

Wouldn't you agree with that?

And yes...with a full-time gig I do think he does take a KV type team to a level above with his feedback and experience alone.

garyshell
20th August 2010, 05:11
First off, you and I both know that Fan hasn't demonstrated he knows a single fact about racing in around 3 years of being here.

He does know some facts, just not about drivers. ...big ol' grin...

Secondly, I'm not suggesting he's taking KV (presumably) to the next level either. He, or anybody else, isn't jumping into a KV car and immediately competing with the 5 fast cars. Frankly, it has very little to do with the driver on the tracks in discussion here as we all know and recognize. It would seem from the past 2 seasons that KV is as competitive in class 2 as anybody...only that their drivers make constant mistakes (which is different than not being fast). There really isn't anything for PT to get up to speed with here. On these particular ovals, it is pretty much get in and drive...save for some minor adjustments. All that being said, you and I both know without any doubt, he isn't bringing up the rear either. He's mid-pack at worst in a KV car right out of the chute.

Wouldn't you agree with that?

And yes...with a full-time gig I do think he does take a KV type team to a level above with his feedback and experience alone.

Yes I would agree with that, and you're right DanicaFan did say backmarker. Midpacker is a better assessment until Paul gets a chance to shape things his way, i.e. a full time ride. The only thing I disagree with is this quote: "Frankly, it has very little to do with the driver on the tracks in discussion". I know where you are headed, that these tracks are all about setups. And that part I do agree with. However, I think without a good driver who knows how to communicate nuance to the engineer, there is no way to get a good setup. So the driver is still a big part of the equation. Just in a different way.

Gary

BT46B
20th August 2010, 07:58
He's the man infusing the raw driving excitment into motorsport, that's what this sport needs, badly, when everyone is driving like sheeps.

Bravo Speed and they are also acting like sheep. American sheep. Watch F1 when it come back in two weeks and watch their balls out racing we are still lacking that but from a few and Paul Tracy is one who never gave up - never.

Hoop-98
27th August 2010, 01:39
PT's tweet

Had a good day today , went in to contract on a deal for 2 races , good day

Hoop-98
27th August 2010, 02:20
Bravo Speed and they are also acting like sheep. American sheep. Watch F1 when it come back in two weeks and watch their balls out racing we are still lacking that but from a few and Paul Tracy is one who never gave up - never.

You must watch a completely different F1 than I do...Well there have been some brains out moves for sure...balls out does mean governed speed though

TURN3
30th August 2010, 23:33
No details on if it is DRR or KV. Twitter banter from Jimmy Vasser congratulated PT on being in Kentucky this weekend and PT also told TK he'd see him in Kentucky on Thursday ...so without an official announcement, I'd say it's official.

Just don't like DRR's oval package as compared to KV. GRRRR!

Scotty G.
30th August 2010, 23:54
Just don't like DRR's oval package as compared to KV. GRRRR!

Wilson finished 7th at Chicago.

Wilson and Conway were competitive at Indy.

At least at D&R, you don't have to worry about your 3 boneheaded, low-talent teammates taking you out.

TURN3
31st August 2010, 00:03

At least at D&R, you don't have to worry about your 3 boneheaded, low-talent teammates taking you out.

I know, Wilson finshed well but he really wasn't a factor at any point. You know what I mean, I'm sure.

He wouldn't have to worry about the clowns because his pit stall won't be with theirs. Everybody including the helicopter is fair game for those guys once on the track.

Dr. Krogshöj
31st August 2010, 08:55

Unfortunately, there is still a good chance they'll take you out as opponents!

alpinestar513
31st August 2010, 14:52
DREYER & REINBOLD RACING SIGNS PAUL TRACY TO PILOT THE NO. 24 MOTEGI RACING WHEELS ENTRY AT KENTUCKY AND JAPAN

Indianapolis, IN (August 31, 2010) - Dreyer & Reinbold Racing announced today that Canadian driver, Paul Tracy, will join the team in Kentucky and Japan. Tracy will replace the injured Mike Conway for the two events and will drive the team's No. 24 Motegi Racing Wheels/ Dreyer & Reinbold Racing / Dallara entry.

