PDA

View Full Version : WRC VS X Games

surfevo
15th August 2010, 07:29
So I was reading an interview with Tanner Foust here: http://autoeclectic.com/august article starts on page 10.

He talks about this year's X Games rally and how it was running 4 cars wheel to wheel. He also talks about rally cross and forest rally. So the question came to mind:

What is the most exciting form of rally to watch X Games, rally cross, or forest/stage style rallying?

I personally liked the X Games format, kind of a British Touring car meets Moto style action. Check out the article and post your thoughts.

N.O.T
15th August 2010, 08:08
Rallying has 1 form last time i checked.....

15th August 2010, 08:30
X Games is nothing compared to forest rallying, especially WRC, IRC..

HaCo
15th August 2010, 08:39
I am no big fan of rallycross, neither am I a fan of X-Games. Although it offers a lot of 'excitement' it has almost nothing to do with the endurance aspect of rallying. Ok, that aspect if not anymore what it was, but at least there is still some.

Sum up all the excitement you have over 2-3 days of rallying and compare that to a 2-minute finale of rallycross (or X-Games?). I know what to pick! :)

N.O.T
15th August 2010, 09:20
rally-cross, X games and the various show stuff, have more things in common with Touring car racing and with the F1 than with rallying....

pino
15th August 2010, 10:09
Forest/stage style any day for me :D

15th August 2010, 10:14
rally-cross, X games and the various show stuff, have more things in common with Touring car racing and with the F1 than with rallying....
X-Games is just like a SSS from a rally isn't it?

N.O.T
15th August 2010, 10:46
i think it has some stages as well but the main part is held in the stadium...never bothered to check to be honest.

GigiGalliNo1
15th August 2010, 12:18
You can't compare WRC to X Games. HAHA!

But there is a few SSS's in WRC rounds... That is all.

Mitch555
16th August 2010, 00:05
However, X Games is a good tool to be using in the USA for rallying. Live television broadcast, lots of action, sideways cars, all in a stadium. It is great for gaining new fans and making the cars really accessible to those in the city. So X-Games style has its place, and with any hope, if USA get a WRC round, they can have a super special like the previous years X Games circuit.

However, X-Games will never be good as special stage rallying, X Games is a bit of a giggle, and can definitely work in raising the profile of rallying in USA.

surfevo
16th August 2010, 02:33
Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of forest rally, but I loved seeing the wheel to wheel action and the moto style jump. X Games style will never compare unless it becomes more of an endurance race with multiple stages. The problem here is the attention span of the typical X Games viewer is very short, so the quick action is a must for the audience.

I think it would be cool to see a Targa style rally through the streets of a major city like San Francisco or LA with special stages complete with jumps at local stadiums. This could make a big impact in the US.

What did you guys thing of the mag? There is also an article at the back about a Mitsubishi Ralliart Rally car.

Kiwitahi
16th August 2010, 04:18
Totally agree with your comments about the attention span of the x games viewer. But its not surprising given the sensationalized nature of american sport thats built for television and for live viewers to get to see everything in one place whilst being in easy access of the nearest hot dog stand.

I don't think rallying will ever take off in the states. The majority of american motor sport fans would love the skill of Loeb but wouldn't appreciate the thrill of chasing him across the countryside, rain or shine, from stage to stage.

The short sprint event nature of modern WRC is already getting away from the adventure nature it had years ago. Just forget the U.S market.

WRCfan
16th August 2010, 06:22
The X-Games suits fans who need a wide range of fast food right next to them, or who need a sofa in which to spectate from. 2 minutes of 'action' and it's over. What a bore....

Bring on the real 3 day format of a real rally. Real rally drivers go rallying, the wannabe's practice on a indoor track for 3 days prior and then go out and pretend their brilliant run is down to skill not hours of practice...

MrJan
16th August 2010, 08:32
X-Games has it's place, I don't like to write it off like many other people do, but it'll never come close to walking through a forest and finding a good spot in a stage.

16th August 2010, 10:28
The X-Games suits fans who need a wide range of fast food right next to them, or who need a sofa in which to spectate from. 2 minutes of 'action' and it's over. What a bore....

