PDA

View Full Version : fatel accidents in motorsport

SUBARUTEAM
16th August 2010, 21:55
It will be interesting to see how the situation plays out from the fatal accident in California over the weekend (sorry, can't post the link here).

I don't know the details of what happened, but there will be a sh*t storm - we can be sure of that.

it's applicable to this forum because there is a very real danger of an accident on an oval where a car ends up in the grand stands (it almost happened at Indy this year)

very sad accident for all concerned - and I for one would like to pass on my best wishes to all concerned.

Mark.

Otto-Matic
16th August 2010, 22:28
I was wondering the same thing. This story was all over NPR today; you look at the recent fence climbing accidents in the IRL the past few years+ accident like Carl Edwards in NASCAR (where spectators are injured by debris). I wonder if there will be a knee-jerk reaction by insurance companies or promoters, or both.

downtowndeco
17th August 2010, 02:38
The protective fencing that the IRL & NASCAR have is at least seriously trying to protect the spectators. This off road event had nothing, other than the vague suggestion to stand 100 feet back from the "tracK" however that was defined. Mix in all the alcohol you can drink & you've got a real problem on your hands.

I don't blame just the spectators. Think of it this way. Can you imagine NASCAR letting fans come from the infield & crowd the edge of Daytona? F1 allowing lawn chairs right next to the racing surface? IMS opening up the snake pit w/no security & no fencing other than an orange nylon rope? People just have no sense. The promoter has an obligation to protect people from themselves.

Alexamateo
17th August 2010, 03:23
It's really more of a concern for off-road and rally. This is not the first time something like this has happened, why is this one garnering so much attention I wonder?

beachgirl
17th August 2010, 04:08
It's really more of a concern for off-road and rally. This is not the first time something like this has happened, why is this one garnering so much attention I wonder?

8 dead? 12 more injured? If that happened at any track, it would garner a LOT of attention.

downtowndeco
17th August 2010, 04:50
Not so common here in the states. Plus I think it sort of seen as an oddball motorsport almost like a monster truck show. If this had happened at a NASCAR race, yeah, it would be much bigger than the press this has gotten.

Easy Drifter
17th August 2010, 05:02
That number of dead and injured is going to make all the papers and main newscasts.
It did happen on an open desert off road vehicle race with a lap distance of 80k or about 50 miles. Clearly there can be no real crowd control. The Police do not seem to be making a big fuss so it will drop off the radar quickly.
If it happened on a actual closed race track there would be major flaps.
Sooner or later there will be an accident of those proportions likely at a sprint car or midget race where it is not uncommon for a car to go out of the park. So far it has happened into parking lots or the boonies but inevitably one will go into the stands. Many short tracks do not really have enough spectator protection.

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2010, 06:52
Not so common here in the states. Plus I think it sort of seen as an oddball motorsport almost like a monster truck show. If this had happened at a NASCAR race, yeah, it would be much bigger than the press this has gotten.

I think people are making something of it because it isn't common in the US. We hear of stuff like this in rallying in Europe from time to time...but not over in North America, the land of hot and cold running lawyers looking for people to sue...

garyshell
17th August 2010, 19:02
I think people are making something of it because it isn't common in the US. We hear of stuff like this in rallying in Europe from time to time...but not over in North America, the land of hot and cold running lawyers looking for people to sue...

That and the sheer magnitude of the accident. 8 people being killed is pretty rare in Europe.

Gary

harvick#1
17th August 2010, 19:16
warning Motorsport and especially Rallying/Off-Roading is extremely Dangerous!!!!!!!

the Spectators know the dangers going into the events and what possibly happen.

didnt the truck roll after a jump, if so, the people should've known the possibility of a truck having a problem at some point or another.

as for a car going into the Stands at any event, is 99.9% unlikely on an oval. the entire cant get enough lift to go over the catch fence and many oval track now have the wrapping at the towards going towards the infield for a just in case the car gets that high to keep it from going over.

feel sorry for the people that passed, but they knew the dangers when going into the event, its not this is the first fatality from spectators in racing

garyshell
17th August 2010, 20:17
as for a car going into the Stands at any event, is 99.9% unlikely on an oval. the entire cant get enough lift to go over the catch fence and many oval track now have the wrapping at the towards going towards the infield for a just in case the car gets that high to keep it from going over.

I wish that were so. But in all honesty, I don't think the catch fences are 99.9% effective. Sure an intact car is not likely to go into the stands, but debris is... with just as devastating effect.

Gary

Easy Drifter
17th August 2010, 20:39
There have been at least 2 sprint cars out of tracks this year. One at Williams Grove. I think one at Smoke's Eldora. Both on back stretches with no spectators.
I do agree the large ovals are pretty good and many short tracks, where there are spectators, but not all.

Anubis
17th August 2010, 20:41
Having seen the footage, it reminds me of the old Group B days with crowds literally lining the road. It's a horrible accident, but what on Earth possessed people to stand right next to the track immediately downwind of a jump?!

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2010, 21:21
That and the sheer magnitude of the accident. 8 people being killed is pretty rare in Europe.

Gary

Look at the footage from the 80's of the rallys in Spain and Portugal.. You would see the people parting like the Red Sea in front of the cars.....I know there was some big crashes with a lot of fatalities back then...

SUBARUTEAM
17th August 2010, 22:20
this is a terrible accident, don't get me wrong.

but if this happened at indy or texas - it would appear to be 1000% worse because it would happen on live TV - and would lead the news on every network in the country.

public liability claims would kill the track and possibly the series.

mileman
17th August 2010, 22:51
Fans along the roadside at Pikes Peak look like they're in harms way too. All of the off road events always look like they are tempting fate.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/08/climb-pikes-peak-with-the-monster/

Marbles
18th August 2010, 00:06
Having seen the footage, it reminds me of the old Group B days with crowds literally lining the road. It's a horrible accident, but what on Earth possessed people to stand right next to the track immediately downwind of a jump?!

Thus the end of Group B... and the Mille Miglia much earlier.

Is this why we live in a Nanny State?

Reasonable measures safety wise (relatively speaking) are taken in the IRL and many other series. That is to say, fate is not tempted. --knock on wood-- But, the fickle of finger of fate is ever present at any motorsport event. I just hope this is ever present in the mind of attendees.

Having said that, it must be one hell of a buzz to have a rally car land a jump just feet away!

My condolences...

SUBARUTEAM
18th August 2010, 00:26
rallying is in our blood and i must say that we get up close to the action, there is nothing better. That said, we are not stupid about it.

sitting on the outside of fast corners is not only stupid, but normally means you get big rocks thrown at you. also we NEVER drink out on the stages.

but thats just me