The Canadian was the sensible choice for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing as not only does he have experience on ovals, over his entire career, he has competed in 270 Indy car-type events. Tracy, the 2003 Champ Car World Series champion, will be making his tenth IZOD IndyCar start at Kentucky. However, it will be his first time to compete at Kentucky Speedway and his sixth time to compete at Twin Ring Motegi. He is one of the most successful drivers in the history of open-wheel racing with 31 career victories.
Wheel manufacturer, Motegi Racing Wheels will join the team and Tracy for the two events, as they will sponsor the No. 24 entry. "Motegi Racing Wheels is excited to be supporting one of the most exciting drivers, Paul Tracy for the Kentucky and Japan races. We"ve known the type of energy, honesty and excitement that PT brings to the series. Motegi Racing Wheels has had a great experience this year being associated with PT and certainly the Dreyer & Reinbold Team. It"s certainly been a great relationship and we appreciate the opportunity to work with Dennis & Robbie this year," stated Motegi Racing Wheels president, Jody Groce.

Tracy first ran with the team a couple of months ago at Watkins Glen and he will be making his return with DRR this weekend in Kentucky and Dreyer & Reinbold Racing couldn't be more excited to have him on board. "We are very happy to have Paul back with us for the next two events. He's a great driver and big personality and we are thrilled to have him driving for us in Kentucky and Japan. Paul did a great job for us in Watkins Glen and we can't wait to get him on an oval with us. We are also thrilled to have Motegi Racing Wheels with us for the two races as well. We have developed a great relationship with them and we know that Paul and Motegi Racing Wheels will be a great combination for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing for the next two events," commented Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Co-Owner, Robbie Buhl.
Tracy, now in his 20th season, has had a storied career that has made him one of the top drivers in open-wheel racing. He is among the top-10 in almost every Champ Car career statistical category including wins, 31 (tied for seventh all-time), poles, 25 (ninth all-time), and laps led, 4,238 (sixth all-time).

Over the last 20 years, Tracy has earned 75 career podium performances, 102 top-five finishes and 144 top-10 showings in 270 starts (262 in Champ Car and eight in IZOD IndyCar, tied for seventh all-time). In the 15 seasons in which Tracy has competed in over 80 percent of the races, he has finished in the top-10 in the championship standings 10 times including eight times in the top-five, four in the top-three and captured the championship in 2003.
"It's great to be back with the Dreyer & Reinbold Racing again this year. I'm excited to have the opportunity to run some ovals with the team. It's been a while since I"ve raced on an oval but I'm ready for the challenge with the next two races plus I have some experience in Japan. Many thanks to Robbie & Dennis again for welcoming me to their team. Motegi Racing Wheels also deserves a big thanks for sticking by me. I"m also looking forward to working with Justin (Wilson) again. I also want to thank my personal sponsors for their continued support; Motegi Racing Wheels, CEC Wheels, Oakley, Kicker Car Audio & MONSTER Energy," said Tracy.

Decisions have not been made on a driver for the last event of the 2010 IZOD IndyCar season. Stay tuned for more details and please visit www.dreyerreinboldracing.com (http://www.dreyerreinboldracing.com) for more information.

About Motegi Racing:
Motegi Racing wheels are purpose-built for professional-level competition in drifting and road racing as well as available for street applications. Motegi Racing wheels have the perfect blend of attitude, performance and style with the latest technology and finishes. For more information on Motegi Racing Wheels please visit www.motegiracing.com (http://www.motegiracing.com).

About Dreyer & Reinbold Racing:
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing is entering its 11th season of full-time competition in 2010, making it one of the longest-tenured teams in Indy Racing League competition. Current co-owners, Dennis Reinbold and Robbie Buhl, first teamed in full-time competition at the Walt Disney World Speedway in January of 2000. With Buhl behind the wheel, the two owners tasted victory in their debut race. The 2009 IZOD IndyCar Series season-opener on the streets of St.Petersburg marked Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's 200th series start. DRR now has over 250 starts to tuck under its belt and has qualified a total of 27 cars for the Indianapolis 500. In its history, the team has boasted a championship list of alumni drivers. Besides Buhl, the team has run Indianapolis 500 winners, Al Unser, Jr., Buddy Lazier, and Buddy Rice, along with IZOD IndyCar Series race winner Ryan Briscoe. The team has one of the longest lines of heritage in American open-wheel racing and the Indianapolis 500 as Dennis Reinbold's grandfather, "Pop" Dreyer, built leading roadsters that raced at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the 30s, 40s, and 50s.