Bring on the real 3 day format of a real rally. Real rally drivers go rallying, the wannabe's practice on a indoor track for 3 days prior and then go out and pretend their brilliant run is down to skill not hours of practice...
Spot on, but it would be awesome if they could get a WRC event in USA and somehow convert the US fans.

L5->R5/CR
17th August 2010, 07:03
So what do people think of rally and the US exactly...

Mitch555
17th August 2010, 08:47
So what do people think of rally and the US exactly...

I think there needs to be some subtle changes to the Rally America Series such as introducing recce and writing notes instead of the Jemba system. Also changing the classes to match up with Group N so it can be easier to attract a WRC round in the future. The thing which is holding back rallying there at the moment is the Open Class. To run at the top you have to have a highly tuned car which many people can't afford, thus another 3 odd classes exist for 4wd cars, when they could just save time by having Group N. 600bhp Fiestas at X-Games was ridicuous.

Also redefining the series, it seems weird having the Rally America and USA Championship, perhaps moving to a East, Central, and West regional championships to support Rally America. Makes more sense than having the second tier USA Rally Championship which also goes across the whole country too.

so yeah, I think it needs some change

L5->R5/CR
17th August 2010, 16:15
I think there needs to be some subtle changes to the Rally America Series such as introducing recce and writing notes instead of the Jemba system. Also changing the classes to match up with Group N so it can be easier to attract a WRC round in the future. The thing which is holding back rallying there at the moment is the Open Class. To run at the top you have to have a highly tuned car which many people can't afford, thus another 3 odd classes exist for 4wd cars, when they could just save time by having Group N. 600bhp Fiestas at X-Games was ridicuous.

Also redefining the series, it seems weird having the Rally America and USA Championship, perhaps moving to a East, Central, and West regional championships to support Rally America. Makes more sense than having the second tier USA Rally Championship which also goes across the whole country too.

so yeah, I think it needs some change

All interesting points.

We have had N4 as the top of the rung class before. The issue becomes when the US market base cars are not suitable (no 2.0 Subaru STi's for instance) it becomes difficult. The other issue is that a N4 car, because of homogulation restrictions are not always cheaper to maintain given the conditions of the US market. Numerous racers have told me point blank that an open class car is more expensive to build but cheaper to maintain and that after about 8 events the open car costs less. The Super Production classification is essentially a class that allows USDM base vehicles to get to Group N levels with common USDM parts, very similar power outputs.

You do however realize that the X Games cars were in X Games trim correct? That they do not run in that kind of power output specification on stage events (45 mm turbo restrictor versus 34 mm for stage events).

Also, the runner up in the Rally America Championship was not running the $250,000.00+ car that Ford or Subaru were but managed to get to the podium every event.

As for the argument for recce, well things are slowly going that direction. Part of the problem is Jemba is much more cost effective for many teams. Very few people in the US have proper funding in place, most are 60-90% self funded. Adding recce adds more than the cost of the Jemba notes for many teams. You have to factor that to run the 6 events in Rally America you are likely going to spend $15-25,000.00 on towing if you return to your base after every event, that's also about 15-25 days beyond the 2-5 days each event operates (we don't get that kind of paid vacation for the main part). Most events now offer one pass recce and the Jemba notes, its only a matter of time until it goes to two pases.

As for the whole United States Rally Championship and Rally America Championship, well, yeah, its weird, but what is nice is that it allows competitors choice, which can be a good thing (it also keeps more rallies viable which is also good). There are 4 Rally America regional championships to support the National Program. And now we have a "European Rally Cross" series too....

I used to think a WRC round would be fantastic for the US, but these days, I don't see it. It is VERY difficult to find suitable roads for rallying in the US, they are either too far away from any place to be a base, have too many residences on them, or are two straight. Finding 200km of stage roads that would be suitable for a WRCar may be next to impossible given the constraints of the sport here. Add to that that most companies that would be interested in supporting domestic rally plans would likely go after the WRC event for their support may end up hurting things further. There is no $5-10 million USD backing for what would be needed for a WRC event to happen at this point in the US.

Thanks for the reply though, its always interesting to see the viewpoint from across the pond.

JFL
17th August 2010, 17:57
Some of you should consider to watch a round in the European Rallycross Championship... Very many cars on a high level, and also drivers...
Something a sport I know very good missed for a few good years..
Last round in the ERC.. Norwegian commentator..
http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/658220/